• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Discussion The Cauldron - Discussion Thread

Maeryn

The announcement says you can only drink 1 potion weekly. So clearly there is a weekly aspect to it. Does this mean Witch Points and ingredients reset weekly, or can you accumulate them over time? I asked upthread but never got an answer.
They reset weekly, no stockpiling trophies for extra chances and all the trophies need to be used up at the same time.

BrinDarby

Will there be a workaround for those in the old
tech tree that get Spire @ CH3, will they also
get the cauldron in CH3 ?

iamthouth

Tetris Master
I don't understand the Success Rate and Critical Effect. Is the success rate the chance of an effect, and then Critical Effect is an improvement on that again? Or, if you don't get a Critical effect, the potion won't work? If I don't add spell fragments, will I not get an effect, thus wasting the other input resources?
I can't afford any extra spell fragments, those are all needed for Crafting.

Last edited:

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
I don't understand the Success Rate and Critical Effect. Is the success rate the chance of an effect, and then Critical Effect is an improvement on that again? Or, if you don't get a Critical effect, the potion won't work? If I don't add spell fragments, will I not get an effect, thus wasting the other input resources?
Success rate is the probability to get an effect when you drink from the potion. This is determined by how many ingredients you use and not affected by spell fragments.

Critical effect is the chance that you get max duration and strength from the effects that you get, and this is increased by adding spell fragments. In my opinion you don't need to add spell fragments - your effects will just be weaker.

The Fairy

I have played with the cauldron on beta. And I actually like it. If you expect a huge benefit for free, then sure you will get disappointed, but it is possible to get a small benefit for free. And if you have a lot of spare resources then you can get a bigger benefit. I also expect it will take time to level up the benefits.

Every week you get free witch points that you can use to buy ingredients and level up (some of) the effects. I suggest focus on leveling only one or a few effects.

Yes, you can spend diamonds on buying some of the ingredients, but I have better uses of my diamonds.
And you can spend spell fragments to get a bigger effect - if you have a lot of extra spell fragments, but you don't have to.
And you can spend coins/supplies/goods to level up the effects - if you have extra of any of those, but you don't have to.

I expect to spend some resources on leveling up a few of the effects, at least in my biggest city, but I am definitely not going to spend diamonds, and probably not spell fragments either.

Another thing you can do to increase the chance for getting effects is to try to do at least 2000 points in tourney weekly (or as much as you can) to get more trophy goblets, that is more chances to drink from your potion.

I mostly fight, so my plan is to go for the troop effects and brew the potion just before I do the spire (I usually time boost most of the doors in the spire) and preferably also doing one tourney round (or all if I have zero tourney cooldown). If I get a troop effect then great, I will have a little extra help and save some troops. If not then I hope for better luck next week :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
so its useless for 2 of my 4 cities.....:eek:
nice feature......:rolleyes: ( heavy sarcasm )

OR....it useful in 2 of my cities! How lucky is that?! ("heavy sarcasm" here, too, LOL!)

I'm going to have to wait on this and see how it shakes out. Sounds very complicated and my tiny brain does not like complicated. Anybody have or know of a good chart on the "flow" of all this?

AJ

Yogi Dave

If you expect a huge benefit for free, then sure you will get disappointed, but it is possible to get a small benefit for free. And if you have a lot of spare resources then you can get a bigger benefit. I also expect it will take time to level up the benefits.
I very much like your ideas in this message on how to play for free and how/when to extend a bit beyond free. I've worried about the lower chapter members and those who in later chapters who are always out of goods dumping a lot of resources into the cauldron thinking they will get a quick return for doing that. Thus, digging a hole to climb out of generating lots of frustration and perhaps abandoning the cauldron altogether. Starting slow sounds like the way to go until you learn the nuances of it. That can set you up for the long game.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I still think they need a reset option for what you level in the cauldron. It would allow people to fix mistakes, change strategies and just play and explore it knowing it could be changed if needed. Like fellowship perks it could be a free reset every x months and diamonds after that if you want to change more often.

The Fairy

I still think they need a reset option for what you level in the cauldron. It would allow people to fix mistakes, change strategies and just play and explore it knowing it could be changed if needed. Like fellowship perks it could be a free reset every x months and diamonds after that if you want to change more often.
I too really wish they will implement that!
I imagine you may also want to change it when you grow and get access to more effects - maybe you would then rather level your new ones, but that is hard if you have already leveled some of your existing ones.

Moho

Chef
I mostly fight, so my plan is to go for the troop effects and brew the potion just before I do the spire
That's exactly what I would like to use the cauldron for as well. So, maybe I will ask you for some guidance when this feature gets implemented here. I'm really excited about my performance in the Spire right now and I would love to fight a Spire every other day...

Yogi Dave

@Mykan and @The Fairy, y'all are saying you are stuck with your mistakes forever (or lucky guesses).

From what I've read, figuring out the cauldron is too complicated to do effectively by trial and error. Almost all other aspects of the game allow resets, even if it is by painfully selling a building you have put a lot of effort into (think AWs). It will be very disheartening to find out your actions have made the cauldron untenable. The only ways I can think of to avoid that is a lot of luck or someone with the knowledge from beta to be able to direct you. Even someone from beta won't know all the nuances for all play styles and might misjudge what yours is. And there is still the problem of changing your style as the game evolves and you move into different chapters.

The Fairy

@Mykan and @The Fairy, y'all are saying you are stuck with your mistakes forever (or lucky guesses).

From what I've read, figuring out the cauldron is too complicated to do effectively by trial and error. Almost all other aspects of the game allow resets, even if it is by painfully selling a building you have put a lot of effort into (think AWs). It will be very disheartening to find out your actions have made the cauldron untenable. The only ways I can think of to avoid that is a lot of luck or someone with the knowledge from beta to be able to direct you. Even someone from beta won't know all the nuances for all play styles and might misjudge what yours is. And there is still the problem of changing your style as the game evolves and you move into different chapters.
@Yogi Dave the part you can't reset is simple enough, that is simply which of the effects you choose to level up in the studying phase - once you have leveled an effect then that is permanent. What isn't simple is which ingredients to choose in the brewing phase, but this part is only for the current week, next week you have to choose ingredients again.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@Yogi Dave the part you can't reset is simple enough, that is simply which of the effects you choose to level up in the studying phase - once you have leveled an effect then that is permanent. What isn't simple is which ingredients to choose in the brewing phase, but this part is only for the current week, next week you have to choose ingredients again.

What is also permanent is the increase in amount of individual goods, coins, supplies, mana, seeds, and orcs you spend to level up the effects. It works just like buying KP and never goes down or resets.

Something else people will need to pay attention to is that the four ingredients that cost diamonds, instead of witch points, rotates each week. So getting a desired effect one week may be free, but getting the same the next week may require diamonds.

Yogi Dave

MyBrainHurts.png

Tuschunreal

I found this feature in my Beta city to be mediocre to useless. The Caukdron is primarily for cities in the final few chapters, at the most. My Beta city is in chapter 18 and after attempting to make it work, I now mostly ignore it. My Live city at the end of chapter 20 will get some more use from this, maybe, but early chapter cities will get almost no benefit from this.
I'm new to Forum not sure if this is place but what is a Beta city?