• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New Tournament Format

BrinDarby

There's already so little to keep someone occupied..... 4x less battles = 4x less thinsg to do ...
Sorry all u old players, don't hose new players who need to learn combat better and need
those 4x battles...

Why not meaninfull chg in tournaments... like ohhhh increasing battlefield size, and increasing # of
slots of troops.... but then you need a much more dynamic AI, and thats alot of coding compared
to a menu or a few pics.......

What about a round robin PvP Tournament......best 3 of 5, doubble elimination......
Its not like thats outright war on cities..... so not like u get attacked and lose it all....

The AI is too simplistic so it was easier to just make it harder, rather than making it more
dynamic...... other players don't make rookie mistakes !!! that would be a challange !!!!
and yes rules on upgrades like UUU-ELR-MMM , no AW help, basic troop lvls for all,
and alternating "last-picks" for troops ....... Lets see who the really good fighters are......

NightshadeCS

Yes, the developers have been adamant that they will not introduce PvP in this game. It was designed specifically not to have it. There are other games you can play, including other Inno titles, that have PvP elements.

As for hamstringing new players who will not have the opportunity to learn the battle intricacies when we reduce down to one encounter, I think that is overstated. We have the Spire now, so people at least have a chance to fight a few more battles than the time in which the tourney and provinces were the only options. Also, newer players are completing far more provinces than older players, so there, too, they have lots of opportunity for fighting.

I can stick my neck out and hazard a guess that there are more people who find the battles tedious than those who wish there were more so that they could hone their skills.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I can stick my neck out and hazard a guess that there are more people who find the battles tedious than those who wish there were more so that they could hone their skills.
Yes! There are just so many encounters under the current system you have to do in order to get a decent tournament score. Of all the elements of the new tournament format, cutting back to 25% of the current total is what I am most looking forward to. There is a practical element in it for me as well: often I have to check in at work on mobile during a break. So my time in game is very limited in these instances. Being able to do tournament provinces 4 times as quickly will be a huge benefit to me.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I have been fighting for more than 4 years, and yes, there are both more and less opportunities to fight. When I started playing we voted to skip tournament on EN1 and allow testing on EN2 only. So there was only provinces to be fought.
Then tournament was 8 encounters but too hard to fight without a developed Monastery or Sanctuary. Then they scaled it back to 4 encounters and based the encounters on our squad sizes. Later on the way this scaled up was tweaked. Down the road the Spire was released.
But you are on a good track regarding learning opportunities. If you do the optional squad size upgrades once the new format is released, then province encounters should be feasible to fight, assuming of course that you have taken care to only solve what is needed for the current chapter province requirements.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
QUOTE="Iamaita, post: 191236, member: 26852"]
I would hate a PvP anything. I like this game because it doesn’t have a PvP component, and many of the other players I have interacted with feel the same.
[/QUOTE]

The problem with PVP in other games is usually two-fold. First, the emphasis some players put upon it means they go to all sorts of sometimes questionable tactics just to "win," especially if there's a "leader board." Being #1 in some kind of fight is a natural draw for younger, mostly male players. But if you remove the ranking or impact on ranking so that it's a sort of "side game," it might work. Provided you also handle the second problem with PVP, the necessity of engaging in PVP either because you are attacked or because your score is somewhat dependent upon engaging in PVP. The second part of this has been addressed already, the first part, being forced by being attacked, is the primary reason most F2P games have a bunch of "rules" and "restrictions" about when you can be attacked. Some of them are coded, some traditions, and some even player enforced, but almost all F2P games with PVP find it necessary to restrict PVP in some manner.

So the thing is, PVP that is completely voluntary and not necessary for ranking or anything else, would be fine. Once you put out a ranking or make it necessary to ranking or in defense, you can probably kiss a lot of players here good bye. And I'd be one of them.

AJ

BrinDarby

@NightshadeCS ,
Being overscouted just trying to trade with more ppl........ reg encounters AND the Spire are NO-GOs to fighting.
The Only place I can fight with a chance of success is in tournaments....so NO, there are not other ways to fight
and learn...... This change is HORRIBLE for younger players, even if it is a bit easier to fight !!!!!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@NightshadeCS ,
Being overscouted just trying to trade with more ppl........ reg encounters AND the Spire are NO-GOs to fighting.
The Only place I can fight with a chance of success is in tournaments....so NO, there are not other ways to fight
and learn...... This change is HORRIBLE for younger players, even if it is a bit easier to fight !!!!!
Honestly, there's not that much to learn though. I mean it's just a game of rock-paper-scissors (lizard-spock), and small new players only have 3/5 of those.
For strategy once you have selected units it come down to a 1 step flowchart:
Can the enemy move and hit you in it's next turn?
If no: stay put and let them move into your range
If yes: attack

That's kinda it.

BrinDarby

@SoggyShorts ,
Yet again, this is a old player vs new player problem.....
This is a Watch-the-paint-dry game, taking 75% of ""something to do"" away .. sux for many of us
non CH15/played for 4 years players that have 200 provinces open...... I want 4 fights per province, period !
BrinD

SoggyShorts

@SoggyShorts ,
Yet again, this is a old player vs new player problem.....
This is a Watch-the-paint-dry game, taking 75% of ""something to do"" away .. sux for many of us
non CH15/played for 4 years players that have 200 provinces open...... I want 4 fights per province, period !
BrinD
There are 8 worlds, start a second city.:p
Also, all new players can grow. The tutorial chapters (1-5) only take a couple months to clear and then you'd be on the side of wanting 1 per province for years after that.
I'm not saying that new players don't matter, but if you have to choose between something that is a little annoying for 5-year olds or really tedious for everyone else, that 5 year old is gonna have to wait;)

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I DO have a question about the new tournament format which I hope some Beta players can answer. From everything I have read the new tournament format makes the early provinces easier and makes the later provinces harder. So province 1 of the new format is easier than province 1 of the current format. But province 15 of the new format will be harder than province 15 of the current format. What I am wondering is: at what point do the the difficulty of the current system and the new format intersect? By that I mean, does the difficulty of province 6 in current format equal the difficulty of province 6 under the new format? Or does province 9 under the old format equal province 9 under the new format? These are just examples, what is the actual data?

SoggyShorts

What I am wondering is: at what point do the the difficulty of the current system and the new format intersect?
There are a few points where they intersect, this chart shows them best:

Round 1 becomes harder after province#6
Round 3 is the exact same in province #8
Round 6 becomes easier until province #16
Province #21 will be harder than anything we currently have at every round

Last edited:

qaccy

Eagerly awaiting the tournament changes. Spending 30+ minutes per round on the tournament is not gameplay, it's tedious. Endless clicking through 50+ provinces up to 6 times a week is, again, just tedious. There is no gameplay involved in clicking buttons for 30+ minutes at a time, 6 times a week. And that's just auto-fighting. If I was crazy enough to do manual I wouldn't even bother doing that many provinces/rounds per week because I find Elvenar's battle system to be terrible.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Eagerly awaiting the tournament changes. Spending 30+ minutes per round on the tournament is not gameplay, it's tedious. Endless clicking through 50+ provinces up to 6 times a week is, again, just tedious. There is no gameplay involved in clicking buttons for 30+ minutes at a time, 6 times a week. And that's just auto-fighting. If I was crazy enough to do manual I wouldn't even bother doing that many provinces/rounds per week because I find Elvenar's battle system to be terrible.

I do like to manually fight....though the only time I do it is when I want to see how high I can get in the current tournament. I did that back in the steel and ended up doing all the provinces I could (45? I think) and achieving a score that got me in the top 20. I manually fought all those and each round took me over an hour. I can't do that each week and thus, if the fighting is one per province I might be able to do that. If so then the difficulty levels will certainly be reduced as manual fighting is just better than auto-fighting, which is what I do no in the tournament.

So I'm looking forward to the new format because I may be able to make up for some of the increased difficulty of some levels by manually fighting rather than auto-fight.

AJ

DeletedUser26692

Hopefully they update mobile to be able to manually fight soon, because having no other option but auto fight in the new tournament is going to be quite disheartening for a lot of players.

SoggyShorts

Hopefully they update mobile to be able to manually fight soon
I'm not even sure that's on the table. Considering how many small, comparatively simple jobs take months or years, mobile manual fights is a beast.
I've been auto-fighting on Live and Beta successfully though- the changes really only affect those going for more than 1600 points or wanting to do 20+ provinces.

DeletedUser26692

I am not questioning your opinion on this in anyway.... After looking through YEARS of different threads and HUNDREDS of posts I can see that you have been spot on for almost everything you have ever posted about. And I thank you for all of the information you have brought to the Fourms, however a few months ago I left a comment on one of the you-tube videos that inno released, expressing my wish for mobile to have a manual fight feature and I got this response from the official channel..... And it might be entirely lip service, but it did bring me hope.

You may have to scroll up to see all of their post if you are on mobile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200926-100415.png
    Screenshot_20200926-100415.png
    323.6 KB · Views: 98