• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Pop Up ads and their control.

quin629

Another control that seems to be working for me on my PC is my low quality (low speed) internet service. I've yet to have a video ad. I'm not clicking on the city treasures but have been using the hobby room to boost my T1s for the FA. I only get a static ad op-up from the hobby room and at least 50% of the time it's a blank box. The 5 or 10 second timer counts down and I close it before a picture or words appear. And I still get my reward.

Hey, works for me.

Katwick

Cartographer
Elvenar doesn't need to share your (rough) location, because your browser does it every time it makes a request to a server.
Unless you're using a Virtual Private Network such as AVG or Norton.

And most browsers have an Incognito mode which obscures your IP address.

BUT, given that you're going to get ads of some sort unless there's a subscription model, I'd just as soon see ads that MIGHT be relevant.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
When your browser (or app) contacts the ad server to request an advert, that request contains your machine's IP address. This a series of numbers that represents your computers' location on the internet. It is not a physical address, but it can be used to find your rough location. IP addresses are not assigned randomly. An address with a number similar to yours (but a different ending) is likely to be in your town, even in your same neighbourhood.

Elvenar doesn't need to share your (rough) location, because your browser does it every time it makes a request to a server.

And now, for further consideration. Their was, and may still be, a discussion of assigning router addresses by location. The IP address level would be the actual GPS location of the router plus an elevation number above sea level. Not THAT would really give up the farm, which is probably why it's, so far, gone no where.

AJ

Yogi Dave

Yeah, I know about IP addresses since I do network programming for power systems and such. I do know it's the service providers location the ad companies are seeing. I have a firewall and VPN hosted by my company, but that is in the same service area. I don't want to use a commercial VPN since that's just another piece of pipe in the line. Why should I trust them? The question becomes, "Who watches the watcher?"

Except for this game and forum, I avoid social media because of their all too often abuse of the user's info. Whether on purpose or due to ignorance doesn't matter. However, with more and more companies only being on facebook it is becoming more difficult to avoid just as blocking cookies and other info the browsers were/are giving. Yes, I'm paranoid, but that's because I've read about the abuses and hear about them from my co-worker who is our system's administrator and gets info about new security issues and updates.

My point is the ads should not be coming directly from the ad companies to us. Inno should have a set of them to send. Thus, only Inno would have the user's IP addresses. Inno has abdicated that power to the ad company which is just another leak in the pipe.

In my first post on this topic, I didn't make this point since I hadn't thought it all out. I just wasn't happy with getting an ad tailored to my location. Reading the responses since then has helped me gel my point. So, thanks for all the responses.

Siorse

My advice is to go through all your apps permissions and turn off location. That's what I've done and along with a VPN it seems to work seeing as I've gotten ads(the few I do get) in everything from English to Arabic.

Yogi Dave

My advice is to go through all your apps permissions and turn off location. That's what I've done and along with a VPN it seems to work seeing as I've gotten ads(the few I do get) in everything from English to Arabic.
Even if I took your advice, most players won't see it, much less follow it. The 3rd party advertisers knowing my location is not the point. The fact that they do know it implies info is going to them. Is it just the IP of my service provider they get? Possibly, if it's only that, I really don't care. Some might. If they also have my name or can derive it from what they are given, they have access to my electronic footprint which we all have spread all over the place. Telling me how to hide that has no meaning since I'm not looking for advice on how to change my computing habits. Saying we need or might need to change our computing habits due to the new feature is the point. And as I said in an earlier post, not knowing my specific situation reduces the value of your advice.
and thus any privacy during gameplay, prolly breaking EU laws.....
abdicated.... lolol, they've abdicated more than just which ads to show
And again, not the point. Though you do like the comedic side of the concept of privacy on the internet. Yes, it's impossible. To use a service I must use, I'd have to go back to snail mail and another, I'd have to go in person. I could do that, but then I wouldn't have to play around in the forum, and I'd have to buy a lot more gas for my car etc.

Yogi Dave

Here is a player's experience with an ad. This should never ever happen. Yes, you can advise everyone to use ad-blockers, etc. but you are only talking to a small percentage of the players, and you can wash your hands of the rest.

Or you could just use a more secure browser. Just do a search for 'Secure browser' and I'm sure you'll find something suitable. :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@Sodbury You are correct. The browser you use and the settings you set it to determine if your location is included. It's very hard, though, to keep that rough location a secret permanently unless you use some kind of remote server to present your presences to the Internet. They come in several flavors. VPN (Virtual Private Nework) is the most common. Using it you go through the VPN server and anything you send out should hide your original IP address. So, if the server is in New York and you are in California and you request something form some X website it should think you are in New York, or, usually, knowing it's a VPN server, that it doesn't know where you are. "Obfuscated" VPN also hides that you are using a VPN. You can also use a TOR server (can't remember what TOR stands for), but it sends your data through a whole bunch of servers, each independent of each other and run by volunteers, and thus "scrambles" the route until nobody knows from where the original came except for each "hop" along the way. And since each request is randomly routed, it's pretty hard to figure it all out.

A second set of ways works temporarily. You can ask your ISP for a different IP address. Since the IP address of your router (the "gateway" to the internet) is "public" in that it is necessary for the Internet to know it if it is to communicate with you, the physical location gets "known" in various ways pretty quickly. But it takes some time. So you can try to have your ISP change that number. It used to be if you just unplugged the router and then plugged it in a again you would get a different number...though it was usually so close to the original it took far less time to figure the approximate physical location... but now ISP's pretty much assign static addresses to their equipment. Not all of them do, but the big players, I find, do so. Still, it might be worth a shot. Another way is to join a different network. Your company probably has different networks for different things, and if you talk nicely to the IT department they might move you. But if they are that sophisticated you are probably using a VPN server anyway. Any targeted ads, in that case, are because you live close to the building that contains the VPN servers.

Third, a sort of hybrid set. You can use a NAT firewall. It's not a firewall so much as a firewall going through a NAT server. All the devices connected share a single public address, so if you are far enough away from the NAT server (like VPN) you won't get the localized adds. Sort of like VPN but without the need to log into a VPN server. Or you could try to use more sophisticated tools that scramble, hide, or other wise make it difficult to find your IP address, but to do so you really need to know what you are doing lest you end up with no Internet at all and/or an ISP with a bad attitude toward you.

If you've noticed, all this relies on changing your "Public" address. That address is necessary to route things back to you. All the methods named above are there to make it appear you are not where you are. And that's one way to keep things private. There are, to this explanation, a lot of "caveats" and "more complicated and thus more accurate" explanations, but this will have to do for now.

AJ