• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How often do you release players from your fellowship?

Myne

Oh Wise One
I do have to let players go but I am never sure if they realize they have been let go because they were inactive. We did have this one guy we had to boot because of garbage he was posting in chat and not stopping when asked to. He formed his own fellowship and the description goes something like this: "a conservative group for like minded people of history no muslims commies or nazies". His exact words and grammar.
OMG!

Maeryn

I have struggled with my baby city in elcysandir too. I am doing a catering city. Difficult is a nice word for it. lol I finally made it to chapter 6 so we shall see.
I have the research to unlock chapter 7 filled, only took a little over 3 months to reach with the breakneck speed of the new tech tree. Trade off no goods or well being able to only have 10k or less of goods up. You are probably fairing better than me. That’s why I said they need a bigger grace period than getting to chapter 6.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I've only seen it happen when they read the fs overview and agreed to do it and then don't randomly (but without giving a heads up to AM if they are going to be gone or something is going on) as it isn't fair to the fs. I've even seen fs votes on it. I've only seen it rarely though as usually they will leave on their own.

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
I do have to let players go but I am never sure if they realize they have been let go because they were inactive. We did have this one guy we had to boot because of garbage he was posting in chat and not stopping when asked to. He formed his own fellowship and the description goes something like this: "a conservative group for like minded people of history no muslims commies or nazies". His exact words and grammar.
If you would be so kind as to message me the name of the FS

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
You should report that fellowship. I would, and I'm pretty sure it would be removed.

Myne

Oh Wise One
I have the research to unlock chapter 7 filled, only took a little over 3 months to reach with the breakneck speed of the new tech tree. Trade off no goods or well being able to only have 10k or less of goods up. You are probably fairing better than me. That’s why I said they need a bigger grace period than getting to chapter 6.
Agreed. I play multiple times a day. If I can't progress faster, the average player can't for sure.

Darielle

I think I've only removed a player for reasons other than inactivity twice. Total. I'm running 2 of my 3 fellowships and that would be in a period of more than 2 years.
Fellowships that don't have minimums for tourney or spire participation are less likely to remove a player, I believe. When you state on your Overview that you have a 1000 minimum on the tourney, and that by joining, you are agreeing to that minimum, then that tends to make it more likely that you are going to have to remove players. The more rules you have, the more people you will remove for reasons other than inactivity.

Smooper

I am also thinking of partnering with a casual play fellowship so that I might ask some less active players to join it. This would be a huge change for our fellowship since I constructed it on a "be active" principle. Lot of ambiguity in that phrase. Also players who would be asked to move would lose out on blueprints and other prizes. Not sure I should feel guilty if they never contribute 1500 points in a tournament.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Myne I see it as a 2-way street. The Archmage is expected to deliver the group experience players signed up for as much as the players are expected to meet minimums they too signed up for. The Archmage has an obligation to the team to enforce minimums or why have them at all? People didn't sign up for an A experience only to be given a C experience. I've seen a few FS implosions bc AMs won't cull deadwood. It led to a mass exodus of the best players. In the end, they kept deadwood at the cost of really good players. Bad math! As an AM, I am sure not going to repeat those mistakes! Hence, I'll pull the trebuchet as many times I need to until I only have like-minded players left. I'll generally give them a grace period to change course after I've privately contacted them about their subpar performance and then it's over the walls they go if I continue to see no change with no futher communications. Cause guess what? Their aversion to meeting their minimums matches my aversion to babysit grown adults! Of the two, only one is in my control. I am also not concerned about placing them in a new FS because 98% of the FS on the server will fall under less demanding and more casual. If they can’t find a more casual home under those conditions, then they’re really not trying.

To me, it's not about losing out on some points. I do enough tourney to cover for 4 other player's fair share of a blueprint. It's about good attitude and being a good teammate. They've agreed to the terms before coming aboard and either lack the self-awareness that they're not meeting minimums or worse, that they are aware, but don't care and think that’s acceptable. Their words are no good here then, and that's not someone I'd trust to have my back, let alone carry on mine and I don't think my team should be expected to either. On the other hand, I have someone that told me a month ago that he's got a month long trip to another country coming up in Sept and will not have access to the game. I told him to enjoy the trip and I'm not even going to boot him. He's earned his teammate stripes and that's someone we don't mind carrying on our backs for a whole month. If I make a decision like this though, then it's on me and my obligation to the rest of the team that we can still deliver Gold with one man down. Otherwise, I'm not doing my job as AM. They trust me to do my job and I trust them to do theirs. Our excess production allows for people to go on vacations, RL leaves, or give new baby cities time to grow. It’s not for people who want to claim the same rewards while doing half the work.

A couple of your advanced players can create leadership alts, and with a bit of luck the new cities will end up on their explored map (rinse and repeat), and you can fair trade to cover any shortages.
*squints* So I have to do even more work on their behalf because they don't want to do their fair share? Errr...nope. Hard pass.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I am also thinking of partnering with a casual play fellowship so that I might ask some less active players to join it. This would be a huge change for our fellowship since I constructed it on a "be active" principle. Lot of ambiguity in that phrase. Also players who would be asked to move would lose out on blueprints and other prizes. Not sure I should feel guilty if they never contribute 1500 points in a tournament.
Do you mean you are thinking about asking some of your less active players to leave in order to join a more casual fellowship? Or do you mean you are going to reorganize your current FS along more casual lines?

Smooper

@Henroo I was thinking of partnering with a more casual fellowship to make this one less casual. It is just a thought. The other idea would be a sabbatical for me where I leave my fellowship to join a more active fellowship for awhile so that I can try that play style out. I am mainly missing increased rewards in spire but it would be nice to play with some players who try to rank well in tournaments and fellowship adventures. I really don't think I could muster the time to start my current fellowship over to be ultra competitive and not sure I would even want to long term. Burnout seems a real possibility.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
an obligation to the team to enforce minimums or why have them at all?
Strongly agree with this. My explanation is: If 'requirements' are not tracked and enforced, they are really just suggestions.
That's why I think long and hard in my casual FS before labeling anything as a requirement. I ask myself 'do I really want to track that?' and 'will I feel okay with kicking someone out over that? The answer has to be yes to both if I'm going to entertain the idea any further. Still, in a casual FS very little ends up as a requirement.
join a more active fellowship for awhile so that I can try that play style out.
I got to that point after about a year with my first city/FS. I chose to start a 2nd city in a different world. With my experience, I could develop it much more efficiently from the start. I started an FS of just myself and developed it slowly, so about 6 months and I was into Dwarves. The chapters moved more slowly back then anyway with almost none of the features we take for granted now. At the time there was no Spire, but I was able to join a 10chest FS (they were like Gold FS's back then). Due to the difference in the types of players in that FS, they developed into Gold Spire very quickly.
Eventually our original AM in my first FS stopped playing and gave me the AM title on the way out. There are stark differences in the FS's I belong to, but I have the experience you're wanting and I still play with some folks I played with when I started the game over 5 years ago. IMO, best of both worlds.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Just want to point out to everyone saying people should read the fellowship overview before applying/joining, I am pretty sure that mobile players are not able to read that until after joining a fellowship, and a lot of newer players are mobile app-only, so that has caused a big spike in blind applications and in people joining and who then won't, or can't, do the requirements.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Just want to point out to everyone saying people should read the fellowship overview before applying/joining, I am pretty sure that mobile players are not able to read that until after joining a fellowship, and a lot of newer players are mobile app-only, so that has caused a big spike in blind applications and in people joining and who then won't, or can't, do the requirements.
I'm on mobile and can read them first....
EDIT: Maybe they can't if they have never been in any fs before yet?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Henroo I was thinking of partnering with a more casual fellowship to make this one less casual. It is just a thought. The other idea would be a sabbatical for me where I leave my fellowship to join a more active fellowship for awhile so that I can try that play style out. I am mainly missing increased rewards in spire but it would be nice to play with some players who try to rank well in tournaments and fellowship adventures. I really don't think I could muster the time to start my current fellowship over to be ultra competitive and not sure I would even want to long term. Burnout seems a real possibility.
It sounds like you should change course because in your heart, you've already made up your mind. If you're longing for rewards enough to want to take a sabbatical to join another FS, then you're not a right fit for your own FS. :) Honestly, after you've tasted more rewards with a more competitive FS, do you really think you'd want to go back to less rewards for the same effort? Which then begs the question, are you playing this game for you or the other people in your fellowship? From your other posts, it doesn't sound like the wrangling of 24 other players is your first love about the game and why you are playing. Some people need to be the Archmage because they just want to be the boss, but you don't fit that profile. And now you're going to hold yourself back to appease other people's playing styles. A better option that benefits everyone would be to play with 24 other people that want to play like you do and don't want to hold you back! If you want to be an Archmage, then keep the Archmage hat. If you don't, then go join an existing competitive FS. If your existing group wants to stay casual, then it's probably not going to fall apart if someone takes over. There isn't much administrative overhead needed to allow everyone to be chill. And if you're afraid of burnout in the future, well it's waaaaay easier to throttle down from competitive to casual.

Darielle

@Myne I see it as a 2-way street. The Archmage is expected to deliver the group experience players signed up for as much as the players are expected to meet minimums they too signed up for. The Archmage has an obligation to the team to enforce minimums or why have them at all? People didn't sign up for an A experience only to be given a C experience. I've seen a few FS implosions bc AMs won't cull deadwood. It led to a mass exodus of the best players. In the end, they kept deadwood at the cost of really good players. Bad math! As an AM, I am sure not going to repeat those mistakes!
Exactamundo. When people get mad because I'm trying to enforce rules that they agreed to by joining (I make sure to tell people when they join to check out the overview to understand our rules) then that's their problem, not mine. And when others keep telling me, "Let's give so and so another chance," I think, "Why? We've already given him a months' worth of chances." I need to make sure we give the best experience to the active players, not the inactive ones.