• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Just dont get it

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I'd name my new FS 'AaaaaaAaaaaAaaaa' and hope that people scan FS's alphabetically :rolleyes:
Whatever happened to the Yellowpage hackers?
Back when that mighty tome was delivered to your door and all companies were listed alphabetically there was a
AAAA Aardvark Plumbing,
AAAA Aardvark Painting etc.
Where did they all go? Was their whole marketing plan 100% reliant on winning the alphabet and they got crushed by google?

Last edited:

DeletedUser7527

Back when that mighty tome was delivered to your door and all companies were listed alphabetically there was a
AAAA Aardvark Plumbing,
Where did they all go? Was their whole marketing plan 100% reliant on winning the alphabet and they got crushed by google?
lol

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
AAAA Aardvark Plumbing,

Time for your nap Granpa

DeletedUser19511

Why would you want to sail through the game? I just started over 4 weeks ago and I am in my second FS as the first one was just way too small. My current one is not much bigger with our AM only at 55k and our second biggest player is only 26k. As you can see, our Team does not have all that experience that all you "big boys/girls" have. If you spoon feed your new team members, how are they going to learn? Going through a set of so called "proven routes" is the biggest killer of a player's innovation and initiative. Most of you seem to have forgotten that the only reason you are where you are today were because of the mistakes you made along the way. Too many chiefs and not enough indians you say? Too many "experienced" players in a Team has also it's own drawbacks just like the small ones. In fact, imo, a few advanced players at the top and mid to low levels making up the rest is a much better Team to join even if they only had eleven members. The few advanced members will not be too overwhelming to a newer or mid level player and still allow them to ask for guidance when they make a mistake. Mistake you say? "We will guide our members away from those", isn't this what most of you are indirectly saying? Well, tell you what, mistake is the necessity of invention and innovation.
Hey, Druindar Faric, I applaud you in your "stubborn refusal" to give up your dream and your goal. Success should come as a result of your effort with "some" assistance from a more advanced (I say that because they are not necessarily better than you or me cause they've been playing longer) player and not become thrall to those BIG FS's. Do not mistake the difference between guiding and learning.

Stay true to yourself my friend (I call you my friend because I feel exactly like you do) and continue down the path you have chosen and decided to pursue. Success is sweeter when you EARNED it with your own effort.

DeletedUser18388

Why would you need to force feed a merging of fellowships when all it takes is some communication and a "want to" join each other. One of the fellowships I'm in ask us to merge but the timing wasn't right and since they were so much bigger than us we decided we didn't want the added pressure to conform to their ways. Anyway, in my opinion I think that is the way it should be. Not everyone is comfortable with big and powerful .....

DeletedUser12171

a few advanced players at the top and mid to low levels making up the rest is a much better Team to join even if they only had eleven members.

If I were to make an FS now, I'd make sure I grew to a good size first, and get a few other experienced players, then form a FS and take newbies.

That's what most of us are saying

Advanced players a) are intolerant of newer ones and b) overly hand-hold newbies - these are assumptions on your part. Learning from experiences and mistakes of others is also generally regarded to be a wise move in real life. Learning earlier on not to learn optional squad sizes or which AWs to build first are some examples. Even building boosted-only is a good piece of advice newbies could do with but not necessarily find out on their own

SoggyShorts

@Porkadobo99
You are making a lot of assumptions that simply aren't true. My FS, for example, does have players in almost every chapter and is by no means a gathering of the elite. The point is that it is difficult to find 24 players with the same activity level and goals, so adding more fellowships makes it even harder for everyone.
This matters because major parts of the game such as Tournaments and FellowShip Adventures have their difficulty set for 25 players.

As for the joy of learning from your own mistakes, well some of them can't be fixed. There are quite a few game mechanics that aren't explained anywhere and were only discovered through testing. Are you aware of the consequences of researching optional squad size upgrades? This is a choice that cannot be undone and will affect you for the rest of the game. Do you know the pros and cons of scouting more or fewer provinces? Are you aware that if you scout a certain number before reaching a certain chapter that you will be locked out of in-game events and unable to get the prizes? (another that cannot be undone) Learning is great, but if it's too late to use that knowledge, what good is it?

No one is interested in spoon-feeding or forcing others to mimic their strategy. Having a few players whom you can ask questions of or observe in order to forge your own path while being slightly better informed is nice though.

You applaud Druindar for sticking to his guns, but what your virtue-signaling post fails to address is that he actually is a seasoned player who has been around for 18 months. We aren't talking to a newbie who wants to discover the game on his own. We are talking to a player who is splitting the small pool of active players further by creating yet another fellowship on a server where the players are already too spread out.

If you set out a list of traits for a FS, one or more matching your criteria already exists. If you want a fellowships with
This amount of experience
This level of activity
These levels of players
This much tournament activity
Etc
That Fellowship already exists and has 10-20 members, so if you make your own the world ends up with just one more fellowship of these perfectly compatible players who aren't playing together.

Each server has 3-6,000 fellowships, 99% of which have room for at least one more player, most have room for several. Creating FS #6,001 does nothing but dilute the pool further.

Last edited:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Why would you want to sail through the game? I just started over 4 weeks ago and I am in my second FS as the first one was just way too small. My current one is not much bigger with our AM only at 55k and our second biggest player is only 26k. As you can see, our Team does not have all that experience that all you "big boys/girls" have. If you spoon feed your new team members, how are they going to learn? Going through a set of so called "proven routes" is the biggest killer of a player's innovation and initiative. Most of you seem to have forgotten that the only reason you are where you are today were because of the mistakes you made along the way. Too many chiefs and not enough indians you say? Too many "experienced" players in a Team has also it's own drawbacks just like the small ones. In fact, imo, a few advanced players at the top and mid to low levels making up the rest is a much better Team to join even if they only had eleven members. The few advanced members will not be too overwhelming to a newer or mid level player and still allow them to ask for guidance when they make a mistake. Mistake you say? "We will guide our members away from those", isn't this what most of you are indirectly saying? Well, tell you what, mistake is the necessity of invention and innovation.
Hey, Druindar Faric, I applaud you in your "stubborn refusal" to give up your dream and your goal. Success should come as a result of your effort with "some" assistance from a more advanced (I say that because they are not necessarily better than you or me cause they've been playing longer) player and not become thrall to those BIG FS's. Do not mistake the difference between guiding and learning.

Stay true to yourself my friend (I call you my friend because I feel exactly like you do) and continue down the path you have chosen and decided to pursue. Success is sweeter when you EARNED it with your own effort.

Thank you for setting us straight.
We are lucky to have people like you with vast amounts of experience in the game to draw on.

DeletedUser19511

I seemed to have lit up the behind of a lot of you "Experts". You seemed to have missed that I also value experienced players, as long as they are not the dominant members of an FS, a growing FS, that is. There is nothing wrong with any big and dominant group if they grew together (of course with a few free agent trades here and there). And oh Mr. Soggy, those mistakes that you said are unreversible? they are often the mistakes that teaches you the best and would force you to think twice next time. You remember it more clearly when it burns.

As far as having too many fellowships in a limited pool of players? Are you not expecting this game to gain more followers? Besides, I believe in only the strong survive. The more fellowships, the more options for new and even existing players to choose from until the weak is culled from the herd. It's usually a bunch of strangers that forms an FS anyway and they will either come together and grow or split to join another. That is the natural evolution of the fittest.

Besides, I noted that these are only my opinion and it was mostly addressed to Druindar Faric. He can take it for what it's worth.

DeletedUser12171

Druindar actually seems to understand perfectly what we "Experts-with-Behinds-Set-on-Fire" (EwBSoF) are saying AND respects it. I'm quite sure most if not all of us EwBSoFs do respect his opinion too. In fact, I think the topic started in this thread actually reached its conclusion one page ago, but the pot was stirred again by what I guess is a New Expert or whatever you might like to call it.

Having said that, I'm done with this thread, happy gaming :)

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Porkadobo99 Please let me get this straight. You are on Ceravyn with 16.5K ranking points in a FS with a total of 197K ranking points. Since apparently you are now the EwBSoF Extraordinaire and feel that you know more than players whom I and others respect over the years, please take a look at my city on Elcysandir and school me on how I can greatly improve my game :rolleyes: (only using myself as example) Never mind that 2 of my buildings are more than your total ranking points and that I am in the #1 FS on Elcysandir. Oh, my bad. I've been in 2 other FS in the past. Sadly, even with players I am still very fond of, there came a point I had to move on if I wanted to advance my game at a rate to keep my interest. Anyway, I also have over 3 1/2 times the ranking points of your entire FS ranking points. So please do tell me and all EwBSoF how to play this game. I'm all ears :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry but couldn't help myself :p:p:p

DeletedUser7527

I seemed to have lit up the behind of a lot of you "Experts". You seemed to have missed that I also value experienced players, as long as they are not the dominant members of an FS, a growing FS, that is. There is nothing wrong with any big and dominant group if they grew together (of course with a few free agent trades here and there). And oh Mr. Soggy, those mistakes that you said are unreversible? they are often the mistakes that teaches you the best and would force you to think twice next time. You remember it more clearly when it burns.

As far as having too many fellowships in a limited pool of players? Are you not expecting this game to gain more followers? Besides, I believe in only the strong survive. The more fellowships, the more options for new and even existing players to choose from until the weak is culled from the herd. It's usually a bunch of strangers that forms an FS anyway and they will either come together and grow or split to join another. That is the natural evolution of the fittest.

Besides, I noted that these are only my opinion and it was mostly addressed to Druindar Faric. He can take it for what it's worth.
ty that makes me feel better I feel the same way as you lol

DeletedUser7527

Druindar actually seems to understand perfectly what we "Experts-with-Behinds-Set-on-Fire" (EwBSoF) are saying AND respects it. I'm quite sure most if not all of us EwBSoFs do respect his opinion too. In fact, I think the topic started in this thread actually reached its conclusion one page ago, but the pot was stirred again by what I guess is a New Expert or whatever you might like to call it.

Having said that, I'm done with this thread, happy gaming :)
ty that makes me feel better I feel the same way as you lol

SoggyShorts

Soggy, those mistakes that you said are unreversible? they are often the mistakes that teaches you the best and would force you to think twice next time.
You have no idea what you are talking about here. That's like saying "If you shoot yourself in the leg, at least you learned a lesson"
They are one and done mistakes, so unless you are willing to abandon your city and start a new one, there is no way to apply that lesson you so painfully learned. There is no "next time". Your city is permanently handicapped.
Are you not expecting this game to gain more followers?
If every 10th new player decides that they want to be archmage, how many fellowships will have 25 players?
Hint: since major parts of the game are designed for a group of 25, only about 1 in 25 players should be an archmage.:eek:
The more fellowships, the more options for new and even existing players to choose from until the weak is culled from the herd.
That's not how the game works. Players just continue to play with the friends they have made in fellowships that are 50-70% full. There is no culling.
Having more identical choices does not improve anyone's experience.
That's not how public forums work. If you post something uninformed, others are likely to inform you.

DeletedUser7527

well I don't care what anyone thinks of me I am not giving up on my fellowship and im sticking to my guns I may only have 12 folks here but that suits me fine because I know in time I will have more join us im not hardcore on this game im just here to relax and have fun lol

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
well I don't care what anyone thinks of me I am not giving up on my fellowship and im sticking to my guns I may only have 12 folks here but that suits me fine because I know in time I will have more join us im not hardcore on this game im just here to relax and have fun lol

I think the vast majority of regular players and forum members think you are entitled to run your FS as you see fit. Whether they agree with your methods or not. People might say, "I would do it this way," but they know it is your choice.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Finding new members is difficult, especially if you have some standards you'd like to keep, the biggest being, I think, that they are active. It was mentioned that one should check out every potential recruit on elvenstats.com, and I think that's about the best advice you can take. I did that the other day and checked out all the players not in fellowships over the span from rank 850 to 550. There were just over 40. Of those 30 were not active. The other 10 were sent msgs asking them if they were interested in a fellowship and telling them about the "not drama" and "steady play" of our members. Of the ten 2 have responded, both thanking me for my contact and saying they are content to play as they currently are doing. Thus, out of fifty potential, so far, 0 acceptances. I don't find that bad at all, I find it normal. Of the four player I have recruited in the year I've been AM, one is still with us, and of the other three, 2 have quit playing, and one decided he didn't play enough to justify occupying a spot in our fs. All three left on great terms. Replacements were found by our members more than by me, and I think that's the reason we have such a steady and reliable group.

What does all this history tell me about recruiting? First, it's a process. In most cases my recruits are the people around me or one of our members. I encourage them to consistently visit those around them and with whom they consistently trade. I believe you have to build relationships and demonstrate your own reliability and steady hand before you can expect people to join you. That takes time. Second, I think it means you have to be consistent in your treatment. Treat the people around you as you would like to be treated (I've heard that somewhere before...?? LOL) and eventually, if and when they are ready they will come. Finally, in recruiting you should always be positive. After all, a "no" today may be a "yes" next month, next quarter, or even next year, and if you end your communication (after being 'rejected') on a bad note it's unlikely they will think of you in the future.

Well, that's my advice anyway.

AJ