• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Method to rearrange the city

Yogi Dave

They have the sandbox and you can rotate buildings in their newest game, Rise of Cultures. If they had "learned" that it was bad they wouldn't have put in their newest game.
Regardless, I for one like that they can't be rotated. To me it's part of the game style. It forces you to think about city rearrangement, frustrating as it may be.

However, I've heard many people say elvenarch doesn't work well, if at all, on mobile. That makes efficient city design for them more difficult. It'd be nice for someone to create a mobile friendly version of elvenarch. It isn't as easy as many people think to take a program written for one type of platform and port it to another, especially when it's someone running it for free. Inno has different developers for the mobile and browser versions of the game.

Another problem in Elvenar, as @SoggyShorts has pointed out whenever this has come up, is the sheer amount of updating to the artwork of the humongous number of buildings since they weren't created to be seen from any other side. Remember, the artwork also includes the animation in the building too.

Dew Spinner

Regardless, I for one like that they can't be rotated. To me it's part of the game style. It forces you to think about city rearrangement, frustrating as it may be.

However, I've heard many people say elvenarch doesn't work well, if at all, on mobile. That makes efficient city design for them more difficult. It'd be nice for someone to create a mobile friendly version of elvenarch. It isn't as easy as many people think to take a program written for one type of platform and port it to another, especially when it's someone running it for free. Inno has different developers for the mobile and browser versions of the game.

Another problem in Elvenar, as @SoggyShorts has pointed out whenever this has come up, is the sheer amount of updating to the artwork of the humongous number of buildings since they weren't created to be seen from any other side. Remember, the artwork also includes the animation in the building too.
Rise of Cultures has the same space management problems as this game does, space is always at a premium even though you can use a sandbox and rotate buildings. Inno has been giving us one lame excuse after another about why they can't do these two things and it is all a load of bull, if these features are in their other games they can be in this game. If they just don't want to do it then that is what they should come out and say, instead of all the bull. Players would rather be disappointed then to be treated like they are stupid. Hey, Inno, we can see what features are in your other games! We know you have the capability to do these things!

Last edited:

Dew Spinner

Okay, for a technical explanation, here goes: Every game has overhead. This is the amount of processor power needed to just manage the game. Every feature adds to the overhead. The overhead is paid for by the players, as are all things. If the $$ coming in from the player base is insufficient to support the feature, the feature isn't implemented. FoE is a larger than Elvenar and thus the cost of any feature is spread across a larger base. This means more features can be supported.

Now for some discussion.

First of all, the reason FoE is larger and more lucrative is because it has PvP and other aspects of direct combat. It, therefore, attracts a younger and more easily manipulated group of players (at risk of being a bit ageist here). So it generates, I suspect, a bit more $$ per player.

Second, FoE is not only larger and younger, it's more male dominated. According to an interview I read with some Elvenar product development guy, Elvenar is not only an older crowd, but 50% female, an unusual percentage in this type of game which is almost always focused on PvP or has some big, important aspect of it built in. Thus, the ratio of male/female is unusual. Women tend to be more laid back (according to a recent psychology report) in gaming and thus to spend less.

Third, Inno is a business. As stated in the opening paragraph, they won't add a feature to the game that can't pay for itself. So the sandbox, which takes up a lot of server processing, will probably not ever come to Elvenar.

Now, that's my take. I could be, as I sometimes am, completely and utterly wrong. Hopefully, some wiser and more knowledgeable one will correct me.

AJ
FoE's player base is 42% female and the average age is 48. https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/80322/7036545/

Yogi Dave

Rise of Cultures has the same space management problems as this game does, space is always at a premium even though you can use a sandbox and rotate buildings. Inno has been giving us one lame excuse after another about why they can't do these two things and it is all a load of bull, if these features are in their other games they can be in this game.
Seems like a lot of anger in your post. It seems like you perceive Inno is treating you and all of us as though we are stupid. Your choice. Certainly not mine.

Doesn't matter to me if they could or should make these changes and I don't need to be told why. Almost everyone who has started this game has wanted these changes. I did for a while. I thought it would be cool if the portal took us to another plain for us to build the guest race village in. Now, I see these aspects as an integral part of the game I like. From your comments, it seems you wish to see these changes. For me, a game that doesn't cause me to think and get frustrated with having to make choices and compromises gets boring and I move on. Sure, they could add new aspects to reintroduce challenges. In fact, they continually do that but keep some of the fundamental ones, as I see these two aspects.

Do they ignore us? Usually, but they do make some changes to some things that we ask for. It may take years and those can tick us off more than how it was before.

The other games are other games, not this one. Play them if you wish, but please, don't try to get them to make this game into them just because they could.

Dew Spinner

Seems like a lot of anger in your post. It seems like you perceive Inno is treating you and all of us as though we are stupid. Your choice. Certainly not mine.

Doesn't matter to me if they could or should make these changes and I don't need to be told why. Almost everyone who has started this game has wanted these changes. I did for a while. I thought it would be cool if the portal took us to another plain for us to build the guest race village in. Now, I see these aspects as an integral part of the game I like. From your comments, it seems you wish to see these changes. For me, a game that doesn't cause me to think and get frustrated with having to make choices and compromises gets boring and I move on. Sure, they could add new aspects to reintroduce challenges. In fact, they continually do that but keep some of the fundamental ones, as I see these two aspects.

Do they ignore us? Usually, but they do make some changes to some things that we ask for. It may take years and those can tick us off more than how it was before.

The other games are other games, not this one. Play them if you wish, but please, don't try to get them to make this game into them just because they could.
They have the "Different Plain" for guest races in Rise of Cultures too! You build a whole new separate city for them! It's like they take our ideas and suggestions and instead of giving them to us the use those ideas and suggestion for their next new game.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

I only play on mobile. The ability to hide buildings on the move screen, teleport spells, and the new zoom out feature have been a huge improvement to efficient city design.
Glad to hear. I look at perspective players to join our FS and can typically see if they are a mobile only player. Glad to hear it's gotten better and that it may be more difficult to determine that.

However, when you are moving the pieces around, that's actually affecting your city. I usually have an elvenarch plan that I want to implement after playing with it for hours or drop that one and try again another day after thinking about it. It also allows me to look at the building size/shape changes coming so I can incorporate in my design by leaving space. Then when I go to actually change my city, I have it and the actual one in browser windows while pushing the pieces around. Oh, and I've already in elvenarch played around moving the building in the current layout to the new one as I have to do in the actual game, since that too can be a challenge.

It would be nice if they created a version of elvenarch for mobile players to use, but not in a way that allows the buildings to be taken off the board and played where you want them then dumping that design into the real city without having to slide them around to rearrange the city.

Yogi Dave

They have the "Different Plain" for guest races in Rise of Cultures too! You build a whole new separate city for them!
LOL Different plain for a different game. Sounds great if you want to play it. Sounds like you may be playing all 3 games. As long as you are having fun with them, cool. I don't care what they have in the other games. I'm not playing them. It's like people saying, well, in Texas we do it this way, why don't you do it that way in Alaska. It's because we are in Alaska and not Texas. We have Mcdonalds all over the world that are the same, or near enough. Let the other games be what they are and let Elvanar be what it is. I don't want fries with that.

Dew Spinner

LOL Different plain for a different game. Sounds great if you want to play it. Sounds like you may be playing all 3 games. As long as you are having fun with them, cool. I don't care what they have in the other games. I'm not playing them. It's like people saying, well, in Texas we do it this way, why don't you do it that way in Alaska. It's because we are in Alaska and not Texas. We have Mcdonalds all over the world that are the same, or near enough. Let the other games be what they are and let Elvanar be what it is. I don't want fries with that.
It's like they take our ideas and suggestions and instead of giving them to us they use those ideas and suggestions for their next new game.

Alram

Flippers just flip
However, when you are moving the pieces around, that's actually affecting your city. I usually have an elvenarch plan that I want to implement after playing with it for hours or drop that one and try again another day after thinking about it.
I have a 2D master map of my city built in my Minecraft console game that I use when I want to spend days on trying different layout's.
I read about someone else using Legos. :)

Yogi Dave

We give Inno our ideas and suggestions so that we can have those things in this game, not to develop a new game for them.
Sort of. What they do with the ideas here is their business, literally. I'm glad they haven't added the two this thread is about to this game. I don't care if they take what they hear from us to other games. I'm not envious or feel somehow cheated that they do this.

I don't think we are going to agree about this or there is anything new to for me to say here.

Dew Spinner

Just because some players want something doesn't mean that the developers will change the essence of the game for them. I think it's great that they take ideas that won't be implemented for Elvenar and use them elsewhere.
I previously said if Inno doesn't want to do it then they should just say so ,instead of giving lame excuses that they don't have the capability to do it, when we all know that isn't the truth.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I previously said if Inno doesn't want to do it then they should just say so ,instead of giving lame excuses that they don't have the capability to do it, when we all know that isn't the truth.

We have been told many times over the past 8 years that Elvenar will never get rotating buildings. First, making the buildings fit together is a core part of the puzzle aspect of city building. And second is that all the building art is 2d, not 3d, no matter how it looks.

Alram

Flippers just flip
@Dew Spinner

Would you like them to say it again? They have said it so many times, they added it to a sticky for us.
..in the official 'Important, read before posting' sticky at the top of this sub-forum.
From that sticky:
  • Storing Buildings - Players can utilize the Teleport Spell, available through the Spire, to gain the ability to store buildings. There will not be a feature outside of the spell to store buildings

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Rise of Cultures has the same space management problems as this game does, space is always at a premium even though you can use a sandbox and rotate buildings. Inno has been giving us one lame excuse after another about why they can't do these two things and it is all a load of bull, if these features are in their other games they can be in this game. If they just don't want to do it then that is what they should come out and say, instead of all the bull. Players would rather be disappointed then to be treated like they are stupid. Hey, Inno, we can see what features are in your other games! We know you have the capability to do these things!
They did come out and say it (at least for rotation). Players are the ones making the excuses. All the devs have ever said is that building size/orientation changes are part of the puzzle and they do not intend to change them.

Dew Spinner

They did come out and say it (at least for rotation). Players are the ones making the excuses. All the devs have ever said is that building size/orientation changes are part of the puzzle and they do not intend to change them.
They aren't part of the puzzle on their new game, I wonder why they dropped that part of the puzzle for the new game.