• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Are Event Quests a Hardship or Fun Challenge for New Players? I’m about to find out.

Tauriel Dragonwood

I'm starting a city in another world to see if it’s true what a lot of players are telling me - new players should not be having any problems completing event quests, especially solving encounters. Having years of experience playing Elvenar though, I will be starting with an advantage over a new player.

We tend to forget what it was like when we first started playing Elvenar: not knowing how to fight, what buildings and Ancient Wonders are better to build first, and what, in the name of hobbits, is an Ancient Wonder? When I first started playing Elvenar, it was simple to learn all the game mechanics. We didn’t have a new battle system so fighting instead of negotiating was easy. There were no Fellowship Adventures to go on, no tournaments and not as many events as there are now. New players are telling me it’s a wee bit overwhelming to them and if you’re not playing on a mobile device, it can be time consuming giving neighborly help.

Well I’m off to start my experimental city to see if being a new player has a disadvantage when trying to complete events, especially solving encounters. I’m using a laptop not a mobile device and will let you know the results. Hope I have a chance to water the flowers with a garden hose before another event emerges from the shadows.

Hmmm, now what would Tauriel name her new city? I know… Mirkwood!

These guides can be quite useful when out ‘n about exploring Elvenar.
Here’s Mykan’s Guide to Elvenar & Bobbykitty’s Guide for New Players.
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/mykans-guide-to-elvenar.3966/
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/new-player-guide-beginner-guide.3461/

Last edited:

DeletedUser2768

Me in Ceravyn right now: recruit 510 troops. My Barracks pumps out 69 troops at a time, I have 3 slots, and it's going to take me around 24+ hours to do those three rounds.

It would be easier, I guess, if I had a maxed out barracks, but I don't plan on fighting unless I have to, so I'd rather have the space for something else.

Tauriel Dragonwood

I remember reading a post Mykan wrote about buildings only produce resources if you are online. Does anyone know if that is true or was true or do the buildings our wee little citizens produce goods in continue working when we're not logged on?

DeletedUser

I remember reading a post Mykan wrote about buildings only produce resources if you are online. Does anyone know if that is true or was true or do the buildings our wee little citizens produce goods in continue working when we're not logged on?
I set everything to the time frame (roughly) that I will be away working, or just watching TV, when the time is up, everything has cooked and ready to harvest. I agree with Andrew, housing is the kicker, it will produce coins, after upgrading when you log on. If at all possible, I would consider timing the build to come close to you logging on. So no overly wasted resources so to speak

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12171

This is a strange question. First, what "goods" are you talking about? Coins, supplies or goods?

In any case, wouldn't you know it yourself?

Coins - You collect coins and log off. The next time you come on, do your residences have more coins for collection or are they still empty?

Supplies - how do you make supplies? Have you noticed anything to suggest that supplies don't get made when you're not online?

Goods - same as supplies

Tauriel Dragonwood

Thank you Andrew420 and Purfie for your explanations. Now I understand. One more question. When aiding my neighbors, I've noticed many cities with Main Halls being upgraded. When I visit their city again, that building is still upgrading. If you don't log on, will the Main Hall just not finish leveling up?

rvtdragon1

Thank you Andrew420 and Purfie for your explanations. Now I understand. One more question. When aiding my neighbors, I've noticed many cities with Main Halls being upgraded. When I visit their city again, that building is still upgrading. If you don't log on, will the Main Hall just not finish leveling up?

Even though the time to upgrade may have completed the building will not complete and show as upgraded, to you or anyone else, until that player logs in. If the building has been upgrading for a week then the player has either been busy and not logged on or has maybe left the game. I have one neighbor that has 2 residences upgrading for the past 4 months. I would say she is no longer playing.

It also depends on how often you do visits. Some upper level Main Halls take 40 hours and more to upgrade.

Last edited:

DeletedUser7276

I'm starting a city in another world to see if it’s true what a lot of players are telling me - new players should not be having any problems completing event quests, especially solving encounters. Having years of experience playing Elvenar though, I will be starting with an advantage over a new player.

We tend to forget what it was like when we first started playing Elvenar: not knowing how to fight, what buildings and Ancient Wonders are better to build first, and what, in the name of hobbits, is an Ancient Wonder? When I first started playing Elvenar, it was simple to learn all the game mechanics. We didn’t have a new battle system so fighting instead of negotiating was easy. There were no Fellowship Adventures to go on, no tournaments and not as many events as there are now. New players are telling me it’s a wee bit overwhelming to them and if you’re not playing on a mobile device, it can be time consuming giving neighborly help.

Well I’m off to start my experimental city to see if being a new player has a disadvantage when trying to complete events, especially solving encounters. I’m using a laptop not a mobile device and will let you know the results. Hope I have a chance to water the flowers with a garden hose before another event emerges from the shadows.

Hmmm, now what would Tauriel name her new city? I know… Mirkwood!

These guides can be quite useful when out ‘n about exploring Elvenar.
Here’s Mykan’s Guide to Elvenar & Bobbykitty’s Guide for New Players.
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/mykans-guide-to-elvenar.3966/
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/new-player-guide-beginner-guide.3461/
I have quite the opposite problem. during the quests when it asks for completing provinces, then obtaining relics. It takes me 62 hours to scout a province, in this latest quest it asks to solve 11 encounters ( of course there are only 8 in a province) so I have to take another 62 hours to get the remaining 3. Then immediately it asks for 13 relics ( by now the tourney is over) so another 62 hours to gain 8 relics. Did you notice I am still short on relics? I can only hope the new tournament starts soon enough to get the remaining relics. Yes I get some relics with neighborly visits, but unfortunately you can only get 3 chests for help and not all have relics. So in a nut shell in my other worlds where I am not as far advanced it was easier to complete the quest line.

DeletedUser9601

I have quite the opposite problem. during the quests when it asks for completing provinces, then obtaining relics. It takes me 62 hours to scout a province, in this latest quest it asks to solve 11 encounters ( of course there are only 8 in a province) so I have to take another 62 hours to get the remaining 3. Then immediately it asks for 13 relics ( by now the tourney is over) so another 62 hours to gain 8 relics. Did you notice I am still short on relics? I can only hope the new tournament starts soon enough to get the remaining relics. Yes I get some relics with neighborly visits, but unfortunately you can only get 3 chests for help and not all have relics. So in a nut shell in my other worlds where I am not as far advanced it was easier to complete the quest line.
First, if an event comes along, you should know by now that you will need to complete encounters. Your scout time is 62 hours, so you've been playing a really long time. Even if you don't want to read spoilers and know exactly how many encounters are needed, you know it will be more than 1. So just scout and save when an event starts.
As for relics, I agree that its the hardest part if you dont read spoilers. Because if that relic quest arrives right on a Saturday at 3pm, you are hosed for 4 days.

DeletedUser12171

You're a very nasty fellow. If I knew, why would I be asking? I never noticed which building does not produce resources if you are off line. This is the reason why I hate to ask questions on the forum because of sarcastic remarks from players like you. Bye RandomNo.

If you could be an adult about this, you would see that the rest of what was in my post basically was guiding questions for you to find answers for yourself.

DeletedUser

no the main hall will upgrade regardless of being on or off just like any building you are constructing. Depending on the size/level it can take mins to day (s). You will still get your coins from your houses and visits, but no one can click on it until it has finished. Hope that helped

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
no the main hall will upgrade regardless of being on or off just like any building you are constructing
Yes, the upgrading goes on while you are offline. The key is, it will only complete when you log in. Notice next time you upgrade a residence if it finishes when you're offline. You can tell it only 'completes' when you log on because it only starts producing coins once you're logged in. So, if a player stops playing when their Main Hall is in upgrade, it will never finish because they never log back in.
On the mobile app, you can still 'help' a main hall even if it's in upgrade.

DeletedUser3122

I have a few new cities on all the US servers, and am in chapter 1. The current event ends later today. In some of the cities, I've never been able to progress past quest 8. Why? Because they asked for Ensorcelled Endowment. The only possible way to get that spell is to do neighbor visits and open 3 chests per day. I have so few neighbors explored, I almost never get all 3 chests. The chance of getting the endowment spell is pretty slim. Perhaps if I'd played the event from the beginning, I would've eventually gotten a random spell. But this is a degree of frustration they could have entirely eliminated. You don't want a brand new player frustrated because believe me, many will quit the game because they're not yet invested.

You can't make the spell because you don't have the academy yet. Even if you did, you're unable to make the spell until later chapters. And even once you get the spell, you can't even use it because no culture is high enough to use it on. Maybe once I get to the Flying Boat. But that's still several techs away. So they locked out lower chapter players by doing this sort of quest.

If I play Fellowship Adventures (not in any FS that play those), when they request 24 and 48 hour productions, this would be endlessly frustrating to a newer player. They are trying to build their city and this will delay them considerably. They don't have room, population or culture to build extra buildings for the event either.

Maybe some like those kind of challenges. I'm betting most don't.

And finally, maybe Inno believes these unattainable events for new players are a carrot. I'm betting not. And all the while, they keep asking you to buy diamonds. Why would anyone want to buy diamonds, only to be frustrated?

If you don't log on, will the Main Hall just not finish leveling up?

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic here. I'm wondering how anyone can play this game for even a few months and not notice a MH upgrading and the city not growing, that it means the city has been abandoned and/or no one is logging in for it to finish? Maybe you don't do neighbor visits?

DeletedUser9601

I have a few new cities on all the US servers, and am in chapter 1...You don't want a brand new player frustrated because believe me, many will quit the game because they're not yet invested..
I mean, there's no way for the developers to realistically have a quest line that is interesting and doable for a player in chapter 1, and also for a player in chapter 13. What if someone started playing 5 minutes ago? Can they still get the entire questline done?
Anything short of developers coming up with 13 different quest lines (based on what chapter you are in) is going to fall short. That would make event development significantly more expensive, and result in a lot less content. I just don't see it happening.

DeletedUser12171

Back on the topic of "are event quests a hardship" - I have been thru an event (last year's March of the Herds) as a newbie (chapter 1 - I remember because I was not even able to build magic codexes and I remember the leaf codex being the very first daily I won, and thought how awesome it was). I didn't have a fellowship then and had barely began learning the game and exploring the wiki. I only got as far as the first GP, and additionally got a valorian valor and a traveling merchant (awful prizes for my level, I didn't know better). Still, I don't remember finding that time a hardship. I was very happy with my Herds Gathering. It being my first event, I took note of what an event was all about and made a mental note to do better in the next one. By the next event (Eldrasil's - I skipped the masquerade one), I had been well-equipped enough to get all 3 grand prizes without spending any diamonds at all.

Are the quests hard for newbies? Perhaps. Do they qualify as "hardship"? Wow I don't know; to some, eating plain white bread for breakfast every day is hardship, but to others, having any bread to eat at all is a blessing. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective.