• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Why I think you should remove quests

DeletedUser

I have to admit I didn't want to play this game but something clicked and I like watching the buildings get larger. Yep. It's all about them upgrades. Anyway, I'm kind of at a loss because I cared about quests. Why are quests there? Are you trying to troll...

I would remove the quests because they are pointless and if anyone is doing them its for the gains I'm sure. So can I get an ETA on the next game that treats the players better and doesn't have such a clicky gameplay? Or can I donate like 1k and you guys fix it so I can give 1 command to many building? Just curious if you guys would ever talk about costs. I was at one game and they straight told us how much their server cost to run. But that's not personnel is it. Anyway, would love a nicer interface.

DeletedUser627

Costs are an interesting topic! Elvenar has gradually changed to allow players 10-15 minutes of active play time every 3 hours. Players who found ways to play more (quests, primarily) were shut down. The big line is that it was about balance in the game - but Elvenar has built-in checks and balances, so players with excess goods and coins don't affect their server world at all. Really, it seems about limiting play time, thus limited server requirements, which lead us to questions about cost.

It's contrary to all things gaming to discourage your players from playing your game. We're left to assume that Elvenar developers are targeting an obscure group of gamers who want to play consistently but not very much.

DeletedUser61

Elvenar has gradually changed to allow players 10-15 minutes of active play time every 3 hours.
Per world.

The objective, in a city builder, is to BUILD THINGS and the Elven/Human dichotomy, wherein the building blocks are quite different, provides at least two sets of tradeoffs.

There are a great many different ways to play Elvenar, and trying "something different" is reason enough to create an additional city. Just for starters it's worth trying to avoid the "mistakes" that you made in your previous city with the same design parameters. You'll very quickly discover that you actually did pretty well on your first try, because your "improved" city will have its own set of issues.

My own preferred playing style is very experimental, or scientific if you prefer, because I try to concentrate on a different design element in each of my cities so that I'll be able to validate, or change, my assumptions regarding how that element works.

To quote Yogi Berra: "In theory, practice is the same as theory. In practice, it's not."

There's nothing whatever wrong with simply letting a city SIT, with minimal attention, while you're focusing on the development of some other city that happens to be more interesting, at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well the concept is there, the genre concept I mean, but it appears there's stuff sorting itself out or whatever because this seems like an early rendition of an idea. Oddly the core element, waiting a specific amount of time, is wrong. Don't ask me when I'll be coming back lol. It should be a dice roll. OHH TIME TO CHECK MY CITY MAYBE ITS READY. That's gameplay right there. I would prefer that over hmm do I want to click in 15 minutes or 1 hour or am I going to bed etc etc ok it looks like I'm playing a time juggling game.

Also I know the game is small. BUt did you see that commercial!? That's nice looking...

DeletedUser627

I've even thought they should remove the term "game". Games are played - Elvenar is not.

DeletedUser61

Games are played - Elvenar is not.
Are we then to suppose that Chess is not a game? Each chess move can take several minutes.

I'd agree that Elvenar is a slow, complicated game with a lot of moving parts, but that's characteristic of any construction project.

DeletedUser1161

We're left to assume that Elvenar developers are targeting an obscure group of gamers who want to play consistently but not very much.
That would be me. I got involved in some other hobbies and the time I am willing to devote to games has dwindled considerably.

However, I think a good game should include activities for players who DO want to play a lot. The way Elvenar is currently designed, it doesn't hurt me at all if there are players who want to build fast while I putter along spending 10 or 15 minutes a couple times a day. Sure, I won't rank high but that's not my motivation for playing.

DeletedUser1161

Are we then to suppose that Chess is not a game? Each chess move can take several minutes.
Chess is a good analogy. Some people like speed chess; others play correspondence chess where 10 moves can take a month. The game accommodates both styles equally well.

DeletedUser

I'd agree that Elvenar is a slow, complicated game with a lot of moving parts, but that's characteristic of any construction project.

Great play there, madam.

Too all, here's further proof of previous post:
pgPz9BS.png

As you can see, these are all clearly labaled by game type. And its further proof that *Innogames* is truly interested in testing the waters here. Nice investment capital ad (for elvenar I know), several clearly defined titles with distinct flair I assume, and lastly the short end of gameplay ie its an early rendition of what can become better if enough people are interested. I will say that clicking to collect stuff and using a weird timer based gameplay is wrong if you want to open up your market. I don't want to set an alarm clock in elvenar I want to produce things and watch buildings become grand (the gameplay content is so limited I refuse to look at other cities and refuse to peek ahead into technology (SPOILERS tip).

Please remove quests because you are sending a message that your core element has or is failing.

DeletedUser627

If Inno wanted to offer a slow game, they shouldn't have offered quests in the first place. Of course, now that they lured us into the game using the action descriptors I've indicated previously (build, fight...), they have the legal right - established by their tiny disclaimer - to change it to their liking and keep all our money.

I have the right to be unhappy. And to be publicly unhappy. I played the game as it was made available to me. I liked it. The game has changed - This is Inno's doing, not mine. They should have tested in Beta form long enough to understand the impact of their design on players - and probably they did, because Beta players were quite active and did plenty of questing. This makes their late-stage modifications all the more irritating and underhanded, since it removes likelihood of doubt that Inno knew about questing before the release.

Most disturbingly, I've tested by starting a city in every new US world since released. It's still possible to fast-play the entire first act, and well into the second - without any tedious waiting. Inno is still misleading new players by offering a initial game without mandatory waiting periods. I don't care how Inno advertises it "City Building", the fact is that the initial building phases can move at the players's own pace: this establishes an expectation of game play, which Inno then withholds. It's bad form, to say the least.

I don't think Inno needs defending here in the Forum - they're big boys and can stick up for themselves. They don't mind ticking off their customers, so certainly they can deal with it.

Chess is a good analogy

Katwijk made the analogy, Aydenn, but it's not a good one. Unless one is playing chess via long distance, one is mentally occupied during an entire chess game, whether it is a timed match or not. During the 2 hours 50 minutes between "moves" in Elvenar, I scarcely need to consider which clicks I'm going to make to load manufacturies....There are decision points which fortunately still require strategy, and we all love those...but on an average day the game is rudimentary. And in truth, questing is mind-boggling rudimentary...but it gave us a chance to be actively engaged in the "game" at our own discretion - not by the noblesse oblige of Inno.

Valtitude

My husband plays chess online with players all over the world, like any online game. But some of the moves can take up to two weeks. No kidding! The times are set by the players who request the match - time between moves varies from minutes to weeks. Ack! Two weeks for a chess move! My husband has a zillion matches going at the same time ... I have several Elvenar cities, of varying size, going at the same time, too. *chuckles*