• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

CULTURE!

DeletedUser

Culture needs to be reworked. I have six protector of the woods and three floating islands and I still can't get above 100% without neighbor aid. Also, only two players have been giving me aid to my culture buildings regularly and lately they HAVE NOT BEEN GIVING AID. <-- That is the biggest problem.

In order for non diamond buyers to have good culture bonuses they have to drastically sacrifice building space to build culture buildings instead. Better culture buildings which have better culture bonuses, both for diamond and non diamond players should be introduced.

DeletedUser

just a thought... you only have maybe 1/6 of your city dedicated to culture

DeletedUser216

You have to be patient and equilibrate your buildings in terms of space that you have, bonus that you want, missions, productions that you need ...

DeletedUser

I'm not as far along as you, and maybe things are different at your level, but here are my stats:

Culture bonus: 170% (without neighbor help)
Total land area: 500
Area spent on culture (not including roads): 154 (30.8% total land area)

...seems to be working for me since I keep rising in the rankings.

DeletedUser

I'm not as far along as you, and maybe things are different at your level, but here are my stats:

Culture bonus: 170% (without neighbor help)
Total land area: 500
Area spent on culture (not including roads): 154 (30.8% total land area)

...seems to be working for me since I keep rising in the rankings.
I did the calculations for myself as well, I have 138/450 tiles dedicated to culture, which is 30% for me as well.
I'm at 160% without polish and 170% with.

DeletedUser43

In beta, I have about 1.5 culture buildings for every single house. That is a LOT of culture. I guess they do this in order to get people to buy diamonds. But, on top of all those culture buildings, I need 7 neighbors help just to get my culture level up to 160%.

Eventually, you discover it just isn't worth it and you try to keep your culture level at 125% if you can. As I have my city here doing.

DeletedUser43

:D Awww. Tyvm!! I really appreciate it. I have been on cloud nine all day.

DeletedUser

In beta, I have about 1.5 culture buildings for every single house. That is a LOT of culture. I guess they do this in order to get people to buy diamonds. But, on top of all those culture buildings, I need 7 neighbors help just to get my culture level up to 160%.

Eventually, you discover it just isn't worth it and you try to keep your culture level at 125% if you can. As I have my city here doing.

I figured this is their strategy and it makes sense. They know that there are players who will want to have the best bonus and will have to buy diamonds in order to do so. Guess I will just have to be happy with the lower bonus. I still only have two other players who regularly give me AID on a daily basis.

DeletedUser64

675 total space
159 culture 59x2 of 37/sq 17x1 of 36/sq and 2x12 of 33,3/sq (4366 564 800 = 5730, roughly 36/square average) 6412 culture with streets (67x10)
24% of my total space for a bit less than 150% bonus but tomorrow i gonna have cyclons, and thats a massive 48,8/square culture and third best non premium culture building (can be boosted for 440) and is only 3x3 in size
so i can have 150% boost for 7821 which is 18 cyclons which is 162 squares
4 dead ends, 5 free squares, a bit of work to swap things around and the cobbled roads to doubble up my road culture

DeletedUser615

I have only one neighbor that's helped me twice, one that's helped once. I help them all every day so I can get coins. Most of them appear to have started playing then stopped. Since you can't force people to help, something should be changed...at least in my opinion.

DeletedUser

My city is 550 in area and 22% dedicated to culture, mostly low level stuff that can easily be doubled in efficiency. I'm at 125 bonus, another deli will put me back at 150.

DeletedUser503

Culture is about building as much as you need to support the buildings you want. It's a ratio that you must decide. You can build a minimal amount of culture to support buildings in your city, or you can build extra to get your production boosts. I use the below spreadsheet to calculate my distribution of buildings, free space, and culture versus the entire size of my city. I dedicate 51% of my city to culture boots if you include streets, or 36% of my city to maintain a 170% boost. In truth, at this time, I've overprovisioned on culture because I'm planning for my next upgrade phase for residences and the next city expansion I'll pick up. This is a big part of the game, in truth, managing efficiency.

Tj2pnAg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Valtitude

I've only been playing for a month or so, but things are moving along well. This evening I received the first polish of the flying boat from a very helpful neighbor and another neighbor motivated the builders. Thing is, how do I take advantage of this generosity? I know how to reciprocate the favor but not how to use the help for my city. Wiki doesn't give any clues. Thanks.

DeletedUser503

The builder bonus will be used on the next time you assign the builder to a task. The polish is applied for four hours from the time it is given and then goes away.

Valtitude

I discovered the builder part just now. As for the polish on the flying boat well, I'll have to hope my neighbor is generous a few days from now. Thanks for responding to my post.

DeletedUser688

i have 325 squares
48 squares are taken up by the 1x3 trees, each tree has 67
22 signposts 1x1, 21 culture
and i've slowly been converting my roads into simple trails and it has done wonders for my culture. i'm at 170%, 196 culture points above the required amount.

so i'm maintaining 170% with 70/325 squares dedicated to culture..or 21.5%

24 street squares have a simple trail on them for an extra 5 culture, i'm not counting these toward the "unproductive" squares because you have to have streets anyway you may s well have the ones that improve culture.
I have another 30 street squares waiting to be upgraded as well
i admit, i'm not as far along as some of you guys, my main hall is level 5 and most of my residences are level 3 with a couple of 4's and i have 2 level 4 armories and a level 4 barracks and 8 lumber goods buildings at level 3.

but from this point onward, i always check before doing an upgrade, there is a harp symbol there that tells you how much culture you need for it, and i don't do anything unless i know i can still maintain the 170%.

although, sometimes i seem to get blindsided, i'll be 100 points above the needed, and i'll do a couple upgrades and come back and suddenly i'm 150 points short...which confuses me..

DeletedUser

@femaiden The higher your baseline culture requirement is, the higher the requirements get for each tier of bonus. Except, the bonus tiers jump up in large steps, resulting in:
although, sometimes i seem to get blindsided, i'll be 100 points above the needed, and i'll do a couple upgrades and come back and suddenly i'm 150 points short...which confuses me..
Stick to design basics here:
  • Maximize your use of culture buildings with the highest culture per square. (Use less space for the same bonus.)
  • Place them along the perimeter of your city. (Smaller planning area equals fewer/shorter roads.)
  • Consider that the relative benefit of 150% vs. 125% is +20%, whereas 160% vs. 150% gives +6.67% and 170% vs. 160% is +6.25%. Judge your production/culture tradeoffs accordingly.