• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Gaming disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3507

Put the controller down and step away from Candy Crush.

The World Health Organization will classify “gaming addiction” as an addictive behavior disorder, similar to gambling disorder, in its 2018 International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11), according to a beta draft posted on the ICD website.

The International Classification of Diseases contains codes as well as signs and symptoms of diseases and disorders to be used by healthcare and clinicians across the globe.
The organization classifies gaming addiction as a “pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior which may be online or offline.” The description says that the addiction may manifest by impaired control over gaming onset, frequency, intensity, duration or context, increasing priority giving to gaming so much so that it takes precedence of over aspects of daily life, and continuing or escalating gameplay despite negative consequences.

These symptoms normally must appear over a period of 12 months for a diagnosis, though it may be diagnosed in a shorter amount of time depending on the severity.
The new classification is not saying that all video game playing is a mental health disorder, but rather that excessive gaming over a period of time can lead to diagnosis and treatment.
The upcoming ICD, in its 11th update, will allow doctors and health care workers, as well as researchers and policymakers, to classify gaming addiction as a mental health condition. It is not the final update approved by WHO and wording may be changed based on expert suggestions to the beta draft.

While the ICD will be the first to official place video game addiction in its manual, it has been observed as a concern for nearly five years. The “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition: DSM-5” listed “Internet Gaming Disorder” as a “condition for further study” in 2013.
Video game play has been a constant debate over the years, with some studies saying it leads to violent behavior in real life — the American Psychological Association said in a 2015 policy statement that there is a demonstrated link between violent video game use and aggressive behavior — while others say video games are beneficial as a stress reliever and cognitive booster for memory. But as with everything, moderation is key.

So funny but true..

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Imagine a 12 step meeting:
"Hi my name is Dave, and I'm an addict. I once traded my dad's heart medication for meth."
-Thanks for sharing Dave
"Hi my name is Steve, and I'm an addict. I stabbed a guy for his wallet so I could buy heroin."
-Thanks for sharing Steve.
and then
"Hi my name is Josh, and I'm an addict. I once played World of Warcraft for 2 straight days."
-GTFO Josh.

Last edited:

DeletedUser12423

The World Health Organization will classify “gaming addiction” as an addictive behavior disorder, similar to gambling disorder
I think that could quite possibly be one of the most rediculous things I've ever read. Having fun is considered a disorder. Let's add breathing air to the list!
Jesus, mankind is in real trouble...

DeletedUser

I think that could quite possibly be one of the most rediculous things I've ever read. Having fun is considered a disorder. Let's add breathing air to the list!
Jesus, mankind is in real trouble...

Yes, humanity is in real trouble, but that's been the case for several centuries. :p

Actually, it's not having fun that is a disorder. When it becomes an all-consuming obsession, then it's a disorder. The article was pretty clear on that.

I've known people who threw away their money on their game and not paid their bills, people that got evicted from their apartments because they couldn't pay rent, because it went to the game. Marriages that ended because World Of Warcrack (or whatever their poison of choice) was more important than their child's piano recital or first Little League game. Or graduation. People who lost jobs because they called in sick too many times so they could play a stupid game. That's what's ridiculous...putting this pixelated BS ahead of real life.

DeletedUser12423

Actually, it's not having fun that is a disorder. When it becomes an all-consuming obsession, then it's a disorder. The article was pretty clear on that.
But again, they are simply diverting cause and effect. It has nothing to do with gaming. It's simply a matter of depression, that could happen on any topic.

DeletedUser

But again, they are simply diverting cause and effect. It has nothing to do with gaming. It's simply a matter of depression, that could happen on any topic.

I'm speaking from personal experience. You didn't know the people I knew. And you know, it really pisses me off when people push things off on depression, you just have no idea. I live with depression every single day, and trust me, it's not "simply a matter of depression". That's nothing more than a cop-out.

DeletedUser12423

I'm sorry, I know bad things happen in real life. But people are always looking for things to blame. It's simply not gaming that's the problem. At all. Look at the big picture. Life. It's bad choices in life which cause depression, and I'm tired of people not being accountable for their own choices!

DeletedUser

I'm sorry, I know bad things happen in real life. But people are always looking for things to blame. It's simply not gaming that's the problem. At all. Look at the big picture. Life. It's bad choices in life which cause depression, and I'm tired of people not being accountable for their own choices!

Ok, this is where you and I need to agree to disagree. I am sick and freaking tired of people who can not understand that not all depression is caused by choices!!!

DeletedUser12423

agree to disagree
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I've had to clean up alot of other peoples messes in real life because they refused to be held accountable. And the responsibility was pushed on someone else. In the past, often to me. I know life can be rough, but bottom line are our choices. No one makes anyone the way they are. Not God, not their enemies, not their family. People choose to be what they are. Who they are. And what they do in life. In no way can gaming be a disorder. It is probably the single most rediculous thing I have ever heard, in my entire life. The same problem with that person would found on almost any other activity, because the problem is the person and their choices, not the game. The world is so confused, it seems almost hopeless. Almost.

DeletedUser

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I've had to clean up alot of other peoples messes in real life because they refused to be held accountable. And the responsibility was pushed on someone else. In the past, often to me. I know life can be rough, but bottom line are our choices. No one makes anyone the way they are. Not God, not their enemies, not their family. People choose to be what they are. Who they are. And what they do in life. In no way can gaming be a disorder. It is probably the single most rediculous thing I have ever heard, in my entire life. The same problem with that person would found on almost any other activity, because the problem is the person and their choices, not the game. The world is so confused, it seems almost hopeless. Almost.

Rob, no one chooses to be born with genetic disorders or hereditary diseases. No one chooses to be born with Autism or a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression is quite often part of those and the people who suffer with them have no choice but to live with them. Saying, "oh, it's just depression" infuriates me, because it shows that the speaker has no idea what it is to live with something like that. It also often shows just how insensitive and out of touch the speaker is. I'm not saying that's you. But I didn't choose to be born with the cards I was dealt, I just have to play the hand as best I can, despite the fact that I'm playing with a rigged deck. So please don't tell me that it's all choice, because I know that it is not.

You and I have very different life experiences and I'm sorry you had to clean up for others. But you know, things can still turn out horribly for someone no matter what "good choices" they make.

Edit: And I do get what you're saying, by the way, about them not accepting responsibility for their actions and choices. We diverged into two separate conversations there when you threw 'depression' into it. I don't want you to think I don't agree with what you were saying about personal responsibility. The state of the world today is due in part to a complete lack of culpability.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12423

Rob, no one chooses to be born with genetic disorders or hereditary diseases. No one chooses to be born with Autism or a chemical imbalance in the brain
I just don't see it. How could anyone even compare the choice of playing a game to something like autism or being born with no legs, for example?

Is it not more likely, that there are excuses being used and blame being placed where it doesn't belong? They can call it anything they want to call it. It's still what it is. A person choosing to play a game rather then take care of their children, or be a good spouse?

I apologize, I feel strongly about alot of things. I was alcoholic once and I never agreed it was a disease. I told my peers that. I wasn't born with it, But I liked it so much I chose not to quit. When I did finally decide to quit drinking, I had already lost my wife and my career. I don't blame anyone else for my choices and I will never see it as a disease. I sobered up as soon as I chose too. Had I been born with no legs, for example, I would agree that there is no choice in that.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I just don't see it. How could anyone even compare the choice of playing a game to something like autism or being born with no legs, for example?

Oh, Rob...:p

You stated
It has nothing to do with gaming. It's simply a matter of depression, that could happen on any topic.

and that is where I went off. My point is that depression is something that some people are born with, so it's not a choice for them. Depression does not figure into every single instance of people choosing a game over real life. You might want to say it does, but what with 7.6 billion humans on Earth right now, that statement doesn't hold water. It is inconceivable to me that anyone can know what is true for every single one of those 7.6 billion people. You're speaking of absolutes, and I've never seen the world that way. And you're not the only one who feels strongly about things.

At any rate, none our sparring really belongs on this forum. If I had known you were going to take issue with my post and run this way with it, I would never had replied to you.

Live and learn, I suppose. :cool:

DeletedUser12423

True ^ ^ and the sparring didn't do any good!

I still feel it's rediculous to label playing games as a disorder!

DeletedUser

True ^ ^ and the sparring didn't do any good!

I still feel it's rediculous to label playing games as a disorder!

They're actually not labeling the playing of games as a disorder, though.

The new classification is not saying that all video game playing is a mental health disorder, but rather that excessive gaming over a period of time can lead to diagnosis and treatment.

And with that, I'm out. ;)

DeletedUser5800

How could anyone even compare the choice of playing a game
You are confusing the choice, you present it as a choice between playing a game or living your life when in fact it may well be a choice between playing a game or ending your life. That is the extreme we are talking about, when the game feels like the only thing left, the only thing a person is capable of, the only thing between them and the ground. Yes, that is linked with depression and yes there are choices being made, but not to play or do something better, to play or do something worse.

There is also an entire generation now being affected by the choices of their parents, they have had a tablet in their hand since they were five and never even learned there was a choice, it's all they have known. I'm sure also there is an overlap, a parent in group one that raises a child in group two.

There are always choices being made, but the persons ability to do the math you do is never certain and you can never know their math. I watched a seemingly happy small business owner start Everquest back in the day and it quickly ended up with his business closed, multiple employees out of work, tenants evicted from the apartments over the business and him in massive legal trouble for bank fraud. That seems like some bad choices for sure, but he couldn't even see it, we tried talking to him, he watched his best friend walk away, he read the letters from the building owner that the whole thing was about to get shut down, went to court and listened to the judge. None of it mattered. He just kept doing 72 hr runs while his health failed and his world fell apart around him. This was an ex-marine that had been a perfect example of what a person should strive to be up until that point. I still don't understand it but I would imagine there was something deeper than love of the game at play. PTSD, whatever, something about the game became more real than reality and that is nearly impossible to break once it happens. I know a little about that first hand.

The point is, we can never know, so judgment is never a good idea. Holding others to your own math will never work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.