• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Poaching of players should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Thanks !! Im gonna try this @BrinDarby … it’s frustrating that i can’t get it to work :D I think maybe i let the water boil to much , so I’ll try the simmer . As for rice , it makes me even more mad .. I stick to uncle bens instant:)
Rice is the easiest thing in the world. The trick is a "very" heavy pot, the kind where the heat doesn't dissipate too quickly, with a good tight fitting lid. Just throw 4 cups of water into it, bring it to a rolling boil, throw 2 cups of white regular rice into the pot, stir to get it evenly distributed, then turn off the burner and close the lid and forget about it. Come back half hour later and you have rice. If you don't have a heavy pot, but just a thin one, it won't work.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I love how we completely derailed this conversation.

Perhaps you did not completely read OPie's opening statement.

I honestly think that private email solicitation of players that are already in an existing fellowship should not be accepted and any player that does this should be banned. It is almost as bad as people who use instant rice. Come on people. Learn to cook rice. It is not that hard.

nuff said

Lady Dastardly

For poached eggs I crack my egg into a small glass bowl with a smooth lip. I use barely simmering water, and then stir it to make a little whirlpool. You know, just like the FA pit. Slide the egg from the bowl into it's nice warm whirlpool and the motion helps the whites cling to the yolk. Mine still aren't brunch restaurant pretty, but that's given me the best results so far.

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Ya got any good tips for simple non instant rice ??

I'd read the packet instructions, always works for me! :D (I actually mean it, every rice is a bit different.)

And I poach everything that is poachable, no exceptions. With eggs, I do them in a frying pan filled with boiling water, the shape is not perfect but it's definitely easy.

Moho

Chef
i03.jpg

Zoof

Rice. Select jasmine or basmati rice. Put 4 cups rice into pot [EDIT: Prior instructions unclear. Could burn rice], then add water until waterline reaches height of your index finger's second knucklebone from the top of the rice line. Add onion, ginger, turmeric. Blast on high heat until waterline goes below rice line. Switch to low heat, cover and wait about 15-20 minutes. Do not open the lid. Do not check the rice during that time. Observing the rice before it is done affects the quantum waveform of good vs bad rice, causing it to collapse into the "bad rice" form.

Good rice is like good fellowship. Tradition demands you share it, and everyone will prosper for it.

[EDIT 2: Every stove I've done this on was a gas-fired stove. No idea if this'll work with an electric range. Also. That stove. Use its timer if it has one.]

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I use the smallest pot, of my good quality set. 1 cup water, bring to a boil, turn down to 1, add 1/2 cup of rice clap lid on. Then lift lid once. Cook about 15 minutes.

OP is my near neighbor on Win. We exchange visits, trade, and otherwise don't try to recruit from each other. I wrote her a nice letter when she launched the thread.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
You guys are the best ! I will be trying every suggestion.
My stove and I don’t get along real well … lol
I tend to get distracted easily ;)
I’d hire a chef in a heartbeat but I don’t eat enough to make it worthwhile. Then I’d prolly feel sorry for him that he needed a friend so I’d have to hire a maid :p

I’m not one to give up on anything so I think I’m gonna need a lot eggs…
How many eggs a day does a chicken lay ? I could always use another beneficial pet lol.
I’ll conquer the rice once I get a picture perfect poached egg.
Does rice keep for months? LOL

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I tend to get distracted easily ;)
I’d hire a chef in a heartbeat but I don’t eat enough to make it worthwhile. Then I’d prolly feel sorry for him that he needed a friend so I’d have to hire a maid :p

I’m not one to give up on anything so I think I’m gonna need a lot eggs…
How many eggs a day does a chicken lay ? I could always use another beneficial pet lol.
I’ll conquer the rice once I get a picture perfect poached egg.
Does rice keep for months? LOL
Good laying hens will normally lay one per day during peak production.

White Rice keeps forever if it's sealed in an air tight bucket (and of course not cooked, lol).

Try my method with a cast iron pot. Sure, you have to wait longer for the rice (10 minutes or so longer) but that's a lot better than forgetting the rice, even on low, and suddenly noticing that you're on Elvenar and you smell rice burning from your kitchen. Been there, done that. Turning it off completely and then forgetting to go back and get it a half hour later only means that you'll wind up with cold rice, not a huge mess. I've tried everything, and for me that's best because I can't even remember to tie my shoes anymore, lol (yeah, I've tripped on them.) :p

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Team Zojirushi here! As the resident confused chef of The Anthill™, yesterday, we discussed my culinary faux paus of using my rice cooker to make pancakes. You're welcome! I'm here all day for more tips on how to never have to cook for other people again.

Oh, and my stove and I don't get along real well either. I'm more just a fan of the fire part. Buddy and I did learn the other day from fellow ants about how flammable coffee creamer is though. They make very impressive fireballs, like up there with trying to deep fry your Thanksgiving turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.