• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Trade cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser27062

But trader fee...

But only if you were close enough to me, otherwise...trader fee.

Oh I'm very familiar with AJ, and he doesn't mean to derail a conversation, he just loves the mental exercise of dissecting English words with the unfortunate side effect of missing the point sometimes.
call it unfair, predatory, a dick-move, the exact perfect word or description is totally unimportant, we seem to agree and are understanding each other just fine. It's not like anyone will make Brin see the light by finding the perfect word.

In my experience, if I post small trades someone gobbles them all up. If not a shark then someone who thinks they are helping me.
I like your idea, I really do, but I just don't see it working.

Another problem is that I'm in a great FS meaning if I post a bunch of trades they will take them. If I tell them not to then they have to remember which ones they can and can't take while I flood our trader.
On top of that, the developers have told us that 0.02%* of players use the forums, so it would be tough to make a difference even if we got our entire fellowships onboard (which would lead to a very flooded and messy trader for us)

I think a more viable alternative might be to actively seek out new cities and communicate with them.

I'd really like it if we could get past the trader fee (non)issue. The simple fact is that if you had been a close neighbour who posted small fair trades and taken my trades without me having to wait 3 days I would have grown.

I actually really like how @ajqtrz responds.. Far from derailing topics he tends to dissect them to hone in on the critical details. His points are entirely valid and worth keeping in mind.

"Another problem is that I'm in a great FS meaning if I post a bunch of trades they will take them. If I tell them not to then they have to remember which ones they can and can't take while I flood our trader." We've got around this by marking community trades with a '9' and informing the fellowships that all trades under 100 that end in a 9 are to be ignored.

"which would lead to a very flooded and messy trader for us" - Does your fellowship have trading quotas? How do you control your trader now? I really can't see how placing a few extra trades would trash your trader. In fact I've seen advice on this very forum that recommends that players cut up their trades into a greater quantity of smaller trades if they're having trouble getting them taken quickly enough.

"0.02%* of players use the forums" My post wasn't intended to hail the masses. I wanted to hear from players such as yourself as to what you think to help me figure out where the pain points are and find ways to resolve them or to simply tell me it's a rubbish idea and why. It seems I'm getting exactly what I had hoped for :).

Dew Spinner

I think that's a little unfair. Most of the posters here actually care a great deal, which is why we're on the forums in the first place. Even those who have large cities do still care about the experience of our fellows, neighbors, and the game in general.

Good discussions often come with disagreement. Lack of enthusiasm for the proposed solution doesn't mean lack of concern for the stated problem. If anything, I've heard the majority of posters here state that they DO wish to support small cities in trade, with alternatives offered for how to do so.
That depends on your meaning of unfair, there is already an ongoing discussion splitting hairs on that word! ;)

DeletedUser27062

AJ, I like a lot of your posts and I like a lot of Soggy's posts but these lengthy word salads are making me and others, I suppose, lose interest in the actual point. Being concise instead of verbose is a virtue.
I disagree so much here. I LOVED that response! It's logical, precise, and exacting. As someone who falls into a coma at the very thought of small talk and can't abide sloppy critical thinking skills I am a huge fan of AJ's style. I also understand why others aren't. I just don't want him to change to suit the masses.

DeletedUser27062

Yeah, but people get that without being told. I've explained to you before, it's not a legal battle. I'm not going to concern myself very much with possible (intentional?) misunderstandings or minor (irrelevant?) exceptions.

Yeah, I could have put out a few pages to be absolutely clear and to address every possible interpretation, but with 99.999% less work I get 99% of the results, and that's fine.

Kinda reminds me of this:
"There are two types of people:
1. Those who can extrapolate data from limited information
2."

I also don't get repeated comments like this:

That was unnecessarily mean.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I want to respond to just this at the moment. The rest of your comment deserve proper consideration so I'll take some time before I respond to it.

I'm in 3 fellowships on the US server and 2 on the international server. One fellowship is a multi-world fellowship with chapters in all worlds although I only have cities in 5 of them. Our players range from absolute beginners to over a million score. Most are over a quarter of a mil.
The other 2 fellowships are similar in their makeup. All the fellowships rank in the top 100 and are 10+ chest weekly fellowships with competitive SoE, provincial tourneys and FA.

I'm not saying your POV isn't valid, simply that you're way way off regarding my fellowships.
I didn't say that your fellowships were low score, and I'm sorry if it appeared that way. What I said was that if the method was "working out" for your fellowship members, then I find it hard to believe they were very high score players. You didn't mention whether your million score player has really welcomed this practice and whether he or she has tried it for a while to be able to give fair input. I'd be interested in seeing whether he or she is really sustaining this practice, because for me, well, I might be polite enough to a fellow member to try it and give it lip service, but there's no way that I would sustain it. If you could relate his or her practice and if you've asked that person if there are any downsides, I'd be open to hearing it.

Iyapo1

Hair is being split over the word fair. No one split hair over the word most.
Most FS won't accept small cities, they have minimum score/chapter requirements
This statement is inaccurate.

You went sideway and deflected.

"Most" "good" FS have minimum requirements listed in their description and forum members should not assume your statements have any basis in reality.

Got it!

Last edited:

DeletedUser27062

Let's break this down.

Firstly, thank you for your thoughtful response. I've built 16 cities in 8 worlds over 2 cities. I may be less experienced but the sheer quantity of builds means I understand the teething problems quite well.

"Method A says that big players should flood the trader with tiny trades, so that little guys can get them.. The positives are that VERY FEW small players can get those trades at a fair price, since the vast majority won't have more than 50 provinces discovered and they'll mostly have traders fees".

In every world I have had at least one big player I could have traded with without a fee. Their trades were too big for me and most of them never took my trades. In my experience my trades were most often taken by similar sized cities.

"If crowding out the sharks is your goal, this will just feed the hungry sharks".
If I was a shark and I could spend half an hour grabbing a bunch of 25k trades to recycle OR sit all day waiting to poach every small trade on offer I know what I'd do.
"If there are no sharks, then there is no other positive but one ... that a very few small guys will have a smorgasbord to choose from in the trader. Nice for them."
Yes, nice for them to be able to build, upgrade, grow and eventually help other small cities to grow. I'm seeing flourishing full neighbourhoods, not wastelands of dead cities.

"2. The trader is SO FULL of these little trades that neighbors and fs have to go through page after page after page after page of them in order to get anything they want in the numbers that they need. My fellowship members sometimes trade for half a million goods ... in one transaction. They will not appreciate having to go through 50 pages just to see what they need in the quantities they require."
Just post one extra cycle instead of 10 or 20 then.

"3. The trades that LITTLE GUYS put up in the trader are rendered invisible. There are now 50 pages of trades and those trades wait longer to be picked up because there are so many pages to go through. Big players that would normally have scooped up those little trades in a heartbeat are now being told to leave trades for new players ... and heck, going through every name on 50 pages to check for new players would waste every moment of time they have to play the game. Therefore, the little players' trades get lost in the shuffle."

There's no need to check for new players. Community trades can be 'marked' like we've done - trades under 100 that end in a 9 are community trades so ignore. Works a treat. And if people posted smaller trades then the little guys could just grab those instead of posting their own trades if they wanted. And I assume that's where the sharks are getting their business from...those that need stuff now.

"4. More little players get lost in the shuffle if they happen upon my city and gift me. I would normally gift them back, but since my notifications are now flooded with small trades, I can no longer see that they've gifted me and they don't get the needed help back."
This is a valid concern. Limiting community trades to one cycle per day should prevent any inundation.

"5. Since I no longer get notifications of gifts, my bigger neighbors don't get gifted back either. We've lost camaraderie and reciprocation that we normally enjoy."
Solved above, only post one cycle.

"6. Without notifications, I must now go and physically visit .... load load load .... every player that MIGHT have gifted me, in the desire not to alienate anyone, without being sure to hit each one, and then get out of the city .... load load load.... and return to the map".
...as above

"7. The game has been rendered so time consuming that big players ... the ones that can help little players the most .... now get frustrated and leave the game."

To be fair 4,5, 6, 7 are all the same problem extrapolated to appear as a worst case scenario of epic proportions. This problem is completely manageable IF you actually wanted to manage the problem.

"Now let's try Method B, which calls for all little players to post trades for their boosts and wait for them to be picked up. The ONLY negative to this method is that if no one is out there to pick up the trade, the trades will sit there for days. Well, guess what? If no one is out there to pick up the trade, then NO ONE is there to POST TRADES within their circle. So what's the point of having all these big players post trades if they are nowhere near the small player who needs help?"

It would really help if the problem wasn't view in extremes. We aren't talking about "no one". We're talking about the fact that there are big traders who do take smaller trades and those who don't. Some big players post trades/ play every day, some trade and play 3 or 4 times a week. The big neighbours I had on Khelonaar didn't pick up my trades and I couldn't take theirs. My trades were ignored until I messaged one of them and asked nicely and even then they only did it when they played...which was every 2 or 3 days.

The thing is you're presenting an either/or scenario and if you'd really thought it through you'd see there is no method a/b. I didn't once advocate for small player to forego posting their own trades yet that has been thrown back as a complaint time and time again.

DeletedUser27062

I didn't say that your fellowships were low score, and I'm sorry if it appeared that way. What I said was that if the method was "working out" for your fellowship members, then I find it hard to believe they were very high score players. You didn't mention whether your million score player has really welcomed this practice and whether he or she has tried it for a while to be able to give fair input. I'd be interested in seeing whether he or she is really sustaining this practice, because for me, well, I might be polite enough to a fellow member to try it and give it lip service, but there's no way that I would sustain it. If you could relate his or her practice and if you've asked that person if there are any downsides, I'd be open to hearing it.

You've nothing to apologise for. I understood what you were saying.

It's funny because I don't consider lip service to be polite at all. I like unvarnished truth and would much rather you say it's a rubbish idea that you don't want to try that pretend otherwise. You can save the sugar coated stuff for those with a sweeter tooth.
As far as asking our million score players how they feels about it etc...we have discussions going about it and folks are free to adopt it or not and (please excuse my bluntness) I have no interest in trying to sway you or somehow convince you that it's worth a try. I'm happy to go over perceived pain points but ultimately if you don't feel it's a good idea then that is all good, don't do it.

maeter75

Been following and this is a very interesting thread and there are so many variables and pitfalls.
I do wish there was a way you could "see" if it was a newer player/smaller when you view a trades.

For example,
Is that 300 Scrolls for 300 Dust a small player that needs it filled, or is it a bigger player posting for smaller players to take.
Yes I could go visit the persons city but with 50+ pages of trades, who has the time.
Even if you could move your mouse over the persons name and say see their score would be helpful.

DeletedUser27062

I do wish there was a way you could "see" if it was a newer player/smaller when you view a trades.

You sort of can. When you look at your map the style of housing shown for each city indicates that cities level.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
AJ, I like a lot of your posts and I like a lot of Soggy's posts but these lengthy word salads are making me and others, I suppose, lose interest in the actual point. Being concise instead of verbose is a virtue.

It's only a virtue if you only wish to engage in the subject on a cursory level and not to actually analyze what others have said. The method I generally use is the Socratic method. Socrates, a pretty noted philosopher, didn't think it unwise to discuss at length the meaning of words. Perhaps my target audience are those who actually want to do the work of thinking a thing through and not those who are less inclined to do because we have created a society where memes, mantra's and pithy sayings have been substituted for actual logical and rational discussion.

The real problem her is that I have a lot to say and say it. I am not repetitive very often and while I could probably reduce the word count by about 10-20 percent, what I have to say is said in an organized and systematic fashion -- a hallmark of good rhetoric according the canons of the Romans.

And I might remind everyone that the US was founded by men who though nothing of writing 50 pages of dense text and expected the nation to read what they had written. Truth doesn't always hang low on the tree. Sometimes you have to get the ladders out and climb.

Yeah, but people get that without being told. I've explained to you before, it's not a legal battle. I'm not going to concern myself very much with possible (intentional?) misunderstandings or minor (irrelevant?) exceptions.

Yeah, I could have put out a few pages to be absolutely clear and to address every possible interpretation, but with 99.999% less work I get 99% of the results, and that's fine.

Kinda reminds me of this:
"There are two types of people:
1. Those who can extrapolate data from limited information
2."

I also don't get repeated comments like this:

The analysis I provided was not a misunderstanding. It was an explication of what you said. Simply denying it's accuracy is not proving it to be inaccurate. Does your measure of fairness, as presented, rest on the idea that 1:1 ratio within a tier is "fair?" As I've pointed out, it's a logical equivalency. Denying analysis without pointing out it's flaws is not, therefore, proving it to be wrong.

A few pages? I doubt it. I gave you a version of your statement that avoided the implication that 1:1 trades are always fair. It's only a few words longer than your original. The problem was not that you wrote what you wrote but that you didn't consider the subject well enough to realize the objections and deal with them in an concise and easy manner before you posted. To argue will one has to put themselves int he place of their interlocutor and consider his/her reference point. Once you do that you will find you will have to use a few more words to qualify claims, usually not pages as you imply.

I'm not worried about the .0001 or so legal objections, I'm more concerned with the easily seen problems with using a 1:1 ratio as a measure of fairness. The distinction is not about words but about concepts. You have a concept that says that fairness is based upon the cost of productions, but I argue that fairness is perceived value by the participants. These are not words, but concepts. You seem to think the problem is I didn't get (but should have), your point. I got your point. I analyzed your point. I came to the conclusion that it's wrong. I then presented, with reasons, evidence and examples of how the basis of your definition of fairness is flawed. In other words, I analyzed not your performance but the concepts underlying your ideas. How about we focus not upon my performance but upon the idea that cost of production is a a good measure of fairness in the trade?

AND

Actually, there are four types:

1. Those who can extrapolate data from limited information but have too little information to know if the extrapolated data is valid or not.
2. Those who expect everybody to do the work of extrapolation and thus to repeat the work they could have done for everybody, but didn't.
3. Those who often fail to give enough information and expect everybody to do the work of extrapolating the right data from the limited information and then get upset when they don't.
4. Those who do the extrapolating for you so that the right data is extrapolated from the right information because they took the time to think about what they were saying and word the claim in anticipation of general observations that might not fit the claim they are making.

Many people are in the third category but have a difficult time because everybody wants the fourth category to be easy, short, and full of low hanging fruit. Sadly, knowledge may be a very large tree with the best fruit requiring a lot of good ladders and a lot of hard work.

That depends on your meaning of unfair, there is already an ongoing discussion splitting hairs on that word! ;)

I once had my house painted. I was a dark grey when they finished when I asked them for "off white." Was I "splitting hairs" since neither of us defined what "off white" might have meant? You buy a car and you want "good gas mileage." You get and find it gets 3 gallons to the mile. You take it back and the guy argues that you wanted "good gas mileage," and he gave you a car with "good gas mileage." Is that splitting hairs?

"Unfair" is, as Soggy pointed out, a "moral" measurement. Soggy measures "unfair" trades by their production costs. I measure them by the perceived value of those enacting the trade. Totally different concepts. Not a single hair here to be split. It's not "red apples or less red apples" it's apples and oranges. Trivializing it only shows your own analysis of the question is faulty.

AJ

Last edited:

maeter75

You sort of can. When you look at your map the style of housing shown for each city indicates that cities level.
True, but my point was that say on the US server I play there are 50+ pages of trades. I dont really have the time to look at the trades to know if the people are newish, etc.. If I could put my mouse over the persons name in the trade window and know their score, etc that would let anyone know.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
What is your explanation for why sharks exist? If it is so easy for small cities to join FS, sharks would have no customer base and cease to exist once none of their trades were taken.
I think a large part of why they exist is because people take their trades by mistake. I always post 2 star trades and I never accept 1 star trades unless it is a prearranged trade with a FS member. However a few months ago, one of my fellowships had a chapter 15 player who decided to quit the game. He had millions of every type of goods accumulated and offered to give them away. So FS members would post uneven trades and every week or so he would log back in and clean out the trader of such trades. This went on for a few weeks.

It turns out the most lopsided trade the game will let you post is at a 1 to 8 ratio. During this period this is what I was posting. And relatively large amounts, for example I would post 50K of a good and ask for 400K. On 3 different occasions I had neighbors accept what were literally the most uneven trades the game would allow me to post. On each occasion I messaged that neighbor asking if it was a mistake and offering to take an unfair trade from them if it was a mistake. One replied and said it was a mistake. We worked it out and she posted the same trade in reverse and I accepted it, which essentially undid everything. The second replied to the message. They indicated it was a mistake but said they had so much they were not concerned about undoing the trade. I never heard back from the 3rd neighbor. Still of the 3 uneven trades taken by neighbors, I can confirm that 2 of them were mistakes.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
That's certainly true, but I'm sure he meant in the trader, while a person was thinking about picking up a trade. It would be too hard to go back and forth into the map to check out these cities.

Dew Spinner

Hair is being split over the word fair. No one split hair over the word most.

This statement is inaccurate.

You went sideway and deflected.

"Most" "good" FS have minimum requirements listed in their description and forum members should not assume your statements have any basis in reality.

Got it!
My statement stands and it isn't sideways or deflecting...it's a fact!

Got It!

Alram

Flippers just flip
In my opinion, the #1 problem with suggestions, (in many threads), is that too many players are claiming to be advocating for new players while completely ignoring and/or dismissing the input of new players. Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.