• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Upgrade Your Golden Abyss!

DeletedUser61

You simply try to place it in a Rune Wheel slot. Half of the time it will fill an empty slot, but the other half of the time you'll get one more broken Rune Shard in the broken bar.

DeletedUser3061

They just seem to break when you try and place them. At least the last 3 I've tired to place in my Tome of Secrets have broke. Got 3 in fine, then 3 broke in a row.

DeletedUser627

They just seem to break when you try and place them. At least the last 3 I've tired to place in my Tome of Secrets have broke. Got 3 in fine, then 3 broke in a row.

Please double check before you decide to build the Tome of Death. It's pretty much on the bottom of the list in terms of benefit. If you're an early stage player, it can look appealing...but before long it will be worthless. But since it has KP in it, you won't want to delete it, so it will sit there returning next to nothing for the space it requires. It will score, yes...but there are Wonders that score equally and provide reasonable return. The Abyss, for sure.

DeletedUser3061

Oh I know. I don't plan on building the Tome, just throwing the runes I find into it but I don't plan on finishing it with mats. I did make Golden Abyss though as I do like the free gold and people :D I want to get up to making the cool ones that show up on the Cliffside but i'm so far from those and fighting is like throwing apples at a tiger and hoping to win. I just got Paladins and thought "oh neat" but they got mowed down like the rest of my troops lol.

DeletedUser2522

In fact the reward is a RUNE (just to be clear) however the player may have broken it or turned it into a rune shard when trying to place it which yes does happen. Odds go up at getting a placeable one with every donation and completed upgrade level/reward level. Remind your players (fellows) of that and see if donations change. When trying to come up with runes .... every advantage in this game counts.

RE: Just to be clear, she got a rune but the player broke it..
Ok that logic is insane, it's not like she tried to place it by standing over it with a Golf Club! You click insert and you EITHER get a Rune or a shard.
First place reward WAS A SHARD

DeletedUser627

Oh I know. I don't plan on building the Tome, just throwing the runes I find into it but I don't plan on finishing it with mats. I did make Golden Abyss though as I do like the free gold and people :D I want to get up to making the cool ones that show up on the Cliffside but i'm so far from those and fighting is like throwing apples at a tiger and hoping to win. I just got Paladins and thought "oh neat" but they got mowed down like the rest of my troops lol.

Looking at the game - comparing the way we originally played through Dwarven without any Wonders, to the progress of players who implemented the Elven / Human Wonders before Dwarven level:

Building Human / elven Wonders slows progress and lowers scores (this may change somewhat with the introduction of Wonder scoring). I see cities even into Fairy that are consistently less powerful since the introduction of pre-Dwarven Wonders.

What is it that we push for - what is it we want to "get to" in Elvenar? The big buildings, the abundance of goods (so there's never a question of having enough - we can throw them into buying KP any time we like!), the strong abundant armies so we can fight Tournaments...

If these are your goals, the Pre-Dwarven Wonders dont' help you achieve these goals. Even if the Wonders are good ones - they provide good value for the investment - they don't begin to compete with the value of plain ol' Research Tree Advancement.

I'm testing this with my no-pay city. It's currently entering Dwarven with no Wonders. It out-performs similar cities with Wonders. Also, it's balanced. The research progresses at the same speed as Builders, and I can make enough goods to complete upgrades and research and provinces without waiting. Without a Wonder, I'm starting Dwarven with all manufactories already at Level 15, 3 upcoming Expansions ready for granite and residence upgrades, and - most importantly - enough goods production capacity to keep up with the higher cost of upgrades. If I had wasted KP on a Wonder - my builders would be idle waiting for me to catch up in Research. If I'd wasted space on a Wonder, I would have had to buy an expansion to make room for it (but what's the point if I'm not going to put KP into it?)

But, now that I'm starting the slow motion world of granite and copper building, there will be times when I'll have extra KP - so I'll build a Wonder and start. There are a plethora of ones to choose from, and I imagine we'll see interesting viewpoints emerging as to which will be the most useful.

DeletedUser3061

Yeah I sometimes wish I didn't build the AW as I could have used that space but its only 3x3 so i'm not too hurt. Now the magic Academy.....I really could have used that 5x5 space.....and it gives me nothing!!!

DeletedUser

And how exactly does one break a rune while trying to place it??

When you open the AW research tree you will get the AW tab at the bottom center groupings. When pulling that up and choosing one of your available AW tabs you get a WHEEL that you place RUNES in.

Sometimes (more often than not) ----->>> When inserting these RUNES they break and therefore are placed in the 'BROKEN RUNE SHARDS' que. You need 10 broken rune shards to make 1 FULL guarenteed Rune that is placeable.

CANNOT quote the below comment in 'edit' format so copied/pasted to address it!

RE: Just to be clear, she got a rune but the player broke it..
Ok that logic is insane, it's not like she tried to place it by standing over it with a Golf Club! You click insert and you EITHER get a Rune or a shard.
First place reward WAS A SHARD

Again I state.........SHE RECEIVED A RUNE!! The rune became a shard when she broke it while placing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1317

I believe they should of given to established players a different algorithm for collecting the runes for newly added first AW's. Reason is because I am still working on the ones they had.. now when I complete a province.. in ten completed I got one for the new ones.. that is not a good balance to get them started for those that are not that far yet far enough to be working on the original AW's. So I am giving up on getting them done now.. Just working on getting the research done and continue on in the tree. If I ever get them who knows..

DeletedUser2522

If I'm wrong about this can someone PLEASE explain how you break a rune when placing it! Why so some people place and get a full rune and for others everything breaks.
Is it luck of the draw or is something being done wrong?

DeletedUser61

When you try to place a Rune in a Rune Wheel, there's a 50% chance that it will break. A full broken Rune Shard bar will never break (again).

After 16.42 attempts, the most probable distribution is
  • 8 filled slots in the Rune Wheel
  • 8 filled slots in the Broken Shard bar
Consequently, with average luck you'll need 18 Runes to fill the Rune Wheel.

DeletedUser43

If I'm wrong about this can someone PLEASE explain how you break a rune when placing it! Why so some people place and get a full rune and for others everything breaks.
Is it luck of the draw or is something being done wrong?

The rune shards fit into slots in a wheel. Think of it like throwing darts. Each shard attempts to fit into a random slot. So, the first one will always fit. Always. The second one will break if it happens to hit the one slot that you already have a rune it. If not, it will go into another slot. Now you have two slots full. The third one will have an even harder time finding an empty slot because two slots are already full. If you get lucky, and it happens to try to fill a slot you have empty, you get a fourth one filled...but...if it tries for a slot that was full...it breaks.

It goes on like this until the thing is full. For me, I have almost always had to fill those last two slots with broken shard pieces. I mean, those last pieces are hard. When you have two left, you only have 2 slots on the wheel open and 7 of them are full. You have to get super lucky to hit that empty slot. Then, when you have one slot left it is really hard! You only have 1 little slot that it has to hit and 8 slots that break your rune shard.

When you have those broken pieces, they can all be put into a thing that forges runes guaranteed. Once you get all those pieces you can make any rune you want for any wonder.