• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

[Archived 02/2020] News from Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted User - 3932582

good thing, since if every event had buildings more powerful than the last, the game balance would get ridiculous pretty soon
Powercreep is pretty much inevitable in those types of games. So say, I just got 6x Venar's Rocks III - why would I want Queen of the Sea building in a couple of weeks time? Summer Solstice event was clearly geared towards culture/pop hybrids - plenty of excellent choices there. Why go for another (and subpar) pop/culture hybrid in the event that is right next to it? I could understand if these would at least be spaced out a bit with some other building types as prizes for the events in-between. So some people would move up a chapter, didn't participate in the previous event etc. But right now I fail to see who would be excited about the prize for the mini-event. Unless you just go for the artwork. It is, as always, excellent.

DeletedUser5521

So say, I just got 6x Venar's Rocks III - why would I want Queen of the Sea building in a couple of weeks time?
6!! That's how many I got in my 4 cities COMBINED!! :p
But right now I fail to see who would be excited about the prize for the mini-event.
How about people who don't play the way you do, who don't have the same tastes as you do, or find value in something that you don't? ;)
Hmmmm...and maybe someone who didn't get 6 Venars Rocks III...? :oops:
Unless you just go for the artwork. It is, as always, excellent.
Yes, this game does have some stellar artwork and incredible artists creating it :)

Deleted User - 3932582

How about people who don't play the way you do, who don't have the same tastes as you do, or find value in something that you don't? ;)
And that's why I posted what I posted. I would like to hear from people who want to get this prize, and see what their reasoning is. I already mentioned the visuals, so that part I get. Apart from that, not so much.

Deleted User - 3932582

That too. I think some people have the misconception that because they got more than one of something, others must have as well. But even if they did, that doesn't mean they can't want something similar too.
No, I don't have this misconception. The reason why I got 6x VR3s is because I waited for it, and I knew that this time around I wanted culture/pop. If you wanted culture/pop, you most likely could get multiple VR3s too (or other hybrids that are also pretty good). Perhaps some people focused on mana huts or black lotuses (or trading outposts if you saved). But VR3/Cozy Farms are just so good that you likely still want at least a few regardless.

I suppose if you allocated all your flares elsewhere, and/or want even more culture/pop then the mermaid makes sense as you're getting this without spending sunflares. And it is still better than a regular residence (I think) - just not as good as options in the current event. This means that mermaid will become inefficient faster as you progress through the chapters (not a big issue for the end game players).

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 3932582

Because winning the dailies is random, I am sure some players missed out on the better pop/culture buildings they wanted in this event. With the mini event there is no RNG you complete the quests you get the building. So some may like that way better!
Fair enough, this makes sense if you only need 1 building. With the chest openings targeting 1-2 dailies can indeed be a crapshoot. On several occasions I got 3 dailies with just 100-150 flares - but then there were cases where you waste a 1000 flares without hitting anything. This is much less of an issue if you aim for multiples (like 6x, 10x etc). You still have variability, but you're much less likely to be way outside of your target.

Basically, with the main event mechanics you get more reliable results if you focus on bigger multiples with only a few targets.

DeletedUser

And that's why I posted what I posted. I would like to hear from people who want to get this prize, and see what their reasoning is. I already mentioned the visuals, so that part I get. Apart from that, not so much.

Thank you for that clarification. :)

But you see, what matters to me and why won't make sense to you, if I am to take your reasons for devaluing the prize seriously. So I will say simply, why should it matter to one player why another wants something? I could ask why would anyone want to place 6 VRIII in their city when that's an incredible amount of space taken up, but I don't ask things like this, because it's not for me to judge. What works for me works for me. I don't expect it work for anyone else, and I don't feel the need to explain why I may think they're wasting their time or resources just because I don't place the same value on something that they do. Not saying that's you, but I have seen that reasoning a lot over my years of playing MMOs, and I find it irritating.

But VR3/Cozy Farms are just so good that you likely still want at least a few regardless.

I discovered rather quickly after I placed my Cozy Farm that I loathe it. As soon as I can replace it with something equitable and to my liking, it's gone. I didn't bother with VRIII in my main Beta city, and I don't feel the need to bother with either of these buildings here, or in my city on the International server. But I certainly don't question why anyone else wants them.

My main Beta city is at the end of Woodelves. I think I can best decide what will be inefficient for me farther down the line. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
'Queen of the Seas' single-questline event just started in Beta World, running 24th June to 3rd July

Here is a preview that you are welcome to share with your friends who do not play in Beta:
https://tinyurl.com/yynspn4h

64501491_10214209981704117_3275045028581343232_n.jpg

Deleted User - 3932582

But you see, what matters to me and why won't make sense to you, if I am to take your reasons for devaluing the prize seriously. So I will say simply, why should it matter to one player why another wants something? I could ask why would anyone want to place 6 VRIII in their city when that's an incredible amount of space taken up, but I don't ask things like this, because it's not for me to judge. What works for me works for me. I don't expect it work for anyone else, and I don't feel the need to explain why I may think they're wasting their time or resources just because I don't place the same value on something that they do. Not saying that's you, but I have seen that reasoning a lot over my years of playing MMOs, and I find it irritating.
And what I find irritating is that time and again people on the forums get incredibly defensive about choices they make. I am not sure why. Not saying that that's you ;) So here is my usual disclaimer:

- Asking questions (and answering them) on internet forums is OK! Exchange of information is presumably why these forums exist. And all participants present their own subjective views here. And that's cool. Everyone can find something to agree or disagree on the forums - not so much if we say nothing because, you know, it's all subjective ;)
- If you feel that someone asking a question is somehow judging you, then a) you can completely ignore the question (or that someone) and/or b) completely ignore their opinion of you. This is internet, why would you even care? ;)
- I never say that my choices are the only "right" choices, certainly not without disclaimer on what "right" means. Some specific things can be proven to be better or worse (e.g. actual pop/square numbers), others are purely individual views (e.g. how much value do you put on any particular attribute)

Now, with that aside, if you'd ask me why do I need 6x VR3s I can easily answer that, it's not a secret. I tried to plan layouts for Elementals and Amuni, and in order to place everything that I need there to hit my "no tech lock" objective I will need higher pop efficiency than regular residences for those chapters allow. This means I needed some event pop/culture hybrids, and VR3 has the best pop per square of everything available right now. With that, I played around with layouts some more and figured that I need at least 3x VR3s for Elementals, and 6x for Amuni. I might get something better for Amuni by the time I get there, or I may not. With 6x VR3s I should be good even for Amuni with the stuff I already have + regular buildings that will be unlocked.

And no, VR3s do not take incredible amounts of space - they save incredible amounts of space ;) I won't be just adding them of course, I will bulldoze a whole bunch of regular residences.

Again, I am not saying that everyone should be following the same train of thought. But some people would.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
So I will say simply, why should it matter to one player why another wants something?

For me, its because you will likely have a perspective I don't, perhaps I have missed or overlooked something. It might just be 2 completely different styles, and that's fine, but will never know unless people share.

The sad thing for me is the new building looks beautiful but as that isn't the driving factor in my town it will either be skipped or sit in my inventory forever or until disenchanted. If there was a collections record or something I might be far more keen to collect such buildings even though they may never see the light of day in my town.

DeletedUser

And what I find irritating is that time and again people on the forums get incredibly defensive about choices they make.

LOL. I haven't gotten defensive yet. ;):p

If you feel that someone asking a question is somehow judging you, then a) you can completely ignore the question (or that someone) and/or b) completely ignore their opinion of you. This is internet, why would you even care? ;)

I never said anything about anyone judging me. What I said was that it is not for me to judge what another player wants in their city. Trust me, if I was that thin-skinned, I'd never go online. Or leave my house.

Now, with that aside, if you'd ask me why do I need 6x VR3s

But see, I wouldn't ask, because I don't need to know. What works for you, works for you. I never wonder why a player has a specific thing in their city, any more than I would wonder why they love teeeeeny tiny dogs that fit in shirt pockets, or the color puce. I may wonder why they listen to Yoko Ono, but hey, I listen to some pretty messed-up stuff too.

I do understand why you value them, and it's a sound reason. But this was never about that at all. The only reason I replied to your post in the first place was this comment:

But right now I fail to see who would be excited about the prize for the mini-event.

I thought that my reply

answered that question. I apologize that my reply to @Aramina was not more concise, as it was not aimed at any one specific person.

For me, its because you will likely have a perspective I don't, perhaps I have missed or overlooked something. It might just be 2 completely different styles, and that's fine, but will never know unless people share.

The sad thing for me is the new building looks beautiful but as that isn't the driving factor in my town it will either be skipped or sit in my inventory forever or until disenchanted. If there was a collections record or something I might be far more keen to collect such buildings even though they may never see the light of day in my town.

There was a time, long ago and in another game, where I shared a reason for preferring one item over another. Another forum reader didn't get the joke, got offended, and reported me. So sometimes things are best kept to oneself. :p

It does look beautiful! And the animation is quite nice from my perspective. I'll place it as soon as I get it, in fact it will probably take the place of the Cozy Farm I thought I liked until I placed it. I'll take the hit to my pop and culture. I'll keep it as long as I can stand to watch her...well, never mind. I don't want to get reported for a questionable joke again. :D

Wasn't there a suggestion a while back, either here or on Beta, about an album or something like a "collections record" for event prizes we've deleted? I'm edging close to disenchanting my Storm Phoenix...I know I'll never place that thing, but I have this delusion we'll see artifacts in Crafting eventually that makes me hang on to it.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
If has been my experience, in my almost four years of playing this game, that the mini-events are supposed to be more beginner-friendly and reward a prize or two that will help a newer player who has a smaller city. This is why the final prize of the events is just culture or pop and culture, so that a player can stick it anywhere they have room in their city without having to worry about finding a way to put it on a street. And this is also why the quests tend to be a lot easier than those in the big events.

I will be doing the event, first because I like doing the events, and second because the mermaid prize will come with chapter 14 stats for me. And I am sure it will give better numbers than some of my older pop/culture buildings I still have from previous chapters.

Deleted User - 3932582

I will be doing the event
So would I, especially seeing that the quest line seems to be very easy. But the main prize is likely will never get placed, which is a pity. I noticed that my most valuable buildings do not have very appealing artwork (to me). Like Carnival set, Winter Market set, Cozy Farm, even Fire Phoenix. On the other hand some amazing buildings that I really like the visuals on (Rise of Phoenix, Stonehenge, Blue Tree Enclosure) are just not all that stats-wise. So I don't place them ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if some part of their reasoning for throwing so many different events and types of events at us is to break us of the notion that we have to complete everything. Mostly relaxed but slightly stressed players are profitable customers.....
I think this would be the right idea, but it doesn't seem that it is working so far. Judging by some of the forum posting there are quite a few players who are stressed out quite a bit because they can't seem to catch a breath in-between events. And missing or scaling down participation doesn't seem to be an option. Not yet, at least.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Judging by some of the forum posting there are quite a few players who are stressed out quite a bit because they can't seem to catch a breath in-between events. And missing or scaling down participation doesn't seem to be an option. Not yet, at least.

Right now, I think people are a little burned out because we are just about to finish up our second big event in a row, when the pattern for the past few years has been to have something else in between the big events, usually a mini-event or sometimes a Fellowship Adventure, to give us a break from the big event. I wonder if this means there will be a delay for the next big event to give us a bit more of a break. Maybe this mini-event will be followed by a FA or one of those Crafting events before we get the next big event to give us a longer break before the next big one starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.