• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mykans Guide - Town design by era

Mykan

Oh Wise One
This guide forms part of a larger guide Mykans Guide

Town Design
A general overview of town design is discussed in the main guide under Town design. People often ask if there is a guide of how many workshops, factories, houses, etc to have at each technology era. This section of the guide is aimed at looking at free-to-play towns at fixed points in time to allow people a "guidepost" for each era. Please note there is no correct town design, each town is unique to each person and their play style, personality, objectives, etc.

These towns have aimed for a reasonable level of culture, boosted goods only and have a good stockpile of goods allowing plenty of option to cater in tournaments/provinces, not worrying about having enough goods for technologies or building upgrades. The screenshots come from the Elven architect website.

Here is a chart of the expansions available to a free-to-play town. The minimum province expansions is a person who only explores the required provinces to unlock the chests for the next era. A maximum province expansion is for people who actively pursue exploration on the world map, typically they would be 10-20 provinces ahead of the minimum requirement. For those ahead on province completion there are diminishing returns in respect to expansions. This is because it takes more provinces to unlock an expansion the further along in the game you are. Town designs in this guide will be based on the minimum expansions.
Province_expansions.jpg

Thanks to @architect of Desires and @SoggyShorts for input.

Reviewing towns
When reviewing each town design pay particular attention to the coverage report. Look at how many squares/tiles have been used for a different type of "zone". Blank, wonders and guest race tiles are completely interchangeable for other tiles to suit your own needs and strategy. To a degree some of the culture tiles could also be seen as interchangeable if you plan on having only minimal culture in your town.

Residential, production, goods and to a degree cultural tiles all interrelate. The more factories you build the more other things that need to support it. Towns have a small, not minimum, goods footprint. If you plan to build non-boosted factories you will probably have a larger factory/goods footprint than these towns.

A good discussion of different approaches to zoning for factories can be found here.

Disclaimer
These designs are not to be taken as absolutes or the only way to build a town. There are so many variations of building types and layouts that each person can customise their town as they choose. While I have included town layouts please do not focus on the layout as there are many ways to place the buildings and roads. The coverage report regarding how many squares have been allocated for different "zones" is of the most value for your guide post.

Towns
Elves

Human
  • Era 1
  • Era 2
  • Era 3
  • Era 4
  • Era 5
  • Era 6
  • Era 7
  • Era 8
  • Era 9

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 8 - Elves
Provinces completed is 193, the requirement at the end of Era 8 is 190, 193 unlocks another expansion.
Era_8_Design_1.jpg
The two wonders in the town are the Lighthouse and the Mountain Halls.
Era_8_Design_1_Coverage.jpg

A couple things to note with this town:
  • Town is part way through the Orc era and not all technology expansions are unlocked. I believe all 3 tech expansions for this era are still to be unlocked (Might update/confirm this later)
  • Sections of the layout are poorly done as the town is changing the orientation of the residential buildings due to the change between Fairies and Orcs.
  • With around 8,000 extra population there is room to remove some old fairy style residences should additional space be required, as well as upgrade factories and armouries
  • There are 145 tiles of empty space if we include wonders and guest race tiles that is 395 tiles of space, almost 23% of the town. This can be used for any strategic benefit like wonders, more guest race space, military, factories etc.
  • 138 tiles for goods - This is on track with the 40 squares per tier recommended in the main design section of the guide. By factory type:
    • 50 tiles of Basic goods, this could drop by 1 factory to 40 tiles, the extra factory was to support a marble shortage in the fellowship and for additional catering in tournaments.
    • 48 tiles of crafted goods. Each factory is 16 tiles so 3 were required to cross the 40 tile number
    • 40 tiles of magical goods. This is right on 40 tile mark and is serving the town well.
  • Goods in the town are several hundred thousand per type. By some standards this is excessive so it is feasible a smaller goods footprint could be viable if desired.
  • This town predominately caters and negotiates despite the barracks level which was level 2 at the start of era 8.
  • Culture regularly sits at 160% with neighbourly help. If you prefer a minimum culture option you could convert some culture tiles into residences and other preferred buildings.

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 3 - Elves
Provinces completed is 50. This town has taken a more focused approach to wonders and thus spent longer in era 2 and 3 then one might with a different approach.
Era_3_Design_1.jpg

The two wonders are the gold abyss and the tome of secrets. The town did have culture buildings from events that have been replaced with normal culture buildings for this example.

Era_3_Design_1_Coverage.jpg

• There are 43 tiles of empty space if we include wonders that is 68 tiles of space, almost 10% of the town. This can be used for any strategic benefit like wonders, military, factories etc.
  • 96 tiles for goods - This is lower then the 40 squares per tier recommended in the main design section of the guide. By factory type:
    • 42 tiles of Basic goods, good coverage and ample to handle catering in tournaments.
    • 24 tiles of crafted goods. The first tournament for this town was its boosted tier 2 good, as such it has had accelerated production ealy reducing the pressure for the third factory.
    • 24 tiles of magical goods. The tournament production bonuses and focus on wonders have meant no pressure for extra factories. It would be expected this town will be able to let the tier 3 factories naturally grow to the 40 squares without the need for a temporary third factory.
  • The focus on wonders has meant a focus on tournaments as well. This has had to be done by catering, and has allowed for more runes and faster KP to grow the wonders. The Gold Abyss wonder makes a big impact on this towns design due to its population and gold at this stage of the game.

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 6 - Elves
Provinces completed is (to be confirmed). Thanks to @SoggyShorts for his help.
Elve_Era_6_Design_1.jpg
Elve_Era_6_Design_1_Coverage.jpg

• There are 80 tiles of empty space if we include wonders and guest race tiles that is 291 tiles of space, almost 20% of the town. This can be used for any strategic benefit like wonders, more guest race space, military, factories etc.
  • 166 tiles for goods - This is slightly above the 40 squares per tier recommended in the main design section of the guide. By factory type:
    • 90 tiles of Basic goods, this could drop by 2 factories to 40 tiles, the extra 2 factories help in the fellowship and for additional catering in tournaments.
    • 36 tiles of crafted goods. Each factory is 12 tiles so 3 is just short of the 40 tile mark while 4 would push it over to 48 tiles. Judgement call based on needs is best in this instance.
    • 40 tiles of magical goods. This is right on 40 tile mark and is serving the town well.

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 1 - Elves
There are 2 design options for the end of era 1. The first includes the magic academy and the second does not. The technology for the magic academy arrives at the end of era 1 and comes at a critical building phase with a limited stockpile of relics acquired (the input for the building) it was felt 2 options should be presented should a person plan to complete this building later. Future town designs will include the magic academy and only show 1 design option.

Number of scouted provinces for both designs is 10.

Option 1
Era_1_Design_2.jpg
Era_1_Design_2_coverage.jpg

This particular town has planks as a boost but you will note 16 tiles were dedicated to goods, this can be used for towns with different boosts, in the case of steel for elves this would be 4 factories for 16 tiles. You will note space is at a premium at this stage. your focus is to start building a stockpile of resource (coins, supplies, goods, and armies) to enable you to unlock technologies and provinces as needed.

Option 2
Era_1_Design_1.jpg

Era_1_Design_1_coverage.jpg

As there is no Magic Academy this town has increased the number of manufactory tiles to 24. The residence and workshop space has also increased to accommodate the extra manufactory space. Note how single tile cultural buildings were used to "bookend" the roads.

Last edited:

DeletedUser4778

Nice. My soon-to-be problem is converting 3x3 buildings to 2x4 ones when I complete the research for Dwarven Residences. At least I'll free up quite some space after I finally do it.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 5 - Elves
Provinces completed is 83, I have added 2 extra expansions to that would be gained in earning the required 100 provinces to complete the era.
Elve_Era_5_Design_1.jpg

Elve_Era_5_Design_1_Coverage.jpg

• There are 97 tiles of empty space if we include wonders and guest race tiles that is 186 tiles of space, almost 15% of the town. This can be used for any strategic benefit like wonders, more guest race space, military, factories etc.
  • 118 tiles for goods - This is equal to the 40 squares per tier recommended in the main design section of the guide. By factory type:
    • 48 tiles of basic goods.
    • 36 tiles of crafted goods.
    • 40 tiles of magical goods.
  • With neighbourly help the culture bonus is often 170%

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 9 - Elves
Provinces completed is 220, the requirement at the end of Era 8.
Elve_Era_9_Design_1.jpg
Elve_Era_9_Design_1_Coverage.jpg

• With around 4,700 extra population there is room to remove some residences for other options.
  • There are 84 tiles of empty space if we include wonders and guest race tiles that is 514 tiles of space, approx. 25% of the town. This can be used for any strategic benefit like wonders, more guest race space, military, factories etc.
  • 160 tiles for goods - This over the 40 squares per tier recommended in the main design section of the guide. By factory type:
    • 72 tiles of Basic goods, this could drop by 1 factory to 54 tiles.
    • 48 tiles of crafted goods. Each factory is 16 tiles so 3 were required to cross the 40 tile number
  • Goods in the town are several hundred thousand per type and 1-2 mil for basic goods. By some standards this is excessive so it is feasible a smaller goods footprint could be viable if desired.
  • This town predominately caters and negotiates minimal military is used and facilitates tournament play to reduce demand on supplies.
  • Culture regularly sits at 160-170% with neighbourly help. If you prefer a minimum culture option you could convert some culture tiles into residences and other preferred buildings

Last edited:

Eldenisa Tiege

Thank you. Konniver contacted me to say that the Elvenar Architect database is so large that he would not be able to find one for me.

So if you or someone else could find an example of a Human Dwarven City layout. I would much appreciate it.

Of course, I can just design my own, but it's so much more fun to see how someone else has done it!

Eldenisa

Deleted User - 4404748

hi @Mykan - the image links appear broken for me. Has anyone else reported having this issue? Thanks!

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Yeah it has been mentioned but not in this section, issues with hosting site. I have corrected some but not all of them. Thanks for the reminder.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Yeah it has been mentioned but not in this section, issues with hosting site. I have corrected some but not all of them. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks for all you do, Mykan. The image link for Orcs is broken for me too, but your info is still useful.

I have to admit, I do invest more squares into my T1 factories; they are still maxed out at Dwarven level since I haven't yet researched planks for Orcs. Since I cater a good deal I find my planks factories very useful. About 70 squares go to them, at the moment, planks only, and I always give a 5 percent discount in the trader to get marble and steel, so the trades go fast. I never have what I call an abundance of goods. I am sitting on about 140K planks right now, and about 90K each of marble and steel. When you cater a great deal in the spire, it goes really fast. Is it possible that the recommendation was made before the spire? Or that it's assumed people will fight that? I just don't know how I could manage with only 40 squares on T1 factories.

Come to think of it, I exceed the square recommendations on all factory levels, (not by as much as planks, but at least by 10 each) and I don't think I'm hoarding goods. The spire and tourney just take a lot out of me. I do fight the tourney through level 3 or 4, but I only cater in the spire. I have four level 20 armories, so maybe I'm just wimpy for not utilizing them to full advantage, lol. But even just fighting through three or four levels in tourney take a lot of troops (yay me, I broke 4000 on tourney for the first time this week.) I'm always on the hunt for supplies because of the troop costs.

I never have more than a few empty squares. I'm maxed out on exploring provinces ... I have enough to open the next chapter already and I'm not even a third of the way through Orcs. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Darielle

Actually it was made long before the Spire. The Spire appeared in August 2019 while this guide is from October 2016. Not even sure there were tournaments at this time.
Thanks, yes the spire does add a lot more needs, if you cater.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
yes the information above is likely somewhat out-of-date due to spire and tournaments. Not to mention the myriad of new things to speed a town through a chapter that also did not exist back then. Nothing like seen a dwarf town capable of not building the guest race because the spire gave it so many portal profits.

On reflection I won't update the graphics as it is a bit involved and the aging of the information would require a massive update.

Darielle

yes the information above is likely somewhat out-of-date due to spire and tournaments. Not to mention the myriad of new things to speed a town through a chapter that also did not exist back then. Nothing like seen a dwarf town capable of not building the guest race because the spire gave it so many portal profits.

On reflection I won't update the graphics as it is a bit involved and the aging of the information would require a massive update.
No worries; it's still very useful even so.

Just a correction; I should have said they were maxed out at fairies level since I haven't yet researched orcs. :)