• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

When should I expect to be able to fight regularly without large casualties?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Scenario C: +2 ELR
Our archer is back to 100 health, but he now does 30 damage. It will take him 3.33 rounds to kill the enemy and take 20 damage. 50% less damage and even more dead troops prevented.

I'm not quite sure how 3.33 rounds would take 20 damage. I understand if you say that 3 rounds takes 20 damage, but that extra 1/3 round gives no damage at all? And how do you fight just 1/3 of a round?

As you can see, I don't manually fight, lol, or I'd probably know what you mean. :p

DeletedUser27062

@Simpumba I suggest thinking about it as a game where you want to make the most effective choices in order to accomplish your personal goals. Some people want to have big, beautiful cities. Other people want to fight and win in tournaments and spire. Other people want to get to really high ranks. Personally, I want to be a useful member of my fellowship and able to help in tournaments and spire as well as with trades. And to be massively wealthy in all goods.

If there were no constraints, the game would not be fun at all. Of course there are different opinions about what the right constraints are, but I am pretty sure that the idea that expanding too far on the world map too quickly can be disadvantageous has been baked into the game since the beginning. For example, scout times increase and difficulty increases the further we go from our cities. If it weren't, we'd all expand to the maximum immediately and then upgrade everything and then why would we be playing the game? The events are only interesting to help get things to fight, expand and upgrade! (Such as by offering buildings that support extra culture and population or resource production.)

The constraints on this game have next to nothing to do with keeping the game interesting and everything to do with pushing players toward diamond purchases. It would be counter intuitive to provide financial work-arounds for those constraints if it killed interest in the game.
You'll find the events aren't simply fun ways to get goodies but quite necessary. The culture buildings available in the builder menu are rubbish and with space being a premium you need much higher spec culture than can be found there.

DeletedUser27062

Mages are actually quite fun if you want to splurge and drop 3 MMM's. You can pretty much ignore the fighting pentagon and use mages on everyone.

I was just saying this to someone today. I have 1 star frogs that I've put up against 2 star HM and had the frog send those HM boys home crying for their mama thanks to battle boosters. The fighting pentagon is based on strengths and weaknesses that can be modified to your advantage using boosters

Gladiola

You'll find the events aren't simply fun ways to get goodies but quite necessary.

This was sort of my point. The event quests are not intrinsically interesting. Actually, not much that we do in the game is intrinsically interesting. We are mostly swiping, tapping, and clicking, which is rewarded by images and sound effects.

What is interesting, at least to me, is working within the constraints to achieve my desired results. If there were no constraints, it would not require planning or thought and we would just be clicking randomly. Again, what constraints make the game more or less fun are a matter of opinion. So far I thik the game has a fairly good balance, although I am sure there are parts of it that are maddening. (Why couldn't I see that the chapter 3 advanced scouts research required 60 KP before I completed the 25 provinces required to open the chest? Did I just miss that? I know I could have looked it up somewhere, but I didn't realize the amount would grow so big that I would need to! Lesson learned.)

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I'm not quite sure how 3.33 rounds would take 20 damage. I understand if you say that 3 rounds takes 20 damage, but that extra 1/3 round gives no damage at all? And how do you fight just 1/3 of a round?

As you can see, I don't manually fight, lol, or I'd probably know what you mean. :p

Ha, you're right! 3.33 rounds would take 30 damage for an extra 1/3 round to finish off. I did disclaim this isn't really correct battle mechanics math and was for example only! However, the pattern still holds true if you extrapolate. Essentially, if the enemy is not greater than about 1.3x your squad size, it's arguably better to buff the attack than the health to end up with more troops overall. This means even a Level 3 Fire Phoenix is worth having and feeding because its effects blanket boosts all units, not just mage and light range classes. If you are able to kill faster and end a battle faster, you will save more units than merely surviving a battle longer with a health boost. This applies to auto-fighting as well. Manual fighting is just being able to see the chess board and control your chess pieces instead of letting AI do it. If you start a manual battle and then select auto-finish from the beginning, you'd basically watch the battle simulation play out of what auto-battle is doing (and lose 5 mins of your life).

...the same scenic route to the end of battle.
Ending the battle quicker applies to melee units even more since they take even more hits each round. They don't act until the middle or end of a round, which means many units are able to take a free pot shot before they're even allowed to move. Every round that the enemy is not dead is potentially another free hit on melee before they can act. UUU helps them survive this continuous beating, but it doesn't shorten it.

I was just saying this to someone today. I have 1 star frogs that I've put up against 2 star HM and had the frog send those HM boys home crying for their mama thanks to battle boosters. The fighting pentagon is based on strengths and weaknesses that can be modified to your advantage using boosters

Exactly! A lot of my teammates didn’t even realize there is a battle board that gets played out bc they have only played on the app. They thought battle mechanics is like a Magic 8-ball process that determines if your 5 selected units are the correct combo. They rely on the pop up strength chart to determine their choices, but don’t stray from it even after using buffs. They think, well if they were strong against this enemy type, then they must be REALLY strong when I buff them. It’s harder to think outside the box when you can’t see what’s going on under the hood. Not bashing autofighting bc lord knows manual fighting is so time consuming, but if you need to stretch the army, manual fighting helps A LOT.

DeletedUser27062

Ha, you're right! 3.33 rounds would take 30 damage for an extra 1/3 round to finish off. I did disclaim this isn't really correct battle mechanics math and was for example only! However, the pattern still holds true if you extrapolate. Essentially, if the enemy is not greater than about 1.3x your squad size, it's arguably better to buff the attack than the health to end up with more troops overall. This means even a Level 3 Fire Phoenix is worth having and feeding because its effects blanket boosts all units, not just mage and light range classes. If you are able to kill faster and end a battle faster, you will save more units than merely surviving a battle longer with a health boost. This applies to auto-fighting as well. Manual fighting is just being able to see the chess board and control your chess pieces instead of letting AI do it. If you start a manual battle and then select auto-finish from the beginning, you'd basically watch the battle simulation play out of what auto-battle is doing (and lose 5 mins of your life).

...the same scenic route to the end of battle.
Ending the battle quicker applies to melee units even more since they take even more hits each round. They don't act until the middle or end of a round, which means many units are able to take a free pot shot before they're even allowed to move. Every round that the enemy is not dead is potentially another free hit on melee before they can act. UUU helps them survive this continuous beating, but it doesn't shorten it.

Exactly! A lot of my teammates didn’t even realize there is a battle board that gets played out bc they have only played on the app. They thought battle mechanics is like a Magic 8-ball process that determines if your 5 selected units are the correct combo. They rely on the pop up strength chart to determine their choices, but don’t stray from it even after using buffs. They think, well if they were strong against this enemy type, then they must be REALLY strong when I buff them. It’s harder to think outside the box when you can’t see what’s going on under the hood. Not bashing autofighting bc lord knows manual fighting is so time consuming, but if you need to stretch the army, manual fighting helps A LOT.

I autofight exclusively because I have 8 cities. Many people think there's no skill, no strategy in autofighting other than obeying the usual match-ups but that's not true. It's a bigger gamble for sure; you are fighting without the ability to control many factors but this just means you need to be smarter about your troop choices. Understanding that boosters are most beneficial for troops (regardless of type) that already have high initiative and/or high strike range so choosing them over conventional match-ups can be highly advantageous.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I autofight exclusively because I have 8 cities. Many people think there's no skill, no strategy in autofighting other than obeying the usual match-ups but that's not true.
I autofight when I am lazy or have troops to spare. How I pick my troops in autofight differs slightly from how I pick them when I manual fight. AI kind of plays all classes as if they are melee units, with the exception of super long range units like froggies, blossom mage, mortar guys, and priests. AI at least knows to keep them away from the fray and in the back line. Units like light range and shorter range mages that are susceptible to a lot of melee types, AI will still send them into the thick of the battle as if they’re freakin Jon Snow in the Battle of the Bastards. So depending on the enemy combo, where I would def choose archers against mages manual fighting, I might send puppies in instead when autofighting to minimize archer loss. Our friends the Vallorian Valors mentioned in the beginning of the thread will still work very well autofighting bc they are melee units and are meant to charge forth and chop.

Lastly, the first 5 provinces in tourney are meant to be easy for everyone so they def can be won more arbitrarily regardless of what units you pick. These tents are great for the all froggy strategy, esp if they are buffed. The enemies are wimpy enough that froggies can sniper everyone down. Even without buff, it works with the first two provinces. Will have to experiment more to see how far you can go unbuffed.