• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Squad Size Upgrade

DeletedUser

Sorry to ask this again, but half the people I talk to say to do the optional Squad Size Upgrades, and half the people say not to do the optional ones. I still don't know what to do.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Sorry to ask this again, but half the people I talk to say to do the optional Squad Size Upgrades, and half the people say not to do the optional ones. I still don't know what to do.
If you always fight when you are clearing the provinces you've explored, the optional squad sizes will make that easier. If you always cater, then they do nothing for you.

If you know you are going to want to do lots and lots of tournament activity, optional squad sizes will cost you money goods and troops, because the difficulty of your tournament provinces is based on your squad size.

Even if you don't think you will do tournaments much, almost everyone who sticks around eventually starts to do more tournaments.

There are very few upsides to doing Optional Squad sizes, and significant potential downsides.

You can almost always go back and do optional SS techs later if you decide to (assuming you store enough of each guest race good before leaving the chapter) but there is NO way to "un" learn them if you decide it was a mistake.

I advise against doing them unless you know you want to do them. I also advise making sure you have enough hguest race goods to complete them if you want to, because otherwise you have to build your portal and buildings all over again.

DeletedUser

Ah thanks. That helps. I do plan to do a lot of provinces in the tournaments for all 6 rounds.

DeletedUser2870

The main point to keep in mind is the long run.
As one progresses the fights in the provinces become less and less frequent, while your ability to do tourneys increases (and the importance of what the tourney provides in terms of extras as well).
I mean, I'm at the point where scouting a new province -even with the new advanced scouts in chapter 15- takes me about 85 hours (the advanced scouts brought it down from about 96 hours). I'm not even bothering fighting those encounters anymore anyway as I want/need to save up province encounters for quests in the different events. But even if that weren't so, those 8 are easily catered.
On the other hand, I do fight the tourneys. I average anywhere between 15-25 provinces for 5 rounds each week now, depending on time available. That means AT LEAST 15x4 encounters x5rounds = 300 fights each week in the tourneys. So those are way more important than the 16-24 encounters I might get from scouting each week (and that's optimistic, not to mention those times will keep going up, so the number of province-encounters will keep going down).

As @Ashrem says, you can always go back and do them after all if you like, unlearning however cannot be done. And I really, really would love to go back and pay another amount of KPs, gold, supplies and goods to unlearn the optional squadsizes if I could.
So my advice as well : don't do them.
It may slow you down a bit at the start, and it will mean you have to cater more in the provinces, but it surely is worth it in the long run.

DeletedUser

I just realized that the Dwarven Bulwark increases training size by up to 150% of the Squad Size. Also puts out Axe Barbarians at the rate of up to 150% of the Squad Size for free every 3 hours.

But even with all that, it may still be better to not take the optional squad size upgrades due to not having as large of Squad Sizes in the Tournament rounds.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Premian
Yes, the Bulwark increases training size as a percentage of your squad size. This is why many players only upgrade it to around level 6 or so. At the end of Orcs you'll get Shrine of the Shrewdy Shrooms that increases training sized based on the number of armory levels you have. At that point, you get a better return on your kp investment by sinking it into the Shrooms instead of the Bulwark. The Shrooms will also provide barracks light range troops for free every 3 hrs (just like Bulwark provides the barracks light melee troops).

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This may be a dumb question but what is an optional squad upgrade? Are you talking about the squad upgrades in research?
Yes. The ones that have a line flowing out of them which makes them a prerequisite for another tech means they are required. The ones which are not prerequisites for another tech can be ignored, they are optional.

kctanzen

@Premian
Yes, the Bulwark increases training size as a percentage of your squad size. This is why many players only upgrade it to around level 6 or so. At the end of Orcs you'll get Shrine of the Shrewdy Shrooms that increases training sized based on the number of armory levels you have. At that point, you get a better return on your kp investment by sinking it into the Shrooms instead of the Bulwark. The Shrooms will also provide barracks light range troops for free every 3 hrs (just like Bulwark provides the barracks light melee troops).

I have them both (Shrooms and Bulwark), upgraded to level 11 so far each -- 2/3 of a squad every 3 hours for free is lovely and the training queue boosts
I avoid squad size upgrade techs as much as I can as well -- tourney benefit far outweighs the near impossible map fighting for me now.
Disclaimer: I Love Tournaments ........