• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Thoughts about Arcane Residue...

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Here is a list of the individual prizes I won during the FA in my chapter 5 city for making AR badges like a maniac.
I actually feel pretty well rewarded!
But it is kinda just a coincidence that you got those prizes and an FA was running.
If you perform the exact same actions in a week or 2 you'll get those same rewards even without an FA running.

Iyapo1

@SoggyShorts Most of this thread is discussing the "cost" of these badges without ever looking at the rewards. This badge has awsome rewards attached by design.

Deleted User - 1178646

Much like my luck in the spire, I always seem to end up with the winter lampions as my mystical object, LOL. I think I could blanket me city in them. Congrats on a nice grab bag of goodies, though.

I once had no diamonds in 36 chest. (18 times a chance of 20/30% on diamonds)
I also had a run of 6x diamonds in a row (thats 12 chests as only 1 out of 2 chests has a diamond option)

Keep trying you will get them eventually sometimes your lucky sometimes your luck sucks.

Dew Spinner

Not in all fellowships. Anybody who persisted in doing 1600 points in my main group would eventually be shown to the door. And in my smaller group, quite a bit less is acceptable.

Just like with the FA, each group has a threshold for tourney expectations. They're not all set at 1600.
Yet, several posters have acted like I can and should do what ever I like in my FS, it just isn't true. Like I am being forced or don't have to participate to any level above dropping 1 badge on a map, if I don't want to, it just isn't true. Like having higher ranked FS not find you appealing even though you have a high tourney score for your city size and go to the top of the spire every week is because "you don't know how to sell yourself" or it's just easy to do, it just isn't true. Like making enough ARs to do a decent showing in FA is a piece of cake or you should go without resources on a daily basis in your city to save them to participate in FA, it just isn't true. It's a GOOD thing that I have 4 Moonstone sets or I would be seriously screwed right now!

Dew Spinner

No it isn't there are fellowships that have higher goals.

Either to get 19 chest or compete vs other fellowships in the world.

Nobody forces to do all this much, nobody forces you to be in a fellowship that demands you do this much.
It's your choice, and you pay the price for your choice.

It's silly to demand that you should be able to do a top FA run without costs.
Just as it's silly to demand you should be able to do your share with little more effort than 1600 points in a 19 chest Fellowship with 300K tournament points.

Each of us has to decide in what kind of fellowship we want to be.

Ps. in the old format with your argument you could have been forces to destroy your entire town with only a main hall, builders hutt, barracks and some pop culture buildings left and only own level 1 workshops and manufactories.
At least according to your teamplayer argument thats what you should have done previously.

I am pretty sure you would have said no, I am willing to go this far and that is it, the same applies to this. you can say I am willing to spend X and that is it. maybe that becomes X+ a bit but it should never become 2-3-4-5-6 times X.
And if thats not good enough for your fellowship it's time to move on.

I am pretty sure not all 25 players do Y times X there are for sure a few who do less in it.

I have been in a very active FA fellowship, I teached them from rookies to a level 10 chest fellowship in the old format. I teached them more effective FA plays. and then the Spire arrived I got them to make the jump to a gold fellowship after a while.
But when they went mad in the FA on a new world I was like I can do this and thats it. nothing more because it takes to much of a toll on my city and I am not willing to take that.
They accepted my limitations, and if they would not have done that I would have moved on.

Thats how it should be. communications is also being a good teamplayer, make sure to others where your boundries are.

Just like someone else made the argument my Archmage decides....
I am an Archmage myself but I decide not much. my fellowship runs itself. and decisions are most of the time made by listening to my fellows.
I do not force anything, what I sometimes do when I think something is interesting or important is to seek to motivate my fellows. have them make there own decision to try/test and join me. if they don't I do not blame them, if someone else blame them I take them in protection and fire back.

Somehow every single time I get all the noses the same way, not by telling them what to do, but with showing benefits and to show them by example.
I can also steer the future by picking my new recruits when someone decides to move on. but thats as much as I can do.

So if they say no, then it's no.
We are not doing a top FS run and my city inventory is devastated as I posted before, it's a good thing I have 4 Moonstone sets or it would be many weeks before I recovered , let alone "save" for the next one.. Decisions in a FS are voted on a lot of the time and some get out voted and you know this. Everyone is putting up excuse after excuse when they know that is not how things work, using the word "motivate" is the same as expecting in the eyes of a younger city trying to stay in a decent FS. Everyone says think outside of your own game and all I see from the same people saying this, is them only looking at their own personal game, FS and experience.

Dew Spinner

Here is a list of the individual prizes I won during the FA in my chapter 5 city for making AR badges like a maniac.

I actually feel pretty well rewarded!
I am glad for you but a lot of cities' inventories are totally devastated and will takes weeks to recover, don't forget to look outside of your own game, like everyone likes to chant on here.

Iyapo1

don't forget to look outside of your own game
I really like this badge. I think it is an excellent way to introduce players to the mystical object and all the diamonds you can win in it.

Players who make a lot of these badges will get to open the mystical object 2-4 times during the FA. I love that! Pursuing this badge results in a potentially awsome reward for individual players.
Obviously I already know about the Mystical Object.

Deleted User - 1178646

We are not doing a top FS run and my city inventory is devastated as I posted before, it's a good thing I have 4 Moonstone sets or it would be many weeks before I recovered , let alone "save" for the next one.. Decisions in a FS are voted on a lot of the time and some get out voted and you know this. Everyone is putting up excuse after excuse when they know that is not how things work, using the word "motivate" is the same as expecting in the eyes of a younger city trying to stay in a decent FS. Everyone says think outside of your own game and all I see from the same people saying this, is them only looking at their own personal game, FS and experience.
This is contradicting, your doing not a top run, everyone must be a teamplayer so go all out, My inventory is devastated.

Sounds like you're doing all the hard work.
If you are not going all out in the FA, then why are you burning up all your goods?
For what?
I showed earlier that if every person in your fellowship made 1 badge a day you have enough badges to do all 3 routes on all 3 maps
thats plenty of participation.

So why are you not crafting normal and relax, why do you whip yourself into a frenzy, making arcane residue like your life depends on it, making yourself go nuts about a badge because you hate it?
For what are you doing everything that makes no sense?

Dont talk to me about teamplay, if 25 players would throw all there resources at the FA you would battle for top places.
So if you are not battling for top places and going all out, then it looks like your fellows do not put as much effort in it as you do, and are much more sensible.

And what? you track how much everyone put into the FA?
Whats the name of your fellowship? FC Paranoid?

Dude thats some sick behavior to go around with a whip towards your fellows in an FA.
This also strengthens my idea that your fellows take a more sensible approach to the FA, why else would you need a whip to force people to do more?

I think you are in dire need of a fellowship where you can relax your mind and come back to your senses.
Find out how to play with fun, instead of with fear and violence.

*shivers*

SoggyShorts

Yet, several posters have acted like I can and should do what ever I like in my FS
Link? I've never seen a poster on these forums tell anyone that they can or should "do anything they want" in a fellowship in any context.
Find a fellowship with rules and expectations that meet your own? Yes, but "do whatever you want?" Hell no.

Last edited:

Sprite1313

If you think adequate support to your FS goals means that you have to completely cripple your city beyond your ability to recover, then you probably need to look at a different FS. Like several posters have said, you can actively participate and support the FA without completely crippling your city. @CrazyWizard is probably right - you need to find an FS where you are a better fit.

This is not only "thinking inside my own game", it is just thinking about the game in general. If meeting the expectations of your FS is driving you to distraction and stressing you out, is this still fun for you? Yes, ARs are hard to get if your FS is trying to keep a top spot (I know there is a lot of disagreement on that, but I happen to be in the camp that thinks this is true), but are there other badges you can contribute that won't cripple your city? Is your FS really tracking how many of each badge each player puts down? Are they going to boot you because you only made 10 ARs, even though your dropped 100 statues?

We have a lot of players in our FS who are very gung ho on FA, but they don't expect everyone to be that way. Honestly, for most FAs, I still tear my city apart, bring in a bunch of extra T1 boosted manus, level 1 WS and T1 marble/plank manus for badges. But this is my choice. Nobody in my FS (even our most FA fanatic members) calls me on the carpet if I don't go nutso for an FA. I realize that this is not your experience, but maybe it should be. If you are being judged unworthy because you don't destroy your city and cripple your ability to grow for several weeks, then your FS is probably a bad fit.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
trying to stay in a decent FS.
Your definition of 'decent' and mine are definitely not the same. I bring what I bring to the game. I know and enforce my own boundaries. An FS that would expel me for those boundaries in one tiny area of the game? Controlling behavior on that level would probably have been obvious to me and expulsion wouldn't be necessary. Maybe it's because I'm old, but I've learned I'd rather be happy alone than miserable with plenty of company. And 'decent' is not the word I would use to describe them...

SoggyShorts

Your definition of 'decent' and mine are definitely not the same.
Same here.
We get gold spire every week, ~12 chests, and finish top 25 in the FA with ZERO expectations, we only encourage players to place one badge per stage to get the rewards, and at least 5 players do just that. Our relatively high FA ranking is due to half(?) of the FS doing extra badges just for something to do.
We will likely never crack the top 20 for FS score though and remain in the top 40 because we enjoy helping new players grow, and it's simply impossible to have a top score if half of your players are sub 100K.

All that adds up to a decent FS by my definition.

Dew Spinner

This is contradicting, your doing not a top run, everyone must be a teamplayer so go all out, My inventory is devastated.

Sounds like you're doing all the hard work.
If you are not going all out in the FA, then why are you burning up all your goods?
For what?
I showed earlier that if every person in your fellowship made 1 badge a day you have enough badges to do all 3 routes on all 3 maps
thats plenty of participation.

So why are you not crafting normal and relax, why do you whip yourself into a frenzy, making arcane residue like your life depends on it, making yourself go nuts about a badge because you hate it?
For what are you doing everything that makes no sense?

Dont talk to me about teamplay, if 25 players would throw all there resources at the FA you would battle for top places.
So if you are not battling for top places and going all out, then it looks like your fellows do not put as much effort in it as you do, and are much more sensible.

And what? you track how much everyone put into the FA?
Whats the name of your fellowship? FC Paranoid?

Dude thats some sick behavior to go around with a whip towards your fellows in an FA.
This also strengthens my idea that your fellows take a more sensible approach to the FA, why else would you need a whip to force people to do more?

I think you are in dire need of a fellowship where you can relax your mind and come back to your senses.
Find out how to play with fun, instead of with fear and violence.

*shivers*
FS have goals as I am sure you are well aware. It is easy to tell who contributes what to each waypoint/switchpoint with out physically tracking it on paper, again as you are well aware. I am not forcing anyone to do more, you are now grasping at straws to defend your stance. In no place did I say anything like I was whipping or forcing people. Personal attacks are also a good indicator of a defense that is severely lacking. Where was fear and violence ever mentioned...except by you? It might be you who needs to find a place to relax your mind. I give you an A+ for the hysterics.

Last edited:

Dew Spinner

Link? I've never seen a poster on these forums tell anyone that they can or should "do anything they want" in a fellowship in any context.
Find a fellowship with rules and expectations that meet your own? Yes, but "do whatever you want?" Hell no.
It has been implied that if you don't like FA just play as casually as you want regardless of how your FS wants to play. Which would be going against your FS and doing what YOU wanted and not being a Team Player.