• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ancient Wonders Mandatory? WTH??

• Thread starter DeletedUser1644
  • Start date

qaccy

While the change to the research tree can 'suck' for those who are forced backwards to complete research that was previously optional, a new player will have never had the option to progress past them anyway - in that light, if it wasn't forced on those already past that point as well, wouldn't it be unfair that a new player would be required to research something that others didn't have to?

In any case, I'm not going to cry foul for Inno making the researches mandatory. All other building-related technologies are also required to progress through the tree. I guess the idea is that AWs may be optional to build, just like most other buildings, but the research is mandatory all the same.

DeletedUser3587

While the change to the research tree can 'suck' for those who are forced backwards to complete research that was previously optional, a new player will have never had the option to progress past them anyway - in that light, if it wasn't forced on those already past that point as well, wouldn't it be unfair that a new player would be required to research something that others didn't have to?

In any case, I'm not going to cry foul for Inno making the researches mandatory. All other building-related technologies are also required to progress through the tree. I guess the idea is that AWs may be optional to build, just like most other buildings, but the research is mandatory all the same.
I don't care. I still quit & demand a refund on those diamonds I bouhjy

DeletedUser627

Research is published ahead of time. Any player entering the game can look at the tree and see what's ahead - and make decisions accordingly. Whether to play the game, how to strategize, etc. New players have forward vision of the "new" Research requiremets facing them. Existing players made their decisions based on what Inno published, and that didn't include all the Wonders. So what's "fair" would seem to be to let players continue based on what was advertised to them.

We all know that Inno has made it legal for them to change the requirements at their whim, but fairness has nothing to do with it. Changing the rules in the middle of the game has never been considered fair play.

And for a lot of mid level players, it's the combination of retroactive Research and Orc requirements that are combining to end their game. The "one-two" punch that leaves us stranded for weeks with no way to progress our cities.

DeletedUser43

The "one-two" punch that leaves us stranded for weeks with no way to progress our cities.

Yup. Some people are happy watching grass grow, others not so much. If you had finally reached some goal and then the rug was snatched out from under you, that can make people unhappy. This has now been done to some people twice in a row. And next week, or whenever the next upgrade is, it will happen again if they don't research the tournament tech.

You can yell at people all you want, but that won't stop people from walking away. If they are fed up, they are fed up. My goal is to keep people playing this game. That's why I advocate for the things that I do. I want people to stay. I really like 6pac and I will be sorry if 6pac leaves the game. I am still so sad that Brymstone and Monomachos left. I adored them both. Brym used to make up the most wonderful stories and all day long our whole fellowship was giggling. Most everyone I know that has played this game for a long time and left has left because they felt disrespected at heart.

dikke ikke

Yep, it is boring to see the grass grow, due to lack of space I have to wait a long time to gather enough granite to make progress in the tech three, and trying to conquer 8 extra provinces to get an extra expansion takes time too, at 5000 granite/day it takes 11 days to get 28000+25000 granite, but the end of the tunnel is in sight. Some members of 'my' fellowship are also affected by the AW's being mandatory but not that much, only a few are at level VI. Therefor 'No Drama' does what it does best, and that is making no drama

DeletedUser3592

It's not a game anymore. It's an interactive storybook, and the orcs are the overly angsty fifth Harry Potter book. We're just playing someone else's idea of the Elvenar Story. :(
A story book? And this whole time I thought I was playing a knock-off off Farmville, but just growing a city instead of a farm; "I've been cheated!"

DeletedUser1987

The problem is that the people who started playing with these wonders have an advantage over the people who were past them when they were released. I was almost to Elven Ancient Wonders, or just past them, when the first Wonders in Act 2 came out. I promptly unlocked the Act 2 Wonders, because I wanted a Golden Abyss. However, anyone who started playing the game and unlocked that wonder as they went through the research tree would have unlocked tens of provinces before getting to the point in the research tree I was when I unlocked the Act 2 Wonders. The people who are being retroactively forced to go back and research the newly introduced wonders aren't getting any shards to make up for the fact that had they unlocked the wonders when they were back in Act 2 they would have so many shards by now.

I STILL don't have my Golden Abyss. Supposedly, I would have one by now if I had actually been in Act 2 when the Golden Abyss was released. The city I had that was in Act 2 when it came out actually has a Golden Abyss now.

If they would just give the players who were long past that stage in the research tree some form of credit to make up for the fact that they missed out on many completed provinces, and therefore opportunities to get shards, that would go a long way towards making up for the distaste directed towards these now mandatory wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maz Mellor

The problem is that the people who started playing with these wonders have an advantage over the people who were past them when they were released. I was almost to Elven Ancient Wonders, or just past them, when the first Wonders in Act 2 came out. I promptly unlocked the Act 2 Wonders, because I wanted a Golden Abyss. However, anyone who started playing the game and unlocked that wonder as they went through the research tree would have unlocked tens of provinces before getting to the point in the research tree I was when I unlocked the Act 2 Wonders. The people who are being retroactively forced to go back and research the newly introduced wonders aren't getting any shards to make up for the fact that had they unlocked the wonders when they were back in Act 2 they would have so many shards by now.

I STILL don't have my Golden Abyss. Supposedly, I would have one by now if I had actually been in Act 2 when the Golden Abyss was released. The city I had that was in Act 2 when it came out actually has a Golden Abyss now.

If they would just give the players who were long past that stage in the research tree some form of credit to make up for the fact that they missed out on many completed provinces, and therefore opportunities to get shards, that would go a long way towards making up for the distaste directed towards these now mandatory wonders.

THIS.

DeletedUser627

I remember the foresighted players who commented on this, and were quickly called "whiners".

DeletedUser1987

I remember the foresighted players who commented on this, and were quickly called "whiners".
I wouldn't care about it nearly so much if, in my frantic race to complete provinces to get shards, I wasn't very close now to hitting the orc requirement 10th ring of provinces wall. It's now impossible for someone who passed that point to simply make up for it by being super aggressive and unlocking hundreds of provinces through negotiating to make up for the fact that they missed out on a hundred provinces before the wonders were released. The orc update makes it impossible to make up for those missing shards.

DeletedUser61

to make up for the fact that they missed out on a hundred provinces before the wonders were released. The orc update makes it impossible to make up for those missing shards.
Future players will need to collect TWICE as many Runes to build the upper level Ancient Wonders, because THEIR Runes will be diluted by a half dozen AW technologies that we didn't have to deal with. Count your blessings.
  • With lots of discovered provinces you can get Runes more easily by finishing more Tournament
  • Runes are one of the prizes in the upcoming Summer Solstice event

DeletedUser1987

Tournaments that I'm still unable to participate in because they start at hours when I'm unable to check them, and can only be participated in so infrequently as to be pointless?

Missing out on at least twenty, probably more like seventy or eighty runes from provinces is a blessing? And I'm reasonably sure the Solstice Tournament is also going to require building a Magic Academy, which still isn't effective enough to waste space building.

dikke ikke

It is sad that you cannot join the tournaments because that is until now the easiest way to get runes for the early levels, I have all the runes for golden abyss and endless excavation, but at the moment no space to build them. I have to find a balance between space for the AW's, granite mines, and copper foundries. So I have to fight/negotiate 8 extra provinces asap.

DeletedUser684

Most of the advanced players, I think, are mainly upset because of the number of provinces they have to capture now in order to get the right shards.
I believe that if you max out your broken shards, and keep it that way instead of cashing them in, the coding then makes every subsequent shard a "good" shard. If it is true (and it may not be), it will make it easier to complete the Wonders with a minimum number of shards, and perhaps make up for the new requirement that basically makes it twice as hard to get the shards that you want.

I did this once before I cashed in my broken shards for another insert (I wanted to see if it would store more than ten shards, and instead gave me a good insert). I then cashed in my broken shards to complete another Wonder before I realized it might be a "hidden" hard-coded feature to prevent an overflow error -- but it could have just been pure luck. However, if it works like this, it would take a lot of the sting out of the recent changes.

I am not close to being able to test this again, but someone else might be. If you can and are able to report back on this, that would be great! Of course, if it does work like this and they change it now, that would be really mean. By mean, I mean cheap, narrow, poor, small, meager.

Also, since shards can be gained as a tournament reward, that will also alleviate a lot of the complaints that I am seeing. Also, with my limited sampling, the tournament shards seem to be the highest shards available. Mine were all dwarven shards, with dwarven being the highest that I had unlocked at that time. People who play the tournament regularly as they progress would be able to fill out their Wonders pretty evenly if it in fact gives you the highest that you have unlocked as the reward. My experience is that 2 of the surrounding tournaments will give shard rewards at the 3rd or 4th level (can't remember which, but I think 3rd) out of 8 that I unlock. They tend to be in the first 3 that are unlocked. I have yet to get to level 6 due to time constraints, so I don't know if more shards are available at that level.

I am also in the same boat of having to stop my research, go back and unlock before continuing, but I have also decided to put my KP into my wonders until I can get some more Fairy shards, which I happily unlocked before the update, before unlocking the lower level wonders.

I am still quite a distance away from unlocking the level on my Monastery where I can "break" the dozens of shards that I have saved up, so that I can test the theory stated above myself. But again, if it works, then the deficit of shards that the advanced players missed out on would be much less of an issue, if it only takes 9 shards to build a Wonder (once you have broken any other 10).

If anyone on Winyandor wants to help me level up my Monastery, any help is appreciated. I think I'm still a couple levels and about a thousand KP away from the next Shard level (I'm working on level 5).

DeletedUser2753

My experience is that 2 of the surrounding tournaments will give shard rewards at the 3rd or 4th level (can't remember which, but I think 3rd) out of 8 that I unlock
This may help you, It is not 100% correct but close. I think round 3 prov 6 is 2,2,0 now but not sure. I picked it up here awhile ago and has been a big help:

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-16_22-26-52.png
    upload_2016-7-16_22-26-52.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 57

DeletedUser61

I believe that if you max out your broken shards, and keep it that way instead of cashing them in, the coding then makes every subsequent shard a "good" shard
Nope - When there's no more room in the Broken Rune Shard bar, if the Rune Shard breaks then you get NOTHING AT ALL .

DeletedUser684

Thank you for that response, Katwijk, but I still have to ask: did you actually try it, or are you just saying what you think is right?

DeletedUser61

I actually experimented with it, but that was several months ago.

Even if your Broken Rune Shard bar is full, you may STILL want to try to insert Runes in the 8th slot, where your odds are 2 out of 9, because your odds will be twice as bad, 1 out of 9, once you only have one open slot left.

DeletedUser684

Okay, great! I'll take your word for it. I just got really lucky and got the 1:9 chance. That still leaves the tournaments to help with shards though, and from Architect's chart, there are even more than I had hoped.

I don't care. I still quit & demand a refund on those diamonds I bought

I edited the spelling.

I hope you are just venting. So... the other option you didn't mention... play past it.

As far as a refund goes: all purchases are Caveat Emptor. It is the law of the gaming world.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser68

I’ve tidied up some stacked posts. This remedial post isn’t “just” about this thread but is intended, rather, to avoid future issues and the consequent warnings that we’re obliged to issue when gentle doesn't get people's attention.
  • The easiest technique is to simply start typing in the reply box at the bottom of the page.
  • If you want to add another thought, and it would make sense to revise your recently posted message,
    simply click the "Edit" link just below your posted message.
  • If you want to add attributed quotes to a message that you’re already posted, you can
    Cut them from the normal edit box and then Paste them into an edit box for the existing message.
For a more elaborate conversation, a very effective technique is to multi-quote SNIPPETS (not the entire message which we’ve already read) that you MIGHT want to respond to, as you're reading the messages on each page.

index.php
  • Click Reply only if you want to quote one entire message
  • Click + Quote if you want to quote several entire messages
  • Highlight and click Reply if you want to quote one snippet
  • Highlight and click + Quote if you want to quote several snippets
If you're using + Quote, you can actually reorganize the snippets before you insert them into the edit box at the bottom of the page.

The desired outcome is a single, nicely organized, easy to read post
that's responsive to the various issues that have been raised during the previous several hours.

OVERLY LARGE graphics chew up a lot of bandwidth and they consequently slow down page loads. Animated gifs are simply irritating.

Our forum rules are available at [URL='https://us.forum.elvenar.com/...m/index.php?threads/forum-rules.702/[/URL[/U]]
but multi-posting and graphics are the most common issues.
  • Embedded graphics may not be larger than 640h x 480v pixels. If it simply has to be larger, please bury it under a spoiler tag.
  • Signature blocks, including image links and all text, may not display larger than 500h x 150v pixels.
  • Animated gifs may not be displayed.
  • Support ticket conversations are confidential, and references thereto will be removed.
  • Material from other forums, particularly discussions about beta features that are not yet in production, are generally discouraged unless you bury them under a spoiler tag.

The syntax for a spoiler tag is listed as part of the general BBCODE help
that’s available under the Help tag in the lower right of all forum pages.
Code:
[SPOILER=Subject]Bury your oversized graphics, or Beta treasures, under a spoiler tag.[/SPOILER]

Bury your oversized graphics, or Beta treasures, under a spoiler tag.

We also have comprehensive support for tabular data.