• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Advice/Opinions About AW/Culture

DeletedUser2207

I suspect you mean better than the Thrones, and I agree. Unless you are chasing rank/score, the thrones strikes me as waste of space.
Ah, that was awkward wording. I meant that by the time I have enough AW levels to make a lvl 6 Thrones match culture/square with a Café Masquerade, I'll be in a different chapter and there will be a new and better culture item that would require even more AW levels to match

The culture on this AW doesn't really scale well, it's just a bonus extra to the rank points

Mykan

Oh Wise One
The other thing to consider is all the KP needed to make a level 6 thrones, could it be used more effectively invested into another wonder?

I just can't see myself even thinking about it until I have every other wonder level 10+ if not 16+ due to wonder levels and just a general sense of better "bang for buck".

DeletedUser9601

One slightly more minor concern/consideration as well: I like having the Thrones in my back pocket for when I need to waste "useless" runes to fill the shard wheel with broken shards for an AW I actually want.

Since Thrones comes pretty early in the tech tree, I find I have a lot of Thrones runes (29 right now). So if the 15 Dragon Abbey runes aren't enough for me to build it when I unlock the tech in a week or so, I'll be using Thrones to fill out a few more runes by forging broken shards.

Everyone has their idea of "bad" wonders (Enar's Embassy, Thrones, nerfed Crystal Lighthouse) that I think its important to keep unbuilt for rune-breaking purposes.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Everyone has their idea of "bad" wonders (Enar's Embassy, Thrones, nerfed Crystal Lighthouse) that I think its important to keep unbuilt for rune-breaking purposes.
Very good point. If you build every wonder, then which ones you can build and level to 6/11/16 etc is largely out of your control. Getting runes from helping wonders gives you some control, but really it's pretty minor compared to tournament runes and smashing them.
For me I'm not building the LH, WT, Maze, Thrones, or Sunset Towers.
LH-> I can't be bothered to get chests, and I don't have any problem reaching 170% culture even with zero visits
WT-> Again, I don't need more culture
Maze->Once this is unlocked the first 2 mana chapters are already gone, and the Dragon Abbey is far superior for my playstyle
Thrones-> I don't care about rank, and I don't have enough AW levels to get much out if it if I did
Sunset Towers->Again, I can't be bothered to get chests. If something changes and the browser/mobile gets fast visits which include chests, maybe I'll add it.

Last edited:

HJK84

The other thing to consider is all the KP needed to make a level 6 thrones, could it be used more effectively invested into another wonder?

I just can't see myself even thinking about it until I have every other wonder level 10+ if not 16+ due to wonder levels and just a general sense of better "bang for buck".

Ah yes. I did forget about the investment of the Kp. It sure is a big deal, it's a few hundred going into it... :oops:

Very good point. If you build every wonder, then which ones you can build and level to 6/11/16 etc is largely out of your control. Getting runes from helping wonders gives you some control, but really it's pretty minor compared to tournament runes and smashing them.
For me I'm not building the LH, WT, Maze, Thrones, or Sunset Towers.
LH-> I can't be bothered to get chests, and I don't have any problem reaching 170% culture even with zero visits
WT-> Again, I don't need more culture
Maze->Once this is unlocked the first 2 mana chapters are already gone, and the Dragon Abbey is far superior for my playstyle
Thrones-> I don't care about rank, and I don't have enough AW levels to get much out if it if I did
Sunset Towers->Again, I can't be bothered to get chests. If something changes and the browser/mobile gets fast visits which include chests, maybe I'll add it.

Yes, I started debating last night, if I should add a WT. I don't need the Culture, and it's not something I care for. I was thinking of replacing a Event Building with the WT. Cause I think eventually I might need it... but unsure...

SoggyShorts

. I was thinking of replacing a Event Building with the WT. Cause I think eventually I might need it... but unsure...
I wouldn't build it for that reason personally.
To put enough KP into the WT so that it remains relevant compared to other culture buildings as you unlock them is very expensive, and KP is better spent on wonders that help you now. (imnsho)

The WT culture comes from your required culture, so if you have a massive number of factories (like 7 of each) then maybe it makes sense to have a level 6 WT giving you 12% of your required culture. If you have a more "average" sized city the benefit is much lower.

With a max military and 2:2:2:2 build
I need just under 95K culture, 150K for 170% boost.
A level 1 WT would give me 5600, or 280 per square.(255 counting the needed road)
The cafe Masq would give me 6500, or 433 per square, and doesn't need a road.
To get the same culture per square I would need a level 5 WT which would cost 998 KP

That's just comparing it to a free building.
If I compared it to a couple of burning eggs, I'd need a level 10 WT costing me 3,000 KP:eek:

When I look at the truly great wonders that allow me to get otherwise impossible things (like troop HP or damage) there's no chance I'd spend that kind of KP on the WT

Note: A player on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum using the full map grid with 7 of each factory would be getting 1143 per square from a level 10 WT. Which sounds like a lot, but is actually pretty close to a nice event building with a buff on it (like the ice troll)

Deleted User - 1599294

Interesting discussion, what are you considering as an average city (and I understand this may differ by server)? I play on Sinya Arda, am smack in the middle of Orcs and reading up on prep for Woodelves. Most of the cultural buildings I have are related to population, or are event set pieces. I have seen references to Mykan's theory of an all AW city and like it but most of my AW's are still lower level (2-3) as I like to keep balance :). When I get to Woodelves I am going to have make hard choices on what to delete to make room for Mana buildings. I've been planning on deleting culture but are you suggesting I might want to delete some AW's?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
There's no right or wrong answer. It's going to depend on your play style. Some people advocate crashing your regular city to make room for orcs, including getting rid of all culture bonus and going negative population, because the guest race doesn't need it, so it allows for more space to do the orcs faster. Others are perfectly happy staying positive with their city and making the smallest possible orc-town and going through it slowly. Frankly, the same can be done for several of the guest races, depending on your goals. If speeding through the tech tree pleases you, then you want to devote as much space to the orcs as you can squeeze out. You might find it worthwhile to slow to a crawl in the tech tree and level AWs for a few months while exploring to get extra expansions (overexploring is expensive on negotiating and makes fighting tough, but has no other real downside). I've spent over six months in the first few techs of Woodelves, while tourneying hard and leveling my AWs. I could have been finished Sorcers and Dragons by now, and maybe even Halflings if I didn't do that, but the casual pace has been welcome, and it's let me do some excellent tournament results, including being in the top 100 frequently and breaking 8000 points a few weeks ago.

If you like lots of ancient wonders, they can be a useful and powerful addition to the city, but you might need to go slow for a few months. The game is pretty flexible.

HJK84

I wouldn't build it for that reason personally.
To put enough KP into the WT so that it remains relevant compared to other culture buildings as you unlock them is very expensive, and KP is better spent on wonders that help you now. (imnsho)

The WT culture comes from your required culture, so if you have a massive number of factories (like 7 of each) then maybe it makes sense to have a level 6 WT giving you 12% of your required culture. If you have a more "average" sized city the benefit is much lower.

With a max military and 2:2:2:2 build
I need just under 95K culture, 150K for 170% boost.
A level 1 WT would give me 5600, or 280 per square.(255 counting the needed road)
The cafe Masq would give me 6500, or 433 per square, and doesn't need a road.
To get the same culture per square I would need a level 5 WT which would cost 998 KP

That's just comparing it to a free building.
If I compared it to a couple of burning eggs, I'd need a level 10 WT costing me 3,000 KP:eek:

When I look at the truly great wonders that allow me to get otherwise impossible things (like troop HP or damage) there's no chance I'd spend that kind of KP on the WT

Note: A player on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum using the full map grid with 7 of each factory would be getting 1143 per square from a level 10 WT. Which sounds like a lot, but is actually pretty close to a nice event building with a buff on it (like the ice troll)

Makes sense. I'm half half city. 60/60/40, might drop to 40/40/40 one day.

Interesting discussion, what are you considering as an average city (and I understand this may differ by server)? I play on Sinya Arda, am smack in the middle of Orcs and reading up on prep for Woodelves. Most of the cultural buildings I have are related to population, or are event set pieces. I have seen references to Mykan's theory of an all AW city and like it but most of my AW's are still lower level (2-3) as I like to keep balance :). When I get to Woodelves I am going to have make hard choices on what to delete to make room for Mana buildings. I've been planning on deleting culture but are you suggesting I might want to delete some AW's?

I don't think different servers means you have to build a different city o_O

There's no right or wrong answer. It's going to depend on your play style. Some people advocate crashing your regular city to make room for orcs, including getting rid of all culture bonus and going negative population, because the guest race doesn't need it, so it allows for more space to do the orcs faster. Others are perfectly happy staying positive with their city and making the smallest possible orc-town and going through it slowly. Frankly, the same can be done for several of the guest races, depending on your goals. If speeding through the tech tree pleases you, then you want to devote as much space to the orcs as you can squeeze out. You might find it worthwhile to slow to a crawl in the tech tree and level AWs for a few months while exploring to get extra expansions (overexploring is expensive on negotiating and makes fighting tough, but has no other real downside). I've spent over six months in the first few techs of Woodelves, while tourneying hard and leveling my AWs. I could have been finished Sorcers and Dragons by now, and maybe even Halflings if I didn't do that, but the casual pace has been welcome, and it's let me do some excellent tournament results, including being in the top 100 frequently and breaking 8000 points a few weeks ago.

If you like lots of ancient wonders, they can be a useful and powerful addition to the city, but you might need to go slow for a few months. The game is pretty flexible.

Slow and steady is my moto, as I've said before.
I've been here since October, and I've spent some $. Yet, I just unlocked chapt 6, but not building the settlement stuff.
I'm at 20 lvls into AW's. Friends in FS are like... James' is going to be lvl 25 AW's before he gets to chapt 12, jokes.
And in the same boat as Ashrem, top 100 in tournies since I began :)

SoggyShorts

Interesting discussion, what are you considering as an average city
I checked out your city, and imo 4 steel, 3 scrolls, and 3 dust is "average"... or perhaps "normal" would be a better word.
If you didn't have the military buildings that you have, then 1 more of each factory might be expected.
are you suggesting I might want to delete some AW's?
This is a tough question. Like @Ashrem said there are a lot of ways to go about it. The first city I took through woodelves didn't have enough mana, so I found myself getting techlocked for the first time, and I didn't like it. If you want to progress through woodelves at a faster pace, it means having more mana buildings, which automatically means you will have lots of culture. This would devalue your WT and LH.
For the second city I took through CH9 I deleted my LH&WT right away, had 15 weeping willows (event buildings didn't give mana back then) and was still sitting at 170% culture bonus with zero visits for the entire chapter.

It is worth noting that Halflings hadn't been released back then, so I didn't know about divine seeds being based off of AW levels, so I was slowed down in that chapter due to lack of AW contributions. This may be less of an issue with getting bonus KP from the FA, FS tournaments now giving 80-130% more FS KP rewards, and AW soon giving 80% more KP rewards as well (starting sometime next week )

If you are into the city layout aspect of the game, I recommend looking at your city here(LINK) Click the "View city in Elvenarchitect"
Once you've loaded your city in, try adding a couple of expansions that you will be getting, and then upgrading everything to what you want to finish chapter 9 with and working backwards from there.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I am yet to fully focus on my watchtower but I see it as a space saver. i have focused on my monastery and it now gives me 24% (think thats it, level 16) and I am finding it is changing how I choose the culture buildings in my city. I have even been deleting a lot of culture buildings as they are now redundant and the culture from the wonder grows as I continue to grow.

Between watchtower, monastery and dragon abbey my need for culture and the associated mana changes, a lot. I can then use that space for more military, factory, spare lvl 1 buildings for FA/events or just for "pretty". If you are doing tournaments quite regularly you should start to find a level 6 wonder really isn't a big deal to achieve, should get even easier soon due to recent/upcoming changes.