• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tiny Culture 1-Space Wide is All Horizontal--Need Some Vertical Culture

kclarke

Has anyone noticed that the tiny culture buildings 1-space wide are all horizontal, going left to right? I have lots of little vertical gaps (top to bottom) in my city and can't find anything to fill them except 1x1 buildings. All my stored culture is 2,3 or 4 x 1. I can't find anything that's 1 x 2,3 or 4. We could use a few of those, perhaps something to craft in the MA or a bonus like the winter lampions.

Rp44

Yes, I was sad to see the 1×2s left off of the shuffleboard in the last winter event and miss the beautiful 1×3(?) from previous Phoenix events. It would be lovely to see more tiny 1x2 culture, perhaps as seasonal replacements for the 2×1 winter stuff that is in the MA year-round (no added recipes please).

As an aside, some of us see /orient cities opposite from your description here, so your use of horizontal and vertical confused me at first. I am so, so glad that EA has a rotate feature or I'd have to look at my screen sideways to understand it. ;)

kclarke

All the unicorns are vertical 2x1 buildings. And there are many 2x1 and 3x1 and 4x1 vertical buildings in the regular store that you buy with coins and/or goods.
Vertical means up and down, which would be 1 wide by whatever. All those buildings are horizontal, wider left to right and only 1 from top to bottom.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Vertical means up and down, which would be 1 wide by whatever.

Yes, and those are to me when I look at the game screen. I don't care that elven architect rotates the screen the wrong way, which you can change by the way, in the settings there. I look at the screen and rotate it 45 degrees clockwise to make things vertical and horizontal. Other people seem to think it should be rotated counterclockwise, like the default setting on architect.

Deleted User - 849411552

Yes, and those are to me when I look at the game screen. I don't care that elven architect rotates the screen the wrong way, which you can change by the way, in the settings there. I look at the screen and rotate it 45 degrees clockwise to make things vertical and horizontal. Other people seem to think it should be rotated counterclockwise, like the default setting on architect.
I didn't realize I could rotate Elven Architect to agree with the game's interpretation of north or "Up". Thanks for that. :)

kclarke

I think you guys are missing the point. All the small culture buildings are the same and cannot be rotated in your city, regardless of what you do in ElvenArchitect. We need some that go in the other direction.

Zoof

I can appreciate the 1x1s but when you redesign your city, it's a pain trying to move 37 of them around. :D
Can attest to the pain of it all; I keep a bottle of naproxen sodium tablets on my desk for a reason, yanno. To be more serious, though? If you can swing it, deleting them would be easier when you're going across chapter boundaries since the next chapter's craftables are usually a bit better.

Imagine the pain of those who keep entire ZIP codes worth of Moonstone Library sets, trees included. Or the parts with nothing but trees. I hope they got the good stuff on hand to help with the pain

Flashfyre

Hmm....maybe a "tiny house" set, with a variety of garden sheds, she-sheds, hermit hangouts and suchlike, half of them oriented 1x2 and the other half 2x1.

Which brings to mind a potential "mini-set", with a 1x3 or 3x1 base building, and the others would attach around it. Production and benefits scaled down, of course.

BrinDarby

by CH 4, you should be able to -build- ... 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, 1x3, 3x1 culture bldgs.
Problem is they aren't very good per/tile ....

Last (2) PObox or shuffleboard events, full size 2nd/3rd prizes were given,
rather than the smaller ones in the previous events.

Finally, -vertical/horizontal- both means say 1x3 & 3x1, but also which way
that bldg faces, either to the right or the left.... Witches Hut faces to the left,
while Witches Summoning Circle faces to the right.... both are 4x4s.

Unless you've been playing awhile, there's no way to have your whole city
facing the same direction, even then its pretty tough to achieve.

Deleted User - 849411552

Has anyone noticed that the tiny culture buildings 1-space wide are all horizontal, going left to right? I have lots of little vertical gaps (top to bottom) in my city and can't find anything to fill them except 1x1 buildings. All my stored culture is 2,3 or 4 x 1. I can't find anything that's 1 x 2,3 or 4. We could use a few of those, perhaps something to craft in the MA or a bonus like the winter lampions.
Unfortunately, I think the interpretation of horizontal and vertical in the game in confusing, because the game board is offset between the two. I think you are regretting the absence of buildings that are 90 degrees to the direction of unicorns.

I agree, there are not nearly so many options for buildings that run in the opposite direction to unicorns. (Now I have visions of unicorns running through my head! :cool: )

I used to think that unicorns were horizontal until I came to Chapter 12 and discovered that Inno designated "North-South Canals" as those that point towards the Spire. By convention, the top of the map is most typically the North, so Up is the direction that points to the Spire. Unicorns also run in a north-south direction, with their heads pointing "south" towards the bottom of the map. According to this convention, unicorns are "vertical".

North-SouthCanal.jpg

However! The game describes unicorns as "2x1" buildings. The computer graphics convention is that dimensions are listed as "width x height". According to that convention, unicorns are horizontal. Therefore there is no clear definition as to which way is up in Elvenar (how appropriate! And I can't believe that I find myself theorizing on which direction it is that unicorns run! :D).

In any event, I believe you are suggesting that we need more 1x2 or 1x3 buildings in the game because there are less of them than 2x1 or 2x3 buildings. Whatever direction that may be!

I note that the game board is bigger in the "unicorn direction" than it is in the other, likely because the game was first released on the PC, in which the screen is wider than it is tall. Because the game board is bigger in the "unicorn direction", there is some logic to have more objects available that run in that direction - such as unicorns.

But all things considered, I don't mind that there are more unicorn directed buildings than otherwise. I enjoy the challenge of finding non-unicorn directional buildings to fit in the board. And as crackie suggests, the Rod of Ascleptius is an excellent 1x1 building.

Iyapo1

I would love to see more 1x2s in the game. This is the only one I have that is worth placing:
20220413_191951.jpg

I would love to be able to craft this guy.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Frozen Tree Stump Magic is 1x2, so opposite direction of unicorns, and is in the crafting rotation and is the 6th best pure culture event building in the game.

defiantoneks

problem with the 1x1s is that they offer zero in relationship to getting neighborly help. i'd rather have a single 1x3 building that would be better when helped.
on the whole, i've been waiting for another event with lots of those little "side" buildings that you get instead of the main prize. many in my FS are looking for those also, for the reason of the OP… filling in spaces. plus, they're usually fun!