• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowships and new players

Dew Spinner

Umm link please? :oops:

• Personality/reputation. Top Fellowships generally have at least 1 regular forum lurker in them if not several and some active participants, so any regular on the forums will have an easier/harder time joining the top based on how they are received here.

And this is another old timer saying the same thing on another thread today.

@Pookatan
You've asked us to explain why and then criticized some of the most helpful members here on this Forum when they have explained the rationale. You are arguing with us. Many recruiters check and read the Forum and yet .. here you are ... showing them why you may be trouble for them.
Happy Gaming

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
This is part of the problem on this forum, words are put into players mouths' in order to counter an argument, when they never said them.
This and then this:
your off handed comment implying, if I don't agree 100% to the T with the old timers on here and sit down and shut up when I don't that "The Recruiters" won't let the sun shine on me!
For this:?
Personality/reputation. Top Fellowships generally have at least 1 regular forum lurker in them if not several and some active participants, so any regular on the forums will have an easier/harder time joining the top based on how they are received here.
Brutal dude.
As I actually did say, sometimes people just choose to take offense.

Sprite1313

• Personality/reputation. Top Fellowships generally have at least 1 regular forum lurker in them if not several and some active participants, so any regular on the forums will have an easier/harder time joining the top based on how they are received here.

And this is another old timer saying the same thing on another thread today.

@Pookatan
You've asked us to explain why and then criticized some of the most helpful members here on this Forum when they have explained the rationale. You are arguing with us. Many recruiters check and read the Forum and yet .. here you are ... showing them why you may be trouble for them.
Happy Gaming

I think you are doing both @SoggyShorts and @Lelanya a disservice with this interpretation. Neither of them said players aren't entitled to their opinions, but the reality is that a lot of what gets people accepted to fellowships is personality and the ability to play well with others. If, like @Pookatani, you insist on posting zero star trades, even when the FS rules indicate they aren't allowed, you are probably indicating that you won't be a good fit for an FS. What other hassles will you bring to the game? This doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to ask the question, or argue against other people's opinions.

Maybe there are FS recruiters reading these posts right now who think that you arguing with Soggy makes you the greatest thing since sliced bread. That is an assessment of the traits you display in the forum, based on which they will probably make a judgement on whether or not you would fit in with their FS. There may be others who decide, based on the exact same posts, that you are not a good fit for their FS.

Dew Spinner

And this is another old timer saying the same thing on another thread.

@Pookatan
Happy Gaming
This and then this:

For this:?

Brutal dude.
Lurking recruiters watching to see if you are well received...nice way to couch that implication...the other poster didn't even try to couch the same thing.

Dew Spinner

I think you are doing both @SoggyShorts and @Lelanya a disservice with this interpretation. Neither of them said players aren't entitled to their opinions, but the reality is that a lot of what gets people accepted to fellowships is personality and the ability to play well with others. If, like @Pookatani, you insist on posting zero star trades, even when the FS rules indicate they aren't allowed, you are probably indicating that you won't be a good fit for an FS. What other hassles will you bring to the game? This doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to ask the question, or argue against other people's opinions.

Maybe there are FS recruiters reading these posts right now who think that you arguing with Soggy makes you the greatest thing since sliced bread. That is an assessment of the traits you display in the forum, based on which they will probably make a judgement on whether or not you would fit in with their FS. There may be others who decide, based on the exact same posts, that you are not a good fit for their FS.
The thread started by the newcomer today about zero star trades could have just as easily been answered the way YogiDave answered it but others decided to go nasty immediately. There is no call for that and it isn't right. Now there is most likely another newcomer chased of the forum because of it.

SoggyShorts

Lurking recruiters watching to see if you are well received...nice way to couch that implication...
You're jumping at shadows here mate, I implied nothing, I outright said what I meant:
  • Fact: there are many forum users who almost never post. (lurkers)
  • Fact: If you post regularly then readers(including lurkers) will form an opinion about you.
  • Fact: That opinion will be a factor in whether they want you in their FS.
This works both ways those opinions can be favorable as well, just look at another recent addition to the forums: @Gladiola I'll bet that based on her first dozen posts fellowships would fight to recruit her regardless of her being in chapter 2. I certainly was disappointed to see she wasn't playing on my servers.
started by the newcomer today about zero star trades could have just as easily been answered the way YogiDave answered it but others decided to go nasty immediately. There is no call for that and it isn't right.
I believe that your threshold for "nasty" might be a little low. I saw fact-based responses that, while perhaps a little blunt, didn't even venture near what I would call nasty.

Deleted User - 849192770

Happy Gaming
this comment seemd a bit snarky espaiccly the "happy gaming" at the end. but i wouldn't say the player was "chased off by the post"

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
You know.
I have you on ignore for a reason DewSpinner. Because you come onto the Forum and argue in circles. You don't respect any opinion. You take up our time and energy. I can hardly credit the time we've spent away from our cities, from FA, from city tetris, for this.
Ooo I have cities on 2 realms here, that's 2 fellowships out of how many? How does MY opinion impact you?
Back to Ignore. :)

SoggyShorts

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or worried about being stalked.

both.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog

I've always thought three things about "brutal" posts.

1) Sometimes they are true and thus should be respected for the, usually exaggerated, point the poster is trying to make. You don't have to agree, but it should be considered honestly and responded to respectfully -- usually by some change in your behaviour.
2) Put the best face on it you can. Sometimes people do choose to take offense, don't they? But the choice isn't in a vacuum. Usually they take offense at even innocuous remarks because they are frustrated that their point isn't convincing to others. Persuading somebody that you are right and they are not, is probably one of the hardest things to do, especially when the others have already made a public declaration of their position. It's embarrassing to say "I was wrong," after you have argued long and strenuously for your point of view. And of course that's true of both sides of any debate isn't it? In the end many choose to find offense in some side comment or even neutral comment because they need to get the focus off the subject at hand because they've run out of arguments or have found they don't really know enough to answer at the depth their opponent is discussing. By switching the subject from the subject to the personality of their opponent gets them out of a jam. It's bad form but it's at least understandable.
3) Ignore the personal attacks if you possibly can. If your busy holding your position and, in doing so, logically and politely answering your opponents, you've already won even if you haven't persuaded. No need to respond to obviously anger driven content.

In summary, I try to: 1) respect my opponent(s) position; 2) be positive and stick to the subject; and 3) be gracious in understanding that a strong debate may produce strong emotions.

AJ

Nectar of the Gods

The discussion is about whether the new change to the Moonstone set, one and done, is going to be a disadvantage or not to new players in being accepted into FA inclined FSs. I would be very interested as would others to see if this does or does not happen.
I just want to say upfront my FS is not a top 10 FS. We rank 42 in Ceravyn at the moment. We took 3rd in the FA this time around. Last time we were 6th and the time before that we were 10th. So we're improving, despite arcane residue and bracelets. I don't quite understand why you appear so hung up on the top 10 FSs when there are a lot of FSs that are not in the top 10 who are doing at least 10 chests in Tourney a week (we average 11), do well in the Spire (Silver every week) and do well in the FA (3rd). You do not have to have a top 10 FS to accomplish these goals. And if I were a new player I wouldn't be looking for a top 10 FS. I would be looking for a FS of friendly, helpful players who would help me grow. What makes a top ten FS is what each member accounts for in ranking points. The higher the combined ranking points, the better the FS ranking. The longer the person has been in the game, the more ranking points they have. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. The #15 FS took #1 in the FA in my world. And the only difference between the top 10 and that FS is member ranking points, not how good they are.

I became curious about how many moonstone sets were in my FS, so I took the time to go through all the members who played the FA to find out if there were a lot of Moonstone libraries. And the answer is no. There are some. I actually have the most in my city at 4.
The numbers came up as: 0, 1, 3, 0, 4, 0, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 0, 0, 2, 0, 1, 2, 1, 1, 0. That's 23 total. Which works out to 1 CC a day per person (+ 2 extra CCs; fractions-bah), not enough to make much in the way of builds in the MA for Arcane Res badges.

I didn't know until I looked how many Moonstone Library buildings peeps in my FS had. It hadn't even been on my radar. I just accepted two chapter 1 peeps into my FS. They will grow into cities that provide far more for the FS than badges for the FA. I just can not believe Moonstone Libraries are even a thought for most AMs when looking for recruits. The FAs, even when you play them to rank high in the world, are such a tiny part of the whole. And I would rather someone have the dedication to show up every day and visit, take trades, chat and participate in FS activities than use precious space to build a 5x5 building set that produces a CC. Space is a premium in Elvenar. Most people don't have that much of it to spend.

SoggyShorts

I didn't know until I looked how many Moonstone Library buildings peeps in my FS had.
Yup. This seems to be the common theme among both top 10 ranked FS and top 10 FA finishers: No one cares how many Moonstones you have.
A player with just one who does the spire gets more than enough CCs and SF to craft every 5-day building when they pop up and if it's a hardcore FA team they can save most of the rest for FA weeks without significantly impacting their progress. If they don't fight then, even more can be saved up.
But hey, what do old-timers who are actually in charge of recruitment for those FS know anyways? ;)

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Nectar of the Gods, GG! Fletcher's Cove finished #2 in Ceravyn just ahead of you guys and it was fun watching you guys climb too!

@Iyapo1 - We do NOT mind small cities AT ALL! I run our FAs. The theme for the January FA was "Follow the Rookies into Mordor" for the very reason that everyone counts out baby cities! Everyone was anticipating what the big cities would deliver, but we had two sub-Chap 3 baby cities join us with limited FA experience before the FA. One of them had never done a FA before and the other never done "an FA as a group activity". Well, our rawest rookie put in over 200 badges by the time the dust settled, surpassing some of our veterans, so don't count out small cities! With our two baby rookie cities, we climbed to #5 from #7 in the January FA. Before the March FA, we had a new Chapter 4 city join us too (as well as a medium Fairies city). We don't care about moonstone sets in recruitment either. *I* really like them, but it seems my teammates are always telling me to reduce the number I have (one of them refer to the libraries as "toilets"). We're a Top 10 FA group, but we would be just as happy coming in 500th if everyone was chipping in and that's the best we can do. The things I'm looking for in a candidate are more of the intangible traits than any hard numbers...eagerness (not here to ride coattails to group prizes), sense of humor (pleasant/fun to be with if we're stuck with you), and coachability (malleable to suggestions/recommendations). If you get them early and set them on the right track, they will grow to be productive medium cities!

Oh noes, I've said too much! Here comes my teammates to gag me before I spill all the trade secrets...

mordor.png

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
If only 5 people in bracelet heaven could save 25 people from Arcane Hell...

Why? The Residue is supposed to be tough for everyone. Little cities may be able to make more Bracelets, while big cities have lots of space to set up farms for the workshop and other factory badges. The rest are not that hard for anyone, so there has to be one badge that tries to level the playing field or everything is too easy.