• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How difficult is the game with 6 premium expansions?

DeepTerminal

I'm currently on Chapter 8 (Orcs) with 6 premium expansions. I've heard people say that starting with chapters 10-11, the guest races start to take a lot more space, which forces you to buy more expansions.

So I'd like to know how difficult is it to progress past chapter 10 with the 6 premium expansions I have right now. Is it possible at all? If so, how hard/easy is it?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
That's not really possible to answer explicitly. The game isn't hard whether you have 30 premium expansions or zero.....depending on your patience and your ruthlessness when it comes to cutting the dross. If you play a tight game, it's easier to learn to dump what's not needed and rebuild it when it is. The more sentiment you allow to creep into your city-design decisions, the more space you need.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I'm currently on Chapter 8 (Orcs) with 6 premium expansions. I've heard people say that starting with chapters 10-11, the guest races start to take a lot more space, which forces you to buy more expansions.

So I'd like to know how difficult is it to progress past chapter 10 with the 6 premium expansions I have right now. Is it possible at all? If so, how hard/easy is it?

As Ashrem said it is hard to answer, one thing to remember is the game is balanced on free to play players, so 0 expansions. I have played a free town (o expansions) through to start of constructs with no issue. Stopped there simply due to time and it was not my primary town.

In terms of what you were told I would disagree with the premise. The percentage of space that the guest races use does increase but it is marginal in its increase. The physical space might go up but it is in proportion to your town. Guest race needs commonly fluctuate around 18-20% of a towns total size (haven't checked most recent chapters). Couple that with the availability of PP spells any space squeeze is easily offset. The bigger issue is as Ashrem again pointed out is your willingness to adjust your town to meet the new challenge. If you do feel the space squeeze there are some common areas to look at to create space.

DeletedUser12171

I've heard people say that starting with chapters 10-11, the guest races start to take a lot more space, which forces you to buy more expansions.

I might add that there really isn't any "forced" situation in the game, seeing as it is entirely possible to get to the end of chapter 15 without paying a dime. What "people" usually mean when they say "forced" in this type of situation is, "I want something that requires money but I don't want to pay for it", or "I can't be bothered/don't want to think how to make things work with the resources available to me"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepTerminal

As Ashrem said it is hard to answer, one thing to remember is the game is balanced on free to play players, so 0 expansions. I have played a free town (o expansions) through to start of constructs with no issue. Stopped there simply due to time and it was not my primary town.

In terms of what you were told I would disagree with the premise. The percentage of space that the guest races use does increase but it is marginal in its increase. The physical space might go up but it is in proportion to your town. Guest race needs commonly fluctuate around 18-20% of a towns total size (haven't checked most recent chapters). Couple that with the availability of PP spells any space squeeze is easily offset. The bigger issue is as Ashrem again pointed out is your willingness to adjust your town to meet the new challenge. If you do feel the space squeeze there are some common areas to look at to create space.
Thanks for the reply. What is PP spells?

Risen Malchiah

Indeed, Portal Profits help tremendously for some guest races and not as much in others, but overall, they can allow you to get by with slightly smaller settlements.

Another thing to consider is instead of getting more premium expansions (which continues to rise in cost), you might consider getting magic workshops instead. (Use 1 to replace 2 normal workshops and it's like getting a premium expansion for a fraction of the cost.) This is especially beneficial if you are in a fellowship that gets 10 chests in a tournament in which case the upgrades will be free.

Deleted User - 3932582

Another thing to consider is instead of getting more premium expansions (which continues to rise in cost), you might consider getting magic workshops instead. (Use 1 to replace 2 normal workshops and it's like getting a premium expansion for a fraction of the cost.)
This is generally true for later chapters, where workshops are larger (close to a full expansion), and you don't have much (if any) need to upgrade them further. It doesn't work that well in early and mid game (unless you keep getting them for free from the Spire).

Risen Malchiah

True, though I'm kicking myself for not getting more magic residences & workshops when the cost was cheaper. But back then, I didn't expect to ever get a blueprint so I thought those buildings were a waste of diamonds. Now, even at 1400 each, they are far less than what my next premium expansion would be.

Deleted User - 3932582

True, though I'm kicking myself for not getting more magic residences & workshops when the cost was cheaper. But back then, I didn't expect to ever get a blueprint so I thought those buildings were a waste of diamonds. Now, even at 1400 each, they are far less than what my next premium expansion would be.
One thing to consider with MWs though is impact on events. If Inno doesn't do 2:1 accounting for timed MW productions, then you would have much harder time to do timed workshop quests in the events.

WolfSinger

One thing to consider with MWs though is impact on events. If Inno doesn't do 2:1 accounting for timed MW productions, then you would have much harder time to do timed workshop quests in the events.

Do we have confirmation that they are doing away with the 2:1 for MW productions? In the last event - when I hit the bonus quests which required 'current' level for MWs - I was getting 2:1 on productions that required production of x item x times. ie 1 MW worked when asked to produce toolboxes 2 times. I was really confused at seeing comments about the 2:1 not working when it was working fine for me.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Do we have confirmation that they are doing away with the 2:1 for MW productions? In the last event - when I hit the bonus quests which required 'current' level for MWs - I was getting 2:1 on productions that required production of x item x times. ie 1 MW worked when asked to produce toolboxes 2 times. I was really confused at seeing comments about the 2:1 not working when it was working fine for me.
It's not about doing away with it. They have not yet ever counted them double for making badges in the FA, only in the Special Events.

WolfSinger

@Ashrem - I understand that - but the post I was replying to said just said events (not FA specifically) and I did see some comments on the Winter event that implied the Magic Workshops were no longer being counted as 2:1 for timed productions - hence my comment about it still counting as 2:1 for me.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
In browser, you can hover over the premioum expansion b=lace block to see how may you have left out of the 35 that are available to start.

Below city has 32 left out of the 35 available, so has placed 3

1578424326583.png

NightshadeCS

Ah, thanks you @Ashrem and @Risen Malchiah .

Looking at my city, I have placed 6 premium expansions. I feel like I have been able to make room for all the guest race settlements with that number, and maybe a few instances of heart-rending sell-offs. Some tough choices had to be made at times, and I definitely spent a few (hundred) hours making spreadsheets of my culture, pop, mana, seed efficiency to make sure I was keeping only the buildings that provided near maximum efficiency.