• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Need answers

Hello I'm new to the game (6 days) I've unlocked about 1/4 of the map so far by negotiating with planks, marble and steel (3 premium expansions too). And as I keep going I'm wondering.. if I never make a chards,silk and scrolls manufacturer can I keep on negotiating with just the marble, planks and steel? I've already went into scrolls and silk provinces and I'm still only negotiating with planks, steel and marble so I'm really hoping I can just keep going until it's all open. I'm assuming no because it's too good to be true but I can't find the answer anywhere so please if you know I'd appreciate feedback

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
Hello I'm new to the game (6 days) I've unlocked about 1/4 of the map so far by negotiating with planks, marble and steel (3 premium expansions too). And as I keep going I'm wondering.. if I never make a chards,silk and scrolls manufacturer can I keep on negotiating with just the marble, planks and steel?
The provinces around your city are in rings, the requirements change in different rings, the farther away from your city the higher and more varied the cost. Here are two screen shots showing different costs in different rings. Ring 5:
Elvenar_2023-08-14-07-59-47.jpg

Ring 13:
Elvenar_2023-08-14-08-02-38.jpg
Also, those little green guys in ring 13 are orcs you can not even make those until chapter 8. I believe they are required to negotiate in any ring over 10.

Edit to add: You are new so the costs in ring 13 might make your eyes pop, don't sweat it. By the time you get there it will be nothing, you will be able to afford it.

Last edited:

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Hello I'm new to the game (6 days) I've unlocked about 1/4 of the map so far by negotiating with planks, marble and steel (3 premium expansions too). And as I keep going I'm wondering.. if I never make a chards,silk and scrolls manufacturer can I keep on negotiating with just the marble, planks and steel? I've already went into scrolls and silk provinces and I'm still only negotiating with planks, steel and marble so I'm really hoping I can just keep going until it's all open. I'm assuming no because it's too good to be true but I can't find the answer anywhere so please if you know I'd appreciate feedback
As @Iyapo noted, the rings will get more expensive as you continue out. However, with the exception of the orcs, they will never ask for a resource you haven’t unlocked yet. Once you unlock the next set of manufactories, provinces will start requiring those second tier goods, but not until then. However, you’ll very quickly run out of things you can do at all if you don’t unlock them, so it’s not advised to put it off for that reason. ;) (Also, I know scouting seems like a tempting way to unlock more space or gather kp, but it’s seriously advised for new players not to unlock more provinces than are required to get into the next chapter. You can see that number in your research tech tree. If you scout much farther than that, the costs will quickly become astronomical compared to what your city can produce, and many new cities have gotten themselves in a real pickle, being unable to take part in events and having to wait months for their cities to stabilize.)

Welcome to the game! :D The Wiki didn’t address this particular question, but does have much information and is suggested reading when you’re trying to learn about something new. The Scrolls of Knowledge section here on the forum is also a good resource, consisting of collected links and player-contributed info sorted into categories.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
The best thing you can do is to look ahead to the next chapter level. See how many provinces are needed to unlock that chapter. Go ahead and do that many provinces ... you can do more, but you don't want to do more than are needed for 2 chapters (or 3!) ahead of where you are now.

If you wind up seeing all your provinces turn red for very hard difficulty, you'll know you've overscouted. The game doesn't advise you on that problem, so I can sympathize if you've done that. (I did too.)

The best thing you can do is to look ahead to the next chapter level. See how many provinces are needed to unlock that chapter. Go ahead and do that many provinces ... you can do more, but you don't want to do more than are needed for 2 chapters (or 3!) ahead of where you are now.

If you wind up seeing all your provinces turn red for very hard difficulty, you'll know you've overscouted. The game doesn't advise you on that problem, so I can sympathize if you've done that. (I did too.)
They've all been very hard pretty much the whole time I've played. Thats why I just gave up on fighting and went all in on the negotiations. So far I'm making great progress. New question, is there a limit to how many marble, steel and planks manufacturers I can make?

As @Iyapo noted, the rings will get more expensive as you continue out. However, with the exception of the orcs, they will never ask for a resource you haven’t unlocked yet. Once you unlock the next set of manufactories, provinces will start requiring those second tier goods, but not until then. However, you’ll very quickly run out of things you can do at all if you don’t unlock them, so it’s not advised to put it off for that reason. ;) (Also, I know scouting seems like a tempting way to unlock more space or gather kp, but it’s seriously advised for new players not to unlock more provinces than are required to get into the next chapter. You can see that number in your research tech tree. If you scout much farther than that, the costs will quickly become astronomical compared to what your city can produce, and many new cities have gotten themselves in a real pickle, being unable to take part in events and having to wait months for their cities to stabilize.)

Welcome to the game! :D The Wiki didn’t address this particular question, but does have much information and is suggested reading when you’re trying to learn about something new. The Scrolls of Knowledge section here on the forum is also a good resource, consisting of collected links and player-contributed info sorted into categories.
Thank

Thank you! One more question.. is there a limit to how many steel, marble and planks buildings I can build? If there is a cap.. is it e.g 10 steel all together? Or is that cap for each manufacturer separately?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
The costs change based on the rings ( I believe). Initially the costs are:
  • coins/golds/T1 (marble, steel or planks) - can be a mix of 2 or 3 of these
  • then T2 goods are added so up to 3 of coins/golds/T1/T2 (scrolls, crystal, silk)
  • eventually T3 (gems, dust, elixir) are added in and around there supplies is dropped, eventually coins as well
  • It will then be T1/T2/T3 until you get to the 10th ring when orcs are added
If you start getting costs for items you have not researched yet it is a good indicator you are scouting very quickly or not in a "circular" pattern.

They've all been very hard pretty much the whole time I've played. Thats why I just gave up on fighting and went all in on the negotiations. So far I'm making great progress. New question, is there a limit to how many marble, steel and planks manufacturers I can make?

You would be on the new tech tree which fixed the issues of fights been too hard too quick, so you must be scouting very quickly or further in certain directions (so scouting ring 4 and 5 with provinces still in ring 3 as an example). While I don't agree with the "overscout" concept or minimum scouting you do need to be mindful of not overstretching yourself. Game is balanced on minimum scouting so having more than minimum does help.

There is no limit on factories other than your space, culture and population. With the FA event beginning you might see some people squeeze in 100+ manufactories. Based on what you are doing as advised stick to your boosted goods only as it will maximise your production and trade for the other resources. You will eventually need space for your boosted T2 goods so plan for that as you grow. You want to get each new factory area to 40 squares (each race and factory is a different size so count squares not factory numbers, production per square is basically equal) as quick as space allows, from there tweak numbers up and down based on your spending and space. Similarly you will want 6-10 workshops depending on a few factors, especially frequency of play and premium workshops. More play or more magic ws the less you will need to keep production strong.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
New question, is there a limit to how many marble, steel and planks manufacturers I can make?
There is not a limit to how many you can have. However: as you advance in the game and continue to do upgrades, your manufactories tend to grow in size. And they also require more and more population with each upgrade. The increased size and population requirements of higher level manufactories will become a limiting factor. The good news is that the upgraded manufactories produce way more goods, so you will not need as many. It is fairly common to have a high number of tier 1 manufactories early in the game and to drop some of them as you progress further.

Serena McTavish

The provinces around your city are in rings, the requirements change in different rings, the farther away from your city the higher and more varied the cost. Here are two screen shots showing different costs in different rings. Ring 5:
View attachment 16410
Ring 13:View attachment 16414 Also, those little green guys in ring 13 are orcs you can not even make those until chapter 8. I believe they are required to negotiate in any ring over 10.

Edit to add: You are new so the costs in ring 13 might make your eyes pop, don't sweat it. By the time you get there it will be nothing, you will be able to afford it.
Shocking hahaha, i never equated that green wreath to the ring count. I was always wondering how far out i was and didn't feel like manually counting. Ive been playing for 3 years . Lol

The costs change based on the rings ( I believe). Initially the costs are:
  • coins/golds/T1 (marble, steel or planks) - can be a mix of 2 or 3 of these
  • then T2 goods are added so up to 3 of coins/golds/T1/T2 (scrolls, crystal, silk)
  • eventually T3 (gems, dust, elixir) are added in and around there supplies is dropped, eventually coins as well
  • It will then be T1/T2/T3 until you get to the 10th ring when orcs are added
If you start getting costs for items you have not researched yet it is a good indicator you are scouting very quickly or not in a "circular" pattern.

You would be on the new tech tree which fixed the issues of fights been too hard too quick, so you must be scouting very quickly or further in certain directions (so scouting ring 4 and 5 with provinces still in ring 3 as an example). While I don't agree with the "overscout" concept or minimum scouting you do need to be mindful of not overstretching yourself. Game is balanced on minimum scouting so having more than minimum does help.

There is no limit on factories other than your space, culture and population. With the FA event beginning you might see some people squeeze in 100+ manufactories. Based on what you are doing as advised stick to your boosted goods only as it will maximise your production and trade for the other resources. You will eventually need space for your boosted T2 goods so plan for that as you grow. You want to get each new factory area to 40 squares (each race and factory is a different size so count squares not factory numbers, production per square is basically equal) as quick as space allows, from there tweak numbers up and down based on your spending and space. Similarly you will want 6-10 workshops depending on a few factors, especially frequency of play and premium workshops. More play or more magic ws the less you will need to keep production strong.
Thank you so much for the answer. I'll keep expanding with the 3 types of factories and many residences as long as I can until it gets too hard to negotiate with only level 2 factories. It won't last forever but it's at least a mini hack for now being. I'm thinking I can get half the map open at least quicker this way. Then I'll have more room to do things later. I've saved up 5 expansions so far and got nearly 1/4 open so far already too

There is not a limit to how many you can have. However: as you advance in the game and continue to do upgrades, your manufactories tend to grow in size. And they also require more and more population with each upgrade. The increased size and population requirements of higher level manufactories will become a limiting factor. The good news is that the upgraded manufactories produce way more goods, so you will not need as many. It is fairly common to have a high number of tier 1 manufactories early in the game and to drop some of them as you progress

There is not a limit to how many you can have. However: as you advance in the game and continue to do upgrades, your manufactories tend to grow in size. And they also require more and more population with each upgrade. The increased size and population requirements of higher level manufactories will become a limiting factor. The good news is that the upgraded manufactories produce way more goods, so you will not need as many. It is fairly common to have a high number of tier 1 manufactories early in the game and to drop some of them as you progress further.
I've upgraded the 3 and maxed out the 2nd level as far as possible but on my research tree I'm stuck because I don't want to unlock crystal, scrolls and silk rn. For now I'll just keep building more factories and residence until the negotiations get too hard or take days. I'm hoping to at least open half the map before I start cramming in more factories. Thank you so much for the clear answers

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
I've upgraded the 3 and maxed out the 2nd level as far as possible but on my research tree I'm stuck because I don't want to unlock crystal, scrolls and silk rn. For now I'll just keep building more factories and residence until the negotiations get too hard or take days. I'm hoping to at least open half the map before I start cramming in more factories. Thank you so much for the clear answers
I’m not sure what you mean by “half the map”. The map is made up of all players on the same server as you. It’s not possible to explore it all, or even a defined fraction of it. (Unless you mean the city area…?)

You also may have missed the suggestion about only building one type of factory and trading for the other goods. You have one type of the three (in your case, steel), which receives a production boost from the relics you’re getting in the provinces. The more steel relics you collect, the bigger your boost will get, up to 700%. The other two manufactories will not receive a boost, which means they will be increasingly inefficient in comparison. It is a much better use of space to build only steel manufactories and place trades for the marble and planks you need.

With that said, of course you are free to build your city how you prefer! I just want to make sure you understand the game mechanics before making choices that may hinder you down the road. :)

I’m not sure what you mean by “half the map”. The map is made up of all players on the same server as you. It’s not possible to explore it all, or even a defined fraction of it. (Unless you mean the city area…?)

You also may have missed the suggestion about only building one type of factory and trading for the other goods. You have one type of the three (in your case, steel), which receives a production boost from the relics you’re getting in the provinces. The more steel relics you collect, the bigger your boost will get, up to 700%. The other two manufactories will not receive a boost, which means they will be increasingly inefficient in comparison. It is a much better use of space to build only steel manufactories and place trades for the marble and planks you need.

With that said, of course you are free to build your city how you prefer! I just want to make sure you understand the game mechanics before making choices that may hinder you down the road. :)

Yes I meant the city. I see your point and I'm saddened to have to delete all my hard work but if I can easily trade e.g. 100 steel for 100 marble I guess that would make a lot more sense. I hope the trades aren't hard or capped or something. I'm so afraid to do this but I'm gonna just commit and see. I appreciate your feedback.

Moho

Chef
I'm saddened to have to delete all my hard work
I think it is important to build an efficient city if you want to have fun in this game, especially since space is quite scarce here.

Here's a corner of one of my Chapter 6 cities:

i36.jpg

I have only built boosted factories. Make sure you join an active fellowship (active members are very much sought for here on the forum boards) and you will never run out of resources. My city is a hybrid one (that is, I both cater and fight). At the moment I cater the Tournament because it is fast and convenient (i.e. I can afford it). By having only boosted factories I can save a lot of space (more than the space occupied by the factories themselves).

I have magic residences and magic workshops. They are much more efficient than regular ones. But I did not spend my diamonds on them--I won them in the Spire. Use your diamonds to get an additional builder first, and upgrade the Magic Academy to the max. This is very important. You can get more builders afterwards. And you should only rush until Chapter 5, when you have access to the Spire. Take your time in Chapter 5 to upgrade everything in your city (including a limited number of Ancient Wonders) and accumulate resources and all the stuff you need to run your city. And to plan your playstyle carefully.

Armories are important if you decide you want to fight. Fighting is faster and more efficient in the Spire. Go to the top of the Spire on a weekly basis together with the members of your fellowship and you'll win enough diamonds to use in case of emergencies.

Last edited:
@December Frost Yes, as you progress you will need all the resources. Continue building your boosted manufactories only though, and trade for the others.
I went ahead and deleted my other ones and I'm now trying to trade steel for marble and nobody wants steel it seems. I did 1200 steel for 1000 marble. If I try to search for people demanding steel there is only one person and it's 12m steel for 9m yikes. Is steel just not very sought after? How long does a trade normally take? I was hoping for a quick wam bam but it's been 6 hours now and still a no go

I'm having trouble trading steel for marble. I tried 1200 steel for 1000 marble it's been about 6 hours and still a no go. When I search steel demands there's only one person demanding 12 mil steel for 9m marble. I cannot do that yet. Is steel a hard trade? How long does a trade normally take?