• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The final spire battle

Jiali

I always fight my way through the battles in this game when I can. It's sometimes tough to maintain the troops required for both the tourneys and the spire. The time instants sure do help though. With that said, I'm just curious. How do you guys deal with the last battle before the gates in the spire?

- Do you fight?
- Do you negotiate?

I'm just curious about what most people are doing. For me, I can't seem to ever win this fight and I still haven't even cleared the "High Halls"

Kekune

I do both. Whether I fight or cater depends on what's needed for a particular encounter and which option seems more affordable at the moment. Even when I'm fighting a lot, I often cater the 3- wave encounters, though.

Right now, I'm fighting more because I'm trying to push a lot of upgrades so need coins, supplies, and orcs for other things. I can better take the troop hit. But if I hit a particularly ugly encounter for my troops, I'll go ahead and cater. When my city is at a standstill, I tend to cater more to dump coins and supplies and save my troops.

So... not really a helpful answer, except that I think the spire resists auto-pilot.

Alpha Lyrae

Same as @Kekune, though I'm trying to cater more because I seem to be at a point in the game where my supplies and coins are consistently maxed. Sometimes my decision depends on the expiring building(s) I have placed for the tournament and if my Fire Phoenix is fed. Too many variables to say that I always cater or always fight.

Deleted User - 3932582

This might be different for early vs late cities, but catering early on (say, first 2 levels) makes a lot of sense if you know how to play negotiation game. Your restarts will be few and costs are relatively contained. On the 3rd level catering becomes expensive as it requires a lot more restarts (or extra diamonds). So if your fighting is well developed and you have the boosters out, then fighting makes a lot of sense - unless matchups are just terrible. This does happen in 3-wave fights, so those are better off catered, and sometimes worth the extra diamonds for an extra turn in 3-waves.

The same applies to the last boss. I usually fight it, unless matchups are really bad. Then I cater, with 1 extra turn for 25 diamonds if needed for certain victory. Because even a win in this fight can drain a lot of troops, so might not be worth fighting it.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm one of the oddballs: I manually fight every encounter in the Spire. I do this because I really like manual battles, but they're so freaking slow that tourneys have become 99% autofight. Plus, tourneys are the same enemies every time, so it becomes boring. Spire fights are more interesting and provide a challenge I enjoy. Note: when the Spire came out as single player, I spent 2-3 months pretending it was a second game I played and I 'budgeted' $20/mo for diamond usage for that 'game'. I don't think I came close to using up my budget, lol. Maybe that first month. I used diamonds to restore troops while I learned. Now it's very rare for me to need to do that at all. I have run into a 3 wave boss fight at the end of the first floor once since it became multi-player that I just could not win (or it would have required hundreds of diamonds to do so) and I used the diplomacy option then.
In my elementals city I go to the first gate in the Laboratory(last chance at a teleport spell); in my elvenars city I complete the Spire each week now (did the same as my elementals city until a few weeks ago). To keep the number of troops I need to do that, I've driven my training size up (leveling Shrooms, built a few lower lvl (lvl 15 for me) armories(the increase to Shrooms training size boost from the extra armory levels is a big bump) and I feed the Brown Bear once/week and push through troops. I also try to leverage expiring military boost bldgs and feeding the fire phoenix. Ex: I can do my first tourney round with only a fed phoenix and hold off setting those bldgs out until Wed. Then, they don't expire until after the Spire launches on Sundays. With the Spire being a net gain in time boosts, I can run through the first floor on Sunday, knowing I'll get those time boosts back.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
When I clear all three floors, I auto-fight all the way to the top. It is very rare that I have a fight that I think I can't win and have to negotiate instead. I also wait til Monday afternoon or evening to start the Spire, so that the military building I put out last til the end of both the Spire and Tournament, and so that my Fire Phoenix feeding is still active to the start of the Tournament. I also have all the military-boosting AWs built, so that helps too.

qaccy

I fight all the way up. I didn't at first, but over time I figured out what works and what doesn't. It's not as 'clean' as the tournaments sometimes, especially in the multi-wave battles. Sometimes I'll be sending Cerberus against a wave of mostly light melee instead of Vallorians or Frogs because the second wave has a ton of mages in it. Stuff like that. But not everyone will be able to do that, far from it probably. Tons of investment into military and a Fire Phoenix are practically required for successful fighting in the Spire. Beats having to maintain a stock of unboosted sentient goods though in my book!

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I don't get how people cater and only spend relatively small amount of diamonds. The times that I just haven't had the troops and catered it has cost too much! I've been upgrading battle related AW since the Spire started and that seems to help some but not enough. If I don't have a few boost buildings I hate it because of the waste of inventory & diamonds. I just keep wondering how the catering is anything but a guessing game.

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I don't get how people cater and only spend relatively small amount of diamonds. The times that I just haven't had the troops and catered it has cast too much! I've been upgrading battle related AW since the Spire started and that seems to help some but not enough. If I don't have a few boost buildings I hate it because of the waste of inventory & diamonds. I just keep wondering how the catering is anything but a guessing game.

I cater nearly everything in the spire (I may fight the first one or two chests, but not often). I don't spend diamonds. If I can't win without them, I'll withdraw and start again. Yesterday I had to withdraw 6x at the froggie before the door to the lab, but in the end, I got him and he gave me 75 diamonds. Yes, I use a ton of resources, and sometimes go so low I can't get the next chest, so I have to wait hours. But I have good neighbors that always buy my boosts quickly (I offer a 5 percent discount every time, so always a 3 star trade), and I build up quickly again. And I have a lot of tier one boosts. Even the new players need those, so you'll always get lots of trades. I have 8 tier one, 5 tier 2 and 4 tier three boosted manufactories, plus 7 workshops. They are all maxed to my level (fairies) or close to maxed. I suppose I could fight, having 4 maxed armories and a level 8 fire phoenix (plus a level 2 MM that I just put down a week ago). But so far I haven't used those for fighting.

I get to the lab and sometimes half way through it, although I haven't gone completely to the top yet. Usually time runs out waiting for the doors to open (I haven't used time instants on them, wanting to save them for buildings.) So it is possible to cater quite far in the lab without using diamonds. If I used time instants, I believe it would be possible to get to the top by only catering.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Darielle Thanks! I hadn't really thought about withdrawing and trying again. I'm not even sure I can afford to do much of that. The way they calculate the difficulty in the Spire goes up steeply for large cities. I have compared it to a couple of smaller cities I have and the difference is huge. I have 11 Magic Workshops, 10 tier 1, 9 tier 2, 8 tier 3, 1 tier 4, 1 tier 5, 2 tier 6, 5 armories, 400+ AW levels and level 10 Fire Phoenix. And still cannot seem to make enough troops to finish all 3 levels of the Spire every week and do anything in the tournament. I've tried everything else to make it tolerable so next week I'll try it your way :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
@Darielle Thanks! I hadn't really thought about withdrawing and trying again. I'm not even sure I can afford to do much of that. The way they calculate the difficulty in the Spire goes up steeply for large cities. I have compared it to a couple of smaller cities I have and the difference is huge. I have 11 Magic Workshops, 10 tier 1, 9 tier 2, 8 tier 3, 1 tier 4, 1 tier 5, 2 tier 6, 5 armories, 400+ AW levels and level 10 Fire Phoenix. And still cannot seem to make enough troops to finish all 3 levels of the Spire every week and do anything in the tournament. I've tried everything else to make it tolerable so next week I'll try it your way :)
Your level is so much higher than mine, that I hope it works for you. I think maybe in some ways I'm lucky that I'm at a low enough level to manage ... there are strengths and weaknesses in this game for both high level and low level players. I'll exploit mine while I can. :) Good luck to you.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Your level is so much higher than mine, that I hope it works for you. I think maybe in some ways I'm lucky that I'm at a low enough level to manage ... there are strengths and weaknesses in this game for both high level and low level players. I'll exploit mine while I can. :) Good luck to you.

Seriously, I think sometimes we get like Tim the Tool Man. "More Power!" :D Actually stepping back and doing something the easier way might be exactly what it takes to not hate the Spire so much. Thanks!

Adding: Because I refuse to throw tons of diamonds at the darn thing!

DeletedUser19458

I manual fight all the way up; have never catered. Sometimes auto-fight if in hurry, but manual fight limits the losses. I never went past first level until the teams version now I finish it every week. 75% of time I go with Blossom Mage(3*) and Frogs(2*) and their combo, with Fire Chicken, can win most fights. I don't buy diamonds (nor spend any on Spire). And my FS usually gets to silver medal so I earn enough 5hr boosts to replace any troops I use (with Brown Bear). I probably also spend around 4-5 pet foods a week between it and tourney.

I do not find Spire difficult to complete, but this is heavily dependent on my city setup to fight and mass produce troops. Also no Fire Chicken and/or no Brown Bear and it'd be different story.

DeletedUser25004

I usually budget having 25-50 diamonds ready for the last encounter, so i can cater in first try. I prefere spending a few diamonds to make the overall burden lower so i can focus on other things. and well the spire does pay the diamonds back!