• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winning! (or not) Battle Insights and Observations share yours

DeletedUser3297

I gotta admit, I didn't like the priest before the update. He had the range of the whole board, but at level one with no upgrades, did very little damage. Now though, the priest is more like an angel of death. Still at the same level one, but causing tremendous amounts of damage.

DeletedUser594

I've been working on an updated chart based on the new pentagram but I am hesitant. The pentagram doesn't really show which troops are a great choice rather it shows troops your unit has no negative bonus against (Its all new and will take a minute for me to figure out.)
Yes they are angels of death kaylee. I like em a lot better so far. 5 range is huge, with 3 movement thay cover the field which is 8 hex wide(9 top to bottom) I just went and fought w/5 priests against these guys
7d0e559212edf0538bb50929645fc3b2.png
and the priests handled them just fine-no losses but they did out squad size them so no surprise there.
Speaking of which- my understanding now is that anything above 2x your squad size is essentially unwinnable. Anyone seeing that on the field? I made this chart based on what i read in beta but take with grain of salt I really ran with very little info:
4b04d284c54b7adfe9e546f597655654.png
Btw- found a program called Gyazo that takes screenshots and hosts the image with direct links that work here. I think maybe the link expires in 3 months but I am not sure.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Ok looks like most of the observations are with human troops, we need some input on the elven troops now, anyone know what is working for them?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Tried a picture but it might not be as useful as I intended. I borrowed the background from varron. The units shown are the suggested units for the province to be used against the type shown. There are more options and strategy then this and you need to be mindful of terrain and composition of enemy units. If this is working that well just use the link in my signature and go to fight section.
Elve_Province_unit_choice.png

DeletedUser594

Maybe this structure?
jj8tg6.jpg
or this might be a simple way to express the same
fz3zww.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4139

I will have to take a closer look but the first impression is simply very very bad :(
I can't resolve with ressources as I need to donate Orcs. I am not yet in the fairy age, so Orcs are far away
6ef5c24ea4924f4b9570df6107c75bac.jpeg

Squad size s*cks
0d22a48db4294ff79e9790aedb50e6ce.jpeg

and the enemie has already Ancient Orc II
0546e0c07bb84875ad5babdde1d5ae96.jpeg

So tell me how to solve this encounter and maybe I can consider the battle system is better.
Now the battle system is made just to disgust you from playing :(

DeletedUser2963

Run away and wait until you upgrade your squad several times! I am in chapter 5 not even at dwarves yet, and on my orc wall troop squad size is 3570, my squad size is 279. If I could find a fight without dogs or ranged units in the mix, I would try it anyway, but so far no luck. Would love to catch a couple of those swamp monsters alone, even at those numbers....what do you guys think...30+ rounds for that fight?

Just took my HR for a spin, in a plank province, they did really well against lm and lr, I screwed up and let HM get in range. My HR survived the hit and lost less than 1/3. Tried it again and stayed out of range, lost 8 guys against a mix of 2LM 3LR 2HM. This is in a ring where my squad size is bigger 279 vs 228.

DeletedUser594

I will have to take a closer look but the first impression is simply very very bad :(
I can't resolve with ressources as I need to donate Orcs. I am not yet in the fairy age, so Orcs are far away

Squad size s*cks

and the enemie has already Ancient Orc II
-So tell me how to solve this encounter and maybe I can consider the battle system is better.

Wow...Now I get the size limit rule. That made my eyes jiggly. The forums rule is no pics biigger than 600 something pixels wideby ...I'm sure they will let you know. If you want to share pics that big consider thumbnails and/or putting them under a spoiler.
You can add a spoiler by clicking
0e0a0caaf4b68ed423ef9c34236a305a.png
then add your pic between the words spoiler
I doubt those can be won. They've realigned fighting to match the map better. If you are way outside of the new alignment (the range between the last treasure chest unlocked and the next roughly) then you will quickly get overwhelmed. If you want to win you need to have armies with squad sizes at least half the enemy squad size. The game has been re-paced as it was too easy for a player to shoot out so far on the map (further than the devs intended) and since we don't have the same mechanisms in play that other games do- such as just blurring out unopened territory etc.. they decided to put the kibosh on through upping the fight difficulty. There are a lot of threads going discussing that very issue currently. If you want to get a feel for the battle dynamics you can try fighting in the tournament. The 6 rounds correspond to this picture's star positions. The first has no stars- that army if I understand correctly will have a squad size 80% the size of yours. Roundds 2-6 follow all the way up to enemies with 1.8x your squad size which you should see by 6th round
e0c7510edac15e58bed28938ebf3890d.png

Mykan

Oh Wise One
So tell me how to solve this encounter and maybe I can consider the battle system is better.
Sadly your not meant to, see the difficulty chart by Varron.

Curiously when you scout is key I have a ring 11 provinces with enemy squad sizes of 860, 1221, 1619 and ring 12 provinces with enemy squad sizes of 1305, 1456.

It would seem those areas I pushed into certain rings early will take longer for my squad size tech to match up. It now becomes important to consider very carefully about how you scout and sticking to your closes ring as much as possible.

DeletedUser2963

rolling the new battle pentagon thru the marble tourney....so far having the best luck running 2 or 3 sorceresses and 2 or 3 light archers depending on enemy mix. tried straight sorceresses and straight light archers, I win but my losses were much higher 20 or 30 troops vs 8-15 with the mixed groups, either way I have yet to lose a full stack. going to mix in some heavy ranged later, but was leaving them out at first for the humans among us. might also toss in hm, see what combination get me the least losses

DeletedUser3297

The golems are not working as well for me in this tournament. Every golem I send in the battle dies. But The sorceress paired with the archer seems to be a good combo for this tournament :)

Humans - priests all the way!

Thistleknot

For me and the elven army, I have had very limited success in my combats abroad. However I have been excelling in the tournaments. Been using a combination of Elder Treants, Archer II, and either Granite Golems or Bud Sorceresses to finish out.

The biggest issue that I am finding in the province combats is the combination of troops that I am fighting. It seems like there are more mixed troops than before. I may be mistaken, but I rarely find a sector defended by a single type of troop or two types of troops. It seems like every combat has three or four types of troops. Also there seems to be more squads in each combat. For example, prior to the change, the average group size was 4 squads, with 2 sectors on the low side and 1 sector on the high side. Now the average group size seems to be 6 squads with 1 sector on the low side and 2 sector on the high side. Hope I am explaining that clearly.

DeletedUser2963

Very clearly and I think you hit it on the nose with that observation....been looking for an over powered set of HM in any province to test light ranged limits, used to find them allot, cant find even one now.

DeletedUser3297

Yes, I know this is a tournament battle, but this is a victory! :D It was an autofight too, just wished I would have watched.

2bA7CN1.png

DeletedUser2963

I really need to get my sorceress upgrade.....not there yet....

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Trying something different. See what the below chart looks like, I have only done this for marble provinces which suits the tournament this week. Let me know if any corrections are needed. The auto-combat tip is use predominately or entirely the key unit (take with a grain of salt)
Love it, this is my favorite info graphic so far; very clear without being overwhelming.
If I may suggest, if you do this for all province types, rather than doing marble elf human elf, steel elf steel human, go elf everything, then human everything. You may have already planned this--hard to tell with a sample size of 1 lol