• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Halloween Event

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The other issue, though, is releasing the dates. If these things have a timeline to release on a date, why wait until within a couple of days to tell when it will be? They've been advertising for the event heavily (on Facebook, at least) but silent on when it would take place.
The developers seem to have decided long ago that it is better to annoy players 100 times by not releasing any dates for anything rather than to change a date later and face the backlash.

Personally, I'd much rather that they give us dates with the standard disclaimer that they are subject to change without notice.

DarkKitty

Halloween and Octoberfest have nothing in common. There is no Halloween season, I wish there were. There is a specific day. None of this information, or opinions about that information, alters that.

I imagine events are planned out pretty well in advance and that the entire year is penciled in all at one time, somewhat like budgets are. The fact that this event coincides with Halloween is probably somewhat coincidental. What I mean is, the span of days between events is probably adhered to more than landing the event prior, during, or after a holiday.

This is probably true. That is my point. They know in advance when this stuff will go live. They can make an effort to get the Halloween event out of beta before Halloween is over irl. Again, there are TONS of other games that do this ALL THE TIME.

I don't understand why people are frustrated that players- who let's face it, if they aren't interested won't play and the whole community suffers-point out that the event (that is not by accident themed around Halloween) is coming a little late in October. This should not be controversial. It's just true. It is late in the month and Halloween is a single day. This is not the end of the world, but it shouldn't be hard to understand it's a little annoying and has NOTHING TO DO with Octoberfest....

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
They know in advance when this stuff will go live. They can make an effort to get the Halloween event out of beta before Halloween is over irl. Again, there are TONS of other games that do this ALL THE TIME.
Assuming they want to. There's no evidence that they wanted the event to start any earlier than it is.
I don't understand why people are frustrated that players- who let's face it, if they aren't interested won't play and the whole community suffers-point out that the event (that is not by accident themed around Halloween) is coming a little late in October. This should not be controversial. It's just true. It is late in the month and Halloween is a single day.
Because regardless of how much people complain about it, their Halloween events have always started close to Halloween. The fact that some players are upset that they don't start early is barely relevant to anything.
and has NOTHING TO DO with Octoberfest....
Do you happen to have insider information about how many employees of a German company take vacation during one of the biggest celebrations in Germany, potentially leaving them short-handed for a major event? If not, ALL CAPS doesn't make your supposition truer.

Quite the reverse, I think the fact that the recent FA got its end delayed to a Monday is potentially evidence that they were short-handed in October and maybe couldn't find anyone willing to tend to the game on the weekend. If there's any truth to that, not starting a major event across 50 servers is probably sensible.

DarkKitty

Assuming they want to. There's no evidence that they wanted the event to start any earlier than it is.

My assumption is they would like to look like they have their stuff together. Hence getting their timing a bit better.

Because regardless of how much people complain about it, their Halloween events have always started close to Halloween. The fact that some players are upset that they don't start early is barely relevant to anything.

It's relevant to who sticks around and spends money on the game so it's a pretty decent business model to care what your players think. If they didn't care about what we think, they wouldn't have forums.

Do you happen to have insider information about how many employees of a German company take vacation during one of the biggest celebrations in Germany, potentially leaving them short-handed for a major event? If not, ALL CAPS doesn't make your supposition truer.

You don't need insider info to know that EVERYONE isn't going on vacation when something goes into beta. People can drink after work, they aren't tourists. But this wasn't what I said.

What I said was, "Halloween has nothing to do with Octoberfest." Which it doesn't. And you don't need to know a guy to know they are two different celebrations.

DarkKitty

And just to be clear, the start date of this event is not the hill I want to die on. I just think that if you are on a games forum, where you get to discuss your take on the game it's def the place to say, "Hey, wish that Halloween event was timed better for Halloween."

And ppl can def disagree. I just wasn't expecting such a high level of, "How dare a new player think holiday events should line up with holidays? They never have! This one happens in the right month! Be grateful!" I see that you are right that they never have but that doesn't mean someone can't think that they should. Just because it's how something has always been done doesn't mean it's the best way or that good things can't improve.

Iyapo1

I just think that if you are on a games forum, where you get to discuss your take on the game it's def the place to say, "Hey, wish that Halloween event was timed better for Halloween."

It is. It is also a place where players can make a joke about Inno dev's drinking beer.

Candy and beer....not a good combo!

The misty forest looks fun as heck! Did you see the advice:

Posted by @The Unbeliever
OMG!! HOLY SWEET EMPEROR'S TEETH - WE GET THE FOE HALLOWEEN EVENT!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
*tears off cloths and does a happy dance in underwear*

...well, not maybe not exactly, we're trading out exploding cauldrons for explosive flasks, but the important thing is tools still go 'BOOM'! ;)

EDIT: So for any of our beta players who are also here, how it works in FoE is:
1. Do NOT! try to uncover every single tile - you'll only waste tools that way... overall, tool management is key - ie: don't use a Lantern to clear just 2 or 3 fog patches.

2. If the tool packages are the same as FoE, (ie: small, medium, large), then purchase only the large one as it is always the best value for your event currencies.
Never buy single tools, they are a complete waste of resources.

3. Landing daily prizes is typically frustrating as hell, since it's entirely random which 'chests'/'pumpkins', etc... show up.
It actually more advantageous to NOT uncover a prize chest/pumpkin when you can see that it's a low % one, and/or would take 2-3 tools to clear the fog to get to it.
Better off to keep going further into the forest, as you'll naturally uncover a good amount of prize chests/pumpkins as you go. :)

4. Enjoy this one! It's addictive and it's become by far the fan favourite event mini game in FoE!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
My assumption is they would like to look like they have their stuff together. Hence getting their timing a bit better.
I think that, as always, whether they look like they have their stuff together seems to be dependent on whether they do things the way a particular person wants them to. This is their fifth Halloween event, and all of them have started within a spread of a little over a week. This is the earliest they've ever started, so using it as an example that they somehow don't have their stuff together because they didn't start it sooner seems self-centered to me.
It's relevant to who sticks around and spends money on the game so it's a pretty decent business model to care what your players think. If they didn't care about what we think, they wouldn't have forums.
Players on the forums consistently seem to think our opinions represent the gospel truth. Elvenar has millions of users, makes millions of Euros a year, and currently has 20 times as many people following it on the English Facebook page than have ever signed up for the forums in it's entire existence. Actual employees post there regularly, and they regularly get 50+ to several hundred comments on posts about the game. Inno has won business awards for the quality of their metrics, and their revenues had 38% growth last year per their parent company's annual report (as I quoted elsewhere on the forums. I think it's hilarious when forum participants claim the developers should do what the players say if they want to make money.
You don't need insider info to know that EVERYONE isn't going on vacation when something goes into beta. People can drink after work, they aren't tourists.
Didn't say everyone. I implied you have no idea whether Octoberfest is relevant to the date of the event or not.
What I said was, "Halloween has nothing to do with Octoberfest." Which it doesn't. And you don't need to know a guy to know they are two different celebrations.
Perhaps you meant to say that, but you didn't.
I don't understand why people are frustrated that players- who let's face it, if they aren't interested won't play and the whole community suffers-point out that the event (that is not by accident themed around Halloween) is coming a little late in October. This should not be controversial. It's just true. It is late in the month and Halloween is a single day. This is not the end of the world, but it shouldn't be hard to understand it's a little annoying and has NOTHING TO DO with Octoberfest....
Perhaps English is not your first language? The construction of that paragraph is 100% talking about the timing of the event.

DarkKitty

Ashrem, you seem like a fun guy. You must have tons of friends outside the forums.

The short reply is that I am definitely entitled to have the opinion that an event should be timed with the holiday. Knowing dates of things doesn't make me self centered. It just means I understand how calendars work.

Furthermore, I did say say what I meant. It's not my fault if you can't read English as it's written.

Doesn't even matter if English is or isn't my first language. I seem to be more proficient with both how it and schedules work. Have a great day! xx

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Ashrem, you seem like a fun guy. You must have tons of friends outside the forums.
I do thanks, it's one of the things of which I am most proud.

The short reply is that I am definitely entitled to have the opinion that an event should be timed with the holiday. Knowing dates of things doesn't make me self centered. It just means I understand how calendars work.
Of course you are. I'd never resist anyone having or sharing an opinion. I can find people's opinions humourous can't I? When they fly in the face of evidence? What gives the appearance of self-centeredness is arguing that there is something wrong in how the Elvenar team schedules their events, that they don't understand how a Halloween season is supposed to work, and that the right way to do it is the way you think they should. The larger picture is that not only are they not a U.S. company, but they are running their events simultaneously on 50+ different servers multiple languages for multiple cultures. I'm presuming your better understanding of schedules includes research into what's going on in October in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Holland, Poland, Norway, Russia and Sweden (plus the other nine languages they currently serve but isn't a teeny bit self-centered because you know how the Halloween season works?
Furthermore, I did say say what I meant. It's not my fault if you can't read English as it's written.
Yay! Even more humour. I'll I'm happy to match my English comprehension against yours any day of the year. Your written words speak for themselves, as it were. The audience can judge my assessment of what you said vs what you say you said.
I seem to be more proficient with both how it and schedules work.
I'm guessing my publishers would disagree, in particular if you tried to pass that paragraph off as saying what you claim it says. Actual publishers have paid me actual money to publish my writing in books made of paper. As far as schedules, I've demonstrated here that I have a basic grasp of how Inno schedules their Halloween events, and that I'm prepared to allow my culture's traditions are only a tiny part of the pot. I'm unconvinced that not liking how Inno schedules their events is evidence of a better understanding of schedules.

Iyapo1

People seem to be a bit cranky. Here is some cake.
Tallgrass-German-Choco-Cake-200x386.jpg

DarkKitty

Actual publishers have paid me actual money to publish my writing in books made of paper.

I love books that are made out of paper. I particularly enjoy the ones that were produced by "actual publishers." Actual publishers are the best publishers.

but they are running their events simultaneously on 50+ different servers multiple languages for multiple cultures.

Dude, I'm still not sure how you can miss the obvious. Halloween is still a fixed day of the year, regardless of how many countries there are.

The audience can judge my assessment of what you said vs what you say you said.

Not sure if I'm part of the audience but I would give you a B- for content organization and a C- for comprehension.

Again, mate, it's all cool. It's just a game I play for fun to unwind. Sorry I struck a nerve. Still not sorry for being "self centered" because I understand calendars and the fact that they are cross cultural.