• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How to get spell fragments when a Newbie

Deleted User - 850238979

The Spire is not open until chapter 5 and the Tournament in chapter 4?

Do you think cities in the new tech are going to have a difficult time finding an established Fellowship?

I don't understand their reasoning for these changes.
Yes, access to the spire and tourney are delayed. Inno have ameliorated the losses to small players by including an acceptable amount of resources they could have acquired.

As one of those new cities I have experienced some difficulty in getting into a good & stable fellowship. There are plenty of fellowships that will have me but I'm looking for one that regularly achieves 10 chests, not one that is working toward that goal or one that relies on the hard work of a few to achieve for the rest.

But on the balance of things, I think my difficulty finding the right fellowship comes down to things always at play in this game - being a low chapter city means my inclusion in a fellowship doesn't promote the overall score of the fellowship and for many, that matters a great deal.

Until inno change how they rank fellowships small cities will always be chopped liver.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
But on the balance of things, I think my difficulty finding the right fellowship comes down to things always at play in this game - being a low chapter city means my inclusion in a fellowship doesn't promote the overall score of the fellowship and for many, that matters a great deal.

Until inno change how they rank fellowships small cities will always be chopped liver.
I think this will vary from FS to FS and what their goals are. I let small cities in if they want to play competitively, as it matches our FS style. Small cities can produce lots if they are played by very active players. I have recruited someone in chap 3 who told me she was just turned down by another FS for being too new. The kicker is if the other AM really knew what they were doing, they could see she has a chap 15 city elsewhere pulling 10k avg in tourney. Clearly she is no rookie even if she has a tiny new city in our world. Like, she is probably a better player than that AM that rejected her. :D But hey, their loss is my FS’s gain.

Deleted User - 850238979

I think this will vary from FS to FS and what their goals are. I let small cities in if they want to play competitively, as it matches our FS style. Small cities can produce lots if they are played by very active players. I have recruited someone in chap 3 who told me she was just turned down by another FS for being too new. The kicker is if the other AM really knew what they were doing, they could see she has a chap 15 city elsewhere pulling 10k avg in tourney. Clearly she is no rookie even if she has a tiny new city in our world. Like, she is probably a better player than that AM that rejected her. :D But hey, their loss is my FS’s gain.
I wish there were more AMs like you!

crackie

My current gripe is the new chap 1-5 changes are somewhat of a hurdle to new players when it comes to Spire and unfortunately, I run a Spire-centric FS.

In the old tree, a new player can be Spire ready as early as chap 3, and then they are set for the rest of the game. In the new tech tree, you warn the new peeps that they need to severely increase their production 5-fold to do full Spire and they don’t believe you because they can afford to fiddle their thumbs for 5 chapters. They have no idea what this Spire is that you speak of, that they’ve agreed to do when they signed up for the FS. Then when they finally unlock the Spire, they just cry “can’t”. My city is too small to do this. Wah wah wah. No it isn’t. Look around. There (used to be before the recent migration) are chap 3 cities on old tech tree climbing just fine. For every new city that can adjust to climbing it fully, I probably have to eject three.

It was better when they could climb at chap 3 because everyone knew right away if they can do it or not. It’s there for them to try. Now you have to invest possibly three months in a new player to get to chap 5, only to find they aren’t a good fit. It’s not saying newbies can’t do the Spire, but the new pacing of early chapters lets them be less disciplined about tile efficiency for longer and then it becomes a rude awakening to suddenly need to adjust to higher weekly demands on troops and goods later. But hey, if a player is so confident as to ignore veteran players’ advice only to not be able to deliver, then I’m not taking any pity or giving out exemption from FS mins to let you stay. Off to the trebuchet you go. By contrast, a chap 3 climber is already disciplined early about building lean and efficient cities. They can grow to be a standalone powerhouse already by chap 5 versus still crying pitiful tears. Hence, they are worthwhile investments for a FS to take on despite being small and new cities.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
There (used to be before the recent migration) are chap 3 cities on old tech tree climbing just fine. F
It was better when they could climb at chap 3 because everyone knew right away if they can do it or not.

I have run multiple babies through both the old and the new trees. In the old system chapter 4 players did not need t3s to cater, which made it significantly cheaper in terms of city space and goods to climb to the top.

The spire demands just gradually ramped up in the old tree. Now they just jump out at you fully grown. Even I was a bit unprepared for how steep the climb was.

I dont see Inno walking the change back because I think getting rid of the little spire killers was part of the reason for the change(just assuming).

crackie

I have run multiple babies through both the old and the new trees. In the old system chapter 4 players did not need t3s to cater, which made it significantly cheaper in terms of city space and goods to climb to the top.
Yes, but my point is they know how to max out their land early with lean cities to be able to Spire in subsequent chapters, regardless of new goods introduced. They can pretty much climb for the rest of the game and I don’t have to hold their hands. If a player knows how to get their city Spire sustainable by 3, I have no worries if/when they reach decaying goods either. However, when it comes at you at 5, they sometimes enter settlements with still wobbly and unsustainable cities too. Now they need to allot land for settlements as well, but they are still figuring out how to maximize their plots. Their learning curve is delayed and it’s like they suddenly have too much new game elements to sort out. Some of them just freak out and quit. Others, I’d have to advise to not advance yet until they sort their cities out better before entering another chapter. Lots more hand holding.

You can get away with not understanding a lot more core game concepts building a wishy washy city vs a lean city. Things like chapter of buildings, why you’d want blueprints, when do you use RRs, etc. Cause it won’t matter that your event buildings are still in chap 1 if you can build your city without a care in the world about efficiency. You can tell them about these things, just like they need to increase their goods production by a whole lot more, but it doesn’t sink in or seem to be pertinent info when they don’t have an actual Spire to climb yet. You are less likely to see a Spire climber carry useless buildings from chapter to chapter (there are exceptions, like a certain someone keeping an expired building because it has the “snackiest name”).

The spire demands just gradually ramped up in the old tree. Now they just jump out at you fully grown. Even I was a bit unprepared for how steep the climb was.

I dont see Inno walking the change back because I think getting rid of the little spire killers was part of the reason for the change(just assuming).
Yeah, I don’t foresee them changing anything back, especially after this awkwardly executed tech tree merge. I take newbies into my FS all the time, but this hiccup has made their investment less fruitful and more frustrating for all parties involved from an AM’s perspective is all. It’s like you want to give the little guys a chance, but wondering if the frustration is worthwhile. The easiest move is to stop letting them in, which is prob what most do as @Gordo the gassy is saying regarding discrimination against smaller cities. If I didn’t run a Spire-centric FS, it would definitely be less problematic. There are still newbies who can do it, but it’s just more work and time to find them and recruiting is already the worst part of an AM’s job.