• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Just me?

Vergazi

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg Nah. I used to spend more time in the forums, but @SoggyShorts cured me of that with his troublesome mathematics and logic...tommyrot! Now I spend more time watching anime and am much happier for it

Alpha Lyrae

I seriously avoid such posts as I try not to make myself look like a dumb@ss whenever possible. I may read them, but I leave THE MATHS to others. :D

Dopeykr

This older coot uses the forum threads for information that I pass on to my Fellowship. Sometimes this requires viewing multiple threads. My biggest concern has been the blatant recruiting done by " He who should not be Named" . There is already a section in forum for this. This needs to be addressed by a moderator.

Alpha Lyrae

This older coot uses the forum threads for information that I pass on to my Fellowship. Sometimes this requires viewing multiple threads. My biggest concern has been the blatant recruiting done by " He who should not be Named" . There is already a section in forum for this. This needs to be addressed by a moderator.

Yes, the forums provide great information. I also appreciate the social aspect of the forums (and the game).

Gath Of Baal

I go through phases with Elvenar and the Forums.. Some times I will go weeks with trying to be helpful on the forums and log into the game several times a day.. Then sometimes I will go weeks without ever checking the forums or even logging onto the game.. But im always on the computer though

Alpha Lyrae

I go through phases with Elvenar and the Forums.. Some times I will go weeks with trying to be helpful on the forums and log into the game several times a day.. Then sometimes I will go weeks without ever checking the forums or even logging onto the game.. But im always on the computer though

Same for me. I even took it so far as to stop playing for a couple years.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
My biggest concern has been the blatant recruiting done by " He who should not be Named" . There is already a section in forum for this. This needs to be addressed by a moderator.
Totally. Or at least they should give us ways to avoid it.;)
culture4.png
culture4.png

I recently had a situation where I found another players use of different fonts to be hard on the eyes and it wasn't until later that I remembered that the answer (option 2 above) was right there the whole time.:oops:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the topic of this thread, I've obviously spent too much time here and I'm thinking a change might be in order

DeletedUser20951

Totally. Or at least they should give us ways to avoid it.;)

I recently had a situation where I found another players use of different fonts to be hard on the eyes and it wasn't until later that I remembered that the answer (option 2 above) was right there the whole time.:oops:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the topic of this thread, I've obviously spent too much time here and I'm thinking a change might be in order
Muahahahahaha! Passive-aggressiveness at its finest. I love it!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I would love to spend more time in the forums but alas, most posts are rather trite and I would rather have a more philosophical discussion on whatever the subject may be. Most people are not likely to actually read anything over about 1 paragraph and usually, even if they actually read it carefully, respond with something that summarizes their feelings instead of attempts to persuade you of your errors. It's sort of like a cook trying out a new recipe and then asking what the family thought of it. If they say, "fine" and leave it at that the cook knows how they feel, but can't improve because he or she doesn't know why they feel that way -- too salty, too spicy, wrong texture, looks bad, smells bad, smells good, tastes .... something more than "fine," please.

I could go on, but won't.

AJ

Crowella

@ajqtrz So what you're saying is that rather than attempting to persuade people of their errors, you're summarizing your feelings?

ajqtrz

While it is true I sometimes express my feelings and do little more than that, most of the time I try to give reasons to explain why I feel the way I do. In my initial post in this thread I am trying to say people are expressing themselves -- i.e. how they feel about my post -- rather than making the attempt to persuade. The difference is that the first -- usually manifested in the expression of emotional response -- tells how you feel about the position taken in the post but does not give reason for the poster to change their position on the subject. The second engages in a discussion where the response is focused on giving reasons for the poster to change his or her mind. And while the fact that a person feels strongly that the position taken in the post is wrong relying on your feelings to persuade the poster that his or her position is wrong is as Aristotle said, only effective if you have a social commitment to the speaker so that you identify with them. In other words, how the one responding feels is a very weak reason for original poster to change his or her mind.

What I'm always looking for, and only sometimes getting, is a focus on the question and why a person ought to hold one answer to the question is true rather than another. Usually when emotions rule they rule poorly. The discussion usually devolves into personal animosity and anger focused on the nature and abilities of the speakers rather than the subject being discussed. Sadly this is what happens way too often in discussing religion, politics, and, as of late, anything else. I think people forget that while we do have a sense of what position is right on a question, our senses of the matter may be wrong and further rational investigation is almost always warranted.

Thanks for asking.

AJ

shimmerfly

If they say, "fine" and leave it at that the cook knows how they feel, but can't improve because he or she doesn't know why they feel that way -- too salty, too spicy, wrong texture, looks bad, smells bad, smells good, tastes .... something more than "fine," please.
A good cook knows that a "fine" doesn't cut it. Like telling a woman that has just dressed for a party she looks "fine". I would go change. You Appear to want a huge debate/discussion over stuff in a game forum. Too heavy maybe?

But to OP I spend way too much time here and am trying to get back to some of my other pastimes. It's not working too well. :rolleyes:

ajqtrz

I've never been able to figure out why anyone would bother expressing their opinion in public and then, at the same time, become upset when a bystander challenges their opinion. What is the point of expressing yourself in public if not to influence public perception of the question? So I expect, when I say something somebody I finds untrue, miss-informed, or perhaps even stupid (yeah, sometimes I even say stupid things..LOL), somebody's going to respond. What I don't expect is that they aren't really interested in discussing the topic. Why bother responding if you have no interest in the subject? Or worse, really haven't done your homework but are just spouting your emotions? After all, why should your passion be the basis of my being persuaded?

So yes, I'm expecting a public discussion or debate even, of the subject. I think expressing your opinion in public is an invitation to others to join in. And most people, I think, understand that. However, most people also think that their opinion is right, and some people seem to think that expressing a summation of how they feel about this or that should be enough to end the debate. Usually, though not always, this occurs when the person offering their opinion hasn't really spent the time exploring the issue much and is just giving us the "current state of the glands," as one professor put it.

If the topic is serious then the discussion should be taken seriously, right? But I don't really want a debate over game features and thus, usually, limit my more serious comments to the "lounge" where "anything is okay," except anything that might upset people or cause them stress when they choose to read what they know might be upsetting. "Am I my brother's keeper?" is a good question. Should I refrain from speaking seriously and putting forth positions that might upset some people? The moderators probably think so or they wouldn't have banned those subjects which tend to upset people, right?

I'm rambling a bit. Sorry. I'll end it here.

AJ

Last edited: