• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fair Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
No, but I am. Please a civil conversation even when we disagree is fine, but let us not start with rude and disrespectful comments towards each other.

I don‘t disagree. It just sounded like what a mod would say. Coming from you or helya that’s good work :) That tone coming from somebody with no authority did ruffle my feathers. I wasn’t even in whatever the spat was going on because I just can’t bring myself to read pages of the same argument over & over, month after month and year after year.

Maeryn

It sort of makes me cross when folks think dumbing something down is a good solution.

Trading is downright boring when everybody in the Fellowship has a half-million of everything, cross-trades are forbidden, folks filter for Fellowship, and then power-click all the trades.

What's next? Maybe an Auto-Win for Spire if you have a gazillion goods?

A healthy auction-based market would be far more interesting. Sellers post a minimum acceptable bid and an immediate sell price. After 24 hours:
  • It's already gone at the sell price
  • Highest bid wins
  • There were no bids so it's returned to the seller, minus a small fee.
Adding a bid capability to our existing system would be pretty straight-forward; it's just a deferred purchase. Worlds of Warcraft and several other games use auction systems.

An even more interesting approach is a Dutch Auction, but it's probably too complicated for casual buyers. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutchauction.asp
We trade goods for goods the only time we don’t is when we go to wholesaler and buy goods with either gold or supplies. An auction to be would be using gold instead of goods to require goods.

The solution for the cross trading could be solved by allowing three tiers of goods to be used in all tier groups of the wholesaler.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
To all of those who think filters aren't necessary: who of you want to replace all those sentient goods I just lost because I accidentally picked up a big zero star sentient trade???

I was playing on computer, picking up 2 star same-tier trades but then I ran out of the goods asked for and the trades switched order and I clicked before realizing it was the wrong trade:mad:

Yep. one mouse-stutter last night cost me a whack of Soap for velvet I didn't needd, and will not be able to trade to someone else to get my soap back unless they also mis-click and feel just as betrayed as I did.

Katwick

Cartographer
An auction to be would be using gold instead of goods to require goods.

The solution for the cross trading could be solved by allowing three tiers of goods to be used in all tier groups of the wholesaler.
Barter Auctions work just fine, BUT I do prefer your idea of permitting Wholesale Cross-Tier Trades. It's a nice simple approach.

The math isn't even complicated, as the Trader already calculates the quantities for 2 Star Cross-Tier Trades.

Coins Diamonds T1, T2, T3 Boosted
(and why not add Supplies)
for T1, T2, T3 UNboosted Goods.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
To all of those who think filters aren't necessary: who of you want to replace all those sentient goods I just lost because I accidentally picked up a big zero star sentient trade???
I was playing on computer, picking up 2 star same-tier trades but then I ran out of the goods asked for and the trades switched order and I clicked before realizing it was the wrong trade:mad:
Yep. one mouse-stutter last night cost me a whack of Soap for velvet I didn't need
This exactly.

As for the civility in this thread, I suppose what bothers me the most is the blind hypocrisy of those who say:
"So what? Just ignore the cross-trades" But then complain about having to deal with forum threads on the subject instead of ignoring them.

The consequences of accidentally clicking a forum thread titled "Fair trades" are pretty minor compared to losing all of your sentient goods on a zero-star cross trade.

Following up with "This conversation isn't going anywhere" While adding nothing of value to the conversation is another ironic move.

StarLoad

Soggy I have already stated I have no objection to a filter, so get off your high horse. I know it was suggested and rejected if my memory is right so Make a new suggestion and be done with it. Having a discussion here will not bring about change.

Ed

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Soggy I have already stated I have no objection to a filter, so get off your high horse. I know it was suggested and rejected if my memory is right so Make a new suggestion and be done with it. Having a discussion here will not bring about change.

Ed
Our point is that it does sometimes bring change.

My counterpoint would be, people already have the choice to ignore the complaints instead of complaining that complaining won't change anything, yet they don't, even though there's no evidence that asking people to stop complaining will change anything.

StarLoad

Our point is that it does sometimes bring change.
If the devs were reading these threads, which I doubt they are IMO, they would see that there is a number that get offended by just seeing cross-trades and a number that doesn't care. so they are not incentivized to make a change. Again send in a suggestion and see if it gets changed is all

I am saying. I personally do not have the issue that some of you do, but that does not make me a hypocrite, notwithstanding the implications of Soggy.

And as for ignoring the thread and not participating with dissent or otherwise, I take it from your and Soggy's comments that you would rather have an echo chamber of replies agreeing with each other.

Ed

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
To refine this problem a little bit more, it is not cross-tier trades in general that are a problem, it is the fake 3-star cross-tier trades that get sorted to the top of the list because someone tosses and extra 5 or 10 goods onto their offer, or subtracts 5 or 10 goods from their demand, making a lot of garbage at the top of the list, instead of these trades being grouped with the normal 2-sar trades.

The sorting process is also stupid in another way: a 2-star cross-tier trade offering tier 2 for tier 3 will get listed higher overall than a 2-star trade offering tier 3 for tier 2, with same-tier 2-star trades in between them. And then the mobile app also sorts trades in a different order than the browser, to confuse things even more. One person here could be arguing about things based on the app, while the other person sees something different in the browser and is arguing for a different thing. And neither will know they aren't looking at the same setup.

If Inno won't give us filters to show one a specific star rating, like we can already do with each good or type of good, maybe we need to bug them to change the order the trades are displayed. It would be nice if all same-tier trades were listed first, by their star rating, and then all cross-tier trades listed after them, sorted the normal way. That way we can stop having the cross-tier and same-tier all mixed together.

And honestly, nothing will stop all the people from posting the cross-tier trades, unless cross-tier trading or the star system is removed completely from the game, and we know that neither will ever happen.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
And as for ignoring the thread and not participating with dissent or otherwise, I take it from your and Soggy's comments that you would rather have an echo chamber of replies agreeing with each other.
Absolutely not. I enjoy a spirited debate. I may not be making my point clearly.

I find it amusing that you took the time to tell Soggy they should just ignore things that bother them, then went on to say that Soggy is wasting their time taking the time to tell other people about things that bother them because nothing will change. I think the key thing that you missed is that Soggy has been making points here for longer than most of us have been in the game. Telling Soggy they should give up making their case is probably no less pointless than Soggy making their case in the first place, and likely a little more pointless.

In the larger context of a free-wheeling forum where people come to complain every day about things they wish were different, it's probably worth considering every time we tell someone else they should stop talking about something because either we don't think it's worth their time, or we don't want to see it.

StarLoad

I find it amusing that you took the time to tell Soggy they should just ignore things that bother them, then went on to say that Soggy is wasting their time taking the time to tell other people about things that bother them because nothing will change.
Please tell me where I told Soggy to just ignore, anything because I don't see it? Nor Did I say Soggy was wasting his time? And I did not say nothing will change.
So this discussion is actually leading somewhere, and isn't pointless?
Couple of pages back I said make a suggestion about it, and I still font see one.

Ed

Killy-

Out of curiosity, I want to know how other people trade. Let's say I want to trade away my steel. I click the filter for me offering steel. Than I know I don't want to crosstrade my stell, so I click the filter on the other side for planks and for marble once and think that is the fastest way, to find all offers, I am interested in. Even so I don't mind crosstier trades, I don't see them, if I don't want to see them. What are you doing instead and why? In my 4 to 5 years here, I still haven't taken a wrong trade I think it easier to accidentally get rid of a lvl 35 wonder (counter: 1 - yikes).

That being asked - I wouldn't mind any additional filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.