• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Does the game crash on you?

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Tried this. I have GeForce GTX980M graphics card which I'm thinking helps? I use Chrome for pretty much everything. I tried this game in Edge. Yup. There's the crash people are talking about. That leads me to believe that it isn't the computer someone is using which is usually one of my first guesses. I guess Edge sucks.

DeletedUser3507

Pretty much try using chat, like 1 charter per 5 seconds lol...

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Edge is awful for Elvenar. Internet Explorer is a little less awful. Firefox isn't bad, unless you get to the thing where it won't load all the way, then it's useless for good, near as I can tell. Chrome has always worked best for me. If you want a second iteration of Elvenar running at the same time for another account, I'd suggest installing Canary (the Chrome stable-beta)

DeletedUser2207

So I did try updating my graphics driver... I downloaded +ran a program by the graphics card manufacturer that "upgraded" my driver by rolling it back to a slightly older version, which had no improvement on display of Elvenar on non-Edge browsers. It seems AMD is no longer making new drivers for my graphics card, which may be part of the problem, but when I tried a different flash game on chrome that game displays just fine so who knows

I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my graphics problems!!!

But for now, until I can run non-fuzzy non-flickering Elvenar on a different browser, browser scores are useless to me :p

SunsetDanar

It's easy to blame the browser for everything that malfunctions. We do know that some are much more Elvenar friendly than others and they have been ranked in other posts so I won't get into that here. Those of you you with hot rod graphics cards probably have few (If any) issues with Shock Wave crashes. So...It's the hardware that contributes to the cause. Any game that is flash driven for graphics will be prone to problems. An "update" to your current graphics card does little for it's capabilities...It's still the same card. Don't waste your time with that. The only way to upgrade your graphics card is to replace it with one that is compatible with your motherboard. Don't confuse server issues or resets with crashes either as they are unrelated.

DeletedUser3507

Nice thought but laptop don't fit that, have you tried replacing a laptop graphics card? ;)
That work great for desktops but not so great with our laptops....

SunsetDanar

Nice thought but laptop don't fit that, have you tried replacing a laptop graphics card? ;)
That work great for desktops but not so great with our laptops....

Uhh, yeah. Good point but I'm sure you realize that I was referring to PC users. It is possible to upgrade graphics capability on some higher end laptops but if you didn't pony up for around 2K initially, give or take a bit, for it you may be out of luck in that regard.

Last edited:

SunsetDanar

OK so maybe I'm missing something. If updates don't do anything then why would NVIDIA regularly update the drivers? :confused:

NVIDEA releases updates every few weeks or so. Other graphics card manufactures do as well. This not to enhance your current cards performance but to simply maintain the performance level that it's initially intended to.

SunsetDanar

GeForce GTX 1060, still loads of crashes. I know it's not the best, but a game as simple as this should run perfectly on my card. You shouldn't need an $800 graphics card for flash games.....

A bit long in the tooth as graphics cards go but, yeah, I agree that it should handle flash games with little issue. To understand what and where most flash programs come from, Shockwave is a 3rd party graphics/video player and belongs to Adobe so it's an add on for browsers just like Adobe is. Some of the earlier versions of Shockwave is a Macromedia product and is too old and that is probably why it frequently crashes. You can defeat that problem by simply downloading the latest Shockwave version. So, no...You don't need an $800.00 graphics card but you do need one that runs well with (and likes) the rest of your system...

EDIT: I should also add that Shockwave does not give you update alerts like Adobe does so whatever version is in your system is what is being run...Regardless of age. If you have Adobe and upgrade it when you are prompted to do so, you are not updating Shockwave as well.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
A bit long in the tooth as graphics cards go
o_O The 1060 is still #3 as nothing better has been released since it launched last summer, and the top 2 are only better if you are using more than one monitor and/or 4K. Top end games on a 55" 1080P TV play at 60 FPS on max settings without a drop.
Flash is simply old and Elvenar is most likely poorly optimized. There isn't much point in having the devs improving their end of it when moving to HTML5 is going to happen anyways.
I should also add that Shockwave does not give you update alerts like Adobe does so whatever version is in your system is what is being run...Regardless of age. If you have Adobe and upgrade it when you are prompted to do so, you are not updating Shockwave as well.
I was under the impression that chrome auto updates, which updates chromes version of flash, which updates all plugins.
I googled around and didn't find any different info on it, and I don't recall ever manually looking for an update yet when I did just now, everything is on the latest versions, so it would seem that for chrome at least everything is automatic.

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Shockwave is not Flash. Shockwave has not worked in Chrome for several years (since versions around 45). Elvenar does not use Shockwave. Shockwave is irrelevant to any discussion of Elvenar.

A Google-built version of Flash is included in Chrome. Chrome does not use the stand-alone Flash installer. It is not possible to run Chrome without it and Flash being anything other than fully upgraded unless you have gone under the hood and disabled updates deliberately. If Chrome is updated, Flash-in-Chrome is updated.

Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Edge, all use the stock-Flash from Adobe, which must be installed and updated separately from the browser.

None of this is guaranteed to apply in any way to Apple computers or mobile devices and tablets.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3507

Then here's a question, why do I get shockwave crashes when doing world visits?

I agree with what you have said but the shockwave crashes causes reloads because the plugin quits responding. And asks if you want to restart the plugin which is a reload. And if it hasn't worked for along time, why does Google still include it?

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Elvenar does not use Shockwave. Shockwave is irrelevant to any discussion of Elvenar.
The wife uses Opera, and gets "the sad lego" quite often when doing nothing other than elvenar
Crashed.png

And I get them on chrome too, but of course I can't make it happen now for a screenshot:mad::rolleyes:
Crashed.png

There we go, just had to go world map>city>map>city and crashed it no problem

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
That's a mix of marketing and lazy programming. Adobe stuck "Shockwave" in front of the names of several of their products 2 decades ago to try to boost use of the combined platform. Flash is is what is crashing. The presence of "shockwave" in the message is meaningless.

(edit: Go here, and click the "Check Now" button. I guarantee Shockwave is not installed on your browser. I don't know what Opera is doing, but am more than 50% sure they are using Firefox or chrome code, which means they are not either. Shockwave was never upgraded from NPAPI to PPAPI, and none of the major browsers allow NPAPI extensions to run because of security flaws in the design.)

There's an extensive discussion of this in the firefox (mozilla) support forums from a few years ago: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1037000. As long as Adobe officially calls it "Shockwave Flash" there will be confusion.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3507

From that site...
"Adobe Flash Player" and "Shockwave Flash" are the same thing - the latter is the technical term of the plugin that adobe kept for compatibility reasons after it acquired the technology from another company Macromedia....

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
GeForce GTX 1060, still loads of crashes. I know it's not the best, but a game as simple as this should run perfectly on my card. You shouldn't need an $800 graphics card for flash games.....

I don't get it :confused: I'm guessing my GeForce GTX980M that came with my laptop is older than yours since my laptop is probably pushing 3 years old and was theoretically the best at the time. So why would you get crashes when I don't? Not being smart! Really curious

SoggyShorts