• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

City movement

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
"We are very pleased to have received your incredible feedback regarding the Player Movement options in the game.
This has lead to a great deal behind the scenes here at Elvenar!
Having listened to the community, we have now decided to take the decision to remove the choice "
This is what you got out of our feedback???
Perhaps I haven't been clear enough. This is confusing to be foisted with new neighbors, with players who are unknown quantities, and who cannot be relied upon to supplement whatever trade deficit is currently an issue in a fellowship. I am still heartsick, that you parted me from my map brother, on EN2, where I have played in the same location, with basically the same people since the city spawned in the Spring of 2016. And now, you are telling us that there is no real point in developing any of those relationships because you can just disrupt them at least once a week because some random newbie who had the same boosts as I do, quit playing and I get dumped in the dead newbie zone that seems to comprise the center of the map. Is that it?
Edited to remove my brother's name. Those who were there know, and those who weren't, don't need to.

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Being able to block movement to a better location should have never been a choice in the game, but since it was, it probably should have been removed from the browser version as soon as the app version was released, since the app did not have that option.

And perhaps actually showing the entire announcement would be better, though I would assume @helya will be posting this for the US soon:

We are very pleased to have received your incredible feedback regarding the Player Movement options in the game.
This has led to a great deal behind the scenes here at Elvenar!

Having listened to the community, we have now decided to take the decision to remove the choice of the double edged sword, that is the Player Movement option. This will remain to be not included in the individual player settings. This will prevent the situations we have had regarding players left behind and being surrounded by gold mines when they have chosen to not move when all of their neighbours did.

This will mean that World Map movement we currently implement each Monday, will continue as usual, with every player taken into consideration for a move closer to the Map centre. It will also mean that any large forced movement, that we have recently come through will be unlikely to be needed in the future.

We hope that this new change will help the community thrive with busier neighbourhoods as we move ever forwards.

Edit: and she did. So everyone can read the official text and not just my copy/paste:

Last edited:

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
This is what you got out of our feedback???
Perhaps I haven't been clear enough. This is confusing to be foisted with new neighbors, with players who are unknown quantities, and who cannot be relied upon to supplement whatever trade deficit is currently an issue in a fellowship. I am still heartsick, that you parted me from my map brother, on EN2, where I have played in the same location, with basically the same people since the city spawned in the Spring of 2016. And now, you are telling us that there is no real point in developing any of those relationships because you can just disrupt them at least once a week because some random newbie who had the same boosts as I do, quit playing and I get dumped in the dead newbie zone that seems to comprise the center of the map. Is that it?

Overall the feedback from the move after turning off automatic movement has been incredibly positive. After the first sweep when it was on, there were a lot of players just left behind in the abyss because their neighbors had it enabled. It was actually more positive than we were anticipating.

I know you miss your area @Lelanya and I know how upset you've been over the moves. I'm really sorry, I wish there had been a way to keep established pockets of neighbors together, but finding the groups and then relocating them to the center together all while keeping their exact same boosts was impossible. I know that's no consolation, but I do hear you and understand where you are coming from.

Now that everyone is more smushed together, it would be unusual for you to be moved again if you've not on the outer edge of the circle of active cities. The player movement tool selects active cities that are the furthest away from the center and moves them when there is an available spot closer to the center. As new players start the game they will be added to the outskirts, so often these will be the players that are moved.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
The most recent announcement seemed to say there will be small map moves every Monday moving forward. Is that the current plan @helya ?
Yes, we'll be going back to the regular Monday movement soon. Probably starting the first week in January. There's a little bit of cleanup still happening from the big move, but that's about done and the rest of the lost players will be moved manually as soon as that option has been activated. (which will be soon. I know, shocking)

Lelanya

Ok. Once more into the breach * honestly this feels like a brick wall, tho.

Please, @helya, this is a problem. I don't want to be moved, and I especially do not want to end up in the center. In fact, I have a couple moves that need undoing (all on EN, do not get me started on the 'Support' we currently receive there). Can't you get the Devs to see that they still don't have this right??

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Ok. Once more into the breach * honestly this feels like a brick wall, tho.

Please, @helya, this is a problem. I don't want to be moved, and I especially do not want to end up in the center. In fact, I have a couple moves that need undoing (all on EN, do not get me started on the 'Support' we currently receive there). Can't you get the Devs to see that they still don't have this right??
I can only offer to forward your feedback, but sadly I don't think it will help. Do you want me to check your locations on the maps for you so you can see what the risk of being moved again is? If so, send me a PM, I'm happy to take a peek.

Unfortunately, we cannot move anyone back. It's not EN support being difficult, it's just not an option that we have in our tools. Even with the manual move option that is coming soon, we won't be able to select a location for players, just select the player and they will be moved to a location near the center.

Lelanya

Hmmm
I am aware that moves cannot be undone; have been for 5 years. I ran a FS that recruited a tight knit group of ladies who dwelled in a sparse area, and one of them got separated from her group. I guided her through the process of connecting with a live member of Support (she ended up talking with a staffer, Amy or Muf-Muf). But she represents exactly what I am trying to represent here. That we form close bonds with some folks, who we rarely if ever get to meet, and it is difficult to be uprooted. I know for me, I interact with this Forum and this game, in my personal space, and so my friends (or even family) seem very real. The true tragedy is that folks sometimes just walk away.
I Discord with those closest to me, who interact with that program. I have actually met 2 folks who live near me. I've searched for a friend with a heart condition who vanished, and tracked down a cancer survivor who lived on an another continent.

The reason I'm still advocating, is this blithe attitude Inno has, to ignore our settled areas, to contemplate moving us every week. Come on Helya, that's ridiculous. Even in FoE , we do not get moved every week. We do get moved, sure, the neighbors are more like school classmates, folks we interact with for a stretch, based on chapter and loosely on tech tree advancement within it. The average length between moves is generally 3 to 4 weeks, with at least one quick adjustment periodically.

The reason Elvenar is different is the world map. We go out, to hunt for provinces or to tourney, and each time the eye gets jarred. "Hey, where's... oh. Gone." Here I have a city that's been moved 3 times in 2 years and let me tell you, it's confusing. But the point is, I've had 5 cities moved, all of the same day, and all of them were in long term, stable, move in areas. Ugh, I am wasting my time, obviously.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
The reason I'm still advocating, is this blithe attitude Inno has, to ignore our settled areas, to contemplate moving us every week. Come on Helya, that's ridiculous. Even in FoE , we do not get moved every week. We do get moved, sure, the neighbors are more like school classmates, folks we interact with for a stretch, based on chapter and loosely on tech tree advancement within it. The average length between moves is generally 3 to 4 weeks, with at least one quick adjustment periodically.
Weekly movement has actually been occurring for years, it was just a bit broken. This would generally be a small number of players located at the outer edges of the currently active cities, not randomly moving large swaths of players every week. You would not even be eligible for movement unless you're on the outer section of active cities since priority is based on how far you are from the center.

Your cities may have felt like they were in stable areas, that would only have remained after the move if you had coordinated with all of your neighbors to turn off automatic movement as well. Even then, over time as players stop playing it will slowly become less and less populated as new players will now only be added to the edges and empty spaces within the current active group of cities.

Please don't feel like you're wasting your time. I am listening, and I am forwarding all feedback that I get, good or bad, so while it may not generate any changes, if you don't share it, it definitely won't.

Last edited:

mephalia39

I still have a city that hasn't moved on A world and have 24 or so gold coin cities near me. The whole north of me is nothing but gold and empty. The only good thing is my few big long term neighbors haven't moved either. I never had the not move option marked, even though that doesn't apply atm. So I have no clue, should I or shouldn't I be moved lol

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
I still have a city that hasn't moved on A world and have 24 or so gold coin cities near me. The whole north of me is nothing but gold and empty. The only good thing is my few big long term neighbors haven't moved either. I never had the not move option marked, even though that doesn't apply atm. So I have no clue, should I or shouldn't I be moved lol
It sounds like you're on the edge of active cities, since they've all been smushed towards the center, some players will be on the outer edges. If you have cities on one side but not the other, that's probably it. You'll be considered a possibility for the weekly Monday move, or your area will be filled slowly with new players. You're welcome to submit a ticket and I can check again when we have the manual single city move option available to be used.

edeba

I do not like this change of forced player movement at all. I thought this crap was done and I was feeling thankful that one of my longtime map friends was still there and you've implemented that either my game or hers could be ripped away any week.

A player that quit about 4 years ago is finally gone. Seriously, the problem wasn't that I don't want to move, but that you couldn't figure out how to get rid of long term dead cities.

A better plan is to have an automatic switch to move after 2 months of inactivity. There was something wrong with the programming that a player who quit at the end of the second year never moved.

The correct solution here is to figure out how to program this correctly instead of taking away the option.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
In our Fellowship I haven't had any real complaints about being moved. Seems everyone thinks it was a good thing. I do have 1 that makes no sense who did not get moved. She is a daily player, has finished Fairy chapter but doesn't want to move into Orcs, participates in Tournament and Spire weekly, participates in Fellowship Adventures and buys diamonds periodically. She did not get moved and has many more coin cities around her and darn near no trades in trader. My question is what is the definition of an active player? All the drama over this and I honestly can't figure it out or find where it is even loosely defined.

@helya I'm not looking to have her added to the list. She is my adult daughter so I have zero problem covering whatever she may need for trades. I'm just thinking that if something is missing for her to be considered active and moved next time I could tell her.