• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Other "Why I'm better than everyone else" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
You misrepresent me in a couple of ways, @ajqtrz
I have not advocated for a higher speed limit, nor have I advocated that people should be allowed to drive faster. I have repeatedly said it's not my, or your, or anyone else's role to block the passing lane to slow them down. I feel I am safest if those who want to drive faster than me are able to do so without having to tailgate or get angry at other drivers. In this matter, I am somewhat of a libertarian. I don't feel any responsibility toward setting the driving-speed of my fellow citizens, and I resent that the government has repeatedly used false arguments to justify it. I think the primary goal is to raise income via fines, and if they came out and said that, I would happily cheer them on for every ticket they wrote.

My perception of the problem in our communications is that you keep thinking I care about going faster, when I don't. I just don't want random citizens thinking that they are in the right when they occupy the passing lane while not going as fast as a large portion of the population wants to go. If the passing lane is clear, it's less likely that someone will follow me too close for safety. I happen to feel that is a bigger danger to my family than people who go faster than the speed limit. The speed limit, and the legality, and the morality of these things is secondary to my desire to be safer. Nothing we do happens in a vacuum. One person's decision affects the mode and responsiveness of other drivers. When "controller" types are smug about their "obeying the law" that has the side effect of forcing other drivers to drive slower than they want, they are needlessly exacerbating a dangerous situation and I think it is a poor justification for exerting power over other people.

To sum up my position:
It is not your or my business to decide if someone else has a reason for the speed they are traveling. The argument that people are justified in blocking a lane that might be needed to save the life of someone because they are doing the speed limit is easily as self-centered, and potentially as dangerous to my life, as is the decision by others to speed.​

DeletedUser

When going from comic book to movie, if you're going to drop in a well-established and well-loved character, and tell everyone that you're doing so, it's appreciated if the film character at least resembles the comic character in more than just their name. o_O

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
This is still quite misleading. Even if we assume your number is correct, what does it equate to? 5mph doesn't mean 12% chance of accident, just 12% increased chance. Increased from what? 0.00000001%? that's 0.0000000112%, not a very noticeable change.
Distracted driving, vehicle and road conditions including traffic all play a huge role, and in combination with speed may increase accidents, so a blanket statement that 5mph= 12% increased risk is simply incomplete.
If we had all variables accounted for and a massive amount of data then I'd be able to get behind your statement.

I disagree here as well. They are following too closely because they are crappy drivers. These are people my father used to refer to as "an accident looking for a place to happen"
Their motivation for speeding may be because they are in a hurry, or maybe their assessment of all of the current conditions lead them to the conclusion that 5mph faster does not carry sufficient increased risk to be concerned about. Is your assessment more accurate than theirs?

I came on today to say that overall I have mixed up the percentage of accidents and severity of accidents caused by increased speeds. I did too much from memory and did not go back to my notes from a few years ago and thus used the "severity" percentages as the "accident rate increase." I am truly sorry and have learned that I should not trust my memory so much. However, while the 12% should have been 1.5% (per 5mph) increased chance of getting into an accident, it is still and increased chance AND and increase in the severity of that accident.

The "traveling too close" syndrome relates to the rate of passing. Those who travel too close have 4 times the rate of lane changes than those who do not. These lane changes result in passing the person they were following 90% of the time. The state of Michigan has done numerous studies of this, as well as several others. So the implication is pretty strong that they want to speed but are held back by the car in front of them until they find a way to go around it. It is not proof but I think a good indication of motive.

As for that the "risk does not carry sufficient increased risk to be concerned about" I do have to say that the risk to YOU may not be sufficient enough to be concerned, but usually when you are in an accident you are not the only one in the accident. Philosophically speaking while you do have a right, I think, to increase or decrease your risk, you do not have the right increase my risk, especially if the results are an increased chance of my being seriously hurt or killed. We share the road and we share the risk. The best option is to reduce the risk where we can and the best way to do that is to have everybody agree to obey the speed limits...period.

Now one more thing I haven't said about all this. You have a license, right? When you took your driving test you didn't speed did you? Why? Because you wouldn't have received that license if you had sped. Right? Furthermore, you understand that speeding is breaking a law (there may be a few isolated situations where it isn't but we aren't talking about those rare circumstances but about the general run of the mill speeding many people do). So when you got your license did you not agree to obey the speed limits? You may not have said it or even written it, but try fighting a ticket with the reasoning: "I never agreed to obey the speed limit!" Accepting the license means you accepted the responsibility to obey the laws. Did you lie? Is your word worth so little? It should be a matter of personal honor I think, to keep your word. Just another reason I think, to stop speeding.

AJ

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
However, while the 12% should have been 1.5% (per 5mph)
That's a pretty big difference, and honestly calls into question every other stat you've thrown at us.
The "traveling too close" syndrome relates to the rate of passing. Those who travel too close have 4 times the rate of lane changes than those who do not.
This is no surprise to me at all, and I don't do either of those.
So when you got your license did you not agree to obey the speed limits?
I agreed that if I speed I may get a ticket, and if ticketed will pay the fine. I'm ok with that.
"Accepting the license means you accepted the responsibility to obey the laws or you may have to pay a fine" is how that sentence ends.

I think you have mistakenly lumped too many drivers into one group.
When I say that my monthly 200 mile trips are taken at 90 instead of 60 I imagine you are picturing heavy traffic with 80% of people doing 60 and me changing lanes every couple miles after tailgating.
The fact is The highway I take is nearly empty, or filled with drivers all doing the same speed 4-8 seconds apart from each other. Sure, sometimes a big semi is in the left lane while they pass a slower semi and they are only doing 70 or 80, but all that means is I slow down to the same speed and hang back until he moves over again. During most of these trips I make zero lane changes.
Same goes for city driving, I generally go to the lane I will eventually need to turn from right away and stay there speeding with the flow of traffic. If the guy in front of me isn't speeding, then neither am I.

Accepting the license means you accepted the responsibility to obey the laws. Did you lie? Is your word worth so little? It should be a matter of personal honor I think, to keep your word.
This is quite the reach. I didn't get my address changed on my drivers licence when I moved for a few months, does that make my word worth less? My friends and I also hold a monthly poker game for real money which is against the law, so I guess we're all honorless criminals too?
You must be fun at parties. Get off your high horse.

DeletedUser188

One thing that bother me is the lack of moderators on this forum
It allows threads like this one to disintegrate into what it is now 2 players bickering back and forth
I wont give my opinion in this thread about what bothers me in RL
Because when I do it will be dissected by the know it alls or someone will be insulted by it or they will insult me because of it
Remember it is a thread asking for our opinion
THERE ARE NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS

DeletedUser

Parents who allow their small children to wander around unattended.

ajqtrz

That's a pretty big difference, and honestly calls into question every other stat you've thrown at us.

This is no surprise to me at all, and I don't do either of those.

I agreed that if I speed I may get a ticket, and if ticketed will pay the fine. I'm ok with that.
"Accepting the license means you accepted the responsibility to obey the laws or you may have to pay a fine" is how that sentence ends.

I think you have mistakenly lumped too many drivers into one group.
When I say that my monthly 200 mile trips are taken at 90 instead of 60 I imagine you are picturing heavy traffic with 80% of people doing 60 and me changing lanes every couple miles after tailgating.
The fact is The highway I take is nearly empty, or filled with drivers all doing the same speed 4-8 seconds apart from each other. Sure, sometimes a big semi is in the left lane while they pass a slower semi and they are only doing 70 or 80, but all that means is I slow down to the same speed and hang back until he moves over again. During most of these trips I make zero lane changes.
Same goes for city driving, I generally go to the lane I will eventually need to turn from right away and stay there speeding with the flow of traffic. If the guy in front of me isn't speeding, then neither am I.

This is quite the reach. I didn't get my address changed on my drivers licence when I moved for a few months, does that make my word worth less? My friends and I also hold a monthly poker game for real money which is against the law, so I guess we're all honorless criminals too?
You must be fun at parties. Get off your high horse.

I do make mistakes and when I do it's important to me to correct them AND to recheck recheck things. I did and the stats used are accurate as corrected.

So here's the thing. I don't even agree to not steal your car. I make no public or private statement to do so and thus, if I do it I'm not breaking my word. So it's okay as long as I don't get caught? Did you tell anyone when you got your license that you intended to take the fines when and if you got caught? When you take anything from the government under license it is assumed you intend to do as the license entitles you to do and refrain from doing what it does not entitle you to do, which is, in this case, to speed. Yot aur argument is just another "it's okay as long as I get away with it." Since this is your attitude I assume you are morally okay with my stealing your car as long as I get away with it?

It's nice that you are a careful driver and don't tailgate, but if you are doing 90 the roads must be pretty darn empty since you don't change lanes AND you when you come to a slower dri wholver you slow down to their speed. I suspect that if these things are true all the time then you wouldn't bother doing 90 as you would just need to slow down to the speed limit pretty often anyway. But maybe the roads you drive are empty
The whole idea that you are a person who, apparently, thinks it's really up to you to decide if you obey the laws or not (the only criteria being if you can get away with it or not), is a pretty flimsy base for a prosperous society. Give it some thought and you'll see that most third world countries are based on that idea....you want to live in one of those?

Finally, your personal driving habits are not an argument for speeding but only a statement of your experience. Such statements may be accurate, but they are insufficient as evidence of what, scientifically speaking, you should do to allow ALL persons to get to their destinations safely and as quickly as possible. The roads are a shared resource and our right to use them in safety depends on ALL of us being willing to work together and sometimes sacrifice our own time and energy to keep them safe and efficient. Speeding over the speed limit is an inherently selfish act in almost all cases.

AJ

SoggyShorts

When you take anything from the government under license it is assumed you intend to do as the license entitles you to do and refrain from doing what it does not entitle you to do, which is, in this case, to speed.
I don't believe the government is infallible. Many laws make sense, and should be strictly adhered to, but not all of them in all circumstances. If I'm in an empty parking lot and need to move my vehicle 4 stalls forward I might not bother to buckle up. I'm sure you can give me stats that show not wearing a seatbelt increases my chance of a collision turning fatal by xx%, but I think I can make that judgement call.
When I got a blockbuster card the agreement was that I'd return a 2 day rental in 2 days, or pay a fine. I don't feel I was breaking my word when I returned it in 3 days and paid my fine.
Yot aur argument is just another "it's okay as long as I get away with it." Since this is your attitude I assume you are morally okay with my stealing your car as long as I get away with it?
Your slippery slope argument is nonsense. Weed is illegal, so because I smoked a joint while camping this year I must be ok with you raping and murdering children as long as you don't get caught, right? Ridiculous.
It's nice that you are a careful driver and don't tailgate, but if you are doing 90 the roads must be pretty darn empty since you don't change lanes AND you when you come to a slower dri wholver you slow down to their speed.
Yes, they are nearly empty, or have mostly cars that are also speeding as I have said multiple times. It's a highway between 2 major cities with not a whole lot in between.
. I suspect that if these things are true all the time then you wouldn't bother doing 90 as you would just need to slow down to the speed limit pretty often anyway. But maybe the roads you drive are empty
Well you suspect wrongly. My truck has a governor at just over 90 which I avoid, but I drive as fast as the person in front of me while maintaining an appropriate distance up to 90, as do many of my fellow drivers. It's not uncommon that I follow the same vehicle for over an hour doing this. Not sure how many times I have to explain that.
The whole idea that you are a person who, apparently, thinks it's really up to you to decide if you obey the laws or not (the only criteria being if you can get away with it or not)
The "get away with it" reasoning is not mine, it's just a motive that you have come up with. I am not convinced that what I am doing increases the risk to myself or others. That is massively different than stealing someones car (as you keep comparing it to) where the harm is guaranteed and intentional.

Simply put I believe that 10% over the limit (in the city) under reasonable circumstances does not carry significant increased risk.
In fact, I think that with experience and a new vehicle I am just as safe if not safer at 10% over with the flow of traffic than a new driver driving a PoS with partly worn brakes who is doing exactly the speed limit.
We are talking about 27.5 mph in a 25 zone. 44 in a 40 zone. Depending on when you last had your speedometer calibrated and how inflated your tires are you might not even know you are going 10% over. We have a lot of stationary photo radar here(no cop needed) and they are set to go off at 7mph over the limit.
Speed limits are still required as not everyone has the same experience, vehicle, or ability to reason. If it's raining or I'm not familiar with the road conditions, or if there is light to heavy traffic, or a myriad of other factors, I adjust my speed accordingly. Not everyone does this, so speed limits are needed. Cops can't know who is a good driver, and don't have the time to do vehicle inspections, so if I get a ticket I'm willing to pay.

ajqtrz

One thing that bother me is the lack of moderators on this forum
It allows threads like this one to disintegrate into what it is now 2 players bickering back and forth
I wont give my opinion in this thread about what bothers me in RL
Because when I do it will be dissected by the know it alls or someone will be insulted by it or they will insult me because of it
Remember it is a thread asking for our opinion
THERE ARE NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS
You aren't going to like my reply, LOL.

First, if you are of the opinion that there aren't any wrong or right answers I beg to differ. 2+2 does have a tautologically right answer. It's 4. Anything beyond tautological answers, though, are more or less right or wrong. Thus, if I say grass is good for cows, there is a small chance that I am wrong because to determine that, I would need to first define what I mean by "good," "grass", and "cattle," all three of which could be argued. Anything non-measurable and non-tautological is more subject to interpretation, and thus to being more or less right or wrong. The underlying "there is not right or wrong" idea is an overstatement of the idea that all interpretive statements of right and wrong are opinions (which is true). I would share the philosophical history of the conclusion you have put forth, but that would produce a real wall of text, and be too much for even me to put in this post. So I won't.

But what I will do is give an idea about what I mean by "more or less right or wrong." A thing which is more right or wrong is more right or wrong based upon criteria. Those criteria come from a number of sources, reason, logic, feelings, experience, effectiveness, authority, etc. Traditionally these are the sources of persuasion -- i.e. why we come to conclusions about things. If something makes logical sense to us, if we feel good about it, if we have good reasons for concluding it to be true, if those we trust to know say it's a good thing to thing true, if it works in our life and if our experiences prove to us it works, then we have a tendency to think of it as right or true. If, on the other hand, those things are not true, if in our personal experience it doesn't appear to work, if it seems unreasonable, if it's not logical, if authorities deny it's true, etc...then we reject it at true. Each of us does all this "analysis" almost instantly and each of us seldom questions our judgements about the matter. That is unless all, or some, of those things get challenged. If somebody gives us good reasons for believing the opposite, if the thing we believe no longer works in our lives, if we find evidence that it's not true, if the authorities deny it's validity, and so one, then we begin to question our belief, and if we do that long enough, we reject the idea as true.

Now there are sources of persuasion more reliable than others. By this I mean that some things have a greater impact on our beliefs than others. I give you good statistical evidence that something is more dangerous when before you felt it was not, that is a small bit of evidence that undermines our confidence in your conclusion that the thing is not dangerous. If you experience the danger of the activity described, that can undermine your belief in the safety of the activity. If authorities come out and condemn the action as "dangerous" you are more prone to change your beliefs than if they did not. What we believe is dependent upon a whole bunch of things, but the things which convince us of the right or wrong of our positions fall into three traditional classes: experience, authority and reason. Each of us has a propensity to pay attention to one of these more than the other (our ontological world view), and thus each of us is persuaded by evidence in different ways. Most people are most convinced by their personal experience. (physicalist). Some are convinced by the norm of the group or by the authorities recognized by the group (societist). And a few are convinced by reason and logic (mentalists). The ratio of physicalist to societiests to mentalists is about 80-15-5 for men and 75-20-5 for women. Thus, a vast majority of people do not pay much attention to the rational/logical evidence or even what their authorities say. Most people focus on what they experience and thus most people, when challenged with reason/logic resort to their personal experience to defend there position. Others look to their group and the authorities of that group and decide based upon the position of their leadership. Few look to the actual scientific evidence of their position because it's not the "ontological world" they inhabit.

All this is a rather long winded explanation of why there is "more or less" right and wrong. It's just that the "more or less" isn't measured on the same scale by every person. All do believe there is "right and wrong" but most do not pay attention to the traditional basis for "right and wrong" used and taught since the Greeks, the "logic and reason" basis of determining what is right and wrong.

So in the end you are wrong if you say there is no right or wrong, it's just that you've been taken in by a philosophical overstatement of the situation. Right and wrong do exist, but we disagree on how to measure them.

AJ

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
None of which changes Ted's correctness that the thread is about things that bother us, and attempting to school people about why they have no right to be bothered by those things is not helpful. The technical legalities of various things do not affect the "rightness" of someone being bothered by those things.

ajqtrz

@ SoggyShorts

To your points that government is not infallible and that you “can make that judgement” about the risks involved, I reply: While I appreciate your experience for yourself, I doubt the data set is large enough to extrapolate to everybody else.

To your comparison of your license agreement with your Blockbuster agreement, I reply: In what ways can the government adjust the driving situation so that driving over the speed limit by 10mph does not result in an increase in traffic fatalities and accidents? Blockbuster can adjust their business model to cover the need for greater inventory to cover people who break their agreements. The government cannot wave a magic wand to bring back from the dead.

To your argument that I am putting up a “slippery slope” argument I must clarify what a “slippery slope” argument is. It is an argument that says that if X happens it will naturally lead to Y. The results of driving over the speed limit do not lead to my stealing your car therefore it is not a “slippery slope” argument. What leads to my stealing your car is an attitude that it’s okay for me to do so as long as I can get away with it. The situations may, in your opinion, be far apart in the consequences, but they are both the result of the same attitude on the part of the law breaker. My question is not about a “slippery slope” but if the underlying attitude of the speeder and the car thief isn’t the same, and if you accept it in the case of speeding why you would reject in the case of car theft. You might argue that the resultant harm is greater in the theft, but upon what basis? I tell you science tells you something about how you should drive, but you reject science as a measure of what you should do. The thief sees his theft as a minor inconvenience since you have insurance. I assume that a life ending accident would be more significant. That the thieves stealing your car always results in a minor inconvenience may mean that the overall amount of harm is more, but the one death caused by speeding is, I think, a bit more valuable than all the minor inconveniences of a stolen car. It’s not a slippery slope, it’s a parallel case.

To your point that the roads are “nearly empty” I say: “Nearly” is not empty. You did say you don’t switch lanes often. So, at the beginning of a trip, if come upon a person doing 70 (I’m assuming that’s the speed limit in the rural area) you will drive 20mph slower than your usual 90mph the entire 2 hour trip? You won’t pass but remain 7 car lengths back? If you are comfortable doing the speed limit why not just do it all the time and forget about increasing your risk of injury and accident?

And what of the increased danger to yourself? Is there no one in your life who would rather you return with a broken leg than in a body bag? Do you think they wish for you to increase your chance of serious injury by nearly 50% (24% per 10mph over the speed limit).? Ask them straight out. Say, “Do you mind me driving in such a way that I increase my chance of serious injury should I get in an accident by nearly 50%?” What do you think they will say? I suspect they won’t say, “It’s okay just don't get into an accident.”

To your point that your vehicle will not let you go over 90mph, I reply: See above. (LOL)

To your observation that you did not argue that you are driving as you are because you could “get away with it” I concur to some degree that you did not put that forth directly. However, economically it is a justified claim since for you the fine is worth the risk (as you have said). All that means is that you can afford the fine and thus “get away with” paying the fine instead of driving the limit. If the fine were higher, much, much higher, at some point you would not be able to afford it and either drive the speed limit or quit driving. Thus, “get away with it” does not mean you aren’t caught, but that if you are caught you simply choose to take the consequences as an alternative way to fulfill the “contract” of driving.

In addition, I ask: “What data would you believe if you don’t believe the measurements done over and over by many agencies both private and public around the world in every possible corner of it where it can be measured?

To your 10% argument in city driving I say:

I tend to agree with you that many city streets are at too low a speed. But so far the argument has been in response to the original post complaining of somebody driving "too slow" in the "fast lane." Thus, this argument is focused on highway driving.

To your “flow of traffic” argument I must point out that it’s a a red herring. Traffic speeds vary along almost every section of the highway, especially the more congested sections. My argument is one to get that traffic flowing so that there is a “flow of traffic.” Your perception that there is a flow rate is not supported by the statistics where the average difference between the faster cars and the slower is between 10 and 30mph. People do not drive the same speed as you, though those that do give you the sense that traffic is flowing along at your speed. It's an illusion.

Given that people drive at different speeds you wish to have everybody drive at YOUR speed, right? You have to get to that point logically because you reject the speed of the engineers who set the speed limit (see above where you reject the governments’ ability to set speeds you trust). Upon what basis should I, or anybody, accept your speed as the proper flow of traffic? You can’t appeal to an objective standard because you’ve rejected objective standards.

To your iteration of city speeds and how 10% changes them I reply:

See above. (LOL, again)

Finally, the following needs quoted for it is a new argument and new arguments should get better treatment.

Speed limits are still required as not everyone has the same experience, vehicle, or ability to reason. If it's raining or I'm not familiar with the road conditions, or if there is light to heavy traffic, or a myriad of other factors, I adjust my speed accordingly. Not everyone does this, so speed limits are needed. Cops can't know who is a good driver, and don't have the time to do vehicle inspections, so if I get a ticket I'm willing to pay.

Of all your arguments this seems the most interesting to me. I’m not sure of its’ accuracy, but it is an idea. The cops don’t know your experience or auto condition so they pull you over for speeding and you (I presume happily) pay the fine. But wait! You are on the road with less experienced drivers, right? With worse cars? Hmm…. How do you know the car in front of you now is an experienced driver? What if that young, inexperienced driver is behind you doing 100mph? What if they want to pass you? You will let them, no doubt. But in doing so aren’t you increasing the risk of their causing you an accident? 100mph is FAST! and an inexperienced driver shouldn’t be doing that. They should obey the speed limits because everybody knows those limits were for inexperienced drivers with bad cars, right? But they, like you, have determined they are experienced enough to drive 100mph, so why would you complain? In fact, they think just like you. They think they can get away with it and will be willing to pay the fine if they are caught. They think the speed limits aren’t for them. They think they are quite capable of driving 100mph. So when they lose control, slam into the side of your vehicle, shoving you off the road, you will lay in your hospital bed assured that they were doing exactly like you are doing, driving according to their own measure of the situation based upon their own experience with driving. And so, as you lay in that hospital bed, I’m quite certain you will not judge them too harshly, right?

If you do decide to judge them pretty harshly because they should have known, ask yourself how they should have known? Statistics about the dangers? You reject the statistics. Scientific findings about young drivers? You reject the measures of science. That they were willing to risk getting caught or getting into an accident? You accept the clearly greater chance of an accident and serious increase in bodily harm from greater speed. The only difference between them and you is that you argue their experience and the condition of their auto should tell them to drive slower. But you have no objective basis for doing so because you reject what science says. Why shouldn’t they therefore just reject your measure of the situation and drive however they feel comfortable?

In the end you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say your measure of the dangers of driving this way or that are more significant or should be obeyed over anybody else’s. You can’t reject clear measures and then claim others should have paid attention to those measures and driven accordingly.

In the end, the only answer that can given to the question of driving safely is to drive by the statistics and reduce the risk of accident and increased severity by driving the way that is posted. If everybody did that, instead of driving by their own judgments (i.e.feelings) all the traffic would be traveling at the same rate and in the same direction and therefore there would be NO RISK of an accident.

AJ

ajqtrz

None of which changes Ted's correctness that the thread is about things that bother us, and attempting to school people about why they have no right to be bothered by those things is not helpful. The technical legalities of various things do not affect the "rightness" of someone being bothered by those things.

You are probably right. But when somebody put out there that they are bothered by something why would you say it if you didn't want a response? That the response is not as you like may be more of the problem than a response. If I had agreed would my interlocutors have responded as they did? No, it's that I think the person being bothered by it shows a marked misunderstanding of freeway driving, a misunderstanding which too often leads to severe consequences. If they had said they were bothered by people thinking there was a "fast lane" when there is not, do you not think somebody would have responded as I did to the opposite statement?

How about this. Let's pretend I DID say "I'm bothered by people who think there's a fast lane when there is not." Now let us go from there.

Better yet, I'll make a post where this whole conversation can be out of this thread. I should have attempted to do it much earlier and I regret having not done so.

AJ

shimmerfly

Looooong drug out discussions about highways and speed limits and really taking a fun thread to the pits.
Meaning no offense to anyone but this happens frequently o_O

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
You are probably right. But when somebody put out there that they are bothered by something why would you say it if you didn't want a response? That the response is not as you like may be more of the problem than a response. blah blah

You continue to willfully miss the point when people talk about the point of this thread.
Yes someone can reply to another's opinion but it should go like this;

Ash: I really hate the fact that 2+2=4. I hate 4. It is a bad luck number. Nothing but bad ever comes from having a 4 in my life.
AJ: I'm totally the opposite. I love that 2+2=4 because that means I actually have twice as much value in that number than in any of the individual numbers I had originally.

But here is what you insist on doing;

Ash: I really hate the fact that 2+2=4. I hate 4. It is a bad luck number. Nothing but bad ever comes from having a 4 in my life.
AJ: Well that is just wrong, you are totally ignoring all natural laws and blah blah blah Copernicus yada yada Pythagoras and International law forbids the use of the "=" sign in any other but yada yada honor blah blah truth justice and apple pi has brought forth on this continent a new land conceived in trigonometry etc etc etc
ad nauseum

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
And as to what this is really about

Someone mentioned comic books

I hate when Hollywood takes a great book and decides that they need to "improve" the story when they adapt it to film.

And on a related note, don't get me started on the LOTR movies that many of you think are great. -_-

SoggyShorts

I tell you science tells you something about how you should drive, but you reject science as a measure of what you should do.
I most certainly do not reject science, I reject the numbers you have provided. Think a little more about them instead of blindly swallowing them. Just look at this one:
1.5% (per 5mph) increased chance of getting into an accident
1. What is the base chance of an accident?
Without this information the 1.5% is meaningless.
2. Average is a garbage measurement in this case. I don't believe that the increase is linear. In fact it's probably closer to being exponential. See #3
3. This would seem to imply that someone doing 190mph in a school zone is only increasing the chance by 50%. Really?
Does that sound right to you? Driving at racing speeds only doubles your chances of an accident?

. So, at the beginning of a trip, if come upon a person doing 70 (I’m assuming that’s the speed limit in the rural area) you will drive 20mph slower than your usual 90mph the entire 2 hour trip? You won’t pass but remain 7 car lengths back? If you are comfortable doing the speed limit why not just do it all the time and forget about increasing your risk of injury and accident?
Comfortable, yes. Happy, no. Sometimes I leave late for my trip, or it's a long weekend etc so there are more cars on the road. On those days I do the same speed as the guy in front of me like always, and it just takes longer.

In addition, I ask: “What data would you believe if you don’t believe the measurements done over and over by many agencies both private and public around the world in every possible corner of it where it can be measured?
An independent peer reviewed study with GPS installed on a few thousand vehicles would be a start. I would like to see how many more accidents happen when driving 10% over the limit that could have been avoided at the limit.
To your argument that I am putting up a “slippery slope” argument I must clarify what a “slippery slope” argument is. It is an argument that says that if X happens it will naturally lead to Y.
The slippery slope is that you seem to be saying if speeding is ok, then this must be too, so then this should be as well etc etc.
Perhaps I used the phrase inappropriately, but that doesn't make your comparison of speeding and car theft any less ridiculous.
As I said before, why stop there? If people smoke weed and think it's ok because they can get away with it, they must be ok with genocide as long as you get away with it right? It's a garbage argument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.