• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

started a new city

Henroo

Oh Wise One
How do you choose which buildings to replace? I mostly add because I cannot figure out how to choose what should be removed/replaced.
As @iamthouth has already posted, culture or population per square are the most important factors to consider with regards to which buildings to replace. However, there is an even more basic rule of thumb you can use: just look at what chapter a building is and compare it to your current chapter. If a building is 1 chapter behind your current level, it might be worth replacing. If a building is 2 chapters behind your current level, you are almost certainly going to come out ahead if you replace it with a newly won building that does something similar. Please note that I do currently have some buildings 2 chapter out of date in my city. I would dearly like to replace these with better versions. However: I am making a concerted effort to move through the chapters as quickly as possible. I have not yet had a chance to win something which is a higher chapter version of these buildings, so I've not replace them yet.

Although you did not bring this up, another consideration is what buildings you should upgrade with Royal Restorations. In my opinion, RRs should be reserved for evolving buildings and set buildings. These are almost impossible to replace and they are normally very powerful. So it is important to keep them up to date. I generally save all my Royal Restorations for these types of buildings. Anything which is a daily prize type building, I will just replace instead of trying to upgrade.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Sorry for not giving an update on the city last week. It was a busy week at work and I was focusing on getting through the event quests in all of my cities. But mainly it just slipped my mind. LOL

In the 2 weeks since my last update, I have made a lot of progress in Dwarves. My settlement is fully in-place and is now fully upgraded. I've got the portal at L4. I ended up with 14 granite mines and 5 copper foundries and all of these are also fully upgraded. This was very different from when I played Dwarves in my previous 3 cities. In my original 3 cities, it took granite and copper to upgrade granite mines and copper foundries. Back then I spent much of the granite and copper I had made early on doing upgrades. I ended up tech locking for a day or 2 because I was focused on upgrades instead of tech advances. This was not the case this time: neither granite mines or copper foundries require any guest race goods to upgrade anymore. But the flip side of this is that they now require more gold and supplies to upgrade than they once did. Frankly, running the upgrade campaign on the granite mines while also being active in tournament and spire (and I am still heavily catering in both) nearly bankrupted me. I had to use coin rains to keep going because my city couldn't make enough gold to pay for all the upgrades while also paying catering costs in tournament and spire.

Another conclusion I reached is that my original build of 20 residences is not enough. I thought that this would be enough and that I could get the extra population I needed with pop/culture hybrid buildings. But that has not worked out. I completed all the Dwarf chapter upgrades to my existing residences and didn't have enough population to upgrade everything. Even after (finally) getting 1 magic residence to add to the total it is not enough. Now that I am done upgrading my Dwarven settlement, I have set my builders to the task of building additional residences from scratch. I'll probably end up with something like 24 or 25.

Another thing I am starting to consider is that I think I have a decent chance of making it out of Dwarves before this event ends. Quest count indicates there are 9 days left in the event. It will be close, but I think I can do it. I have not yet claimed any of the prizes for the event, so if I do manage to advance, I can claim the Verdant Phoenix as a Fairies level building instead of a Dwarf level building. Which will save me 16 RRs upgrading it...

BrinDarby

1712817548827.png

@Henroo 's City - Breakout of all ( non road need'd bldgs )
Pink = Culture .... Blue = Pop / Culture

So I have 3 questions about your strategy.

1- Most players aren't going as fast as possible. and thru need'd land they constantly
have to consolidate bldgs. See'n as you are outpacing and adding land so quickly, is
the reason for not consolidating .... SFs/CCs to use for AW upgrades, not crafting ??

2- You seem to prefer having the biggest bldgs possible, yet when your research gave
you the chance to upgrade residences, as before I'm still wondering why not upgrade
them 2 levels as you go along, rather than doing all 24 up 1 level only ?? Coins/tools
can't still be the blocker you said it was a couple chapters ago, can it ??

3- I can still tell you don't use eArchitect by your city design, and I just wonder why not
embrace it and try it ?? I was able to do a re-org and got (7) 2x2s along a road and
(1) 2x2 in limbo, with No other dead space anywhere. It was also very easy to pre-design
the next settlement area once you dump those FA workshops/T1 bldgs.... in an solid
unbroken patch of open space.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
View attachment 16991
@Henroo 's City - Breakout of all ( non road need'd bldgs )
Pink = Culture .... Blue = Pop / Culture

So I have 3 questions about your strategy.

1- Most players aren't going as fast as possible. and thru need'd land they constantly
have to consolidate bldgs. See'n as you are outpacing and adding land so quickly, is
the reason for not consolidating .... SFs/CCs to use for AW upgrades, not crafting ??

2- You seem to prefer having the biggest bldgs possible, yet when your research gave
you the chance to upgrade residences, as before I'm still wondering why not upgrade
them 2 levels as you go along, rather than doing all 24 up 1 level only ?? Coins/tools
can't still be the blocker you said it was a couple chapters ago, can it ??

3- I can still tell you don't use eArchitect by your city design, and I just wonder why not
embrace it and try it ?? I was able to do a re-org and got (7) 2x2s along a road and
(1) 2x2 in limbo, with No other dead space anywhere. It was also very easy to pre-design
the next settlement area once you dump those FA workshops/T1 bldgs.... in an solid
unbroken patch of open space.
1. When I started the city, the magic academy was utterly clogged with all of the evolving buildings. The chance of any 1 evolving building appearing was slim, but there were so many of them that they were constantly appearing. If I was ever going to have a normal magic academy and see buildings I wanted, I had to get rid of them. And the only way to do so was to make them. I will never place the majority of them, since I don't have the artifact to evolve them. Doing this has been eating up a ton of my crafting supplies, since each building is 8 CCs and 1200 SF. The good news is, I think I am nearly done. I just counted and I have 27 evolving building bases sitting in storage, as well as all 4 pieces of the chess set. I am finally starting to see the 5 day military buildings on a regular basis. I will now start stockpiling these and start stockpiling pet food. And I will keep an eye out for artifacts to upgrade my Fire Phoenix with. In addition to upgrading AWs, this will be what I spend most of my crafting materials on. At least until I reach Woodelves. Then I will start crafting Festival Merchants.
2. Gold and supplies were not an issue till I hit the upgrade cycle for this chapter. Then I went broke quick. I have the biggest main hall possible right now, it holds 5.7 million gold. A single residence upgrade takes 373K gold. A workshop upgrade takes 1.31 million. Plus I just got to the Mercenary Camp. Unlocking the tech advance took 2.5 million and then it was another 750K to build. Getting that last bit took 2 10% coin rains. So yeah, it is still an issue. Although I am trying to top the spire weekly and do a good weekly tournament score. The catering involved in this has eaten up a good bit of gold and supplies.
3. I guess I am that old dog that can't learn new tricks. Or is just too stubborn! LOL. Soggyshorts used to try to get me to use Elvenarchitect also.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
It has been a productive few weeks for the city. I was able to get to Fairies with 1 day left in the Phoenix event. Therefore, I was able to claim the Verdant Phoenix as a Fairies level building instead of a Dwarven building. This also meant I was able to tear down all my Dwarven settlement buildings and have a decent amount of space for the fellowship adventure.

Another noteworthy event was that I *FINALLY* saw the Moonstone Gate in the magic academy and was able to craft it to complete the Moonstone set. I was able to make the Mana Plant, Gum Tree, Endless Scroll, and the Library itself fairly early in the game. And then it absolutely refused to show me the Moonstone Gate, despite me checking the MA multiple times every day. It was rather frustrating, but it is over now. And moving forward, I'll be making an extra CC every day now that my Moonstone set is complete.

I am currently in the middle of an upgrade cycle for my workshops. This is going to be one of the biggest changes to my city for this chapter, since the Fairies level workshop upgrade involves a change in both size and shape. And I have 7 workshops to upgrade. I estimate this will take about 2 more days. Once I get the workshops upgraded and moved, my next step will be to start work on the Fairies settlement.

Pheryll

Set Designer
1. When I started the city, the magic academy was utterly clogged with all of the evolving buildings. The chance of any 1 evolving building appearing was slim, but there were so many of them that they were constantly appearing. If I was ever going to have a normal magic academy and see buildings I wanted, I had to get rid of them. And the only way to do so was to make them. I will never place the majority of them, since I don't have the artifact to evolve them. Doing this has been eating up a ton of my crafting supplies, since each building is 8 CCs and 1200 SF. The good news is, I think I am nearly done. I just counted and I have 27 evolving building bases sitting in storage, as well as all 4 pieces of the chess set. I am finally starting to see the 5 day military buildings on a regular basis. I will now start stockpiling these and start stockpiling pet food. And I will keep an eye out for artifacts to upgrade my Fire Phoenix with. In addition to upgrading AWs, this will be what I spend most of my crafting materials on. At least until I reach Woodelves. Then I will start crafting Festival Merchants.

This is a major problem for new accounts. You start Elvenar and then you have to play catch up for every evolving event released before you came. I don't know of too many games that penalize new players like this. Having to now use CCs and SFs on wonder leveling makes the situation even worse.

Meadowlark

This is a major problem for new accounts. You start Elvenar and then you have to play catch up for every evolving event released before you came. I don't know of too many games that penalize new players like this. Having to now use CCs and SFs on wonder leveling makes the situation even worse.
I'm newly back to the game, and the problem I see with @Henroo's strategy is that when we actually want those buildings if we've cleared them out at the beginning the ones in our inventory will be low chapters and we will have to frag them and get new ones. Which is uneconomic at best.