• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

E-mail in fellowship

Trillian

I tried to write a list of things in an E-mail for my fellowship. I typed the list numbered 1 through 10 and it was all nice and neat. But when I sent it out to the fellowship. It was sent all messed up. Dont know how to explain it. But when I typed in number 1 then what I wanted then dropped down a line typed 2 and wrote what I wanted and so forth with every number up to 10. Then sent the message and everything was all over the place. Best I can describe. Does anyone know why this may have happened.

Trillian

Is there a trick or anything I can do so it does not do this. I've read some overviews for Fellowships and they have had lists of stuff and it turns out correct and nice and neat. I'm assuming there has to be a way. Thank you

Yogi Dave

When I've wanted to send messages out that are longer than 2000 characters. I'd put the text in the message, noticed where it cut off at 2000 and copied that to a file at a good break point. Then I'd do the same with what was left and repeat until I had a set of messages. It if was 6, I put at the top of the last page 6 of 6. Post it and quickly added 5 of 6 and repeat. It's a pain but seemed to be the best way to allow people to read from the top and if they went to the bottom as most message threads work, they'd see 6 of 6 which would help them to scroll up to the proper place in the message thread.

From the beginning we've argued with Inno about the extreme weakness of the in-game messaging and chat. I mean, come on. A 15-character buffer for chat. Sure you can put 270 characters in, but you only see 15 of them. Tough to edit. Inno has always come back with it being a 3rd party product they are using and can't do anything about it. They did get rid of the whisper command but have kept the /who command which only works in the browser. There may be other differences between the app and the browser versions, but I just do browser so don't know.

BrinDarby

Inno has always come back with it being a 3rd party product they are using and can't do anything about it.
If thats the case, in 7 years better stuff is out there.
Prolly stuff that would also make Discord redundant.
So, if it is 3rd Party, shame on Inno for not updating
to a better product that would include global/world
chat and keep it ingame.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
I am pretty sure they redid the chat themselves a couple years ago (If I remember correctly), but they just made it the same as the one they were outsourcing, lol. The reason that they keep saying is, that the base code of game is so old that messing with stuff causes bugs so they don't like messing with anything they don't have too. I am not a coder so can't say whether this is true or not, but they do have a fair amount of bugs that get into the game.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Is there a trick or anything I can do so it does not do this. I've read some overviews for Fellowships and they have had lists of stuff and it turns out correct and nice and neat. I'm assuming there has to be a way. Thank you
When I write a list in MS Word to copy and paste into the messaging system, I always make sure to have extra spaces between the paragraphs (at least one more than seems necessary, looking at it in Word, for each paragraph.) That helps a lot because it keeps my message from all running together.

BrinDarby

@Trillian ,
It all depends on the type/length of the list you
plan to send out. Keep in mind no formatting
other than auto-wraparound. Lets take a list I
have sent oout in the past as an example.

An Event list of daily prizes, composed of :
#, day, size, description.
1 day 1 3x4 pop/culture/mana
24 day 19 troop instant

Sure, thats the need'd info but its not easily
read like in a table. so we do the following to help.
# , we'll assume between 1-99, so 2 digits
day, again day + 2 digits
size, either 3x4 or ....... if its something shapeless
desc., (kiss) keep it short/simple
(any column can be widened with ohh say
<space>char<space> like " . " )

Thus the orig example becomes : ( +more )

01 . Day 02 . 3x4 . pop/culture/mana
02 . Day 08 . ........ . troop instant
99 . Day 17 . 5x2 . seeds/orcs

obviously, once you have your full message ready,
you can add a "." in anywhere stuff doesnt line up.
Just make sure ya preview your msg.

Darielle

When I've wanted to send messages out that are longer than 2000 characters. I'd put the text in the message, noticed where it cut off at 2000 and copied that to a file at a good break point. Then I'd do the same with what was left and repeat until I had a set of messages. It if was 6, I put at the top of the last page 6 of 6. Post it and quickly added 5 of 6 and repeat. It's a pain but seemed to be the best way to allow people to read from the top and if they went to the bottom as most message threads work, they'd see 6 of 6 which would help them to scroll up to the proper place in the message thread.

From the beginning we've argued with Inno about the extreme weakness of the in-game messaging and chat. I mean, come on. A 15-character buffer for chat. Sure you can put 270 characters in, but you only see 15 of them. Tough to edit. Inno has always come back with it being a 3rd party product they are using and can't do anything about it. They did get rid of the whisper command but have kept the /who command which only works in the browser. There may be other differences between the app and the browser versions, but I just do browser so don't know.
That's my method too. :)

Yogi Dave

The reason that they keep saying is, that the base code of game is so old that messing with stuff causes bugs so they don't like messing with anything they don't have too. I am not a coder so can't say whether this is true or not, but they do have a fair amount of bugs that get into the game.
I am a coder and have seen code where no one wants to tread. One company where I worked had a set of code that was so integrated into the product, it couldn't be replaced. You were in for trouble if you inherited it because it had grown so bloated and worked on by so many people that you were sure to break something when you added almost anything. The best thing to do was to have the next new person do something in it so it became there's. After all, you got it because you were the new kid on the block. Kind of a cruel hazing - maybe.

Darielle

I am a coder and have seen code where no one wants to tread. One company where I worked had a set of code that was so integrated into the product, it couldn't be replaced. You were in for trouble if you inherited it because it had grown so bloated and worked on by so many people that you were sure to break something when you added almost anything. The best thing to do was to have the next new person do something in it so it became there's. After all, you got it because you were the new kid on the block. Kind of a cruel hazing - maybe.
My son had the same problem. He was the new young geek with a major transportation company. He was actually called "Good Kevin" and he inherited code from "Bad Kevin," a former employee ... I think they figured since his name was Kevin he could tackle Bad Kevin's code. He told me it was a nightmare just doing anything without breaking something else, but after about 6 months, he had somehow fixed all of Bad Kevin's bugs. The name Good Kevin stuck for the next 3 years while he remained at that company. They even had a picture of all the employees and he was listed as Good Kevin plus his last name. I thought it was hilarious.

Myne

Oh Wise One

That's the way I do it as well.