• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

0-1 Star Trade Warning

elvenbee

When posting a 0 or 1 star trade, have a pop-up warning that requires the player to confirm they want to post 0-1 star trades.

I'm editing this to add more clarification after seeing people's responses.

It could be an option that players can turn off. This wouldn't be for veterans, like the ones commenting in the forums. This is geared towards newer players who don't understand how trading works, so they can catch their mistakes before it's too late.

Last edited:

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
If they post a zero star or any star… why would you need a warning when you can delete it if it was in deed an error, or ignore it if your lookin to trade ?
Its really easy to watch what you are doing .
It’s a trade , you except it or move on to the next .
LOL That’s like walkin into Nordstorms and seeing a sign “ Warning our prices are higher then everyone else’s, you should go down the street it’s cheaper “
People are gonna do what they want , if they want something bad enough the price means nothing.
Some things are common knowledge where you have to think for yourself, worry bout yourself and not what others do .

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
I am a newbie and I did "0 star trades" in the beginning (at the suggestion of my Archmage). No one should get mad. They can just pass over them. I feel it helps people grow their city, when getting stuck and out of coins might make them quit.

000000000peace-.jpg

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I am a newbie and I did "0 star trades" in the beginning (at the suggestion of my Archmage). No one should get mad. They can just pass over them. I feel it helps people grow their city, when getting stuck and out of coins might make them quit.

View attachment 14516
No one would get mad in a perfect world. We do not live in a perfect world.
  • The interface suddenly rearranges trades as your stock levels change.
  • Mind-numbing activities become mind-numbing and numb our minds until we suddenly realize what we're doing is not what we thought we were doing.
  • People get old and our fingers don't always do what we want them to do.
  • Mice can suddenly move unexpectedly resulting in a click completing other than where it started.

Why not the other way around? A warning if you take that trade, so you can't missclick accidently. But give players the option to deactivate the warning.
We've been trying since shortly after trading began to get them to let us do something to block bad trades from our view and their complete lack of interest in the idea makes it pretty clear they refuse to act on it, but if you want to propose such a setting, I'm sure you'll get lots of votes for it. Assuming they let it come to a vote.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If they post a zero star or any star… why would you need a warning when you can delete it if it was in deed an error,
Sometiems they don't realize they've done it and are embarrassed. Possibly after getting an email from their archmage becasue their group forbids doing it.
As indicated elsewhere, there are plenty of problems with that assumption. Human beings are imperfect nad do things we didn't intend to all the time.
LOL That’s like walkin into Nordstorms and seeing a sign “ Warning our prices are higher then everyone else’s, you should go down the street it’s cheaper “
That's an utterly ridiculous statement, the two are not remotely similar.
Some things are common knowledge where you have to think for yourself, worry bout yourself and not what others do .
So realistically, a person could ignore all the threads about people who want to talk about problems with zero-star trades instead of complaining about them not having a good reason to complain about them when they could just ignore them?

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
@Ashrem , you are entitled to your opinions, just as I am entitled to mine .
As to your other questions , sorry no answer … I don’t argue , I don’t debate , I don’t dissect peoples sentences , so as you can see we are very different, with very different opinions. That’s enough for me to accept and move forward.

elvenbee

Sometiems they don't realize they've done it and are embarrassed. Possibly after getting an email from their archmage becasue their group forbids doing it.

As indicated elsewhere, there are plenty of problems with that assumption. Human beings are imperfect nad do things we didn't intend to all the time.

That's an utterly ridiculous statement, the two are not remotely similar.

So realistically, a person could ignore all the threads about people who want to talk about problems with zero-star trades instead of complaining about them not having a good reason to complain about them when they could just ignore them?
Thank you! We do not allow players to do 0-1 star trades in our FS (without prior approval from the AM or Mage, as we will help you when needed) and all of our players know this when they join. A player made several mistakes in their trades, which resulted in the 0-1 star trades (the opposite of what they were intending) and didn't realize it until someone said something. For newer players, it might help them better understand how trading works. We get a lot of new players that don't understand how it works and we have to explain it.

An option to turn it off would be great, but it is definitely could be a beneficial tool for newer players, not necessarily veteran players like the ones in the forum commenting. :)

elvenbee

View attachment 14516

Our FS is different, as we don't allow 0-1 Star Trades without prior approval from, the AM or a Mage (we will work with you to get the resources you need), but it's not about getting mad or people passing over them. We get several new players who need trading explained to them and how it works. For those newer players, it would be beneficial in helping them ensure they don't make a mistake because we're human and they might not catch it right away.

elvenbee

If they post a zero star or any star… why would you need a warning when you can delete it if it was in deed an error, or ignore it if your lookin to trade ?
Its really easy to watch what you are doing .
People are gonna do what they want , if they want something bad enough the price means nothing.

Because we are human and we make mistakes, sometimes not realizing our mistake until it is too late. This is for newer players, not veterans in the forums.

You *accept* it or move on.

Your example doesn't make any sense at all.

No need to be rude.

Alram

Flippers just flip
The trader already autofills a trade at 2 stars. Players have to manually adjust the amount to make it something other than 2 stars. I'm not sure a popup would aid new players.

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
Our FS is different, as we don't allow 0-1 Star Trades without prior approval from, the AM or a Mage (we will work with you to get the resources you need), but it's not about getting mad or people passing over them. We get several new players who need trading explained to them and how it works. For those newer players, it would be beneficial in helping them ensure they don't make a mistake because we're human and they might not catch it right away.
elvenbee, I was drawing from something someone else said earlier in this post. I wouldn't have said it otherwise. "My fellowship" has been very helpful. I cherish all of them.

000000000peace-.jpg

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
Because we are human and we make mistakes, sometimes not realizing our mistake until it is too late. This is for newer players, not veterans in the forums.

You *accept* it or move on.

Your example doesn't make any sense at all.

No need to be rude.
May I just say, you are the one who appears to be rude. Muffy has been around a long time and they know what they're talking about. I have always found them very amenable, funny and tremendously helpful.

000000000peace-.jpg

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
May I just say, you are the one who appears to be rude. Muffy has been around a long and they know what they're talking about. I have always found them very amenable, funny and tremendously helpful.

View attachment 14518
Hi Fairy, just fyi, both Ashrem and Muffy have been around a long time, with Ashrem the longest (he was a veteran of the board when I got here in 2019). But that's unimportant; they're both very helpful, experienced posters and I respect both.

The key issue here is that when you're new, you don't want to get a reputation in the neighborhood as being a bad trader. Believe me, I have seen players who refuse to do any trades with a player who has posted zero stars in the past (even when that player later posts 2 star). They just get mad at a player and shut them out forever ... some even going so far as to not return visits. It may seem crazy, but this is a very sore spot with many players.

The reason it is a sore spot is because most long-term players have clicked a trade accidentally, resulting in a few swear words under their breaths and a few good kicks under the table. It's human nature that people misclick. But they usually don't remember it as "their" mistake. They usually remember "your' name, and how they just never want to deal with you ever again. You can lose a lot of future help, and future friendships, by starting out routinely doing zero or one star trades (and believe me, I'm not saying you do! This is just info.) It's just not worth a bad reputation that carries into the future. When I started out, I learned that the best way to get ahead was to overproduce my boosts and then sell them at a small discount for whatever I needed (3 star trades). I never ran out of goods, ever, and my neighbors never got mad at me. They even sent messages telling me when their wonder needs just one or two kp to finish, so I wound up with a ton of friends pretty quickly, and never wanted for trades or visits.

Now that said, I also believe that some newer players need a bit of extra help, particularly when they need it in order to help the team in tournament or spire. I'm all for giving them that help in those circumstances. But in my fellowship, we have a rule that it must be prearranged with a buyer standing by, and the trade must be cleared from the trader within five minutes, in order to avoid misclicks by our team members, who are a great and helpful bunch but don't expect unfair trades among their team members. They sometimes click just to help, and then realize later they got an unfair trade. So the 5-minute rule works for us. If a buyer is right there, as they must be, then 5 minutes is plenty of time.

I encourage you to prearrange all of your trades ... that way, it's virtually impossible for someone to misclick that quickly, and your reputation in the neighborhood remains gold. Good luck in all you do!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Interesting note. On browser, we used to get a message warning us that a trade was less than 2-star, but now that warning message is gone. I have no idea when it was removed, but the last time I remember seeing it was when the trade system still used the 1:4:16 ratio. I wonder if it was removed when that was changed to 1:1.5:2.25?

@Villanesque is there any way this can be confirmed?

defiantoneks

i understand the gist and desire of the OP… but as I am sure so many people have said, "fair" is every person's concern.

what I DO think could be helpful, at least from my experience, is to make the mobile version and the desktop version to "act" the same. Specifically the direction that the window seems to scroll. On mobile it goes backward from what desktop does. So if you're trying to grab stuff and quickly take trades, you KNOW what you want and what you're seeing but once a trade is accepted the list goes the wrong way, and you end up clicking something below what you wanted.

StarLoad

It could be an option that players can turn off. This wouldn't be for veterans, like the ones commenting in the forums. This is geared towards newer players who don't understand how trading works, so they can catch their mistakes before it's too late.
I still think it's the wrong approach, besides 0-1 star trades by players in chapters 1-3 the real new ones are almost a necessity to get the goods needed to build and upgrade. I take them from players all the time, 50 Planks for 200 Marble can make a big impact on low-level players.

Ed