• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I'm looking for some opinions...

Count Rupert

...and I thought what better place to look than here.

I've been playing 114 days now. While I've done okay (just entered chapter 7), 114 days isn't much time in terms of accumulating buildings, particularly of the evolving nature. I have one, Echoes of the Forgotten (level 10). I wasn't too thrilled by the twilight phoenix which is what has brought me here looking for opinions. I converted the twilight phoenix artifacts I acquired so I now have 5 Tomes of the Phoenixes. That's enough to have one of the phoenixes at level 6. Question is which one? Which would be the best one to get now figuring it's likely to be at level 6 for a while?

Count Rupert

I'm not an architect for it's own sake type of player. I made one of the early common mistakes of overscouting through the first 2 or was it 3 chapters? I've corrected that for the most part. I'm currently a hybrid. I lack many of the supporting buildings I see discussed here so I fight until it becomes too expensive and then I cater. I have 4 armories.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
1652135551391.jpeg Hopefully you can see this ok, @Count Rupert

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm with @Dreamyn2 and @defiantoneks, Fire Phoenix for sure. Though I'm primarily a fighting city, a 30% attack increase to all of your units would be a significant help with a hybrid city as well. Troops are cheaper to produce than other resources required when catering/convincing and improving their abilities will help keep losses lower, thus replacement troop costs lower. You should be able to go a bit further fighting with a fed lvl 6 Fire Chicken, also reducing the amount of resources you need to cater/convince.
The biggest issue will be maintaining a supply of pet food. As a newish city, I'd recommend conserving use until you have built up some inventory. Using one pet food to do a round of tourney and progress in the Spire (by however much you decide based on availability of time instants, etc) gets double duty out of the same feeding. Also, it may be more prudent to use it for later tourney rounds/higher Spire chests where fighting becomes too difficult without it. You'll have to play around with that and your playstyle to find what works best for you.

Count Rupert

I'm with @Dreamyn2 and @defiantoneks, Fire Phoenix for sure. Though I'm primarily a fighting city, a 30% attack increase to all of your units would be a significant help with a hybrid city as well. Troops are cheaper to produce than other resources required when catering/convincing and improving their abilities will help keep losses lower, thus replacement troop costs lower. You should be able to go a bit further fighting with a fed lvl 6 Fire Chicken, also reducing the amount of resources you need to cater/convince.
The biggest issue will be maintaining a supply of pet food. As a newish city, I'd recommend conserving use until you have built up some inventory. Using one pet food to do a round of tourney and progress in the Spire (by however much you decide based on availability of time instants, etc) gets double duty out of the same feeding. Also, it may be more prudent to use it for later tourney rounds/higher Spire chests where fighting becomes too difficult without it. You'll have to play around with that and your playstyle to find what works best for you.

Makes sense. No matter which way you go, there's the issue of pet food. How much of an inventory? I currently have 12.

Gkyr

Chef
Makes sense. No matter which way you go, there's the issue of pet food. How much of an inventory? I currently have 12.
No right answer. I know some veterans who have close to 100. I have 32. When pet food appears in the MA, I always use 3 hours of time boost and grab it immediately, then craft another item for the rest of the 6 hours. Some complain of no pet food offerings in the MA for weeks at a time. Hasn't happened to me yet. How about this: if your gaming style is such that, every 2 weeks you have 1 more pet food in inventory, then you are not over-hoarding or over-using them. You can spend them if you consider an urgent need arises. YMMV.
Also, my opinion regarding Twilight Phoenix has resulted in a bit of blow-back (see poison pill) but I will say it again: don't feed a TW until you get quite a bit bigger city - it can consume an inordinate amount of pet food.
I am also one of the fans of the Fire Phoenix - for all levels of fighting.

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
the issue of pet food. How much of an inventory?
Tough to pin down. It depends on how many pets you have and how often you need to feed each of them. I've been around awhile, so I have a bunch of pets. But, my Storm Phoenix, for example only gets fed to boost sentient goods when I'm progressing through a chapter (and I spend a lot of time not doing that, lol!), and during FA's for extra bracelets. Sometimes, if I'm powering through event quests, I'll feed it to get those 'produce goods' quests done. But that is intermittent feeding and I can plan for that. Mostly, I try to make all the Pet Food I see in crafting, hope for it as a reward in event quests, and spend as sparingly as possible. I'm also one of the veteran players that takes advantage of the Polar Bear/TimeWarp benefits @defiantoneks mentioned:
My routine needs are for Fire Phoenix and Polar Bear on a weekly basis. Polar Bear lasts 5 days (one full tourney); along with my lvl 30 TimeWarp, it reduces tourney round cooldown time to zero. So, I can do all the rounds in all the provinces in one sitting. I've actually gotten 2Spires/2Tourneys off one Polar Bear feeding by feeding it on Friday, time boosting through that week's entire Spire, doing that week's tourney (one Fire feeding handles that), time boosting through the next Spire that launched on Sunday and finishing the next week's tourney after it launches Tuesday and before the polar bear feeding wears off Wednesday. If I wait until Tuesday to do the Spire, I can get the 2nd Spire & Tourney on a 2nd pet food for the Fire.
I have a Brown Bear, but rarely feed it any longer. The need to use it reduced considerably when they gave each military production bldg its own training queue. When they all 3 shared the same slots (when I first got it), I started out at once/week, then reduced to twice/month and was down to once/month when they introduced the separate training queues. At that point I was also using more pet food for the Fire as I leveled up my TimeWarp. There's also the irregular feeding of the Ashen Phoenix (events) and the Red Panda (FA's), but those are longer term feedings and use only one or 2 pet food for the entire event/FA.
So, I'm just stingy with using it and try to get as much out of one feeding as humanly elvenly possible ;)

Count Rupert

I try to get the pet foods when I see them. Hard for me to say whether I have any issues with pet food offers in the MA. When you're new, you need everything and so you have to make a decision on how to prioritize. It shares the same slot as relics, so I've been taking the relics since they're needed for making enchantments not to mention improving my boosted resources. This results in there being some crossover problems like overnight when I'm not awake to accept the completed relic offering before the new changeover occurs and it holds over into the new offering until accepted. Let's say for the sake of argument that affects a third of the possible offers. I could be receiving an acceptable number of pet foods if there were no crossover problems, not that I've noticed any long periods of time I haven't been offered them. If I've noticed anything with the MA is I tend to not see very many artifacts which is no surprise since it shares the same slot as relics and pet food. Tough for a new player to justify making a purchase for an evolved building not knowing whether I'm going to see any artifacts for it. I've had that problem already. Back when I was in chapter 1 I splurged for a red phoenix only to never see an artifact for it anywhere. By chapter 5 I felt I had to make a decision since it was then rather obsolete. Seeing how many RR it would take to get it current even if I did find artifacts I decided to disenchant it figuring the time to worry about getting the base was after I had some artifacts for it. Now that two of my boosted resources are getting the 700% and the third is 30 relics from having 700% as well with no issues of not being able to make enchantments for lack of relics; it's time to restructure my priorities. Particularly since I'll have something to be spending pet food on.

Iyapo1

Tough for a new player to justify making a purchase for an evolved building not knowing whether I'm going to see any artifacts for it.
Not really. You are going to want to craft all of the pets, sets, and evolving buildings as soon as your rescources permit. They are one offs, once you have one in your inventory or city they never appear in the MA again until you delete them. Crafting them will get them out of the crafting rotation which will increase your chances of getting buildings you want in there like the military boost buildings. Craft them and forget about them. As soon as you have enough artifacts just delete the base and re-craft.

I cater. My chapter 3 city is not currently overscouted but since it's a racing city, it will be as soon as I can manage to afford it (chapter 5ish). I am racing, I cater, and I plan to overscout so I went with the coldfire phoenix for the extra KP.

Troops are cheaper to produce than other resources required when catering/convincing and improving their abilities will help keep losses lower, thus replacement troop costs lower.
Troops require armories, wonders, fire chickens, pet food, military boost buildings..... I am not speaking of the higher chapters because I know nothing about those....but prior to chapter 9 I am not sure troops are cheaper.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
My formula for pet food storage is to hold back 6 x what I use in a week +1. I use 2 or 3 for the fire phoenix, 1 for the brown bear, so my inventory is 16 (6x2.5+1). I have found that the longest I've gone without pet foods showing up is about 4 weeks, but I craft all day long, every day. Hence the idea of a "6 week" drought.

So far I've not run out of pet food, though I did get down to 3 at one point.

AJ

Count Rupert

Not really. You are going to want to craft all of the pets, sets, and evolving buildings as soon as your rescources permit. They are one offs, once you have one in your inventory or city they never appear in the MA again until you delete them. Crafting them will get them out of the crafting rotation which will increase your chances of getting buildings you want in there like the military boost buildings. Craft them and forget about them. As soon as you have enough artifacts just delete the base and re-craft.

I cater. My chapter 3 city is not currently overscouted but since it's a racing city, it will be as soon as I can manage to afford it (chapter 5ish). I am racing, I cater, and I plan to overscout so I went with the coldfire phoenix for the extra KP.

Troops require armories, wonders, fire chickens, pet food, military boost buildings..... I am not speaking of the higher chapters because I know nothing about those....but prior to chapter 9 I am not sure troops are cheaper.

The key words being as resources permit. A lot easier to justify if you have a wealth of resources. Something new players are not in a position of having. I understand the strategy. I also understand I have no where near the spell fragments to employ it at the level you seem to be suggesting.

Iyapo1

My baby racing city is in chapter 3. I dont have enough spell frags, enough CCs, or even enough relics to make CCs in order to craft all of those buildings. One at a time, as resources allow, I am slowly getting the one offs out of my MA. I recommend all new players do the same thing. Personally I would love to see a lava codex....no luck yet.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Count Rupert If you plan to fight a lot, Fire Phoenix is the most powerful building in the game as long as you have pet food to feed it. And you should use your phoenix artifact to evolve it. However the feeding effect is entirely related to combat. If you are planning on mostly or entirely catering, then it is virtually useless. And you would be much better off going with either Storm or Aureate.