• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Overscouting Good/Bad/neutral

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Apparently something is wrong when the majority of new player complaints relate to over scouting.

I am very sincerely wondering where this came from. This has not been my experience and I have been reading the forum for over 5 years. I honestly believe that I have seen far more complaints about not having enough space than I have ever seen about over scouting. I find it really, really WRONG for anybody to assert that their perceived way of playing (even if it isn't even true that they played that way) is the best and/or only way. The one thing I know for a fact is that the day I try to tell players that they have to, or even should, play the way I have and still do is the day that H__ freezes over. I can say that I am too impatient to not spend $ to have kept things rolling forward because otherwise this game is too slow and restrictive for me. So, my advice would be to either "over scout" and get expansions to keep growing or have a credit card handy :p It really makes me angry when a fairly newbie bullies and shames players who do not agree with them and do what they say!

StarLoad

've heard of it, but not got my hands on a copy. I have read studies that show the function of the brain is shifting to more visual and that the attention span of people has shortened by a lot since the invention of television. In the end we are becoming a right brain dominant society and while that's good for survival, it isn't so good for building strong civilizations.
I am sorry but I dont follow, can you draw me a picture?

Dew Spinner

That was a pretty huge paragraph to admit that yes, you did spend a very significant amount of real $$$ on premium expansions that play a huge roll in how much space you have. Thanks.
Conveniently left out the parts about not having them in early chapters and how skewed your numbers were because you didn't factor in diamond sales combined with expansion sales but I expected that. Done argueing with you on this, Have a great day!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Conveniently left out the parts about not having them in early chapters and how skewed your numbers were because you didn't factor in diamond sales combined with expansion sales but I expected that. Done argueing with you on this, Have a great day!
Here ya go
1. I have topped the spire every week since the 1st week I unlocked it
2. was lucky with magic residences, magic workshops and moonstone libraries because of topping the spire every week
3. was in a silver spire FS from the get go and moved to a gold spire FS by chapter 5
4. With all that said, a 200% diamond sale combined with a 10% off expansion sale goes a long way.
So 3 unrealistic expectations followed by an admission that you spend significant RL $$$ to get to where you are.
Nice, thank you.
how skewed your numbers were
Expansion sales skew numbers by...10%? I thought it rude to ask, but if you want to tell us how much $$$ you spent you can correct me.

Dew Spinner

I am very sincerely wondering where this came from. This has not been my experience and I have been reading the forum for over 5 years. I honestly believe that I have seen far more complaints about not having enough space than I have ever seen about over scouting. I find it really, really WRONG for anybody to assert that their perceived way of playing (even if it isn't even true that they played that way) is the best and/or only way. The one thing I know for a fact is that the day I try to tell players that they have to, or even should, play the way I have and still do is the day that H__ freezes over. I can say that I am too impatient to not spend $ to have kept things rolling forward because otherwise this game is too slow and restrictive for me. So, my advice would be to either "over scout" and get expansions to keep growing or have a credit card handy :p It really makes me angry when a fairly newbie bullies and shames players who do not agree with them and do what they say!
I would honestly say that every single event since I have been playing is this complaint that they can't proceed with the event because it turns out they are over scouted and I wish I had $5 for every post I have read asking what the green heads are.

Dew Spinner

Here ya go

So 3 unrealistic expectations followed by an admission that you spend significant RL $$$ to get to where you are.
Nice, thank you.
I meant your math about how many diamonds/$ it would take, I have previously stated I did not have those expansions in the early chapters. I think you need to reread my comment.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I meant your math about how many diamonds/$ it would take
How is my math wrong? The price of expansions is clearly posted on the wiki.
As for how many you got for free from the spire my very generous estimates seem to be in line with your statements so as I said, correct me where I was wrong.

Dew Spinner

How is my math wrong? The price of expansions is clearly posted on the wiki.
As for how many you got for free from the spire my very generous estimates seem to be in line with your statements so as I said, correct me where I was wrong.
200% diamond sale used during a 10% off expansion sale. You also didn't figure in silver spire FS and gold spire FS.

Dew Spinner

Like I said, 10% difference so 144,050 diamonds *0.9 = 129645.
The 200% sale doesn't change how many diamonds you spent.

I assumed gold spire from day one, as stated.
It does change how much money I "supposedly" spent, you are trying to paint me as a whale, which I am not, and when I point that out, you obfuscate., argue and attack, in that order, because that fits your agenda. Considered yourself "ignored" I am done with your constant attacks and the mods don't seem to want to do anyting about it, so, you will have to find a new target, I'm done with your childish behavior, it's beyond the pale.

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
What the heck is wrong with admitting to buying premium expansions? Am I supposed to be ashamed of buying every one as they come available? And fully intend to buy the 2 I’m expecting when the next chapter comes out. @Dew Spinner Why is that so upsetting? Isn’t it a good thing to support a game you play so much? I’m glad I have been able to. Others may not be as fortunate or inclined to spend their entertainment budget here. If able to buy them that’s great. If not you may find it necessary to over scout. So what?!?!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Since there is so much disagreement and confusion, just what is everyone's definition of over-scouting? I think the general definition used by the game is having scoutable provinces that are either Hard/Orange or Very Hard/Red, though that does not account for the short stretch around chapters 4-6 when none of them seem easier than that.

StarLoad

Hi my name is ED and I bought Premium Expansions, I am at 6500 Diamonds for the next expansion so I have bought 18 so far and as for real money spent I am sure it is way more than I want to add up. BUT, I do not regret nor feel bad about supporting the game.

Dew Spinner

What the heck is wrong with admitting to buying premium expansions? Am I supposed to be ashamed of buying every one as they come available? And fully intend to buy the 2 I’m expecting when the next chapter comes out. @Dew Spinner Why is that so upsetting? Isn’t it a good thing to support a game you play so much? I’m glad I have been able to. Others may not be as fortunate or inclined to spend their entertainment budget here. If able to buy them that’s great. If not you may find it necessary to over scout. So what?!?!
He is and always has tried to portray me in a bad light, when I try to set the record straight, he just changes the subject and ignores everything I have said and I am done being bullied and attacked constantly, having the mods look the other way and have some forum members "like" his bulling comments and/or jump on the dog pile. I have said from the beginning that this forum is a toxic environment but it doesn't ever seem to change nor do some forum members want it to change. , called me names and the mods and other forum members seem to be perfectly fine with that. He is allowed to continue his 5th grade behavior while I am told to stop. I am sure this comment will be taken down shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

StarLoad

Since there is so much disagreement and confusion, just what is everyone's definition of over-scouting? I think the general definition used by the game is having scoutable provinces that are either Hard/Orange or Very Hard/Red, though that does not account for the short stretch around chapters 4-6 when none of them seem easier than that.
Scouting past the provinces needed to complete the chapter?

Tehya1

My entertainment budget is very slim atm, so I am kind of forced to overscout to expand, and I am trying to place only buildings that give me more than just culture. I scout as little as possible, and I won't abandon my first city, but the game does kind of make overscouting inevitable unless you are content to wait things out. I felt pessue to progess though the tech tree too because new playes ae left out of a lot until they can do tourney and spie. Tourney is quick, but being able to finish provinces in the tourney is hard unless you have army, boosters, fire chicken, resources, etc. The issue of over-scouting is complex. I do it, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Yogi Dave

In my opinion the main problem with over scouting (going beyond the number of provs to enter the next chapter -or- not being able to win a fight -or- afford catering) is when the game starts requiring orcs before you can produce them. It'd be nice if that one caveat was prominently mentioned including when that occurs. Seems like it was ring 10 (please, please correct me if I'm wrong) I liked the idea of the banner on the world map someone suggested. It made me chuckle, but I know that's impossible. It made me think of "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

There is another problem with over scouting. There are now event quests requiring either fighting a world prov or using pet food. Pet food is a scarce commodity for many people, especially those in the early chapters, and fighting can become impossible with over scouting. Also, @Mykan and others have mentioned how even without over scouting it can become very difficult to impossible to win battles between chapter 3 and dwarves. So it's another hamper to the newer players who may not have the spell frags and relics to make pet food or have used the have. They are blind sided by quest 7 in this event. I think it's not fair to many players.

As for myself I tended to not over scout until after orcs. I needed the advanced scouts tech's cost reduction since it is the cost of scouting that determines how many troops they will bring and the cost to cater. That is how I have played the game. Now I'm scouting 24/7 since it takes over 5 days to scout. I tend to only clear them for events. I've cleared 663 and have 18 ready to clear when needed.

As for a lot of the conversation here it doesn't matter. It seems like a lot of trolling and reacting to the trolls. You aren't going to change intrenched beliefs here. Please, just let that aspect of the thread die a horrible death and move on to something constructive.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
He is and always has tried to portray me in a bad light, when I try to set the record straight, he just changes the subject and ignores everything I have said and I am done being bullied, having the mods look the other way and have some forum members "like" his bulling comments and/or jump on the dog pile. I have said from the beginning that this forum is a toxic environment but it doesn't ever seem to change nor do some forum members want it to change. Called me names and the mods and other forum members seem to be perfectly fine with that. I am sure this comment will be taken down shortly.

I’m sorry you feel that way. I would like to make a suggestion. @SoggyShorts and I have never played the game with the same play style. Often we would be considered polar opposites. The way that has played out over the years is that he offers a whole lot of practical advice that has and does help innumerable players, including me. At the same time I have never felt that I could not offer up what many might consider not so practical. My experience has been mutual respect for different approaches to progress through the game. I enjoy this game. Soggy enjoys this game. And, I bet you enjoy this game. It is obvious we all play our way. That includes whether or not we are willing to spend on things like expansions;)

Last edited by a moderator: