• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Early Thoughts on the New Chest System

DeletedUser9601

Meaning both (a) the changed percentages of prizes compared to earlier events, and (b) the rotating chest system. I'd love to hear thoughts:

The Good (kinda):
-KPs seem much easier to come by (though these instants didn't get the same "conversion boost" as AW KP rewards and tourney KP rewards)
-Runes/Relics are out of the equation (mostly)

The Expected:
-basically zero chance of using certain chests to eke out some extra Goo (and therefore maybe an 'undeserved' grand prize). In past events, the large chest would give you 23% chance to either get a refund of the cost of the chest (or get additional tokens on top of the chest cost). This obviously stinks, but I can see why they'd want to remove those random events where someone won a free Grand Prize because they kept winning tokens.
-not me personally, but some friends are annoyed at basically needing a spreadsheet open to maximize goo. Seems like Inno should either make the goo/chest be based on simple math (eg, this chest costs 100 tickets, and gives 10 goo), or start adding a "tickets per goo" tooltip to each chest.

The Bad:
-much harder to get your daily prize. Maybe that's a feature, not a bug, but its still annoying, and requires too much RNG. The odds are lower (compared to the flat 25% that the old Large Chest gave), and it seems like the ticket total costs are higher (since you rarely get the most efficient ticket-per-daily chests).
-much, much, MUCH worse non-daily prizes overall. The KPs are a nice boost, but 1hr boosters (vs 14 hour boosters from before)? 5% coin rain? I get that some of these crummy prizes are the equivalent of "Small Chest" prizes - but at least those were 5hour/15% instants before.
-spells as prizes. Such a waste of a chest slot.
-there are some chest combinations where I don't want any of the 3 options. It stinks to have to spend tickets on those chest combos just to make them go away.

My Takeaway:
Prior Major Events felt like, if I did the entire event, I'd almost "power up" my city for a month, or into the next chapter. I'd have a bunch of Coin Rains to convert into KP, I'd have a bunch of Supply Instants to fund the next AW Tech, Advanced Scout Tech, and portal construction. I'd have 200 or KP to fund an AW level. And I'd have either a bunch of good buildings, OR one amazing 3rd grand prize, or a pretty cool set structure.

Now (and again, I haven't spent my 4K+ tokens on my main account), I expect I'll have a lot more instants, but those instants will mostly be less powerful (except for the 40hr booster). I'll have a bunch of PoP/MM spells that will be nice, but aren't hard to come by on their own. And hopefully I'll have a good chunk of the daily building I'm targeting (but probably not as many instances of it as I'd like). This seems like much less bang for my buck than previous Major Events gave.

-----

I suspect a lot of this was intentional. Maybe Inno felt that full participation in Major Events gave too many rewards for active players. When also factoring in the constant stream of adventures, the fact that tourneys get easier over time (as your AWs level up), and the increased frequency of mini-events, maybe they felt Major Events gave too many rewards and trivialized the game). But if so, if this is how they want to handle it, color me disappointed. I genuinely looked forward to Major Events, because I enjoyed trying to maximize completing the quests as soon as possible to make sure I got the daily buildings I wanted.

*caveat - this is mostly my experiences on alts. My main is waiting for Day 20 to dump all tickets on the Festival Merchant.

shimmerfly

I agree that the spells and coin rains are too common and small. I had really expected more good timer instants too. I use them as fast as I get them...
I usually love the events but this one has me kind of blah. I really feel they could have done better without hurting the younger cities and still make it more worth our while.
The artwork is nice :p

DeletedUser9601

I really feel they could have done better without hurting the younger cities and still make it more worth our while.
The artwork is nice :p

Thank you for reminding me, this is a point I forgot. I am "annoyed" at the lack of instants, but it doesn't really hurt me. I'm in Elementals, and am getting past the point where supplies/gold would ever meaningfully slow me down.

But these instants can be a huge boon to growing cities. And if we want to generally speed up progress of newer players (I assume Inno wants this as well), I'd think more instants, not fewer, would be the goal. These changes to the events will only make it harder for less-advanced players to catch those in Woodelves+.

rvtdragon1

I agree with Tedious.

It would be really nice if there were an option to "respin" the chests without needing to use tickets. I know, I know, then everybody would hit the button to bring up the chest with the best odds of getting a specific prize. I have tried to get several buildings I really liked and got everything but. Most people would be happy to get just one of a specific building. Some of the buildings are better then premium pop/culture buildings. If I decide to replace my Floating Islands with a newer better building I should be able to try for the best odds. Isn't that the point fo this game and events (to get something better than what you currently have?) Although there are those that would want as many "woodelvenstock" buildings as possible. But, if that is what you want and you are willing to spend the tickets to do so then really, in the grand scheme of things would that be so bad?

DeletedUser5521

It would be really nice if there were an option to "respin" the chests without needing to use tickets.

Yes. Yes that would be very nice..
I know, I know, then everybody would hit the button to bring up the chest with the best odds of getting a specific prize.

And there will be those who will argue that this is why there isn't the re-spin option. BUT..
I have tried to get several buildings I really liked and got everything but.

Yep. Even with the 30%-chance-of-getting-the-daily-prize chest, there's still no guarantee that you'll get what you want :oops:

DeletedUser5013

I watched part of the livestream and it was explained that the rotating chests were meant to give players more choices. What good is that when all of the choices are bad?? I finished the quest list in the first few days. I used most of my tickets already and I realized a few things...1. Too many times I had 3 terrible choices, with 2 of them basically being the SAME CHEST! 2. I'm not sure I'm even going to get the 2nd grand prize in this event. I've spent over 3000 tickets (basically all I had won), and I'm not even halfway to the 2nd prize. That's insane! I've always at least got to prize #2. 3. Really, none of the prizes are "great". 4. For the past several events, I used to save all of my "tickets" (or whatever from the past) and spend them all on the 14 hour & 20 hour instants days. Those were MUCH better prizes for my playing style than what's available in this event, and you could actually win a significant amount of them to apply some real help.

Ultimately though, it's all just a free way to spend some time. I did do okay with the prize that I tried to win (Elvees stage), so I can't complain. I probably won't ever use them all (I'm finished with the Elementals chapter), but I also won some KPs & instants too. Overall- not a big fan of the rotating chests, but not so much that I'm going to stomp my feet and refuse to play this game anymore.

DeletedUser1016

I watched part of the livestream and it was explained that the rotating chests were meant to give players more choices. What good is that when all of the choices are bad?? I finished the quest list in the first few days. I used most of my tickets already and I realized a few things...1. Too many times I had 3 terrible choices, with 2 of them basically being the SAME CHEST! 2. I'm not sure I'm even going to get the 2nd grand prize in this event. I've spent over 3000 tickets (basically all I had won), and I'm not even halfway to the 2nd prize. That's insane! I've always at least got to prize #2. 3. Really, none of the prizes are "great". 4. For the past several events, I used to save all of my "tickets" (or whatever from the past) and spend them all on the 14 hour & 20 hour instants days. Those were MUCH better prizes for my playing style than what's available in this event, and you could actually win a significant amount of them to apply some real help.

Ultimately though, it's all just a free way to spend some time. I did do okay with the prize that I tried to win (Elvees stage), so I can't complain. I probably won't ever use them all (I'm finished with the Elementals chapter), but I also won some KPs & instants too. Overall- not a big fan of the rotating chests, but not so much that I'm going to stomp my feet and refuse to play this game anymore.
I'm in the same boat, I too had completed the quest line in about three [3] days and saved my spins until the "smallest house" building was available because that special building had a double "goo-day".... I ended up getting three [3] of the cute buildings [probably the best culture per square to date], but I burned thru almost all my tickets and got half way to the second grand prize. That's really bad odds .....and/or just a bad re-design of the events? I'll ultimately get the second grand prize because of the daily drop of random tickets and the daily quest line, still, using most of my tickets on a double-goo day and being so far away from the second prize is discouraging....there's absolutely no possibility now of ever getting near the third grand prize.

The other discouraging feature of this event is the Set-Buildings....they are worthless without the third [3rd] Grand Prize for advanced players because it's really the only one that provides advanced resources [i.e. seeds] and not regular goods. I know the second will give mana, but all the others have regular goods, coins and/or supplies, all of which are available elsewhere without specialty buildings.....and the second grand prize building is really no prize w/o placing other set buildings next to it.

DeletedUser1349

We have had this chest system in FoE forever. I suggest you all get used to them as Inno brings the best of FoE to Elvenar. Building upgrade buffs are also from FoE. It's all good!

ET-inf3rno

I think it is a lot better than the previous chest system. I already won 8 wishing wells with my small city and completed only 50ish quests. I calculated which chests have the best odds for winning DEs, and selecting only those. With the previous system you could win only 10-12 DEs, with this system even 14 is possible I think.

DeletedUser5013

I already won 8 wishing wells with my small city and completed only 50ish quests

So you got lucky! There were many times that the best chest I could open wasn't even at 25% for the daily prizes.

I calculated which chests have the best odds for winning DEs, and selecting only those

Doesn't the chest automatically tell you what the odds are every time? What calculating did you do?

I know a player that SCORED big time a few events back and won 12 of the daily prizes opening 15 chests. Was that do to fantastic calculating on her part, or just beating the odds like a piñata? I guess it's like the old saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good". You just can't live your Elvenar life always expecting to beat the odds.

DeletedUser9601

What would people think of a "pay to reroll the chests" fee? Like 5 tickets to re-spin the chests. I think that could be an interesting trade-off. If you got 3 crummy chests, you basically pay 40-50 tickets, but potentially get something useful. Or you spend 5 tickets and hope for one of the purple chests. Maybe its a bad idea, because Inno probably sets the re-spin costs too high.

DeletedUser12171

What would people think of a "pay to reroll the chests" fee? Like 5 tickets to re-spin the chests. I think that could be an interesting trade-off. If you got 3 crummy chests, you basically pay 40-50 tickets, but potentially get something useful. Or you spend 5 tickets and hope for one of the purple chests. Maybe its a bad idea, because Inno probably sets the re-spin costs too high.

Between blowing my tix to get possibly no better chests and choosing one since it will re-spin anyway, I'd take the latter. Can always choose the lowest tix one if the combi is really so bad as to not give a decent return of Goo or daily prizes

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I think it is a lot better than the previous chest system. I already won 8 wishing wells with my small city and completed only 50ish quests. I calculated which chests have the best odds for winning DEs, and selecting only those. With the previous system you could win only 10-12 DEs, with this system even 14 is possible I think.
With the new system it costs about 350-400 tickets per DE (LINK) Which is close to old events.
What has maybe changed things is that you can be both lucky with getting good chests and good spins on those chests (or bad+bad)
I think this results in more deviations from the average.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
It took me a minute to wrap my brain around how the chests originally worked in these things. I'm aiming for specific daily buildings in this event so have only opened chests in one city so far (my S&D city wants mana huts, saving all tickets for that day). I just hovered over the chests and picked the one with the highest daily chance. Didn't track anything, but spent around 800 tickets and got 2 of the daily prize; felt pretty close to opening the small chest in the old structure. Then, read this thread and was looking at the chests that were up in my event box right then. I was frowning because they all were 10% chance at the daily. As I hovered over the cheap (?36) chest, I accidentally clicked the mouse and won the Dancing Grounds, lol! My guess is, if I'd been going for that prize, that would never have happened. But it also makes me think if the randomness can make me be that lucky, it can also work in reverse and be very, very unlucky.

ET-inf3rno

So you got lucky! There were many times that the best chest I could open wasn't even at 25% for the daily prizes.

Doesn't the chest automatically tell you what the odds are every time? What calculating did you do?

I know a player that SCORED big time a few events back and won 12 of the daily prizes opening 15 chests. Was that do to fantastic calculating on her part, or just beating the odds like a piñata? I guess it's like the old saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good". You just can't live your Elvenar life always expecting to beat the odds.

The chest does not tell you the chance/ticket values and if you can win tickets with the chest, then it increases your chances too.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The 85 is between the 36 and the 46
whoops, fixed, thank you.
Still you need a strategy where to draw the line and choose the cheapest chest instead to get a new triple.
Like this?
53 BEST
--------
62<---- if all 3 are under the line maybe pick this one for a chance at better chests.
109 WORST

DeletedUser5013

I realize that statistically the costs per ticket/attempt for the daily prize is as your chart shows. For me personally, I would rather spend the 140 and get "stuck" with the alternative to the prize (1x40 hr boost, 2x14 hr boosts, 20 KP, 30 KP) than spend the 53 and win a 1 hr boost or a couple of spells. Tough to factor all of that in because so much of it depends on what a person is willing to gamble with/for and how much a player values those other potential prizes.