• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feedback Official Elvenar Discord server

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
@ajqtrz Actually you can do tables and links and photos in most discord gaming servers but unfortunately Elvenar has their server set to where nobody can at all except for certain people. I was told some of that might be changing soon.
Now, in private chats with friends I have been able to type long messages. Never tried a long one in a server yet though.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I went to Discord and finally got in. Then I tried to move our post here for The Consortium. Copy and paste. Simple, right? Nope! Discord has a very small limit on the size of the post. Sigh. Discord does not do tables. Sigh, Sigh. The only way to get it was to redo it and split it into 2 parts....while stripping as much as possible from the explanations. And that is, in my opinion, the core problem.

Forget that I can be "wordy." The key difference between a forum and a chat is the length of the messages allowed. Facebook is a prime example of a glorified chat service. I tried to have a discussion on facebook years ago and found that not only did I have to constantly break my msgs up into pieces, so did a lot of my friends. So we quit. A formum is not a place to just "chat." It's not a back and forth concept. A forum is a "post it on the wall, let people come by, read it, and then post their replies." A "chat" "sit down with a cup of coffee and let's talk with the rapid back and forth of two people." Now forums are slower, but, generally speaking, a bit deeper because they allow for thought development. You don't have to keep your thinking to 160 characters at a time. Chats are quicker, sharper, and move from topic to topic much faster. They are more easily derailed, but that's just their nature. (In RL a chat move from topic to topic every 30 seconds, on average).

So, in the end, if they kill the forum here, they kill anything that can actually function as a forum. Discord is just another social media chat. The only positive thing you might say about it is that it provides us with the much missed "universal chat."

Finally, I might remind others of the previous user started Discord channel. I don't believe it lasted long even though there were a lot of us who went over to check it out. It didn't meet our needs then, and I pretty much am sure it won't now.

AJ

I totally agree. I'm beginning to wonder if they moved to Discord simply because we got too wordy in our complaints and want to limit them. :(

defiantoneks

here's a fun tidbit: i typically keep the forums tab open on my mac along with several others running. if i keep Discord open like that, my fan kicks on and the machine runs hot. Close the tab for Discord, all quiet in mac-land. Bye Bye to having discord open.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Si was was remembering the game I played before I was forced to find Elvenar.
I forget what it was called. It had something to do with Marvel Super Heroes.
They had a very active forum and decided to shut it down.
The game ended up dying.
I hope this does not lead to the same conclusion.

btw I've gone back to discord. It still sucks.

When I hit quote and then hit insert quote it isn't doing what I'm wanting it to or thinking it should lol.

I think I saw someone reply to you but let me try to do a step by step.
Maybe it will benefit others.

1 Obviously, hit quote on the post you are replying to.
1A You can also highlight just a section of the post and hit quote just on that section.
1A.II If you highlight, note you can also hit "reply" and you will automatically be taken to typing box with the quoted section already inserted.
2 (If you did not do 1AII )
Continue reading posts and quoting others you may want to reply to
3 click the reply box
you will see all the quotes
hit "insert, all the quotes will go into the reply box

Note. You can delete or edit quotes in the box. And when doing multiquotes, you can put your reply directly below the quote.
Note 2 . When you quote a post. If you change your mind you can go back to the post and hit the ' - quote ' button and it will unquote that post.

hth

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I've been giving this some serious thought and have come to a conclusion.

The two excuses I've seen put forward for trying to get people to move to that crap show is

To save money. If that is true then I hope it backfires big time on the greedy jerks.

The other excuse is to try get more participation. Because you know, that crap show is what all the cool kids are using.
And if that's true then my conclusion is, Inno Be Idiots.
Do they really think they'll get more people just because that platform supposedly appeals to a younger crowd?
First of all, basing your business on the latest social media fad is a lost cause. Because before you know it (that place i refuse to name) will be just as hip as MySpace.
And secodly. They are operating off a false assumption. They think many people don't use the forum because it isn't groovy?
Maybe, just maybe. more people don't use the forum because THEY ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING NOT TALKING ABOUT IT you simpletons.
It doesn't matter where the talk is happening. A lot of people just don't care.

There, is that a detailed enough feedback for you?

Oh I looked again

Still sucks

Yogi Dave

This. And the fact that most FS members if they have questions, turn to leadership. They ask their fellows in chat, and someone can reply. More than likely you have a limited few who do research, keep an eye out for changes, etc and then communicate that directly back to the FS via messaging.
This is pretty much what happens in my FS. There are a couple of us that check both the beta and this forum. There are a couple of others who check this one every now and then. We give people in the FS info about what is coming down the pike or search for things in here and the wiki to answer some questions.
They are operating off a false assumption. They think many people don't use the forum because it isn't groovy?
I just like this comment. Is groovy still used today? I'm 71, so from the generation of groovy, far out, don't trust anyone over 30, etc.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I just like this comment. Is groovy still used today? I'm 71, so from the generation of groovy, far out, don't trust anyone over 30, etc.

i'm not far behind you.
i actually did meet a 30ish year old guy a couple years ago who kept saying "groovy". It "freaked me out" a bit. He was a musician and I thought maybe he was the reincarnation of Pete Seeger. Then I remembered Pete was still alive and decided that was unlikely. Now if he said "far out" I'd have gone with John Denver.
And yeah, you gotta laugh at the "over 30" thing.

Oh btw
Just so I'm not accused of going off topic.

That site that shall not be named, sucks.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
It will be interesting to see how it goes. I already use discord for fellowship so easy enough to pop over. But from my experience with other games and a brief one of this so far is there may seem to be more people but less being said of any substance. Mostly seems to be a world wide chat for anything and everything. Not very useful for learning things about the game...so far.

I also find it interesting that they are segmenting the servers in chat again, but one way to get better participation is have a wider group of people discussing things. Not that I am complaining as I defected from one of those servers due to the high negativity on its forum (US forum is a ray of sunshine in comparison for those who think this server is negative).

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Well, because Discord can be used as a website in the browser, I made an account, just to read announcements or for emergencies, but I do not like the layout or the channels and the chat format. I used the in-game invite and joined the Elvenar channel, but if you see my name, I am almost surely not online there. lol

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I actually like discord a lot, but functionally, it's apples and oranges trying to compare it with a forum, like many have already stated.

Word is, that not nearly enough players were engaging in the Forums and they needed to improve engagement.
The other excuse is to try get more participation. Because you know, that crap show is what all the cool kids are using.
Not enough engagement can be a true statement. It just isn’t a good blanket statement. For example, the EN forum has half the members of the US. There’s a reason why a lot of international players use the US forum instead of their own. And from there, it only gets worse. Brazil’s forum only has 587 members (and yet, they get the default billing on the wiki domain redirect for wiki.elvenar.com) and Norway has 169 members. So maybe yeah, it's true those markets may not meet the engagement goals and nobody would miss a beat if their forums disappear. However, the US forum is the most active by far and its members and content dwarfs the other markets many. times. over. The consequences of smaller markets like Tonga continues to haunt us, even when nobody is left to still get that joke. And those are only the numbers of registered users. Most people who use the forum are lurkers that never register or post. Probably came to it from search engine trying to figure out something in the game. If they don't even want to register for the forum, then what are the chances they'll bother with registering for discord? All the info/resources will now be behind a registration wall and unsearchable bc bots can't index them.

The game ended up dying.
Exactly this. Doesn’t matter if a game exists if nobody is left playing. It's "less work" until it becomes no work for anyone. The players pay the bills. I get the decision to move platforms come from higher up and our poor CMs are just messengers of bad news, which is why I hadn't really bothered to chime in because who here is really going to convince upper management when we have a hard time just reaching devs about game issues? And I don't even think upper management is insensitive to our plight, just that they're too far removed and probably spread too thin to know what's happening from the perspective of boots on the ground. Cause in what business world does it make sense where killing the biggest community is a winning move?

The US is the biggest market, but somehow, we keep being treated like an after thought. How long did they leave us rudderless without a captain manning the ship after helya left? I mean, it’s not exactly a bug free game. They literally just left us alone for a prolong period with bugs going unreported and no communication, except for the occasional scheduled announcements, which could have been done by a nameless robot (oh wait, it eventually was). The US community is still recovering from an unholy year of a dumpster fire experience and now we're told they're about to kick us again. Such endearing VIP treatment for being the largest market.

I used to get messages from random strangers that tell me they're going through a rough patch and real life crisis had forced them to take a break from the game, but they still come to the forum because it makes them smile. Now I don't have enough fingers to count how many people tell me the opposite. They don't want to come to the forum anymore because it makes them sad and depressed. The first group will take a break and come back to the game when they are able, no matter how crushing their RL crisis hit them. The second group is never coming back. They aren't leaving because of something in the game. They left because of management, or the lack thereof. That said, I appreciate the current team taking feedback to at least try to make the best of their directive to move us though. That's more ear than we've been offered in a long time. They're probably overworked and underpaid too, but at least in a period of staffing crisis, they aren't spending time and energy prioritizing burning dusty old threads and then leaving us in the wake of unattended dumpster fires because the permission settings were all messed up in all those archives. Those others guys broke the forum, but trust that they'll get discord to purr. Even so, I don't doubt staff will eventually iron out the discord bugs and it'll be a smoother experience in time. Technological hurdles aren't what concerns me. It's you can't triage the heart of the community to a fancy new home in some styrofoam cooler. The US community has taken a few hits already, but this one will be a doozy. The patient might survive, but sometimes, even if surgery is successful, they'll still end up being half the person they once were.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Si was was remembering the game I played before I was forced to find Elvenar.
I forget what it was called. It had something to do with Marvel Super Heroes.
The game ended up dying.
I hope this does not lead to the same conclusion.

btw I've gone back to discord. It still sucks.

I think I saw someone reply to you but let me try to do a step by step.
Maybe it will benefit others.

1 Obviously, hit quote on the post you are replying to.
1A You can also highlight just a section of the post and hit quote just on that section.
1A.II If you highlight, note you can also hit "reply" and you will automatically be taken to typing box with the quoted section already inserted.
2 (If you did not do 1AII )
Continue reading posts and quoting others you may want to reply to
3 click the reply box
you will see all the quotes
hit "insert, all the quotes will go into the reply box

Note. You can delete or edit quotes in the box. And when doing multiquotes, you can put your reply directly below the quote.
Note 2 . When you quote a post. If you change your mind you can go back to the post and hit the ' - quote ' button and it will unquote that post.

hth
Tysm! That was exactly what I needed!

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
The first group will take a break and come back to the game when they are able, no matter how crushing their RL crisis hit them. The second group is never coming back. They aren't leaving because of something in the game. They left because of management, or the lack th
What scares me the most about this is that when that first group does come back and really needs someone in here specifically to talk to, the Forums will be gone by then. The people here helped me through my rough year. Thankfully I have them in my world to be able to message and find them.

FaunWillow

(Re-posting what I've written on Beta, over here :))

I love Discord for very specific reasons. I use it to communicate with family, friends and to view hobby interests.

I don't like the idea of only having the Discord server available for Elvenar content. It just doesn't seem like the appropriate place for a whole gaming forum, in this case. Not to mention all the past content that will be lost once these forums are gone.

Discord can be a quick place to glance at any recent announcements and events posted, much like texting or messaging....and that's exactly what Discord is labeled as, "Discord is an instant messaging and VoIP social platform. Users have the ability to communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called "servers".

Everything else outside of quick texts/chats becomes tedious and frustrating to click through or try to find. It's too time-consuming.
If you aren't checking the server pretty regularly, it can be very easy to become overwhelmed, lost or feel left out.

Visually, Discord feels impossible to navigate and find what you'd like to read about, if you are someone who is not an active chat & social media-savvy individual.

There is too much searching and scrolling required on Discord, where over here, everything is pretty orderly in comparison.
It's really too bad we can't keep both. I am enjoying chatting with the Elvenar community on Discord...but it just isn't structured well enough to hold everything we see here, over there.

And anywhere you have a forum type community for gaming, it's guaranteed that the majority of folks are there solely to read information rather than engage in feedback or discussions, so I don't think that's a good basis for shutting these forums down...in all honesty, it is making it worse by losing this community's voice that has already been established on each Elvenar forum.

Ramseyneena

Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the official Discord server!

We're looking forward to your feedback!

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team
I like it! Though I don't understand the need for another chatting platform other than to stay connected better, I guess. But it's still fun, and it's my first time on a Beta chat so that's cool!

Ramseyneena

(Re-posting what I've written on Beta, over here :))

I love Discord for very specific reasons. I use it to communicate with family, friends and to view hobby interests.

I don't like the idea of only having the Discord server available for Elvenar content. It just doesn't seem like the appropriate place for a whole gaming forum, in this case. Not to mention all the past content that will be lost once these forums are gone.

Discord can be a quick place to glance at any recent announcements and events posted, much like texting or messaging....and that's exactly what Discord is labeled as, "Discord is an instant messaging and VoIP social platform. Users have the ability to communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called "servers".

Everything else outside of quick texts/chats becomes tedious and frustrating to click through or try to find. It's too time-consuming.
If you aren't checking the server pretty regularly, it can be very easy to become overwhelmed, lost or feel left out.

Visually, Discord feels impossible to navigate and find what you'd like to read about, if you are someone who is not an active chat & social media-savvy individual.

There is too much searching and scrolling required on Discord, where over here, everything is pretty orderly in comparison.
It's really too bad we can't keep both. I am enjoying chatting with the Elvenar community on Discord...but it just isn't structured well enough to hold everything we see here, over there.

And anywhere you have a forum type community for gaming, it's guaranteed that the majority of folks are there solely to read information rather than engage in feedback or discussions, so I don't think that's a good basis for shutting these forums down...in all honesty, it is making it worse by losing this community's voice that has already been established on each Elvenar forum.
I agree with you. I think the Forum could be a more official site while Discord is another backup site for additional content, ideas, etc