• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Best approach to fellowship shopping?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 850238979
  • Start date

Deleted User - 850238979

Howdy folks,
I'm just wondering what the appropriate wait time is for responses to requests to join fellowships is?

I am currently in limbo as a fellowship I joined had a major drama blowout the day after I joined (I swear it wasn't my fault! Ol' gassy was on his best behavior) and while a good chunk of the ex-members opted to join a half full fs existing on the periphery I chose not to. I'm deathly allergic to drama llamas and just want to play the game in peace.

So, to that end, I've been messaging fellowships that aligned with my goals (10 chests, silver spire, no drama, teamwork approach to achieving etc) and then sit back and wait for a reply.

Problem is I can't tell the difference between being ghosted and AMs who are busy. Some message back and say they're waiting for someone else to message back (their first choice for a spot) and say they'll let me know in due course but how long is due course?

Katwick

Cartographer
Don't forget to take a close look at the folks who have been visiting your city.

They are likely to be in an active Fellowship, and they are usually quite responsive if you ask if there's room for a new member.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
I gotta be honest, I won't wait more than about 12 hours, if I don't have a response by then I move on to my second choice, if I am going to miss out on tournament or spire, I panick and send a mail to each of my top picks and join whoever let's me in first. If I was told that I was on a waiting list of any kind... I would go away and never apply again.

Moho

Chef
Some message back and say they're waiting for someone else to message back (their first choice for a spot) and say they'll let me know in due course but how long is due course?
Everyone wants to belong to a good fellowship and it is only natural that there should be a waiting list in the case of those ranking high. I went through this experience in the past too. If someone doesn't want you, they will tell you right away. If they would like to have you but you must wait in line, then you should be patient and wait.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I am in Iyapo’s camp. I wouldn’t wait. As a player seeking a FS, you are in the driver’s seat. There are more FS desperate for players than players looking. Be as picky as you want. If there is a wait list, then it’s just not your time for that group. Can always apply again later if you really want to join them. You can also post in the appropriate game world subforum and have them knock on your doors.

Mrietha

Gassy
If you can't find a Fellowship that you like and fits your requirements, try one that doesn't quite fit. You may be the new member that takes them to that 10th Chest or that Silver Spire.
My Fellowship in SA never did exceptionally well. We probably had between 10-15 members with only 3/4 active at our best. Then a few months ago we just took off. What used to be 2-3 chests is now 4-5 and approaching 6 chests on a good week, first level of diamonds in the Spire every week, and the ability to make a respectable try at the third stage of FAs. We're up to 21 members and only 2 or 3 don't play. And we accomplished that by a couple of new cities of average size who were enthusiastic players and looking for a no demands, no drama Fellowship joining us. They have been contagious and our Fellowship continues to grow.

You could be one of these inspiring cities to a smaller Fellowship.

Deleted User - 850238979

Don't forget to take a close look at the folks who have been visiting your city.

They are likely to be in an active Fellowship, and they are usually quite responsive if you ask if there's room for a new member.
There are plenty of active fellowships that I could join but I'd prefer to find a home rather than a house if that makes sense.

I pride myself on being an equal where I work just as hard as everyone else to achieve goals for the group so I don't want a fs where people are having to be nagged to do the bare minimum or ch 10+ cities are putting 100 pts on the tourney while others are doing 3-4k to cover for them.

Deleted User - 850238979

I gotta be honest, I won't wait more than about 12 hours, if I don't have a response by then I move on to my second choice, if I am going to miss out on tournament or spire, I panick and send a mail to each of my top picks and join whoever let's me in first. If I was told that I was on a waiting list of any kind... I would go away and never apply again.
That's exactly how I felt these past few days. I just unlocked the spire, completed two floors and bam! the fellowship is gone! Now tourney is lost this week too so I won't be able to get far in the event without a home. I'm trying my best to be patient haha

Deleted User - 850238979

Everyone wants to belong to a good fellowship and it is only natural that there should be a waiting list in the case of those ranking high. I went through this experience in the past too. If someone doesn't want you, they will tell you right away. If they would like to have you but you must wait in line, then you should be patient and wait.
What would you do while you're waiting? I've checked the area, I don't see any nice bars to hang out in

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I am in a few really active responsive Fellowships that usually get the ten chests... spire is a work in progress but there is no drama allowed. Im in a few more up and comings.... message me if you want to give any of them a shot. I have a city in every world....

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
If you want more out of a fellowship, which it sounds like you do, then I don’t think you should wait to join a more functional fellowship. There are only 21 chapters. Why languish in a FS that can’t get you a blueprint or whatever for half the game or more because they can’t get organized enough to deliver?

When they started putting artifacts into Spire, I knew it was time to move on to a Gold FS. I can get Brown/Polar/Fire Phoenix fully evolved quicker and have more chapters to use them on if I am raking in the diamonds in a Gold FS than a Silver FS. Back then, it used to be if you missed the event, they’ll let you craft a useless base later with no means of ever evolving them (now they let you craft artifacts with no base, see also: Gingerbread Mansion). I would have stayed and helped the group work to Gold but the mages had no interest. That’s fine, but a FS that helps everyone acquire the elite buildings is going to be much stronger as a whole than one that does not. I’d rather play for an AM that understood that concept so I skedaddled off from a FS I have outgrown. By the time I am in chapter 15 or whatever, I’d prob have less need of a Fire Phoenix to do things like fighting Spire than a much earlier city anyway. Prob also jaded about tournaments in later chapters to want to do so much. Better to get in on the goodies early.

Ariel Greensleeves

You sound like you would be worth your weight in gold coins! I wish you were playing in Ceravyn bc you are exactly what we need: active, silver spire ready, and want to participate fully and grow quickly.
I think its worth waiting for a FS that seems like a good match rather than jumping in and then bailing. It looks bad for you and for the FS. Message the AM (or whoever is in charge of recruiting) directly, don't wait for them to see a request to join. If you don't get a reply, message another high ranking person in that FS. Keep in mind that people do go on vaction. I missed a good player bc I was offline for a week.
Counter question: having invited someone to join my FS, how long do I have to wait for a reply before bugging them again? I know they have been online, but does no response always mean NO? HINT: Polite people at least message back to decline.

Ihrlaen

Counter question: having invited someone to join my FS, how long do I have to wait for a reply before bugging them again? I know they have been online, but does no response always mean NO? HINT: Polite people at least message back to decline.
I use 24 hours + whatever time after that when I am online again, but I run a fellowship of (mostly) daily players. The answer is pretty much dictated by what your expect from your fellowship members: use that as your guide. If a player is not interested, or can't be bothered, that's fine. They self-select out and you can move on.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Howdy folks,
I'm just wondering what the appropriate wait time is for responses to requests to join fellowships is?

I am currently in limbo as a fellowship I joined had a major drama blowout the day after I joined (I swear it wasn't my fault! Ol' gassy was on his best behavior) and while a good chunk of the ex-members opted to join a half full fs existing on the periphery I chose not to. I'm deathly allergic to drama llamas and just want to play the game in peace.

So, to that end, I've been messaging fellowships that aligned with my goals (10 chests, silver spire, no drama, teamwork approach to achieving etc) and then sit back and wait for a reply.

Problem is I can't tell the difference between being ghosted and AMs who are busy. Some message back and say they're waiting for someone else to message back (their first choice for a spot) and say they'll let me know in due course but how long is due course?
Dang I wish I had an open spot. I deleted all the backsliders and now we just have great players, but I'm sure you would fit into that category.

As far as your question goes, I think about 12-16 hours is good. If someone doesn't get back to you within that time, then they may not be as active an AM as you might like. Of course, take into account that if you contact someone at 7pm on the west coast, they might have gone to bed at their 10pm east coast location. But they still should be able to get back to you within 16 hours at the latest. I could get back to you within 10 no matter what time you wrote, but then, I live here, lol, so I may not be the best judge of how long it takes. :)

Darielle

You sound like you would be worth your weight in gold coins! I wish you were playing in Ceravyn bc you are exactly what we need: active, silver spire ready, and want to participate fully and grow quickly.
I think its worth waiting for a FS that seems like a good match rather than jumping in and then bailing. It looks bad for you and for the FS. Message the AM (or whoever is in charge of recruiting) directly, don't wait for them to see a request to join. If you don't get a reply, message another high ranking person in that FS. Keep in mind that people do go on vaction. I missed a good player bc I was offline for a week.

Most people will never reply, unfortunately, but some do. When I am recruiting for an open spot, I will space my invites 2 days apart, but say in my message to them something like, "Right now we have a rare open spot on a first come first served basis. Please let me know within 24 hours if you'd like me to hold it for you till the spire and tourney finish. I'm happy to do that for great players." Most of the players I recruit do want to wait until the end of tourney, so they sometimes ask me to hold it and I honor that through Saturday night.

I've had people never reply, but 2 months later contact me and say, "Okay, I'm ready now; can you find me a spot?" Sometimes I can, sometimes not. You never know when they will remember your fellowship. But if they don't get back to me to ask me to hold the spot, I feel no qualms about recruiting for it 2 days later.

defiantoneks

my answer to the original question:
- if i am applying to a FS that is advertising as recruiting, then I expect an answer within 12 hours. I feel like any AM who is looking for players should check in at least once during any given half day.
- I also try to make sure I communicate with more than one. Send to the AM, and any mages.
- what day you send your communication is also probably going to be a factor. If you want to switch without interruption of spire and tourney, you need to send a first email sometime at least a few days ahead of the Saturday eve/Sun morn window. That way you can agree, they know to be ready to approve you, etc when the window opens.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I usually don't issue the invite unless they have actually said they wish to join. Issuing non-requested invites seems to be fishing to me.

Another thing. You could look in the "Fellowships looking for members" and see if there are any "group" advertisements. I know of one group of 10 fellowships that have places for just about anybody from casual to competitive. All the fellowships in that group are required to keep the inactives at 2 or below and be fully active and vibrant. There may be more than one group. (Gee, I hope this doesn't qualify as an advertisement. I mean I do think using a broker to find you a fellowship is better than searching for one yourself.)

AJ

Darielle

I usually don't issue the invite unless they have actually said they wish to join. Issuing non-requested invites seems to be fishing to me.

Another thing. You could look in the "Fellowships looking for members" and see if there are any "group" advertisements. I know of one group of 10 fellowships that have places for just about anybody from casual to competitive. All the fellowships in that group are required to keep the inactives at 2 or below and be fully active and vibrant. There may be more than one group. (Gee, I hope this doesn't qualify as an advertisement. I mean I do think using a broker to find you a fellowship is better than searching for one yourself.)

AJ
Since the only ones you can invite are those without a fellowship, I don't understand how that could be a bad thing. You aren't fishing in someone else's pond, after all.

And I have no qualms about fishing in someone else's pond if it's being mismanaged by another archmage. But in viable fellowships with an archmage who is trying at whatever level she/he is at, nope, I observe the "no fishing" sign and move on.

Yogi Dave

There is a section in the forum for each world where you can advertise that you are looking for an FS. Say what you wish from them, how active you are, what you can contribute and the direction you plan on taking. You can put more or less than I've mentioned. There are also threads from FSs looking for members. Take a look at them too.

As for your initial comment about how long to wait - if there are several AWs you are interested in, send a message to all of them and best to include all the mages and the AM, unless the overview gives a specific person to send the message to. Be sure to have read their overview and express how you fit with the overview. If there are a few differences in your game play from the overview, that might not be a problem if you explain what and why. Best to find out before joining if there will be problems. If there is a specific one you wish to join, you may want to only send them a message and delay before sending out more messages. My FS has lost out on a few people we would have wanted since we look at their history via Elvenstats and Elvenarch. Then, unless it's a no brainer, we talk among ourselves. We do send them a message immediately if a cursory look seems feasible and we tell them we are looking at them and maybe ask a few questions to be sure they understood our overview or to be sure we understood how we fit together. We want to be sure we are equally compatible and prefer to go a week or so with only 24 players in order to find a good match for us and for them. Other times, we have to put the person on a waiting list since we are full. Most people on the list have moved on to another FS by the time we have an opening.

Oh, never just click the apply button. That is ok to do as long as you have sent a message to the appropriate people in the FS.

Last, good luck with your search and I hope it is already over.