• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Allow Us to Trade Relics

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
This suggestion will never get seen by anyone other than the players who visit the forum and the volunteer moderators unless it is presented in the required format found in the Ideas and Suggestions Forum Guide
the programmers are all-powerful! I'm sure they'll find a way to make this work. :)
While that may be true, I'd much rather they spend their limited time on a myriad of other ideas/suggestions that would make the game more interesting. If this idea gets fleshed out in the proper format for the mods to set up a poll presented in the fashion the rules in the above guide have outlined, I have still not been convinced to cast a vote in favor.

Kitani

This suggestion will never get seen by anyone other than the players who visit the forum and the volunteer moderators unless it is presented in the required format found in the Ideas and Suggestions Forum Guide

While that may be true, I'd much rather they spend their limited time on a myriad of other ideas/suggestions that would make the game more interesting. If this idea gets fleshed out in the proper format for the mods to set up a poll presented in the fashion the rules in the above guide have outlined, I have still not been convinced to cast a vote in favor.
I'm aware of the need to ask for a poll, but I wanted to get some player input before doing that.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm aware of the need to ask for a poll, but I wanted to get some player input before doing that.
That's absolutely understandable, and perhaps I am misreading 'tone' in your written posts. You are getting a bunch of player input that addresses this requirement outlined in the Guidelines:
Downsides / Cons: Include why your idea may negatively affect the game or the players. Will it require extreme implementation effort? What is a workaround, if any?
I got the impression from your posts that you are discounting the input on this requirement. Before the mods will allow the suggestion to go to a poll, you will need to go back to the original post and edit it so that it includes all the required components including downsides. An idea that ignores potential exploits by players absolutely will not be taken seriously and the mods are not going to forward it to the devs under those conditions.
Perhaps you're not aware, but this is a primarily player driven forum with volunteer moderators. For years, there was no path to the devs from this forum. Beta forum was the only forum with a path. Here, we were all just tossing around stuff with each other that no one with the power to implement ever even looked at. This has only been a possibility since March 2020. Our dedicated volunteer moderators worked really hard to get Inno staff to agree to even look at a suggestion from here. The requirements listed in that Guidelines post are the requirements the devs set up. Once an idea has been fully fleshed out to comply with all their restrictions and reached a vote level where it can be forwarded, the only thing they will look at is the original post. They won't look at any of the discussion. They also will not respond to us with any thoughts they may have on these ideas; it is strictly a one-way path of communication. On the rare occasion the mods hear anything back, they let us know, but so far that has been "not what you wanted to hear, but..." It's far from an ideal situation for us, but most of us are just thankful there's any path to get ideas seen at all.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm not a fan of this suggestion and I will explain why.

I have been playing this game a long time. Yes, I'm irritated as a badger walking across a sun-baked limestone ledge when I can't make my Combining Catalysts HOWEVER.....relics are not a commodity ... they are meant to be 'special'. I am more a fan of trading spells and buildings. Such as trading PoP's for CC's. Orc nests for winter shrines ... but maybe just within a fellowship. It would be a way to help new cities grow. But not relics. I can't see it being a viable solution.

Maybe the wholesaler could 'sell' relics... but again.... when I run out of scroll/steel/magic dust relics to make my CC's... it's my fault for not pushing far harder in those particular tournaments...

Kitani

I'm not a fan of this suggestion and I will explain why.

I have been playing this game a long time. Yes, I'm irritated as a badger walking across a sun-baked limestone ledge when I can't make my Combining Catalysts HOWEVER.....relics are not a commodity ... they are meant to be 'special'. I am more a fan of trading spells and buildings. Such as trading PoP's for CC's. Orc nests for winter shrines ... but maybe just within a fellowship. It would be a way to help new cities grow. But not relics. I can't see it being a viable solution.

Maybe the wholesaler could 'sell' relics... but again.... when I run out of scroll/steel/magic dust relics to make my CC's... it's my fault for not pushing far harder in those particular tournaments...
Thank you for your candid opinion. I appreciate all of you who have taken the time to comment. However, using your logic in this post, we should not be able to trade for goods at all. If we get low on steel, it's our fault for not making more, right? Sorry, but with all respect, I believe that Relics ARE indeed commodities. IMHO, trading spells or buildings would have a lot more complications involved. Trading Relics would be relatively simple, given that players would need a certain amount of training and knowledge to do so. But then, players need training and knowledge for almost every aspect of the game.

Empress Yume

Evening. Here’s what I believe will happen. Less participation in Tournaments. If one is able to trade then what incentive would one have to get through as much as they can to gain rewards which is primarily relics among other items?
If I know I’m running low, relics could be crafted in Magic Academy, reduce the amount of the other items crafted. If I have a decent amount of Instants, then I can pause a bit to maintain my quantities.
Not even certain how one could run out unless they aren’t participating in Tournaments which gives u plenty of rewards if u do enough to gain the relics u need. If u need to do both battles and negotiate to gain the amount of relics needed, then one should do so.
The main issue is that the Chests folks want to reach won’t be gained if folks think they need not bother, making Tournaments obsolete.
Enjoy and happy gaming.

NightshadeCS

If we get low on steel, it's our fault for not making more, right?

There is one large difference in the two. Inno designed the game so that people produce their boosted goods and trade for the rest. They did not do so with relics.

However, I have long thought that the relic situation needed something done about it. When there were fewer enchantments and no crafting, things were much simpler. With the addition of MM and then CC, certain relics (it is different for everyone, also based on boosts) were being used at a much higher rate than others.

I also remember a time when we would see a lot of Forum posts from people begging Inno to give us something to do with all these thousands a relics we had clinking around in our cities, though. They did, and now we have the problem of an imbalance of relics, using 2 or 3 primarily and still with too many of the rest.

I could see perhaps a new element like a trader where you could trade in 5-10 of one relic for 1 of another, something like that. Trading them with other folks, I think there are too many possible drawbacks, as things stand, for that to work well.

Pheryll

Set Designer
I could see perhaps a new element like a trader where you could trade in 5-10 of one relic for 1 of another, something like that. Trading them with other folks, I think there are too many possible drawbacks, as things stand, for that to work well.

Same issue of exploit with this. Depleting a boosted relic is not necessarily a bad idea.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
@Kitani maybe you should just ask for people's opinions when they align with yours. I'm not sure at all that your opinion is in least humble as you discount any response that doesn't agree with yours.

I doubt that they will EVER trade relics ... for the same reason you cannot trade runes.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Manipulating tournment/spire costs was never in my mind. I merely wanted to make it possible to keep the spells going instead of having a 3-6 week dry spell every tournament cycle. I'm sure the programmers can find a way to limit what we could do with our relics. They could allow a limited number to be traded in a given time period. They could limit what the relics could be used for. My dear Pheryll, the programmers are all-powerful! I'm sure they'll find a way to make this work. :)

When I was a lot smaller than I am now I kept running into dry spells too. I'd want to build another residence but had to wait to research another expansion because my city was already too full...no space. The solution was not to try to build faster than I could acquire space. I could, of course, suggested we be allowed to trade expansions. They too are a commodity. But the solution was not in trading expansions but in realizing the limits of what I could produce and staying within the bounds so that I didn't hit "dry spells."

When it comes to relics you know you can play the tournaments and collect some. That's a good thing. If you use them to craft or some other project, you are using your resources for one thing as verses another. That's a choice you make given a limited amount of that resource. The "solution" is not to say, "Please sir, could we have some more?" but to recognize that your city is only capable of producing a certain amount and that you have to go at a pace where that amount is available. It's part of the game to learn the right pace for your abilities.

This is, of course, no different than other goods. I produce steel. I need steel. If I push hard enough I'll run out of steel. I can trade for steel, as you say, but it's my boosted and I don't produce the other stuff in quantities large enough to surmount my need for steel. So I anticipate what I need and try to produce it before I need it. Otherwise I'll just have to endure another "dry spell." That's the nature of the game.

AJ

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Trading of Goods is part of a deliberate mechanic to foster inter-city dependency and social connections because social games are more profitable than solo games. Coins, Supplies, Relics, Rune-shards, Orcs, Mana, and Divine Seeds are pace control mechanisms.

I will ask my standard question: Does it make the game more interesting (i.e., cause players to want to spend more time in it and therefor be more likely to spend more money) or does it only make the game easier? If you can craft as many magic items as you want, so that you no longer need anything, why would you stick around to play the game?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Others do fight, and they can easily take advantage of 0% boost to go much further in the tournament and spire.

In fact caterers can also take advantage of it. If your T1-T3 manufactory production was reduced to 1/8th but your tournament/spire costs were reduced to 1/7th would you be better off? Your event buildings that produce goods would be unaffected. Your sentient production that decayed into normal goods would be unaffected. All you would be doing is dropping all your boosted relics for T1-T3 and trading them for other relics including those for making spells and those for boosting your sentient production. I think that you would be able to benefit better with a zero boost instead of a full boost to T1-T3 manufactory production.

If you are right about the negotiation costs dropping to 1/7th is you drop your relics to 0 then why not just spend all the relics you have and get it down to 0 ASAP in the first place? Of course, producing 1/8th of your boosted mfrs may make gathering the needed resources for research and quests a bit tedious...and slow, so it wouldn't all be unicorns and roses. In fact, I while it may be possible to do as you suggest, I doubt anybody would go that low exactly because they have to produce mrf'd goods for quests, events, and research. The only people who might try it are, I think, at the end of the research map.

Still, I'm keeping an open mind. Let's keep mulling it over and see what we come up with.

AJ

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
Unfortunately, this idea will introduce unbalance issues into the game. For that reason, I will not facilitate forwarding this idea.

Thank you for taking the time to post it though!

Xelie