• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fair Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLoad

No. As explained before, simply ignoring them does not actually solve the problem.
It solves it for me in my FS and for me that's all that matters. I cannot fix everyone else's issues and wont try you either deal with the way the game is and change when it does or go off and play something else.

Ed

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
you either deal with the way the game is and change when it does or go off and play something else.

Ed
Actually, we also have the option to make consistent, logical points about how it could be better. Sometimes the devs pay attention, sometimes they don't. When a person doesn't like the status quo, they lose 100% of the times they decide not to bother.

StarLoad

Actually, we also have the option to make consistent, logical points about how it could be better. Sometimes the devs pay attention, sometimes they don't. When a person doesn't like the status quo, they lose 100% of the times they decide not to bother.
I agree and never said not to try. I have sent in ideas for change too, but until it changes do happen do we have to bash our heads into the same wall over and over, I think not. All I say is take what you like leave the rest and go on playing the game.
Sure make the points to the devs, but in this forum, its like side A and side B of a record, and there is nothing you can do but flip it over to get to the other side. Neither side will change some don't care and some do. Are we getting anywhere re-discussing it again?

Ed

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Are we getting anywhere re-discussing it again?
Maybe. I mean it took several years of repeating the same points in order to get the devs attention the first time.
It solves it for me in my FS and for me that's all that matters.
Not if you can see the big picture.

Cross trades flood the trader
Some players like me ignore the trader to avoid the hassle instead of helping fulfill trade requests.
Newer players have their trades taken less frequently if at all
Smaller players quit more regularly and/or spend less money
Elvenar profits are lower

Results:
You have fewer people to play with.
Inno spends less on features and updates to your game.

You ask "do we have to bash our heads into the same wall over and over" and I guess the answer is "yes" since somehow there are those who still don't understand how cross trades impact the game you play I'll keep trying.

you either deal with the way the game is and change when it does or go off and play something else.
Lucky for you other players put forth the effort to improve the game. You're welcome.

If you feel that you have nothing meaningful to contribute, feel free to click this:

unwatch.png

Mykan

Oh Wise One
We tested this with FS on different worlds that contained several of the same members, and the FS that allowed cross trades often had normal trades languishing for days whereas the FS with a rule never had trade requests up for more than a few hours before being fulfilled.
I do have to wonder how much your bias against cross-trades and that of your fellowship impact this. One of my fellowships has not restricted cross-tier trades (even before the changes) and we have never experienced the issue you mentioned. We have had the odd grumble but people aren't stopping trading and we have had no complaints since the change.

Some players like me ignore the trader to avoid the hassle instead of helping fulfill trade requests.
I think your over exaggerating this. I am sure there is a small effect of this but small, pretty sure other factors are much larger in impacting retention/profit. To be honest, with so many active neighbours people don't always check the trader regardless of what trades are posted. The small towns me and my family members play have zero trouble getting trades taken regardless of the fellowship, world, etc.

Interestingly the fellowships that restrict cross-tier trades are more problematic for small towns from my experience. As an experienced player I still get my balance of goods production not quite correct on a small town and need to occasionally readjust, but can't or takes longer to adjust production when a fellowship restricts trades. New players have less clue about production and are more likely to get the mix wrong and need some quick adjustments. Far easier to help them while they learn then to ignore them or worse yet blow up at them (have heard of some people experiencing this).

The forum is a small representation of players and I think it is fairly obvious the main player base has less issue with the trades otherwise there would be less trades. They also are still very willing to grab trades of small players. If a person really doesn't like cross trades the best thing they can do is gravitate to a similar fellowship and use the filters.

Considering inno's aversion to limiting trades I do suspect they won't change this. Worse yet haven't people learnt to be extremely careful what they ask for? Do you really think that if you convince inno to mess with cross-tier trades that they wont also mess with them for Sentient and Ascended goods? If people aren't concerned about that they obviously haven't played this game for very long.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I am sure there is a small effect of this but small, pretty sure other factors are much larger in impacting retention/profit.
1. I never made any claim as to how big or small the impact is, only that it exists.
2. Other factors affecting player retention are outside the scope of this conversation.

Considering inno's aversion to limiting trades I do suspect they won't change this.
And I don't want them to.
As stated I just want a filter.
filters.png

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
And you can’t expect Inno to change something that’s worked fine since day one .

Muffy this is categorically incorrect. I'm thinking it was a few years into the game before cross tier trades became an real issue. Sometimes new players needed to post cross tier trades but their FS would usually pick them up. Otherwise they would usually sit there for the week before they expired and the player would realize it wasn't such a good idea. It was definitely not such a pain to use the trader like it is now. This is why a bunch of us long term players feel strongly about this subject.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Just a polite reminder, it's okay to have different opinions, but let's be careful to not let things get out of hand, and all of us stay respectful in the comments we make.

Are you a moderator now? That usually comes with an indicator under the name.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Are you a moderator now? That usually comes with an indicator under the name.
No. Do I need to be one? That's something I would usually say anyways when I see certain things. Just a suggestion/reminder. I was not targeting any specific 1 person. I had just seen a few, none of yours, that started to look like it might not go so hot. (Sorry if that looked like I was stepping on someone's toes)

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
To all of those who think filters aren't necessary: who of you want to replace all those sentient goods I just lost because I accidentally picked up a big zero star sentient trade???

I was playing on computer, picking up 2 star same-tier trades but then I ran out of the goods asked for and the trades switched order and I clicked before realizing it was the wrong trade:mad:

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
Really? If that was true we'd still be at 16:1, the tournament would be 8 encounters per province, not 1, we'd still have 18 declining quests instead of the current FA interface, we wouldn't have teleport spells, certainly not teleports for evolutions, and there would be no use for blueprints outside of magic buildings, no additional use for runes etc

The list of improvements that this game has which can be directly attributed to players asking for them is significant, and to be honest, your dismissal of them and of all the effort players have put into them is kinda crappy.
I didn’t dismiss anyone or anything . I stated the trader has been working fine since day one . It has … sure a few people might not get the trades as fast as they want and a few cry over unfair trades but in general for the majority … it works . Balancing your FS members as to what goods the FS may be lacking helps.
Yes Inno works very hard on trying to please everyone.. they always have and always will. It is of my opinion that the trader …wouldn’t be high on the priority list to be “fixed” if it isn’t broken. Sorry if my opinion is crappy …. Some days I just wake up that way

StarLoad

Some players like me ignore the trader to avoid the hassle
And some players like me don't have an issue with it.
You assume I can't. I can I just focus on the game from my and my FS's perspective since I cannot change other players.
The forum is a small representation of players and I think it is fairly obvious the main player base has less issue with the trades
I agree with this appraisal.
your bias against cross-trades and that of your fellowship impact this
Just like my FS where I take cross-trades everyday without issue.

Ed

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
Maybe. I mean it took several years of repeating the same points in order to get the devs attention the first time.

Results:
You have fewer people to play with.
Inno spends less on features and updates to your game.

You ask "do we have to bash our heads into the same wall over and over" and I guess the answer is "yes" since somehow there are those who still don't understand how cross trades impact the game you play I'll keep trying.

Lucky for you other players put forth the effort to improve the game. You're welcome.

If you feel that you have nothing meaningful to contribute, feel free to click .
Do you have data to back this up ? Cuz I’d sure like to see it .

“ Lucky for you other players put forth the effort to improve the game. You're welcome.”

You are very welcome too. As I see it , all players here put forth effort in some sense of the word.

“ If you feel that you have nothing meaningful to contribute, feel free to click . “

Not cool . We may not always like what we hear, but it doesn’t lessen the value of what is said .
Perhaps a brief look at the definition of diversity might help

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
I don't like turning off comments in threads, but I know from past discussions this topic gets very heated, so I will if I feel it becomes necessary.

Please be polite in your disagreements. There's no need to be rude to each other.

Katwick

Cartographer
It sort of makes me cross when folks think dumbing something down is a good solution.

Trading is downright boring when everybody in the Fellowship has a half-million of everything, cross-trades are forbidden, folks filter for Fellowship, and then power-click all the trades.

What's next? Maybe an Auto-Win for Spire if you have a gazillion goods?

A healthy auction-based market would be far more interesting. Sellers post a minimum acceptable bid and an immediate sell price. After 24 hours:
  • It's already gone at the sell price
  • Highest bid wins
  • There were no bids so it's returned to the seller, minus a small fee.
Adding a bid capability to our existing system would be pretty straight-forward; it's just a deferred purchase. Worlds of Warcraft and several other games use auction systems.

An even more interesting approach is a Dutch Auction, but it's probably too complicated for casual buyers. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutchauction.asp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.