• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

"Archived" forum threads allow new posts

defiantoneks

not a game bug. forum bug.

Reproducibility: 5/5

Current situation:
"Archive" folders were created to store old posts, but they are not locked. Therefore anyone can go into an archive area and create a new post.
This is not the expected behavior for an archive.

Expected situation:
Archive should be managed by Inno moderators/CMs, and not left to users to edit. Thus, being an archive.
Any attempt to click to post or create a new thread in an archive folder should be forbidden. Error popup, or simply lock out/remove the capability so nothing new can be created by a normal user. Rights to add, move or remove from an Archive should be CM/Mod only.

OIM20

Example link: https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/fastest-way-to-build-loot.37199/

And screen: archive threads.jpg

getmomo

Problem is that active threads get moved in the archives so if you couldn't post in archived threads then all threads would have a shelf life of 3 months because once they are 3 months old they are archived whether they are active or not (which makes absolutely no sense).

OIM20

Problem is that active threads get moved in the archives so if you couldn't post in archived threads then all threads would have a shelf life of 3 months because once they are 3 months old they are archived whether they are active or not (which makes absolutely no sense).
Okay, but I don't really understand the three month rule applying if it's still got activity on it. Is the rule applied to the thread's creation date?

I understand and Will bring this up to the New CM and see if anything can be done.
For my example, just turning off the ability to create new threads in "archive" subforums would resolve that issue. :)

*hands you platter of sweets* Better hurry. @SoggyShorts always shows up when I set those out.... ;)

getmomo

Okay, but I don't really understand the three month rule applying if it's still got activity on it. Is the rule applied to the thread's creation date?

For my example, just turning off the ability to create new threads in "archive" subforums would resolve that issue. :)

*hands you platter of sweets* Better hurry. @SoggyShorts always shows up when I set those out.... ;)

Yes, threads for some strange reason are archived 3 months after being created regardless of activity.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Yes, threads for some strange reason are archived 3 months after being created regardless of activity.
I get there was a major downsizing and the place is possibly short-staffed and overworked. I will give allowances for mistakes during such a transition and that is understandable. However, one still has to wonder about the management and some poor decision making that also got them here besides just the drop in revenue. Like I have never played a game where the devs arbitrarily decided to move users up in the timeline before they have completed that part of the game. Sorry, Mario. The Princess is in another castle, and from now on, you will start your adventures at level 5. Now I am sure they absolutely have reasons for doing it, but it is no less head scratching and disruptive to a player’s gaming experience. If you can be arbitrarily moved to chap 5, then you can arbitrarily be moved to chap 12 too. And the forum is no exception to these nonsensical changes and decision making. I have never heard of a policy to archive threads at the creation date regardless of activity. It’s not like there hasn’t been archive threads here. Clearly it’s possible to have them without threads blinking in and out of existence and being moved all over the place. And if you are short staffed, why create all these archives when there aren’t enough people to maintain them properly?

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
To address the issue of when the threads get moved it was set 3 months after last activity, so everything prior to 02/01/23 was moved starting 05/01/23. This can be seen clearly as except for 2 recent replies the next oldest thread is last of 02/01/23. The CM directed this action and created the archive forums.

getmomo

To address the issue of when the threads get moved it was set 3 months after last activity, so everything prior to 02/01/23 was moved starting 05/01/23. This can be seen clearly as except for 2 recent replies the next oldest thread is last of 02/01/23. The CM directed this action and created the archive forums.

That is not what @Silmaril told me in another thread. I was told it was 3 months from thread creation. You guys need to get on the same page. So which one is it???

Yogi Dave

I was worried about some threads that had been around for a few years since it had been mentioned earlier that it was 3 months from start of the thread. I looked at one that had been around 3 years. It was still active. However, it'd been a bit over 2 months since the last post, so I added something hoping that would hold it. I'm glad to hear the correction of it being 3 months of no activity.

I guess if it's a thread you care about, you need to add something every so often to keep it active. One in particular I don't want to go away is

My Beautiful City. It was less than 3 weeks from being archived. I'm glad to see the post there (and mentioning elsewhere) seems to have woken it up. There have been 16 posts there since.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
That is not what @Silmaril told me in another thread. I was told it was 3 months from thread creation. You guys need to get on the same page. So which one is it???
Hey, let's give Astram a little break here and some time to get ahold of these people and discuss to get on same page. He is doing his best and only relaying what he has been told so far to us and also tells us if something he was never informed about that he contacts them asap to try to get answers for us. Not arguing with you or anything as obviously they all need to get on same page, I just couldn't tell the tone of the sentence obviously with only typing so just in case was throwing this out there. He is doing his best from what it looks like on his end and that it is the higher ups that need to communicate to him better. Just in my opinion what it seems to look like to me when I read everything.

Last edited: