• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Culture help

DeletedUser22511

I have fairly active FS and they mostly give out culture polish but I seem to be in less 150% when I collect my goods ever since progressing in game. I like my FSs and not plan on changing them at the moment.
Just timing doesn't work out or something.....like some people polish at night or in morning and it's not enough to reach 170%....or 8hr mark expires when I collect my goods.
for both worlds.

I have big culture buildings from phoenix event (ones that give 800 or 600)....and most of time I need all 5 of them or more polished in order to get 170%....
I am wondering should I be building smaller culture buildings that can be polished...or do I just have too many factories....
I keep 3-4 factories in each tiers (building tier 3 in process or going to), cut down on armories to 2 or keeping more of them until I need space for something else, I tried to keep min residents and use culture/pop buildings.
if you are looking at my city plan, if I have space, i'm going to use them to build tier 3 factories so there aren't much room right now to build culture building. (lamppost is temporary just to increase culture % at the moment)

my culture without polish is less than half of what's required to get 170%. Like for instance, you need 5000 for 170% culture bonus, I have less than 2500.
Is this normal? should I be building more culture buildings?
I feel like losing out whenever I collect goods
I do/plan on upgrading roads when I can too. My city does say culture plz but some neighbors just give it to main hall....sometimes I feel like I should just not collect coin on main hall so to force people to polish culture instead....but guess that doesn't really work? since you get 20 max/day, it only happens 2-3 times a day.

back in chapter 1 or 2, I use to be able to get 170% without culture polish....but nowadays I don't anymore when I need it.
when you are in higher chapter, do you give up on culture like I am at the moment?

NightshadeCS

My small(er) city in Winy has trouble getting up to 170%. I don't stress it too much, since I don't feel like I am behind on any goods. I am hoping some of the math-whiz folks will weigh in here and let you know a few more specifics.

I would suggest grabbing up some of the smaller culture buildings from events and the crafting in the Magic Academy. You can place these down in little empty corners to help raise your overall culture. A lot of the ones in the crafting menu have fantastic culture-per-square amounts.

Kekune

I also went through a culture slump for a few chapters. It just got hard to have enough space. As I grew, I was able to get back up to higher culture levels.

You've got a good strategy with upgrading roads. Don't forget to replace old culture buildings with new ones - they get much stronger pretty quickly sometimes. And consider wonders that give culture: the watchtower ruins and the monastery/sanctuary both give good culture after a few levels.

DeletedUser20951

Long, long ago, in my first incarnation, I used to try to keep a culture bonus, but I dislike relying on the schedules of others. As it stands now, and has since early on in my cities' growth, I haven't been capable of reaching a bonus even with every single culture building polished. I've never actually worked out the math (BEGONE, FOUL CALCULATING), but I believe it gets to the point of such diminishing returns from the culture and space required that it becomes detrimental to progression in exchange for the increase in supplies and coin, and I keep my culture at the bare minimum for upgrading and expansion. Now, if the bonus affected goods output, my view would likely be much different.

DeletedUser22511

Long, long ago, in my first incarnation, I used to try to keep a culture bonus, but I dislike relying on the schedules of others. As it stands now, and has since early on in my cities' growth, I haven't been capable of reaching a bonus even with every single culture building polished. I've never actually worked out the math (BEGONE, FOUL CALCULATING), but I believe it gets to the point of such diminishing returns from the culture and space required that it becomes detrimental to progression in exchange for the increase in supplies and coin, and I keep my culture at the bare minimum for upgrading and expansion. Now, if the bonus affected goods output, my view would likely be much different.
oh wait so culture polish does not increase goods produced? (tier 1,2,3)
This whole time I thought it does and it was main reason I was going for high culture bonus. If it's just supply and coin I won't be so aggressive about it.

Thanks everyone for reply :)

DeletedUser20951

oh wait so culture polish does not increase goods produced? (tier 1,2,3)
This whole time I thought it does and it was main reason I was going for high culture bonus. If it's just supply and coin I won't be so aggressive about it.

Thanks everyone for reply :)
It's really not very clear on what the culture bonus does (unless you like reading small print and hovering over all production tooltips), and the game has various "Did You Know?" thingies and chapter quests that make it sound like this is quite important to maintain. I wish it did boost goods.

You're welcome!

DeletedUser22511

you are right!
I can barely have any culture bonus even if all my culture buildings are polished. It's near impossible unless you have multiple extra expansions just to put culture buildings in.
I officially given up. I'm going to just break all neighborly help enchantments to fragments when needed.

Vergazi

I more or less gave up on culture bonus a few weeks ago when it became obvious to me at least that going into dwarves as a F2P player it was going to be a tough go. So I got out my trustly sell tool and zapped again and again and again until I had room to grow and upgrade and, more importantly, make room for the settlement buildings. I make up for the deficit of supplies with event buildings that give them and supply instants on occasion. I still like to help neighbors though just to be a good neighbor, help those who help me with trades and to get up to 3 more relics a day from the help chests.

DeletedUser20951

I can barely have any culture bonus even if all my culture buildings are polished. It's near impossible unless you have multiple extra expansions just to put culture buildings in.
PREACH IT. I am genuinely baffled that the neighborly aid requested the most seems to be culture, and often flinch a bit when I encounter cities nearly half-full of culture buildings. So much useful stuff could be placed in their stead! I almost never directly criticize a player's tactics, though (they usually have to insult me or others in some manner to provoke that response), since everybody has the right to play as they wish and variety is cool.

Crowella

As Ashrem said, a lot of us have enough supplies. I choose to have a few high-value culture buildings. My fellowship is pretty faithful in giving neighborly helps, so I'm able to maintain a 160% bonus (up from 125%) at least 50% of the time. That's a fair amount more supplies and therefore fewer workshops. (I have one culture-only event building; the others are my Wishing Well and fire phoenix.) Basically I'm a lot better off if other players hit my culture rather than my main hall.

Socrates28

As with many of the previous commentators, if I have a culture bonus all well and good. However, trying to maintain a high culture bonus becomes way too expensive in real estate to make it worth while once you reach a certain level of development. If you can get it great! Even with many helps I am rarely able to get over 125% bonus (not counting spell boosts wich can add more % wise.)

kctanzen

I aim for at least 125% unbuffed culture .. so that my EE spells when used are fully effective.
I have quite a few extra expansions (lots of scouting and diamond purchased) so that makes my city not entirely typical.
I am grotesquely over budget on culture right now -- re-working layout for elementals and to see what I get from the Solstice event before making firm plans.

Culture bonus is much, much more effective if you are able to log on frequently, preferably about once an hour, to zip through and do bread cycles on workshops. An hour gives me time to do odds and ends, take a quick break, and get back to whatever actual things needed to be done. 15 minute sets are even better, but that doesn't allow much time for meaningful headway on meaningful projects.
Also helps to time big set collects when your bonus is at a high point, as most of them also adjust for culture.