• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Method to rearrange the city

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Inno has been giving us one lame excuse after another about why they can't do these two things and it is all a load of bull, if these features are in their other games they can be in this game. If they just don't want to do it then that is what they should come out and say, instead of all the bull. Players would rather be disappointed then to be treated like they are stupid. Hey, Inno, we can see what features are in your other games! We know you have the capability to do these things!
I previously said if Inno doesn't want to do it then they should just say so ,instead of giving lame excuses that they don't have the capability to do it, when we all know that isn't the truth.
I get you're frustrated and it's easy to think the grass is greener on the other side, but sorry, this isn't a "load of bull" at all. This is definitely the case of it's easier to complain without knowing how it's done than understand what you're asking actually involves. In the Mischievous Therapy Q&A, it was again discussed there will be NO rotating of buildings. Elvenar uses sprites for its graphical elements and assets. Sprites are by definition 2D bitmaps. Yes, that's TWO DIMENSIONAL. They are "flattened" images. If you take a picture of the front of a building with your phone camera, you cannot expect to be able to also see the same building from the side, top, back or bottom from the same photo because it's a 2D flat image! Similarly, you cannot get a rotated view of a building from a sprite. They chose an architecture to lay the framework of the game upon and it happen to involve sprites. They developed the game early on with no intentions of being able to rotate buildings. Now you want them to tear down the house, redo the foundation, and then rebuild it, but they're lame to exercise the sane option NOT to? And if you're a manager making these sort of work assignments and budgeting decisions, then I'm sure you'll be running a pretty unprofitable business that will probably not exist much longer. Given the limited budget, manpower, and time constraints, there are many many many other things the devs can be doing with their time than tearing down the foundation and having the art department redo the artwork for every building that's ever been introduced. Rise of Cultures was released in Feb 2021. Elvenar was released in June 2015. Six years in development time is huge. Sounds like they planned to build Rise of Cultures differently from the beginning to allow rotating of buildings. Apples to Oranges.

Dew Spinner

Possibly for the same reason checkers doesn't have rooks? It's a different game, by a different team, with different designers.
Yes, it just seems funny that those different designers are using a lot of the ideas and suggestions from this game, maybe coincidence.

Dew Spinner

I get you're frustrated and it's easy to think the grass is greener on the other side, but sorry, this isn't a "load of bull" at all. This is definitely the case of it's easier to complain without knowing how it's done than understand what you're asking actually involves. In the Mischievous Therapy Q&A, it was again discussed there will be NO rotating of buildings. Elvenar uses sprites for its graphical elements and assets. Sprites are by definition 2D bitmaps. Yes, that's TWO DIMENSIONAL. They are "flattened" images. If you take a picture of the front of a building with your phone camera, you cannot expect to be able to also see the same building from the side, top, back or bottom from the same photo because it's a 2D flat image! Similarly, you cannot get a rotated view of a building from a sprite. They chose an architecture to lay the framework of the game upon and it happen to involve sprites. They developed the game early on with no intentions of being able to rotate buildings. Now you want them to tear down the house, redo the foundation, and then rebuild it, but they're lame to exercise the sane option NOT to? And if you're a manager making these sort of work assignments and budgeting decisions, then I'm sure you'll be running a pretty unprofitable business that will probably not exist much longer. Given the limited budget, manpower, and time constraints, there are many many many other things the devs can be doing with their time than tearing down the foundation and having the art department redo the artwork for every building that's ever been introduced. Rise of Cultures was released in Feb 2021. Elvenar was released in June 2015. Six years in development time is huge. Sounds like they planned to build Rise of Cultures differently from the beginning to allow rotating of buildings. Apples to Oranges.
And yet FoE came out before Elvenar and you can rotate buildings in that game, sounds hinky to me. And having a separate map for guest races couldn't be done either, until it could and having a sandbox couldn't be done either, until it could and a whole host of other suggestions that couldn't be done, until they could. I don't believe a word of it.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Yes, it just seems funny that those different designers are using a lot of the ideas and suggestions from this game, maybe coincidence.
Why would a company starting a new game isolate it from their decade of experience making money? They have millions of data points around what encourages people to spend money and what doesn't. Every game they launch is going to copy the things they think will generate revenue and experiment with things they think don't generate as much revenue as they could. It would be foolish to do anything else.

Case in point: People who hate not being able to rotate buildings can play a different game if they like it better and maybe they'll spend more money in that other game than they would in Elvenar.

Mystery solved: Businesses will do what they think will make them money, no matter how much the 114 most active people on the forums complain that they are wrong. ^1

Notes:
^1) 114 is a humorous stab at the fact that less than 1% of players ever visit the forums and less than 1% of those bother to post more than a half dozen times. 114 is not a carefully researched number intended to reflect the actual number of whingey forum participants. If you try to make a real point about that number being wrong, I will laugh at you.

elvenbee

Because I don't play FOE
I don't want to play FOE
I don't give a $%^& about FOE
And I get tired of people coming here saying Elvenar needs to be like FOE

And it's usually people who think they just had an original thought but are sadly mistaken.
100% agree with this! I tried FOE after starting Elvenar, and didn't stay past day 1 in FOE for a reason. I would leave Elvenar if they made it like FOE.

Dew Spinner

Why would a company starting a new game isolate it from their decade of experience making money? They have millions of data points around what encourages people to spend money and what doesn't. Every game they launch is going to copy the things they think will generate revenue and experiment with things they think don't generate as much revenue as they could. It would be foolish to do anything else.

Case in point: People who hate not being able to rotate buildings can play a different game if they like it better and maybe they'll spend more money in that other game than they would in Elvenar.

Mystery solved: Businesses will do what they think will make them money, no matter how much the 114 most active people on the forums complain that they are wrong. ^1

Notes:
^1) 114 is a humorous stab at the fact that less than 1% of players ever visit the forums and less than 1% of those bother to post more than a half dozen times. 114 is not a carefully researched number intended to reflect the actual number of whingey forum participants. If you try to make a real point about that number being wrong, I will laugh at you.
So they thought those aspects would generate money but just not in this game. I get it?!

crackie

And yet FoE came out before Elvenar and you can rotate buildings in that game, sounds hinky to me. And having a separate map for guest races couldn't be done either, until it could and having a sandbox couldn't be done either, until it could and a whole host of other suggestions that couldn't be done, until they could. I don't believe a word of it.
That's a lie. You can't rotate buildings in FoE either. You only have the ability to wipe your city clean without need for spells. But sure, hear only what you want to hear and keep banging against a wall.

defiantoneks

i'm fine with the inability to rotate. and no sandbox. i consider the city planning challenge to be a reasonable "price" to pay for not having my city looted every day. i exchange one challenge for the other. seems fair to me.

crackie

Sorry, when I google searched that I misclicked and it was actually about another game, I stand corrected. I still think the "sprite" thing is a load of malarkey.
So your phone camera is capable of taking 360 degree images like a google map street view car?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
So they thought those aspects would generate money but just not in this game. I get it?!
That's a weird take. This game is eight years old and has a huge, established, player base which they have identified as one of their most profitable properties. Why would they re-write it from scratch to incorporate things which work in other games that came later?

crackie

Also note how the game only lets you pan and zoom, but not tilt and rotate the city view? Yea, because it's a 2D game with 2D image assets (Hint: Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite). Pan and Zoom does not change a perspective. Tilting and rotating does. You'd need whole sets of different images each time vanishing point changes or moves. Elvenar is NOT a 3D game!

Yogi Dave

i used my legos when i was planning out how to fit all the construct buildings. very handy. certain color for certain builds so it was easy to see & maximize the varying placemen
Nice. Even using elvenarch, I do something similar when I'm going to painfully move my moonstone set. I take them all off the board grouping them according to their types. Then I make an equal size group of Classy Lanterns for the Mana Plant and Decorative Palm for the Gum Trees. I do the same thing for the other pieces too, but those 2 are the main ones. This makes placing them in elvenarch easier for maximum linking. Then when it's time to play Tetris in the actual city, I again move them into groups and take one from group A, then one from group B and the other pieces too. Much less frustrating for me.

Dew Spinner

Also note how the game only lets you pan and zoom, but not tilt and rotate the city view? Yea, because it's a 2D game with 2D image assets (Hint: Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite). Pan and Zoom does not change a perspective. Tilting and rotating does. You'd need whole sets of different images each time vanishing point changes or moves. Elvenar is NOT a 3D game!
According to this, it's about how the Sun shines on the building. LOOOOOOLLLLL!

Yogi Dave

For those not familiar with the term "sprite" in computer graphics:

A sprite is a type of "stand-alone" computer graphic element that has evolved along with modern computer graphics technologies. A sprite is defined as a two-dimensional image or animated image that plays a specific role, often independently manipulated, within a larger image environment.

The term was derived from the fact that sprites, rather than being part of the background data in the screen image table, instead "floated" on top without affecting the data in the framebuffer below, much like a ghost or mythological sprite. Inky, Pinky, Blinky and Clyde from Pac-Man are sprites.

Dew Spinner

Also according to this other video is about the sun shining on the buildings is why they don't allow rotation, never once in these 2 vids does it say rotation can't be done, they just don't want how the suns shines on the buildings to look funny, I knew it was a bunch of malarkey! They don't mention anything about 2D or "Sprites".