• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

A Place to Discuss Orcs & Gobblins

DeletedUser1901

"Orcs are big, strong, dull and aggressive with only three things on their mind: fighting, power and food! On the other hand, Goblins are malicious and mischievous and their full purpose is cultivating mysterious mushrooms they can do genius experiments with, to later use on ... the Orcs!"

I have been fantasy gaming for 20 years - RPG's, table top, board and card... you name it and I've either played it, wanted to play it or watched it get played. I'm also an avid fantasy reader and movie fanatic... so here is my not so eloquent 2 cents...

Inno did a perfect job with the Orc and Goblin race over all... You may have heard of that little book by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit. Or how about that other small work by Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings that was published between 1954 and 1955... Maybe you have heard of that world renowned table top game Warhammer or maybe even the RPG that has been around since 1974, Dungeons & Dragons... Google any of them and learn about Orcs and Goblins... they love shrooms, food, and fighting (a lot of times as mercenaries because they love gold too)!

I feel that a lot of this negativity is coming from people that are disappointed or unhappy with the new content and are reading into something that just isn't there. I feel that a lot of players don't speak up for fear of getting attacked, made to feel like idiots or perhaps it even affecting their standing in their fellowships. I certainly can't quote statistics or self help books...

Most of my fellowship members are looking forward to something more earthy and masculine after the frilly, colorful fairy chapter. I only have a couple that are not so pleased about it yet (1 has left out of 25) but they want to see what comes next. Those couple of players that are not so pleased are very open as to why they are not so happy about it... they are frilly chicks that love fairies, flowers and bright colors!

Most of us are in Dwarves and we have a few that have started/finishing Fairies. We know there are some imbalances and hope that Inno works to improve those. But we are also looking forward to the new challenges.

I've seen so much negativity in the forums that I wanted to speak a little for the other side... thank you for listening for all it's worth lol

DeletedUser1016

they are frilly chicks that love fairies, flowers and bright colors!
........lol.........."careful when stereotyping " ;)

I've seen so much negativity in the forums that I wanted to speak a little for the other side... thank you for listening for all it's worth lol
....I'm totally on board with you on this. I love fantasy gaming and I have the same history/background as yourself with J.R.R Tolkien, D&D, etc and have great appreciation for what the Innogame developers have created here with this current Orc/Goblins chapter. Nonetheless, it's still a such significant departure from what they've done beforehand - not just it's subject, but even the graphics - I just don't think it lives up to their abilities.

DeletedUser1901

........lol.........."careful when stereotyping " ;)

Their words during our discussions, not mine and I actually fit this bill at times too :) I certainly don't want to offend! :oops: It's been a long, long while since I've participated in forum discussions... my manors are a little rusty lol

Nonetheless, it's still a such significant departure from what they've done beforehand - not just it's subject, but even the graphics - I just don't think it lives up to their abilities.

I can see this point as well. When I look at the graphics, what I see is that they tried to add color and an air of friendliness to them rather than the dark, dank, dirty orc/goblin visuals I'm accustomed to seeing being associated with the race. Maybe what we are seeing with this is a lack of a full commitment on the developers part because they were trying to ride that fine line of keeping everyone happy while trying to explore this race and how they would effect our cities? We don't know what the plans are that are already in the works, maybe they were board and wanted to take the game in a different direction... Maybe they just wanted to do something different than other games out there... Hard to tell what the Dev Gods are up to! ;)

DeletedUser43

The coolest thing about the orcs is watching them walk around the city! They are pretty cool looking. Someone said somewhere that the orcs could just be fans of mushrooms as a food delicacy. That would have made a much better story. :)

I just wish they hadn't put such a roadblock in front of the people who wanted to negotiate provinces. That is causing a lot of people to quit and they are taking other people with them.

DeletedUser1016

I just wish they hadn't put such a roadblock in front of the people who wanted to negotiate provinces. That is causing a lot of people to quit and they are taking other people with them.

I agree - such a significant change in game strategy [requiring orcs to negotiate] - on top of dung, slaves, pychoshrooms & questionable graphics really "blind sided" lots of players, especially long time players that got use to playing & seeing the game in a certain way...

Well - the InnoGame developers certainly got an earful because of it....!!!

DeletedUser43

I feel that a lot of players don't speak up for fear of getting attacked, made to feel like idiots or perhaps it even affecting their standing in their fellowships.

Every opinion is welcome here! It is great to see people who are happy with stuff! :)

DeletedUser627

Now I've heard it all. Someone who claims to be a Tolkien reader who likes an Orc city?

No Tolkien Human or Elf would ever traffic in Orcs. They would not feed them, drug them, nor collaborate with them. Orcs would be slaughtered and burned, because anything touched by an Orc is tainted. They are incapable of "helping". If we were Tolkien Elves or humans and engaged in Orc interactions, we'd be servants aiding Saruman's breeding, or perhaps working with Morgoth. This would mean we were traitors - despicable and lacking in both character and nobility.

Any Orc structure - abhorrent and revolting by nature and inhabitant - would be burned to the ground and the site then abandoned for millennia.

I'm not conversant with other uses of Orcs in game lore - and am not opposed to the varying concepts developed from the Norse origination of "orc". Yet it stands that making equivalencies between Elvenar and Tolkien is a philosophical sacrilege and a blatant literary error. On a Peter Jackson scale.

DeletedUser1901

Now I've heard it all. Someone who claims to be a Tolkien reader who likes an Orc city?

Perhaps I just understand the *sigh* basic concepts - light/dark, sinner/saint, positive/negative, yin/yang...

No Tolkien Human or Elf would ever traffic in Orcs. They would not feed them, drug them, nor collaborate with them. Orcs would be slaughtered and burned, because anything touched by an Orc is tainted. They are incapable of "helping". If we were Tolkien Elves or humans and engaged in Orc interactions, we'd be servants aiding Saruman's breeding, or perhaps working with Morgoth. This would mean we were traitors - despicable and lacking in both character and nobility.

It's a good thing then that we are not Tolkien Humans or Elves but Inno Humans and Elves. Whew! That was a close call... I thought for a moment there I was going to get into big trouble!

If you read for content you would notice that I was not cheering for trafficking in Orcs... I'm just noting that what the devs did with the orcs are pretty much in line with how they appear in the fantasy realms overall, and have appeared in those realms for longer than I have been alive... but, yes, I do look forward to change and challenges in the game. And this is a BIG note here so please do pay attention... it's a GAME - fantasy games have orcs and other dark, nasty, not so nice creatures...

Have a nice day and happy gaming!

DeletedUser61

it's a GAME - fantasy games have orcs and other dark, nasty, not so nice creatures...
You haven't been to the office lately, huh, nor attended an academic conference?

In a virtual world we can be who we might have been, but truth is always stranger than fiction and usually far more boring.

GetPaidhubris.png

qaccy

My gosh, 2016 is certainly in full effect in this thread. I got absolutely zero inkling of the sentiments expressed in this thread from my fellowship on A world, and I'm enjoying the new chapter as much as I have all the others. My secret to actually enjoying the game is that I don't scrutinize every addition to the game in an attempt to vilify the developers and instead I just have fun with it instead. Some of you folks should try it!

DeletedUser43

Gosh qaccy, that comment really hurt. All I have been trying to do is to help people who are harmed because they can't do any more research with the new orc limitation even though it doesn't affect me. And with the slavery stuff, I have spoken up because so many have been hurt so much because of these concepts and are still being hurt. I don't want anyone harmed even tangentially. All I have wanted to do is protect people and the only reason I have gone and on about it is because no one seems to care if others are hurt and they won't even change a sentence or two to fix it. My comments haven't been about vilifying anyone, they have just been to protect people.

DeletedUser1016

Gosh qaccy, that comment really hurt.
Bobbykitty - your opinions and comments about the game are all valid, just as qaccy's are....what's not justified is the judging of others, by other ....From what I've witness, and keep in mind I've not read every post here in the forum, is that you've done a good job to focus your criticism on the game and it's function...or better yet, dysfunction; and if that sometimes involves the developers of the game then so be it. I do respect that....

Some of you folks should try it!
This is clearly an implied judgement of other players....No one really has to go there...it's best to keep comments about the game, not about the players...."I'm enjoying the new chapter as much as I have all the others...." would have sufficed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser627

My gosh, 2016 is certainly in full effect in this thread. I got absolutely zero inkling of the sentiments expressed in this thread from my fellowship on A world, and I'm enjoying the new chapter as much as I have all the others. My secret to actually enjoying the game is that I don't scrutinize every addition to the game in an attempt to vilify the developers and instead I just have fun with it instead. Some of you folks should try it!

We're in the same fellowship. I don't participate in chat, but I do read it...including the not-so-happy-with-orcs comments. Can't blame you for missing it, though...our chat is more often lengthy personal convos. When our players visit their other fellowships though...they're more likely to speak about their feelings re the game.

DeletedUser1208

I have both elven and Human worlds. In the elven world you get 300 population when upgrading house to lv 21. In human you get 175. When you sell a elven house you lose 550 pop. Human it's 680 pop. You have to sell houses to make room for upgrading to orc houses. So with my 70 house. I"m screwed in my human world when it comes to upgrading you houses. What do sell to make space? AW"s? Goods? Can't sell Workshops you need supplies like it was the air you breath now. Armories? Can't sell them either. You have to make Orcs to sell them off for things. You got 10 expansions. Great. Orc stuff takes up at least 3 of them. You get 4 expansion in the research tree. Nice. Take you forever to get to them. Now you got to get your expansions form the map. No problem. Scout will hit every tavern and brothel along the way when he scouts for 2+days. Need 11 provinces for 1 expansions. Looks like your just screwed on getting more population. What a great chapter this is for the human world. Already had one foot walking away from the game. Now I'm pushing the door open.

DeletedUser2753

You only need pop for your armory upgrades at as I remember 250 for the first lvl up, the next is 110 and 100 for each workshop upgrade. Do as few res upgrades to orc as needed, at 300 each you only need to do 6 -- say 3 armories x 250 + in my case 10 wkshps x 100 or 1750 total. With 6 res upgrades in Human you need an extra 2 sq each for the res. and 2 for the armories so that is only 18 sq., less than a 25 sq expansion. The real issue is not population but space. The orcs need tons off land for the portal, 20+mushrooms, paths and rally points are huge 5x7, this will eat your city alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser627

I don't know about upgraded levels, but at level 1 I have 14 mushrooms trying to keep up with one rally point...and my inventory isn't growing. Given that everyone seems to be recommending 7:1 ratio, I assume this changes...but in early Orcs, two rallies would result in one sitting useless.

DeletedUser43

I disagree. If set my shroom farms to make psychos and the next day I want to make some orc poop, I would need more than one rally point with 14 farms. That would be 1400 psychos and it only takes 280 to make poop in 5 hours. With only one RP, you wouldn't be able to make that much poo. Of course it also depends on how long you stay online. No matter what you do, it is long long long.

You pretty much have three choices...either buy your way through the tech tree, or if you are doing it the hard way, you will need to delete half your city for shroom farms. The third choice is to be in the orcs for months and months.

DeletedUser1010

Those couple of players that are not so pleased are very open as to why they are not so happy about it... they are frilly chicks that love fairies, flowers and bright colors!
Hey!!! I am a chic that loves Fantasy not just about the frilly frilly!!!, I play D&D, Magic, I read Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, LOTR..ect I mean my name is Catti-Brie! and in forgotten realms there was a Orc city and it didn't go so well for the dwarfs, elfs or humans there either lol!!! :p

Most of my fellowship members are looking forward to something more earthy and masculine after the frilly, colorful fairy chapter. I only have a couple that are not so pleased about it yet (1 has left out of 25)
Honestly though, the fact that any are leaving is a sign that something is wrong here, my fellowship has lost quite a bit too! The fairies nor the dwarfs have had this kinda impact on players leaving, so we have to ask why is the Orcs causing ppl to leave when the guess races before them did not(well at least not that I seen or not as many to be so noticeable like it is now! I have been wondering this vary thought:)

DeletedUser627

I disagree. If set my shroom farms to make psychos and the next day I want to make some orc poop, I would need more than one rally point with 14 farms. That would be 1400 psychos and it only takes 280 to make poop in 5 hours. With only one RP, you wouldn't be able to make that much poo. Of course it also depends on how long you stay online. No matter what you do, it is long long long.

You pretty much have three choices...either buy your way through the tech tree, or if you are doing it the hard way, you will need to delete half your city for shroom farms. The third choice is to be in the orcs for months and months.

LOL. You're ahead of me. I haven't even thought about being able to make dung...I'm still trying to make enough debris to upgrade the shrooms so I can't even start to make some dung to make some wisdom...