• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winter Magic - Discussion

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Locked on the Event until next spire b/c tournament fights don't count for 50/51 whichever it is.

So stupid.

Oh and when it says solve a spire encounter, convincing doesn't count.

Locked on the event because it doesn't function as it says its supposed too.

Quest 51: Solve 8 Spire Encounters or Fight and win 8 Encounters AND produce fresh supplies for the inhabitants of your city.

This is not an AND/OR option, so you have to do either 8 Spire or 8 world map, not a mix of both, in case that is the problem. For example, if someone fought 3 world map encounters and then went to the Spire, the first three in the Spire would look like they did not count, but once that person did a fourth Spire encounter, the quest counter would switch from saying 3 of 8 world map to saying 4 of 8 Spire.

ekarat

Doesn't work.
Some players, especially newer ones would get totally stuck by having multiple "gain VV" and "Gain xx relics" at the start and miss out on the prizes they want if offered early while other players would get all the easy ones to start and then get stuck at the end with no ability to complete the list as they would run out of time.

No one is forcing you to.
Every event you come here to complain that players know the quest tasks in advance and yet you yourself do it.
You know this isn't a PvP game, right?

Honestly, the quests are so generic that the quest list doesn't actually make a big difference at all (I should know, I'm the one who writes the lists on Beta) and I never even reference them on live after setting a few workshops.
Do you know why those lists are so popular? Probably because it's a pretty casual game.

By contrast, back in the day, they had quests for 2-day T1 productions (before time boosters were a thing), and for that I needed a quest list.

Now, it's not necessary anymore, and I welcome this change.

mikeledo

I would be more avid about spending money to get evolve buildings and artifacts if I could teleport them. As of right now, I am afraid to place them in fear I might need the space back especially when they are borderline worthy. Also if INNO was interested in making money, a complete Fire Phoenix would have made a great Black Friday special, and buying expansions would make fighting easier, not harder.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I am very disappointed with the Winter Magic quests ..... so much fighting! I like the game because I don't have to fight.

I'm pretty sure that I have not battled at all for the event quests. There is always an "OR" or it says "solve" instead of battle. I chose this game because I don't like battling. I do battle the tournament but not with the expertise or effort others put into them. It has helped since I made it a mission to upgrade all of my battle related AW. Catering has become too huge for me to cater the tournament. I still bite the bullet and cater explorations and the spire.

Aritra

I am very disappointed with the Winter Magic quests ..... so much fighting! I like the game because I don't have to fight.
There is always an alternative.
I have never fought, period.
Spire encounters, tournament encounters, province encounters, whether Event or city business.
Many choose to fight because they find it easier (and/or cheaper) under some circumstances, but it is never necessary.

GlamDoll

I still bite the bullet and cater explorations and the spire.

I feel ya! Ii have been doing that even longer than I recall. I set my city to have AWs & cater all, long ago. But, with a few 'booster' buildings to troops, it was way easier to fight the last boss in Spire, than to guess my goods away into oblivion. (BTW, we all have a different reality in there now, but I have 8 goods to choose from, just with that encounter, alone)...

Did I mention I did it auto? I realize it's not a sustainable strategy, if I run out of my buildings faster than I can acquire them, but, it was a nice reprieve.

Aritra

I was giving some thought to the format complaints and something occurred to me.
[This is a generalization and will not apply to all players]

It seems that the strong feelings about the format swing in rather wide opposition: more or less, what one likes about one is the reason the other doesn't like it and vice versa. It also occurred to me how much chapter progression impacts this. I noticed a pattern that the "boring" version is popular among earlier-chapter players, whereas later-chapter players want more strategy (challenge). Perception of prizes is also affected by this. I've been very happy with the prizes. I didn't have any of them already (to replace) and the numbers were mostly good/great. I recently found out that some of these prizes are recycled from previous years, so the players who have been around more than a year aren't necessarily interested in them, whereas, they are new to the newer player (just under a year, myself). Newer players are not yet bored with "brainless click-fest" (as it has been not so affectionately called) and value the prizes. Older players are bored, want a challenge, and prizes they can value. Regarding event prizes, I have no suggestion; This is just my observation.

Now, this may be a coincidence and will not continue (not enough data to really project fairly yet because this is too new), but it seems to me that alternating "boring/click" events with "strategy/complicated" events might be by design. If so, points to the devs! (If not, then I think it would be a good idea if they did.) They've been doing this long enough to know they can't please everybody and the spectrum of chapter levels participating (independent of balancing issues, I'm sure they're aware that a chapter three experience is different from a chapter fourteen experience). One event, most complaints come from one group, and the next event has most complaints coming from other group. It's kind of a longer-term balancing. There are those who are quick to quit, but many stick around and see the pendulum come back and they are [somewhat] appeased for a time... and repeat.

I've heard disappointment from multiple players regarding the return of a format the player thought had been discontinued. This is based on the assumption the events are being developed to be the same and only vary by the "improvement" tweaks seen in new differences. But it makes sense to use two formats (and tweak them independently as needed) instead of one attempting to please the spectrum with attempted one-size-fits-all.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
But it makes sense to use two formats (and tweak them independently as needed) instead of one attempting to please the spectrum with attempted one-size-fits-all.
Indeed. One shouldn't expect the misty forest fog event to replace all others, that'd be just silly. Even though I enjoyed it the most since it was by far the most engaging format, I would only want to see it once or maybe twice a year.
Likewise, the requests to "Go back to the 3-chest format" are unnecessary since the developers will almost certainly do so for some events.

Having 3-6 different formats and trying to please most of the players most of the time makes the most sense.

It also greatly reduces the burden on the developers if they have a bigger pool to pull from. I did a stint of teaching English overseas and once I had 30 solid lesson plans designed that I could just put on repeat (with minor tweaks) life was so much easier.

Blue-Iris

This has been my favorite event so far. It's easy to understand, and with a bit of planning, the prizes you want are almost guaranteed. I only play when there's a building I want, saving my keys in the interim, and because I stockpile keys, I've gotten every almost building I wanted in all cities that I have with the exception of the owl cave and ice cream farm that appeared in the first two days.

I have two suggestions for the developers. (1) Don't start out the game with the best buildings and especially not two days in a row. I didn't get an owl cave or an ice cream farm in every city I have because it was too soon, and I didn't have time to save up keys, so that was a disappointment. I'm glad to see the owl cave appear again in another week. Am saving up for that. (2) Repeat the opportunities for the buildings offered at the beginning -- if they have to be offered at the beginning -- at the end. There are several days where prizes aren't listed yet. I hope they offer the ice cream farm again.

Aritra

This has been my favorite event so far. It's easy to understand, and with a bit of planning, the prizes you want are almost guaranteed. I only play when there's a building I want, saving my keys in the interim, and because I stockpile keys, I've gotten every almost building I wanted in all cities that I have with the exception of the owl cave and ice cream farm that appeared in the first two days.
I've been using the same/similar strategy regarding the keys. Because of that, I've acquired everything I wanted (and then some, lol). I've generally had decent luck, not needing to nearly clear the board to get what I wanted. My biggest challenge is resisting opening boxes when I'm in between sought-after items. Intend to stock pile to improve chances (in case I do have a run of poor luck). I'll progress the path and pick up extras along the way when I'm there for a purpose (rather than burn through the keys because I had poor impulse control, lol).

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
The quest line hasnt rly been that bad. They removed so many of the problematic quests like 'complete a provenience' and 48 productions. So naturally they are left with a smaller list of available quests. So some times it might seem repetitive. And with the exception of the fist 5-10 'simple' quests, there hasnt been a need for spamming t1 buildings either.

I also like how the exchanging/using of the key currency is a lot faster then the old 'pick one of three chests' style.

However.. i am concerned about the artifacts. Im thinking i might not be getting them all this time around. (and iv gotten them for every evolving building so far.) But im on quests 70~/90~ and just used half my available currency. And i only got two artifacts. And the same held true on my second city. (and i was goign specifically after artifacts). So i see some seriouse luck being a factor on whether i get 9 or not. But its easier to see it failing to happen then to happen right now.

Aritra

The quest line hasnt rly been that bad. They removed so many of the problematic quests like 'complete a provenience' and 48 productions. So naturally they are left with a smaller list of available quests. So some times it might seem repetitive. And with the exception of the fist 5-10 'simple' quests, there hasnt been a need for spamming t1 buildings either.

I also like how the exchanging/using of the key currency is a lot faster then the old 'pick one of three chests' style.

However.. i am concerned about the artifacts. Im thinking i might not be getting them all this time around. (and iv gotten them for every evolving building so far.) But im on quests 70~/90~ and just used half my available currency. And i only got two artifacts. And the same held true on my second city. (and i was goign specifically after artifacts). So i see some seriouse luck being a factor on whether i get 9 or not. But its easier to see it failing to happen then to happen right now.
I'm a bit confused. That's one of the reasons I like this format. With every box I open, I progress. As long as I have keys, I'll make it through the waypoints naturally and acquire the artifacts at set intervals. I'm at quest #77 and have six artifacts. I've never fully evolved a building in an event before so I'm excited. The highest I ever evolved in an event before was level seven, which is where I would be if I stopped now. But it isn't over yet. There are still fifteen days of 25 minimum daily keys, plus outskirts, plus remaining quests. I've been using my keys, but also holding some back for "just in case" for future buildings I want. I have not kept track of the number keys acquired vs spent but I have artifacts plus every building I wanted (with some left over for future use) so I've been using them quite a bit. Seems to me that the only way possible to have that few artifacts with quests that progressed is if you're simply not spending enough keys yet to progress on the path through those waypoints (yet). Having two artifacts lines up with what is obtained by quests alone. Spend your keys and you'll get there, but spend wisely so you can maximize your winnings along the way. I suppose there could be a luck factor regarding opening a box containing more than one step, but I wouldn't think the difference would be so significant to jeopardize artifacts. [Or am I missing something?]

SoggyShorts

I suppose there could be a luck factor regarding opening a box containing more than one step, but I wouldn't think the difference would be so significant to jeopardize artifacts. [Or am I missing something?]
You get about 5,000 keys if you complete all of the quests, log in each day, and collect around your city a few times per day.
If you blindly open every single box that's 200 presents without any doubles or the 3&4 present boxes.
200 presents gets you 10 grand prizes of which 1,3,5,7,9 are artifacts. Plus the 2 milestone artifacts for completing quest #20&70 makes 7 artifacts.
With the worst possible luck, all 11 times that you use your 2x bonus results in 11 extra presents. for the other 189 boxes that you open at least some of them will be 2,3, or 4 present boxes so another 9 bonus presents is pretty certain for 1 more artifact (GP #11)
To get that final needed 9th artifact you would need to be clearing boards at least enough to get the bonus presents. (5K keys could clear a dozen boards granting around 40 more bonus presents).

So, if you get the boxes that give bonus presents on each board that you touch you are almost guaranteed a fully evolved owl.
But what about the reshuffle? Well, if you pay to use it just a few times and never hit a bonus present box with your 2x boost, or miss half of the key collections around your city, or stop after clearing half boards without finding the bonus presents, then you will end up short.

On the other hand, If you think there is an FA coming up that will offer the usual 2 artifacts as rewards, then you can hit reshuffle up to 33x almost doubling your daily prize take and still get 7 artifacts guaranteed plus those 2 from the FA for a fully evolved owl.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 4565442

I wanted to finally have Tower of the Winter King in town, even 1 building.
But no, if you didn't play in 2016 you can forget about having this beautiful building...

SoggyShorts

I wanted to finally have Tower of the Winter King in town, even 1 building.
But no, if you didn't play in 2016 you can forget about having this beautiful building...
I think that's fair.
Those who have it didn't just "play in 2016"
They bought it with real $$$ (or hit a 1 in a million chance)
Then they kept it for years taking up a huge chunk of space while it slowly lost value (Royal restorations didn't exist back then)

I think those players deserve their unique prize.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
You get about 5,000 keys if you complete all of the quests, log in each day, and collect around your city a few times per day.
If you blindly open every single box that's 200 presents without any doubles or the 3&4 present boxes.
200 presents gets you 10 grand prizes of which 1,3,5,7,9 are artifacts. Plus the 2 milestone artifacts for completing quest #20&70 makes 7 artifacts.
With the worst possible luck, all 11 times that you use your 2x bonus results in 11 extra presents. for the other 189 boxes that you open at least some of them will be 2,3, or 4 present boxes so another 9 bonus presents is pretty certain for 1 more artifact (GP #11)
To get that final needed 9th artifact you would need to be clearing boards at least enough to get the bonus presents. (5K keys could clear a dozen boards granting around 40 more bonus presents).

So, if you get the boxes that give bonus presents on each board that you touch you are almost guaranteed a fully evolved owl.
But what about the reshuffle? Well, if you pay to use it just a few times and never hit a bonus present box with your 2x boost, or miss half of the key collections around your city, or stop after clearing half boards without finding the bonus presents, then you will end up short.

On the other hand, If you think there is an FA coming up that will offer the usual 2 artifacts as rewards, then you can hit reshuffle up to 33x almost doubling your daily prize take and still get 7 artifacts guaranteed plus those 2 from the FA for a fully evolved owl.

I don't remember if I posted this here or on Beta, but the simplest way to track it is that, worst case, every 400 keys pretty much guarantees a grand prize. If you open all 16 boxes, that is 400 keys, which gets you 16 presents. Then, if you are careful to check for the prizes that are just bonus presents, you can get 3 or 4 extra. Plus the extra from using the 2x every other board.

It takes 13 grand prizes to get 7 artifacts, so 5200 keys.

Also, no FA so far on Beta.