• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Convent Naming Discussion

LisaMV

A new "Convent?" I am not sure I understand... ✨ Do we already have a convent here?
hmm.... interesting, though!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It would help a lot to know what class the new building falls under. Is it a Wonder, an Event building, a cultural building? Does it produce goods or inspire troops or increase knowledge? I'd expect the Convent of the Wild Archer to have a different function than the Convent of Secrets or the Convent of the Forge. Without any idea what the building does, this kind of feels like throwing darts at a wall

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
It would help a lot to know what class the new building falls under. Is it a Wonder, an Event building, a cultural building? Does it produce goods or inspire troops or increase knowledge? I'd expect the Convent of the Wild Archer to have a different function than the Convent of Secrets or the Convent of the Forge. Without any idea what the building does, this kind of feels like throwing darts at a wall
It can be anything you want it to be, and it can be just a worthwhile name. I leave all that to the user's discretion.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Haha, spoken like someone who has not met my mother!

Btw, “mum”…are you a friend of the maple leaf too or did you swim here from across the pond?
Lol
Living on the border, like I did, growing up, we were exposed to both forms. We used to hang out with the neighbors, all in a group and debate various points.
Lunch and supper, or the ever euphemistic 'dinner', is one example; mum or mom is another. We were teenagers, so we picked Mum because Mom is too much like Mommy, and beneath our dignity. After that it was peer pressure for years.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Lunch and supper, or the ever euphemistic 'dinner'
Yes, it took playing Elvenar to realize the Canadians only ever have to "go make supper" or their "supper is ready", but they never eat any dinners. I missed the opportunity to ask if they invite everyone over to have a big Thanksgiving supper when we were celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving instead of doing the FA.
one example; mum or mom is another. We were teenagers, so we picked Mum because Mom is too much like Mommy, and beneath our dignity. After that it was peer pressure for years.
I picked "mother" because it bears the full weight of judgement, disappointment, and nagging. :D

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Yes, it took playing Elvenar to realize the Canadians only ever have to "go make supper" or their "supper is ready", but they never eat any dinners. I missed the opportunity to ask if they invite everyone over to have a big Thanksgiving supper when we were celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving instead of doing the FA.
Depends. We actually grew up using dinner as any meal after noon but before 5:00pm

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
It does depend, but yeah most use supper. I get accused of being 'posh' on the EN realms, though, and often say, the evening meal to avoid the debate over 'tea', which to me, is a beverage. :)

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I am unable to provide that kind of sensitive information, but do not let that colour your impression of me.
Ok, we'll split the difference and pretend like you're from South Africa. Be careful! They're experiencing a water crisis.

I'm just south of the Maple Leaf region and we use Mum, supper and colour.
Snacks don't count as dinner though.