• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Drop-down list for declinable quests

Gandelf

I very often "waste" my activity because of all the clicking. For example, it's tournament time. I have a declinable quest to collect 4 relics, and I could complete this quest 5 times with the provinces I can tourney in. But I have to click through 20-odd declinable quests to get back to the relics one. And each one requires 3 clicks--open the quest, decline it, confirm decline. The boxes are not even in the same place for each click, so I have to move the mouse and click about 60 times for each repeat of the quest. And it's not just the clicking. It also takes up awful of my playing time.

Please could we have a drop-down list that we can pick the quest we want.

Moho

Chef
I don't think game designers would agree with a drop-down list. It would negatively affect the narrative nature of this part of the playing activity, and they want to create a story upon which to build an ethos and a myth-like game.

Iyapo1

@Gandelf

The developers have indicated that they do not want to encourage rolling quests so I doubt they will do anything that makes it easier.

As an avid quest cycler I feel your pain!

Yogi Dave

To show how much progress has been made in this area:
Quest overhaul: Beta Nov. 2016
Quest cycling: This forum Feb. 2017

Here we are Feb. 2021 with the same wishes. The beta one mentions it came from comments made earlier by a few still active players including @SoggyShorts. The thread ends with this comment by the beta community manager on Dec. 27, 2016:
"We won't need a poll for this idea. It's something that is already being planned so we'll approve this thread right away :) "

I guess we just need to keep pushing.

Deleted User - 1178646

Those quest are abandoned for a reason, today they could be patched but in 2015 they could not.

Let me explain:
In 2015 we had more interesting quest, but with cycling quest we could pick whatever we want and build city's around it.
Why build a level 17 factory if a level 1 + a 24h production quest gave you more goods.
Why build workshops is you can get as many supplies as you like using questcycling.

So they tried to fix this, on beta they introduced a "skip quest" limit. as a result most beta towns became broken overnight as everyone used quest to supplement there supplies. nobody had enough workshops placed and all players ran away and abandoned there towns.

As a result that change was reverted and never implemented to the live worlds but it was still an issue:
They then solved it in the following way.

• The lowered the rewards for the 24h level 1 factory production quest in multiple steps, since that had not the desired effect they eventually removed the rewards completely and changed it to the boring one you see today.
  • They stopped developing these quests, this way it did not break current towns but over time it would become so annoying that people would start building workshops and abandon these quests. this is why you see no longer an improvement after the dwaven chapter.
This actually worked and today very very very few people rely on quests for there city.
This means that limitations on how many times you could skip a quest "would be possible" today.

I am all for that change, this way they can revamp that system and reintroduce interesting quests again that are actually good. with rewards like goods, seeds, mana ect. things that are actually rewarding.

Changing it to a drop down list would only create a bad incentive for new players to this game to build there cities around those quest like we did in 2015. it's the wrong way to go. it can never work unless the rewards are horrible which makes it useless. limiting to skipping 1 quest per day but creating nice rewards would be the way to go for me.

I would love to see new quest, and quest and rewards that reflect the chapter you are actually in

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I am all for that change, this way they can revamp that system and reintroduce interesting quests again that are actually good.
I like the idea of using the FA interface to give us 16 different questlines all at the same time.
Some military, some exploration, some social, some tournament etc.
Some repeating (but certainly not all!)
Some huge milestones/achievements like 1,000 visits/tournament encounters/beverages and then 5,000

The possibilities are quite literally endless.
I'd take on the task of fleshing out this idea and making a huge community based suggestion for the developers but I'm in an
Elvenar= meh mood and just can't seem to care enough. If anyone more optimistic want's to take a shot I'd assist, but I don't think I'm willing to head such a project.

Yogi Dave

Changing it to a drop down list would only create a bad incentive for new players to this game to build there cities around those quest like we did in 2015. it's the wrong way to go.
Good point. Nice to know there are people around with knowledge of the history and consequences.
I would love to see new quest, and quest and rewards that reflect the chapter you are actually in
That would be nice. I ignore the quests unless I stumble on one or I feel like I haven't met my click quota for the day. However, when I started, I really needed those quest since I got ahead of tutorial quest which made progress tough.

Deleted User - 1178646

I like the idea of using the FA interface to give us 16 different questlines all at the same time.
Some huge milestones/achievements like 1,000 visits/tournament encounters/beverages and then 5,000

I'd take on the task of fleshing out this idea and making a huge community based suggestion for the developers but I'm in an
Elvenar= meh mood and just can't seem to care enough. If anyone more optimistic want's to take a shot I'd assist, but I don't think I'm willing to head such a project.

That would be mood, it would not really serve a function as it take ages to reach those.

people in general want to have quick results. you can already see the whining start 1000 neighbourly helps? are you insane, it takes to long, it's to boring ect.
I rather see quest like, spend 50 KP in a wonder, 50.000 mana. collect 50.000 sentient goods get 10K seeds. level up a building to level 20 or higher gain 1 5KP instant ect. 24h production gain a MM spell. collect 5m coins 75000 supplies an interesting line of different quest that you have to do in order (skip once per day) so you cannot abuse it but it creates fun rewards instead of a once in a week, month, year quest.

SoggyShorts

it take ages to reach those.
people in general want to have quick results.
I rather see quest like
You missed the point. With 16! quest givers you can have ALL of that.
You can have 5 that repeat fast, 5 that repeat slow, 5 long that don't repeat and 1 that just tracks lifetime achievements.
Like I said, literally anything is possible with 16 simultaneous questlines.
Hell, there's room for 2 quest interfaces like the FA plus the event guy, so you could work on 32 at the same time if you want.

note: the ones you like that are basically just the exact same as we have now but advanced to new chapters hold zero interest for me, but that doesn't matter, because with 32 quest givers there's going to be something for everyone.

Think about the quest systems that are the most successful in gaming like WoW:
There are storyline quests, side quests, lifetime achievement quests, seasonal quests, daily quests, event quests etc

MORE = (potentially)BETTER

Last edited:

Deleted User - 1178646

You missed the point. With 16! quest givers you can have ALL of that.
You can have 5 that repeat fast, 5 that repeat slow, 5 long that don't repeat and 1 that just tracks lifetime achievements.
Like I said, literally anything is possible with 16 simultaneous questlines.
Hell, there's room for 2 quest interfaces like the FA plus the event guy, so you could work on 32 at the same time if you want.

note: the ones you like that are basically just the exact same as we have now but advanced to new chapters hold zero interest for me, but that doesn't matter, because with 32 quest givers there's going to be something for everyone.

Think about the quest systems that are the most successful in gaming like WoW:
There are storyline quests, side quests, lifetime achievement quests, seasonal quests, daily quests, event quests etc

MORE = (potentially)BETTER

Repeat fast means it cant be interesting and the rewards have to be absolutly trash making them pointless and they better not exist.
Repeat slow? can you guarantee slow, every single time you have to consider at every update in game how will it affect the quesline

you have to make sure that people don't abuse it and build there towns around it.
if the rewards are interesting you will build your town around it.

if you have a cyle of 40 quest in lets say chapter 15, it will be impossible to build your town around all 40 quests and abuse the shit out of it.
You can do a few, maybe more than a few but after a little time you will get stuck. and need to wait x time to progress to the next ones. it's fairly easy to design enough "showstoppers" in it to limit your ability to use them while still create something interesting to do.

• 1. unlimited questing making it super easy, easier than 2015
  • 2. unlimited questing thats a little slowe but still has no downsides
  • 3. very long quest, similar to mysterious chests?
  • 4. lifetime brag thingy between players.
point 1 and 2 are just problematic. unless you want use to do quests that only reward 500 supplies or 1000 gold coins. in which case you should just better not waste the dev time and keep the current useless ones.

SoggyShorts

@CrazyWizard
It's exactly your negative attitude why I'm not willing to take on this task. Heck, it's surely part of why inno won't either.
Let's face it, you are angry. You are bitter. There is probably nothing that will make you happy anymore.
I mean scroll back up and have a re-read. I offered up an idea that allows for literally every imaginable kind of quest and multiple onjes at the same time, and all you can do is try to find a flaw with a few examples of what's possible.
I can't say I don't understand, but it is unfortunate that inno has turned you into this person.

Deleted User - 1178646

I am not angry, nor bitter. I have posted that I am all for change, but not in the way suggested.

I am agains change as suggested as this is something that history has learned us.
History is there to learn from.

From the past we have seen twice that "unlimited easy quest" has created issues.
Once was the point I made in 2015, but more recently we have seen the unlimited event quests that went completely out of control. people with 14 mermaids paradise, after more modigfications to make it more difficult we seen people with 18+ bears.

This shows us the danger of "unlimited". as soon as unlimited is part of it we have seen people (ab)use it outside the scope of intention.
I has taken a long time and was "eleminated" past 2015 by creating an envoirment where annoyment made it impractical and no longer fun to use it.
So the last thing we should want is to create a circumstance in which it might return. but if change means keeping it boring then why bother?

Lets learn from the past and not create the same mistakes again.
I love to see new life being breath in the quest line, make it more fun and interesting than it ever was, but to do that we have to make some sacrifices. this is what we learned from the past

SoggyShorts

I have posted that I am all for change, but not in the way suggested.
In what way?
All I suggested was a way where any kind of quest could be implemented, the only real part of my idea was to use the FA interface so that we could
1. not decline click to death
2. have more than 1 quest at a time
Absolutely everything else was on the table but you only come with negative views and problems, no solutions.

Unlimited quests are bad because there's a potential for abuse? I agree 100%, watch this:
Poof! no unlimited quests! See how simple that fix was?

Vigali

I think this is a great idea. I'd support this even if it didn't give you real usable rewards, and only gave Achievement Points (like on console/PC gaming). It would definitely spark the completionist in me. I'd probably want it to be couched in "at your chapter" terms, though -- so if you have to make 5,000 beverages, they need to be made in workshops at your current chapter to count, to avoid people using shantytowns to quickly complete things that should take time.

SoggyShorts

I think this is a great idea. I'd support this even if it didn't give you real usable rewards, and only gave Achievement Points (like on console/PC gaming). It would definitely spark the completionist in me. I'd probably want it to be couched in "at your chapter" terms, though -- so if you have to make 5,000 beverages, they need to be made in workshops at your current chapter to count, to avoid people using shantytowns to quickly complete things that should take time.
Ah yes, good call, and we know from previous events that the developers can code quests to match your chapter.
About the reward: Often games give cosmetic enhancements or titles for these, and that's something I'd like to see.

For this particular example either a skin that you could apply to your workshops (looks like a brewery?)or the ability to change your name to "SoggyShorts the Brewmaster"

Deleted User - 1178646

In what way?
All I suggested was a way where any kind of quest could be implemented, the only real part of my idea was to use the FA interface so that we could
Absolutely everything else was on the table but you only come with negative views and problems, no solutions.

Unlimited quests are bad because there's a potential for abuse? I agree 100%, watch this:
Poof! no unlimited quests! See how simple that fix was?
No solutions?

Maybe you should read it all again, because I did post a solution, and I even suggesten quests and rewards. maybe you did not want to read it?
I posted that you should not have more than 1 decline per day. (the solution from 2015 they could not implement at that time but can now) this limits your ability to constantly pick whatever is the most interesting. the code is already there they just need to flip a switch.

I love the idea of "brewmaster" and skins custom profiles I am an advocate for for a long time now. but I think they should use it to improve profits so they can keep up the investments in the game instead of giving it away.

So you now suggest that you can do every quest only once per period? every quest has a delay timer to once per day/week/month or whatever?
This is somewhat similar to what I suggested which you failed to see in your anger otherwise you would have taken dat into account in your suggestion.

It's also quite different from the FA model where once finished you can repeat.
But with a hard limit on what you can do with the "FA model" that would work.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@SoggyShorts @CrazyWizard
Are you sure you two don't just enjoy arguing with each other? I don't see where you disagree with one another at all! I've quoted all your posts in order, removing the jabs/argumentative language/p---ing contest words and this is what it looks like:
This means that limitations on how many times you could skip a quest "would be possible" today.
I am all for that change, this way they can revamp that system and reintroduce interesting quests again that are actually good. with rewards like goods, seeds, mana ect. things that are actually rewarding.

From the past we have seen twice that "unlimited easy quest" has created issues.
the only real part of my idea was to use the FA interface so that we could
Absolutely everything else on the table.
Unlimited quests are bad because there's a potential for abuse? I agree 100%:
no unlimited quests!
you should not have more than 1 decline per day. (the solution from 2015 they could not implement at that time but can now) this limits your ability to constantly pick whatever is the most interesting. the code is already there they just need to flip a switch.
you suggest that you can do every quest only once per period? every quest has a delay timer to once per day/week/month or whatever?
This is somewhat similar to what I suggested.
It's also quite different from the FA model where once finished you can repeat.
But with a hard limit on what you can do with the "FA model" that would work.
Together, I think you are both building a great idea, it's just hard to see it when it's framed as an argument!

SoggyShorts

Together, I think you are both building a great idea, it's just hard to see it when it's framed as an argument!
Thanks for trying samido.
Re-reading I see it all started with a misunderstanding that by FA interface crazy thought I meant 16 never-ending cycles which I did not mean at all.
But my heart wasn't really in it to start with and I think I've lost what little interest I had now.

Last edited: